Official Storage Wars Discussion

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Official Storage Wars Discussion

Old 12-14-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts
re: Official Storage Wars Discussion

Originally Posted by onebyone
As much as I love Storage Wars, this Storage Wars Texas show is positively painful. The worst is Moe the Barry wannabe, but seriously, the entire cast of characters are just terrible. What were they thinking? I will be sticking with the original and dumping this one.
I watched one episode of Storage Wars Texas and they mentioned "Texas" about 8 times, one guy brought up The Alamo, and another guy made a "...let's get the flock out of here" joke twice in about 4 minutes.
Old 12-14-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, Storage Wars Texas is pretty much unwatchable. I'm not even giving it a second spin.
Old 12-15-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

I know he's gone through some shit lately, but Darrell has just become a vindictive prick.
Old 12-15-11, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another voting that Texas is unwatchable. The buyers are all uninteresting and lame.
Old 12-15-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have heard the rumors that the show was staged and I never fully bought into it. After watching a few moments of Texas (about all I could take) it was the first thing that popped to mind ... they were like kids who had caught a glimpse into mom and dad's closet just before Christmas. For some reason EVERYTHING was wrapped and you could tell they knew it was going to be something good. The reactions felt faked ... how bad of an actor are you when you can't even play yourself?
Old 12-15-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The Texas show feels like a bad cartoon, I refuse to believe that it's not a Reno 911 type show. They gotta be making fun of southerners, the stupidity that comes out of their mouths can't be real. I swear that's Eugene Levy playing the Bary Weiss guy.
Old 12-16-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I have heard the rumors that the show was staged and I never fully bought into it.
I'm convinced that they conveniently place that ONE unusual item in the lockers. Every episode is the same: the locker is filled with a bunch of hastily stacked worthless household items (trashbags full of clothes, clothes hangers, old toddler toys, etc.) then they find a cardboard portfolio stuffed carefully in a ratty dresser with original artist prints worth a fortune or ONE rare antique sculpture stuffed in a drawer full of costume jewelry and old papers.
Old 12-16-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Yeah, Storage Wars Texas is pretty much unwatchable. I'm not even giving it a second spin.
I've lived in Texas almost my entire life. These people are the worst stereotypes of Texans ever. I knew this by watching a preview a few months ago. SWT is not a show I'd ever want to watch.
Old 12-16-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't mind and understand if a little staging is used. It'd be boring if they always came up with just used CDs, DVDs and crap furniture. The worst thing about the Texas version is there's no Brandi type.
Old 12-16-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I like to dip my cigars in Brandi before I smoke it"
Old 12-16-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Storage Wars: Texas is like watching that TruTV version of it in Boston. Terrible.
Old 12-17-11, 09:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Barry: "Darrod and Jarrel"

Darrell: "Jarrod is dressed like he is going to prison, and Brandi is dressed like she is going to her eighth grade prom."
Old 12-17-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did LOL when Darrell's son then commented that he and his dad were he tank top twins since they were both wearing the same clothes.
Old 12-18-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I am not sure if this is true or not, but Barry Weiss net worth is $7 million.
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...iss-net-worth/

The Texas version of the show is really bad. Dull and boring.

Anyone watch Spike TV's Auction Hunters?
Old 12-18-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Match
Not sure how accurate that it, but thanks for the link. Interesting read. Some awesome finds by Darrell (Picassos, Abe Lincoln letter, etc.).
Old 12-18-11, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Not sure how accurate that it, but thanks for the link. Interesting read. Some awesome finds by Darrell (Picassos, Abe Lincoln letter, etc.).
I'd say its probably accurate. Its been said Barry has had a very successful/lucrative career in life before he became part of the show working in the produce industry with his brother doing a family owned business.
Old 12-18-11, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm convinced that they conveniently place that ONE unusual item in the lockers. Every episode is the same: the locker is filled with a bunch of hastily stacked worthless household items (trashbags full of clothes, clothes hangers, old toddler toys, etc.) then they find a cardboard portfolio stuffed carefully in a ratty dresser with original artist prints worth a fortune or ONE rare antique sculpture stuffed in a drawer full of costume jewelry and old papers.
It's not the odd items that make me think that ... I am fully willing to accept there are hundreds of "lame lockers" that don't make the air. It is the faked reactions.

However there was the recent one with the "quads" ... Jarrod and Brandi "couldn't get them started" until they took them to be appraised and it occurred to them that new batteries were the solution ... WTF?!

Dear Producers -- Please do not "John and Kate" this show ("John and Kate" was adecent show when it was about two struggling parents -- when the producers began lining up free vacations and product placements the show jumped the shark). "Storage Wars" is a good show and it works without your meddling to "up the ante." Quit pre-producing the show and just let it unfold. Tell your story in the editing room. Thank you.
Old 12-18-11, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Match

The Texas version of the show is really bad. Dull and boring.

Anyone watch Spike TV's Auction Hunters?
I pretty much find it unwatchable. I can't stand the 2 characters. Unlike the other shows, it just feels 100% scripted, and even the disclaimer at the start of every episode warns you of that. It's pretty boring when every single locker they buy is a winner. They also seem to find the items people will bring in to Pawn Stars, not the typical storage lockers found in Storage Wars.

Anybody watch Hardcore Pawn? It's like slowing down to look at a car accident. It's 100% trash TV, but it's so damn entertaining.

The major thing I hate about Storage Wars is when the guys just pick up an item, "Oh that's $100 right there, that stuff over there's another $5-600..." Just the other night I watched an episode with Darryl finding an original XBOX system and his doofus son says it's worth $100. More like $10 bucks on eBay.

My major fear is that these shows are creating the illusion that this is a get rich quick business, and every locker is full of hidden gems. I'd bet 70% of the lockers they buy are money losers, and it's a very slow grind that requires a lot of trial and error to actually make money buying lockers. I've watched a couple videos on Youtube of real life auction buyers who claim the shows have ruined their way of making a living, because what once was a 50 person turnout at an auction turned into 200+, with everybody overpaying on lockers full of garbage, thinking they can strike it rich.

Still, it's always fun to look in my basement which is full of boxes and random crap and wonder, how much would someone actually pay for this just based on what they can see?
Old 12-18-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

On an episode of the Storage Hunter show that I just watched tonight there was something that happened that I don't agree with. The guy sold a locker full of stuffed exotic animals and then afterwards said that he had to call the game ranger because of a law stating the sale of these types of animals alive or stuffed had to be looked at by someone. I thought it was shitty that he sold the lot for over 5,000 and then sprang that on the buyers afterwards. They even lost one of the stuffed animals which is now extinct. The ranger even threatened to take the guy to jail for arguing with him about it when he was simply trying to protect what he had just invested in. Kind of shitty on the auctioneers part in my opinion.
Old 12-19-11, 08:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if anyone has ever been watching the show and saw their actual locker being auctioned? "Oh no, there's my stuff!"

But I also wonder why anyone would abandon valuable items from their storage locker? It must take several months of not paying the rental fees and then the companies must have to contact the renters in advance to give them an opportunity to get current on fees before locking them out.
So in that time, before being locked out, why don't the renters go remove the valuable coin collection and signed lithographs, and simply leave the filthy mattresses and boxes of old clothes?
Old 12-19-11, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
My major fear is that these shows are creating the illusion that this is a get rich quick business, and every locker is full of hidden gems. I'd bet 70% of the lockers they buy are money losers, and it's a very slow grind that requires a lot of trial and error to actually make money buying lockers. I've watched a couple videos on Youtube of real life auction buyers who claim the shows have ruined their way of making a living, because what once was a 50 person turnout at an auction turned into 200+, with everybody overpaying on lockers full of garbage, thinking they can strike it rich.

Still, it's always fun to look in my basement which is full of boxes and random crap and wonder, how much would someone actually pay for this just based on what they can see?
Now put that program on TV and I think they have a hit show. People scrabbling thru junk lockers that they just over paid for only to find used underwear and wore out shoes. Knowing that they've just spent the family's food money for the week on trash is a real show and would attract a lot of viewers. Not this faked made up show they're running now.
Old 12-19-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Dear Producers... "Storage Wars" is a good show and it works without your meddling to "up the ante." Quit pre-producing the show and just let it unfold. Tell your story in the editing room. Thank you.
If they didn't pre-produce the show, it's unlikely that Brandi would be on it, at least as much. For the first few episodes it was just Jarrod at the auctions, with Brandi staying at the shop. Then they had Brandi go to her first auction with Jarrod, and she's been going to the auctions since.

They've also tweaked the formula in that the buyers all go through the junk as they pull it out of the lockers. Earlier on, you'd often see Jarrod and Dave pack it all up and go through it as they unloaded from their trucks at their stores. Obviously it's better TV to see the item as it's "discovered" in the locker.

The ATVs didn't bother me too much. I believe they had Brandi state that it probably was just a drained battery before they took them to be appraised, and they likely would've still taken them to the appraiser even if they knew in advance that they ran.

Originally Posted by pbrstreetgang
But I also wonder why anyone would abandon valuable items from their storage locker? ... before being locked out, why don't the renters go remove the valuable coin collection and signed lithographs, and simply leave the filthy mattresses and boxes of old clothes?
I think a lot of these situations are cases where the storage unit holder dies, and the remaining family is either unaware of the items of value in the unit, or maybe even unaware of the unit altogether. In some cases, it's possible that the renters or their inheritors did go through and clean out a lot of stuff, but missed something.
Old 12-19-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The problem with the show is that it has exploded the growth of morons who think they can go do it too.

It's TOUGH! You have to keep money out all the time while looking through stuff hours on end trying to find things worth selling. Yeah you might run across something big, but that takes time and buying a great many lockers. Generally your dealing with things selling for 5 bucks, 10 bucks, 50 bucks...that's about it!

It takes REAL intellect to make it work.

Sure a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then but to keep it rolling regularly you need to have a broad knowledge of things and know when to spend and when not to.

That's the problem that has occurred because of the show.

More people coming to auctions = higher priced lockers = harder to make money.

Before the show aired you could get lockers for next to nothing sometimes. lockers that go for 2 Grand now once sold for 3-5 hundred bucks. Some lockers have always sold big, of course depending on how much you could see, but the other day at an auction a locker that was basically completely empty with one box in the middle sold for about 250 bucks! This is insane, and I'm sure the buyer and bidders were compulsive gamblers who paid for a 250 dollar lottery ticket that more than likely held nothing.

I feel that, just like any balloon, this will bust and when it does occur people will be left scratching their heads, wondering how they lost so much money.
Old 12-19-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pbrstreetgang
I wonder if anyone has ever been watching the show and saw their actual locker being auctioned? "Oh no, there's my stuff!"

But I also wonder why anyone would abandon valuable items from their storage locker? It must take several months of not paying the rental fees and then the companies must have to contact the renters in advance to give them an opportunity to get current on fees before locking them out.
So in that time, before being locked out, why don't the renters go remove the valuable coin collection and signed lithographs, and simply leave the filthy mattresses and boxes of old clothes?
I talked to the manager of my storage facility. He said it takes months of repeated calls and letters, including certified letters, before a locker goes to auction. By law they have to make repeated and documented efforts to reach people.

I suspect many of the lockers for sale are simply people who died or their life changed so drastically they left town and left everything behind. I don't think it's a coincidence the show is shot in southern California and not, say, Iowa.
Old 12-19-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Traxan
I talked to the manager of my storage facility. He said it takes months of repeated calls and letters, including certified letters, before a locker goes to auction. By law they have to make repeated and documented efforts to reach people.

I suspect many of the lockers for sale are simply people who died or their life changed so drastically they left town and left everything behind. I don't think it's a coincidence the show is shot in southern California and not, say, Iowa.
Totally agree with you, but I would bet that any large community is going to have its fair share of storage auctions if for no other reason than deaths.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.