TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Re: Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Originally Posted by wmansir
Did anyone notice that the on screen graphic for The Killing Joke said 1975? I'm not a comic geek but I'm pretty sure it was published in the late 80's.
Yup, I noticed that error too.
Old 03-21-12, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Yes, companies should do all they can to make the most profit possible, but what Marvel and DC did catering to the speculators was rather shortsighted. They should have known speculators wouldn't stick around like long-term readers do, but yet they were catering almost solely to the speculators and alienated the actual readers who began leaving in droves. That wasn't a good long-term business strategy getting rid of the long-term readers, because once the speculators move on to something else there is nobody left buying, and that's exactly what happened.

I don't think there is any more apathy towards printed material now than ever before. Thinking that kid's today don't like reading is looking through rose-colored nostalgia glasses. In any given generation, a large number of people have never liked reading. Things haven't really changed that much. We just think so because when looking at the past we tend to only remember the good and not the bad. The popularity of the Harry Potter books showed that a lot of kids still like to read.

I think more than anything its just that video games have stolen a large percentage of the marketshare away from reading for entertainment. The Playstation era is when video games started becoming extremely popular and mainstream, and this was the late 90s when the comic industry started struggling. I don't think that is coincidence. The Atari 2600, NES, and SNES were all popular, sure, but nothing compared to the Playstation and Xbox era.
I would agree, the comic book industry made a series of shortsighted moves in the early 90's that led to the bust. People forget there was a huge influx of new comic book readers after the first Michael Keaton Batman film in the late 80s. Instead of trying to build repeat customers, both DC and Marvel (though Marvel tended to be much worse) started pulling all sorts of crazy sales tactics that only work temporarily.

Once people realized these comics were never going to be worth more than cover price, the speculators all left the industry and took many actual customers with them.
Old 03-21-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think there is any more apathy towards printed material now than ever before. Thinking that kid's today don't like reading is looking through rose-colored nostalgia glasses. In any given generation, a large number of people have never liked reading. Things haven't really changed that much. We just think so because when looking at the past we tend to only remember the good and not the bad. The popularity of the Harry Potter books showed that a lot of kids still like to read.
We will then agree to disagree. Growing up my parents owned a print shot, and I worked about 18 years in newspapers and publishing. There is a serious crisis right now regarding printed material – ALL printed material. As newer generations become accustomed to getting their information on a computer screen the chasm between those who prefer the printed word over the digital one continues to grow. Just look at how many daily newspapers and magazines have either disappeared or have seen their circulation drop. I invite you to read some of Pew Research Center’s State of the Media reports from the last five years. It’s really bad.
Old 03-21-12, 10:12 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
We will then agree to disagree. Growing up my parents owned a print shot, and I worked about 18 years in newspapers and publishing. There is a serious crisis right now regarding printed material – ALL printed material. As newer generations become accustomed to getting their information on a computer screen the chasm between those who prefer the printed word over the digital one continues to grow. Just look at how many daily newspapers and magazines have either disappeared or have seen their circulation drop. I invite you to read some of Pew Research Center’s State of the Media reports from the last five years. It’s really bad.
Smart 'print' will go online. I don't plan on sending a telegraph anytime soon either or calling someone from my LAN line.
Old 03-21-12, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by madcougar
Oh. I thought you were talking about kids not liking to read, since we were talking about what caused the industry to crash in the 90s. While digital is taking over nowadays, it barely even existed back then. Computers were just then starting to get popular with Windows 95.

I agree that newspapers and magazines are hurting, but I don't think comic books really fall into the same category. Comics are collectibles; newspapers and magazines are not. People will always want to collect comic books, and a digital comic isn't really a collectible.
Old 03-21-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I caught the Killing Joke's wrong date right away and, like a complete nerd, had to exclaim the correct date. My wife just shook her head.

I remember going into a comic shop the morning that McFarlane's Spider-Man #1 was released. I got there when they opened and the clerk was still putting the comics on the shelves and asked me if I wanted a Spider-Man. I replied "sure" and he asked me how many I wanted. When I told him "one" he thought I was nuts. I don't recall how many he said he was buying but I do remember his response when I asked him "Why?":

"I'm going buy a house or put my kids through college with the money I make on them."

And this was from a guy who was at least college-aged and should have been familiar enough with the industry (he did work in a comic shop) to know better.
Old 03-21-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Wasn't Spider-Man #1 was dependent on which variant you got. Was it the black/gold cover that was super limited in its print run?
Old 03-21-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree that newspapers and magazines are hurting, but I don't think comic books really fall into the same category. Comics are collectibles; newspapers and magazines are not. People will always want to collect comic books, and a digital comic isn't really a collectible.
The comic book industry is hurting too, I assure you. Collectible or not.

The biggest problem is that there are fewer and fewer people who want to collect comics. Where you a collector when you read your first comic? Maybe the younger generation start out as collectors but I was born in the 60's and the first comic I read was an old tattered Captain Marvel Adventures. I read hundreds or thousands comics between then and when I became a "collector" in the 80's. And by that I mean I began to preserve the comics with bags and backing boards and ending up buying more than I read. To this day I have a shit-ton of Image comics that I never got around to reading. Until then I'd read and re-read a comic till the cover fell off and then I'd read it some more.

Any industry, comics included, that doesn't build a customer base to replace those that outgrow it or for whatever reason leave it is going to have trouble and collectors and speculators aren't enough to sustain it. I haven't studied the industry or its finances but I'd bet that if it wasn't for the money that comic related movies have been bringing in the publishers would be in dire condition right now.
Old 03-21-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Wasn't Spider-Man #1 was dependent on which variant you got. Was it the black/gold cover that was super limited in its print run?
I can't recall all the details but there were bagged versions and unbagged versions, some silver, some green. Then there was a gold version that I think was a second printing. The version I was talking about was the regular, direct sales silver version that the clerk was stockpiling.
Old 03-21-12, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
I caught the Killing Joke's wrong date right away and, like a complete nerd, had to exclaim the correct date. My wife just shook her head.

I remember going into a comic shop the morning that McFarlane's Spider-Man #1 was released. I got there when they opened and the clerk was still putting the comics on the shelves and asked me if I wanted a Spider-Man. I replied "sure" and he asked me how many I wanted. When I told him "one" he thought I was nuts. I don't recall how many he said he was buying but I do remember his response when I asked him "Why?":

"I'm going buy a house or put my kids through college with the money I make on them."

And this was from a guy who was at least college-aged and should have been familiar enough with the industry (he did work in a comic shop) to know better.

I did make some coin on the Killing Joker 1st run. I had a 100 of them (I order 10 but put a extra 0). Went to a comic show sold them for $50 each (others where trying to get $75 to $100) was kick out by the time I sold 80 copy's. I still have 5 copies of the 1st run.

The Spiderman, I did have one of each cover. I do not remember what cover was what but one was worth some coin. I sold it that day also, before I read it.

What happens is or back then. Their is a new report on TV about some person selling a comic for $$$ and there you go, everyone thinks a comic with .10/.12/.20 is worth $$$. back in the day they did not print very many of them. Then in the late 80s and 90s. This cover, that cover, a card, bagged, 100,000,000 copies printed.

The only person that makes money is the wholesaler of them. I would buy them for 20% of cover, sell them (wholesale) for %60. At times I would even go to shows (before the internet) and walk out with $$$. Ok,, I did not walk out I was ask to leave.

Here's one for you Death of Superman. This was in the news, print, radio for weeks before it came out. Yes the Robin one was not.
Old 03-21-12, 12:15 PM

I can't recall all the details but there were bagged versions and unbagged versions, some silver, some green. Then there was a gold version that I think was a second printing. The version I was talking about was the regular, direct sales silver version that the clerk was stockpiling.
Not sure if they did a 2nd run of these or not. But I do know they have 3 versions. I have to look (I have some in the back). The Bag one was the one at the time was wroth $$$. The comic shops was/were selling them for 8 to 10 cover. Sorry that is nuts.
Old 03-21-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Getting back on topic... I actually ended up liking this show more than I ever imagined after that first episode. I hope they get a second season. Woudln't mind seeing a female in the mix regardless of the name of the show.
Old 03-21-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The issue really was that people stopped reading them and just collecting them. Collections were always a bi-product of people who enjoyed reading them, and when that flipped in the late 80s/early 90s the market never really recovered. We also had an influx of speculator scumbags who came into comics after the bottom fell out of baseball cards.

I used to make decent money as a kid buying collections from the want ads and at flea markets and things. I borrowed the money from my dad the first few times, I'd buy a whole collection for pennies on the dollar (usually some parent who's kid moved out, trying to clear some space) take what I wanted, and sell the rest to local comic stores and managed to pay my dad back plus some profit and have enough money left over to buy another collection. This was pretty lucrative when you are 8-14 years old. I managed to always have money and had a collection of probably 5,000 books. When I was 18 I sold almost my entire collection to finance moving out of my parents house and I got ten times what I could have gotten for them even a year later. Since then I've probably rebought 80% of those comics that I sold, except I probably paid about 5% of what I originally paid for them.

For years I had about 10 copies of Amazing Spider-Man #129 and 10 copies of Giant Sized X-Men #1 that I got from buying collections. I'd sell one a year in the late 90s/00s and saw them steadily decline in value.
Old 03-21-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by drq2
Here's one for you Death of Superman. This was in the news, print, radio for weeks before it came out. Yes the Robin one was not.
I don't think either of those issues is worth much. Everyone and his brother bought them.
Old 03-21-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I assume this was the Spider-man comic one of the posters was referring to

Old 03-21-12, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Yeah, that's it. McFarlane started on Amazing Spider-man around #290 or somewhere thereabout. He just did the art, but eventually he wanted to write as well, so Marvel gave him his own book to both write and draw. It ended up being complete shit. He was a great artist, but his writing was horrible.
Old 03-21-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Well that's the GOLD ink version of the comic book. If you ever find that one with a UPC in the botom left corner instead of Spidy's profile, please mail it to me. I'll give you $3 for it.
Old 03-21-12, 04:47 PM
Banned

Any industry, comics included, that doesn't build a customer base to replace those that outgrow it or for whatever reason leave it is going to have trouble and collectors and speculators aren't enough to sustain it. I haven't studied the industry or its finances but I'd bet that if it wasn't for the money that comic related movies have been bringing in the publishers would be in dire condition right now.

I believe it was Marv Wolfman who said that in the 1970s any title that sold less than 175,000 was immediately canceled. Most titles today do good just to break 100,000.

When DC relaunched last year, a few titles like Batman and Justice League broke 200,000 and that was considered to be amazing. In the 1970s that would have been on the verge of cancellation...

I think another problem with why many people don't want to get into comics is because the market is so oversaturated nowadays. There are no less than eight different Batman related books being published right now: Batman, Detective, The Dark Knight, Batman and Robin, Nightwing, Batwing, Batgirl, and Batwoman. A newcomer would find that just too daunting and not even bother with it. Price is another big issue. The price tag on comics has risen far faster than inflation. Every book is $3 now with some even as much as $4 for what is essentially a 20-page book. That's pretty ridiculous. If you want to read every Batman book, that is $24 a month just for Batman alone. Its really not uncommon for a person to spend $100 or more every month for comic books. The average person certainly isn't going to want to jump into such an expensive hobby.
Old 03-21-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Its really not uncommon for a person to spend $100 or more every month for comic books. The average person certainly isn't going to want to jump into such an expensive hobby.
I stopped buying comics last year because I have 3 kids in diapers. On average, I was dropping about 50 bucks a week on the habit.
Old 03-21-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Price is another big issue. The price tag on comics has risen far faster than inflation. Every book is $3 now with some even as much as $4 for what is essentially a 20-page book. That's pretty ridiculous.
I discovered this first-hand today. I was at Newbury Comics with my wife and son and was browsing their comic section. I was really quite surprised to see single issues going for $4. I'd like to get my son started on something I enjoyed so much when I was younger, but not at those prices. I'm better off waiting for a collection of some sort.

When I stopped collecting back in 1995, comics were starting to creep up towards the $2 mark. I was dropping anywhere from $60-$80 a week. I don't regret getting out of it.
Old 03-21-12, 09:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I'm better off waiting for a collection of some sort.
Definitely.

Practically everything is collected in trade paperbacks nowadays. Almost everything is written as six-issue storyarcs for that reason now. You don't see many stories that are done in a single issue like in the olden days.

You can get trade paperbacks on Amazon for pretty cheap, sometimes up to half off cover price. It sucks not being able to support your local comic shop, but when single issues are $4 a pop there's not a whole lot you can do.

The downside to trade waiting is of course you have to wait six months to a year before the trade is released.
Old 03-21-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The Death of Superman was 1993, so I was 14 then.
'92, to nitpick.
Old 03-21-12, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
'92, to nitpick.
It began in 92 and ended in 93 to nitpick even further.

The triangle shield number is 1993 - 2 which means it came out the second week of January 1993. Then of course there was the Funeral for a Friend, World Without A Superman, and Reign of the Supermen that went on through the rest of 93.

Old 03-21-12, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too many crossovers is what I hated when I was into superhero comics. If I am into Fantastic Four, I don't want to have to buy a Hulk, Spiderman, X-Men or Avengers just to have the story. I know Marvel (DC probably also did it) was just trying to get people to start buying those other books but that just annoyed the crap out of me.
Old 03-21-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drq2
was kick out by the time I sold 80 copy's.

Ok,, I did not walk out I was ask to leave.
Why would they ask you to leave?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.