TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Official Storage Wars Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 10:16 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Official Storage Wars Discussion

This show purports to be real. Other shows don't have the same issue with treasures supposedly being found that may have been placed for the show. Insiders say its staged to help the Dotson auction company get more interest in auction sales and get tv revenue.
Old 01-09-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by g
At some point, the show will probably get some backlash for being staged and it will hurt ratings. When you search Storage Wars online, that seem to be the consensus. In fact, this is one of the few boards where it hasn't been brought up.
It's been brought up before in this thread.
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I have heard the rumors that the show was staged and I never fully bought into it...
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm convinced that they conveniently place that ONE unusual item in the lockers...
Whether or not the lockers are rigged, the show clearly has some staging to it. The talking head segments are always filmed after the fact, but they're told to talk about the auctions in present tense so they can cut between the stuff. There's several other little things that many reality shows do to bend reality a bit. I'm not convinced we see all the auctions for a given day, since we almost never see an auction go to anyone but the 4 leads. I'm also not convinced we see all the auctions that the leads win.

However, for me, the show is "real enough" to continue watching.
Old 01-09-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kantonburg
"reality" TV staged? Say it isn't so!
I'm shocked - shocked! - to find out there is staging on this show.
Old 01-10-12, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's been brought up before in this thread.

Whether or not the lockers are rigged, the show clearly has some staging to it. The talking head segments are always filmed after the fact, but they're told to talk about the auctions in present tense so they can cut between the stuff. There's several other little things that many reality shows do to bend reality a bit. I'm not convinced we see all the auctions for a given day, since we almost never see an auction go to anyone but the 4 leads. I'm also not convinced we see all the auctions that the leads win.

However, for me, the show is "real enough" to continue watching.
There's always going to be some degree of staging in any reality show, whether it is Storage Wars, The Amazing Race, The Biggest Loser, Survivor or [insert your favorite show here]. Without staging, the pacing of the shows would be intolerable.

But even knowing that, many reality shows can be very entertaining, and still have quite a bit of "reality" in them.

Oh, and I fully agree that we don't see all of the auctions from any given episode. Well, either that or the other bidders are paid to not win.
Old 01-10-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

To be fair, the show is A&E's biggest reality hit ever, and a lot of that success is attributable to the characters on the show (see: Storage Wars: Texas). Also, I'm sure they initially signed up for salaries that are now dwarfed by the revenue A&E draws in from it.

Now, Dave might not be the best character on the show to try and push for more pay, but the principle is still the same.
I see your point. It's no different than a star athlete trying to renegotiate their contract after a great season or two, early in their career. I have issues with that, as well.

This is one of those shows that could go on forever (sort of like Pawn Stars). So just ride out the original contract and renegotiate for a big piece of the pie in a few years.
Old 01-10-12, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
This is one of those shows that could go on forever (sort of like Pawn Stars). So just ride out the original contract and renegotiate for a big piece of the pie in a few years.
From what I gleamed from the articles, it seems to indicate that Dave Hester did exactly what you suggested: he rode out the original contract and is now negotiating for more. TV shows typically don't negotiate for more than a season at a time, especially just when a show is starting and may not even last a season.
Old 01-10-12, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk God

From what I gleamed from the articles, it seems to indicate that Dave Hester did exactly what you suggested: he rode out the original contract and is now negotiating for more. TV shows typically don't negotiate for more than a season at a time, especially just when a show is starting and may not even last a season.
I find that suspect since most broadcast scripted shows usually contract talent out for multiple years, with obvious opt-outs if the show is canceled. But, I'm not in the industry, so I don't know if that's the case here or not.
Old 01-10-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's a reality TV star, not the star of 2 and a Half Men. The exposure he gets for his stupid business probably far outweighs any financial compensation he thinks he should get. What an idiot.
Right. He should just ride the train as long as he can.
Old 01-10-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I find that suspect since most broadcast scripted shows usually contract talent out for multiple years, with obvious opt-outs if the show is canceled. But, I'm not in the industry, so I don't know if that's the case here or not.
According to this article, he's not currently under contract:
http://entertainment.gather.com/view...81474981005338
Dave told TMZ reporters when they caught up with him in Los Angeles, that the A&E executives haven't got him in a contract for next season.
The show already filmed two seasons, so that's multiple years. The Jersey Shore leads negotiated new contracts for seasons 3, 4, and (maybe) 5 of their show:
http://www.popeater.com/2011/03/30/j...s-season-four/
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/jersey-shor...164500811.html
Old 01-10-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

TV shows typically don't negotiate for more than a season at a time, especially just when a show is starting and may not even last a season.
I was under the impression that the standard is a seven season contract per show, regardless of genre.

Last edited by starseed1981; 01-10-12 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-10-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm... a couple of thoughts now that I've had time to process it.

First, I guess we have no clue what they're paying these folks. If they're getting a $1,000 an episode, I could see where they would want more considering the money that A&E is making off of the show. The fact they went out tried to strike gold a second time with the Texas version, shows that the original is a money maker.

Second, I just realized that Hester was the only original show member who wasn't in the joint promos with the Texas crew. I remember thinking that was weird.

Third, it wouldn't surprise me if they brought in Rico Suave and the lady buyer in to show Hester he's replaceable.
Old 01-10-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Dave married? When they started showcasing that new lady buyer it was almost like they were setting the stage for them to be romantic and start teaming up and getting together.
Old 01-10-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

IWhether or not the lockers are rigged, the show clearly has some staging to it. The talking head segments are always filmed after the fact, but they're told to talk about the auctions in present tense so they can cut between the stuff. There's several other little things that many reality shows do to bend reality a bit. I'm not convinced we see all the auctions for a given day, since we almost never see an auction go to anyone but the 4 leads. I'm also not convinced we see all the auctions that the leads win.
This article addressed that question.

Reality TV sure knows how to satisfy. Networks like A&E come up with compelling shows that are simple and hard not to watch, then they program an entire night worth of shows, one after another, to give the viewers exactly what they want. And last night, the producers threw in a bonus to the Storage Wars faithful. They brought the colleagues who spend their time buying the contents of storage lockers at auction together around a poker table to chat about the business and their real lives outside the show.

It turns out that it’s just like on the show…they’re actually attending 25 auctions a week, and the only ones that get on the air are the ones with the fantastic treasures. Most of these storage locker auctions are unwatchable, mundane, and the contents inside are far from valuable. How about another box of old clothes and a box of hangers?

Two of the members of the Storage Wars tribe are a couple–Brandi and Jarrod are the young turks. And in real life, they’ve been together for 12 years but they’re not married. They also have two kids. Dave Hester, the shows arch villain, is really an asshole, said auctioneer Dan, who still loves the tycoon anyway. And Barry, well he’s single and he’d love to get a date to take to the next auction, but apparently that hasn’t worked out despite his newfound reality show fame.

The pair of auctioneers are very in love. Dan the portly quick-talker is rivaled by wife Laura’s ability to roll out the figures, and they’re seen kissing and joshing throughout the show. They met at an auction and enjoy every day of their lives together. One of the things revealed in the show was that many of the auctions are won by strangers and thus, don’t make the cut. Though people actively bid during the real auctions, they only focus on ones won by our heroes; and it was clear that the treasure troves are far outweighed by the mundane hauls of little value. “We go to the dump a lot,” said Brandi.
Old 01-10-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I was under the impression that the standard is a seven season contract per show, regardless of genre.
I don't think there actually is a "standard," but if there is, a seven season contract is not it.

For example, Hugh Laurie said in 2005 that he had a 4 year contract for House. He renegotiated his contract at least twice, in 2006 and 2008, each adding year to his contract, and he's now at the end of his contract, which lasted a total of eight years.
http://bitsofhugh.livejournal.com/55537.html
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-hu...,7642764.story
http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/...35329620080912
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/blogs/...-95408394.html

I already mentioned Jersey Shore, where the contract seems to have been per season past season 2.

For the show Monk, the lead character's assistant got replaced midway through the 3rd season due to a contract dispute.

I'm sure the studios negotiate for the number of seasons they think is viable at the time of negotiation. If they lock in an actor/reality performer for more seasons upfront, that person is going to want a higher wage upfront. For shows that may not last more than a season or two, I could see studios only locking in the performers for a shorter time period.

Originally Posted by madcougar
The fact they went out tried to strike gold a second time with the Texas version, shows that the original is a money maker.
There's also a second spinoff in the works, set in New York. The success of these will probably partly determine whether the network/studio thinks the success of the original is dependent on the leads in it.

Originally Posted by Brent L
Is Dave married? When they started showcasing that new lady buyer it was almost like they were setting the stage for them to be romantic and start teaming up and getting together.
Dave totally has a crush on her.
Old 01-10-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it was pretty obvious that we don't see all the actual auctions.
Old 01-10-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by onebyone
This article addressed that question.
Thanks for the link. I missed the Storage Wars: Unlocked specials.
Old 01-10-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think it was pretty obvious that we don't see all the actual auctions.
You would think so, and yet people like g think that the show must be rigging the lockers because every locker we see on the show has something interesting in it.

The show also strongly implies in its episodes that we've seen all the lockers sold at a given auction. I just never bought it.
Old 01-10-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never felt that was the implication. To be honest, I think you'd have to be incredibly oblivious to believe that throughout all the episodes that it just happens these 4 guys are the only ones to win storage locker auctions, and that the ones they show on TV are the only ones.
Old 01-11-12, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I know why new characters have been showing up like Niela.

They're preparing to just forget Hester with all this contract negotiations and just her or someone else to replace him.
Old 01-11-12, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could he pretty much kill the show by still showing up at the auctions and not allowing footage of himself to be on TV?
Old 01-11-12, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would imagine not. Usually when you do a shoot like that, you just have to post that you're shooting and if you don't want to be on camera, leave.
Old 01-11-12, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wouldn't they just blur his face?

I think Dave brings a necessary element to the show. Who will be the douche bidding everyone up?
Old 01-11-12, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordwow
I would imagine not. Usually when you do a shoot like that, you just have to post that you're shooting and if you don't want to be on camera, leave.
Yeah, I just wondered since these types of auctions do have some legal requirements if limiting attendees might be difficult. They must be able to though, or there would probably be hundreds of people showing up to try to make it on TV.
Old 01-11-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Hey, do you remember all those Hot Wheels Jarrod and Brandi won and were going to sell for $2 each in their store? Apparently they made a little more than 2 bucks on 'em.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-WHEELS-S...item3f120bc51e
Old 01-11-12, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114
Wouldn't they just blur his face?

I think Dave brings a necessary element to the show. Who will be the douche bidding everyone up?
Nabila

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.