TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bar Rescue (Paramount Network) -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Bar Rescue

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
Guess you didn't see the Pirate bar one.

-jason
Your right. I think that one aired at the end of the day, and I missed it.
Old 09-06-12, 04:08 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Just FYI, I started a thread about this last year and no one gave a damn.
that's because I'm way cooler than you.
Old 09-06-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Yeah, no doubt that's it.
Old 09-07-12, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caught one episode of this (Black Sheep?) and it is just seems too contrived and unbelievable. I get that some editing is necessary to fit the time allocation and try and tell a story. But it was totally ridiculous.

Spoiler:
They only had a couple days left to launch the bar after their failed "stress" test, and they're sending three of the top employees off to Ireland to learn how to pull Guinness? Can they even get passports for the next day?

Then magically they have come back in practically no time, the bar has been remodeled with a new POS system in place, and they are going to launch the new bar in a couple of hours. WTF?

Also, making the guy that you were intent on firing because he is a dim-witted lazy SOB as the kitchen manager makes no sense.

Are the other episodes this bad?
Old 09-07-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Same formula, although I don't remember them shipping out half the staff before.
Old 09-07-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never been one to watch Spike TV never liked their content. The other day I was channel surfing and I see Star Wars A New Hope was playing. Started watching and the commercial break comes and last what seems like 15 mins. Second break and it seemed longer I was like fuck that. Never gonna watch anything on that station.
Old 09-08-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah, the commercials are really long. Thank god for DVR's.
Old 09-08-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My preference is for DVD-Rs.
Old 09-17-12, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Anybody watch tonight's episode?

The bar managed to make it 2 1/2 months after the makeover, but couldn't make it to the airing of the show. Here's a story that gives a little more insight on how the show works behind the scenes, and how the bar failed:

'Bar Rescue' leaves bad taste for former owner
Old 09-17-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, thats a shame. I really liked what they did with that bar.
Old 09-18-12, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What percentage of these places actually make it a full year after the episode airs? Kitchen Nightmares is the same thing. These are dying businesses owned and operated by people who have absolutely no clue. Neither John Taffer nor Gordon Ramsay could hope to save most of these places. Once they leave, the newly remodeled places are still being run by the inept fuckups that were running them into the ground before they showed up.

I've watched a few episodes of Bar Rescue but got bored extremely quickly. Every episode is the same. Place is a dump, employees are stealing, owner is a moron, Taffer comes in and yells, Taffer brings in his "experts" to fix up the dump and train employees, he adds a POS system and some turbo taps, changes the name, gets a bunch of people to come to a grand reopening, everybody is happy and the show ends with a note about how the bar is doing 20% more in sales.
Old 09-18-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wikipedia seems to have a good list of which bars have closed.

Bar Rescue Wiki

Out of the 18 episodes that have aired, 4 bars have closed.

As for lasting a year after the show aired, maybe you could look at the first season of the show. 8 of the 10 bars are still around at this point, so an 80% survival rate. That's not too bad considering the awful shape most of these businesses were in before the rescue.
Old 09-18-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the link, King.
Old 09-18-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dig the show though I amazed no one has punched Taffer yet.
Old 09-19-12, 11:46 AM

Them being behind on their rent and the landlord tossing them out can't be laid at Taffer's door. Maybe they should call for help before they get that far in debt.
Old 09-19-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No doubt. I think the owner of Win, Place, and Show said they had about 90 days until shutdown before Taffer showed up. BTW, where is Taffer's wife? That lady is fine.
Old 09-24-12, 03:46 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I like the premise of the show but John goes in a bit too hard, trying too hard to be Ramsay

There are some idiots running these bars who need a good kickin, but others just don't have the knowledge to make things work and don't deserve to be so aggressively berated
Old 09-24-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I like the premise of the show but John goes in a bit too hard, trying too hard to be Ramsay

There are some idiots running these bars who need a good kickin, but others just don't have the knowledge to make things work and don't deserve to be so aggressively berated
See, he wasn't like that in the first season, so I think Spike told him to raise the volume and turn on the expletives.
Old 09-24-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
What percentage of these places actually make it a full year after the episode airs? Kitchen Nightmares is the same thing. These are dying businesses owned and operated by people who have absolutely no clue. Neither John Taffer nor Gordon Ramsay could hope to save most of these places. Once they leave, the newly remodeled places are still being run by the inept fuckups that were running them into the ground before they showed up.

I've watched a few episodes of Bar Rescue but got bored extremely quickly. Every episode is the same. Place is a dump, employees are stealing, owner is a moron, Taffer comes in and yells, Taffer brings in his "experts" to fix up the dump and train employees, he adds a POS system and some turbo taps, changes the name, gets a bunch of people to come to a grand reopening, everybody is happy and the show ends with a note about how the bar is doing 20% more in sales.
Regarding Kitchen Nightmares, there is a place close to me that is still open, but it has been there for 30 years and the food has been mediocre for at least 5 years. The restaurant I'm referring to is Spanish Pavilion. There are no shortage of great Spanish/Portuguese restaurants in this area as Ramsay was quick to point out, and they aren't anywhere near those places in terms of quality. I don't know why people go there. Ramsay changed the menu, but I think they changed it back when he left.
Old 09-25-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I watched the Rocks episode since I live right near there. I see it all the time off The 5, but I've never thought to go there. After seeing who DOES go there, I'm really glad I never stopped in. So. Many. OC. Bros. It looked like my nightmares.
Old 10-01-12, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion
Swanky Bubbles (Sheer) is also closed down now.
I'm glad I never went there.
Old 10-01-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I watched the Rocks episode since I live right near there. I see it all the time off The 5, but I've never thought to go there. After seeing who DOES go there, I'm really glad I never stopped in. So. Many. OC. Bros. It looked like my nightmares.
Waiting for your report on the OP and Second Base.
Old 10-01-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ha! Another bar in the city of Orange. The bikini bar in last night's episode is literally a block from my junior high school. I'm fairly sure it was vegetarian restaurant back in the 90s for a while.

There's another bikini bar right across the street (you can almost make out the sign when the tattooed girl is being interviewed outside, the red sign is the Pump Room). I can't say I've ever been to either bar, but my sister actually went to the opening of Second Base, and I actually think I saw her in the background in one of the shots. She now goes to the Olive Pit as well.
Old 10-09-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm hooked on this show. I really like all of the little pointers that they give out during the show:

* give customers water - they stay buzzed for longer and buy more drinks
* put high profit food items into boxes on a menu

You have to DVR this show - you can get through an episode in 30 minutes.

I like Taffer - and I hope they don't make it too much like Ramsey (that is what I like about the show) less yelling, more getting the owner on board "you have no more options, you have do do what I say"
Old 10-09-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
Anybody watch tonight's episode?

The bar managed to make it 2 1/2 months after the makeover, but couldn't make it to the airing of the show. Here's a story that gives a little more insight on how the show works behind the scenes, and how the bar failed:

'Bar Rescue' leaves bad taste for former owner
“Although the show gives you a makeover, they do not give you any funds to replace your net sales you lose while they are there,”

WTF are they serious?? if these places were so profitable they would not be in debt in the first place. Those makeovers cost serious money, especially getting everything done in 2-3 days. Good Luck getting a contractor to do that in that amount of time.

Those makeovers cost way more than the 3 days of lost business. What do they want them to do? Come in hand them a few thousand dollars and say your "rescued"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.