Starz/Bryan Fuller Developing Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' for Series

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: HBO Developing Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' for Series

Starz, Bryan Fuller Board Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods'
12:52 PM PDT 7/1/2014 by Lesley Goldberg

The premium cable network and writer-producers Bryan Fuller (Hannibal) and Michael Green (The River, Heroes) have boarded FremantleMedia North America's adaptation of Gaiman's urban fantasy novel American Gods. Starz has handed out a script-to-series commitment to the project, with Fuller and Green attached to serve as showrunners and exec produce alongside Gaiman. FMNA will produce the series, which is based on the 2001 award-winning novel that has been translated into more than 30 languages. The project previously was in development at HBO, which passed on it.

The drama centers on a war brewing between old and new gods: the traditional gods of biblical and mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs. Its protagonist, Shadow Moon, is an ex-con who becomes bodyguard and traveling partner to Mr. Wednesday, a conman but in reality one of the older gods, on a cross-country mission to gather his forces in preparation for a battle with the new deities.

FMNA's Thom Beers, Craig Cegielski and Stefanie Berk will executive produce the series along with Fuller, Green and Gaiman. Starz vp original programming Ken Segna will oversee for the cabler, which will retain all network pay TV and SVOD rights to the project. FremantleMedia will distribute the series worldwide.

American Gods marks the latest scripted venture for FMNA, which landed the project in February. The company is also in production on The Returned.

For Starz, American God would join a roster of original scripted dramas that currently includes Black Sails, Da Vinci's Demons and Power as well as the upcoming series Outlander, Flesh and Bone and The Missing. The cabler also has comedies Blunt Talk and Survivor's Remorse in the works.

"When you create something like American Gods, which attracts fans and obsessives and people who tattoo quotes from it on themselves or each other, and who all, tattooed or not, just care about it deeply, it's really important to pick your team carefully. You don't want to let the fans down, or the people who care and have been casting it online since the dawn of recorded history," Gaiman said. "What I love most about the team whom I trust to take it out to the world, is that they are the same kind of fanatics that American Gods has attracted since the start. I haven't actually checked Bryan Fuller or Michael Green for quote tattoos, but I would not be surprised if they have them. The people at Fremantle are the kinds of people who have copies of American Gods in the bottom of their backpacks after going around the world, and who press them on their friends. And the team at Starz has been quite certain that they wanted to give Shadow, Wednesday and Laura a home since they first heard that the book was out there. I can't wait to see what they do to bring the story to the widest possible audience able to cope with it."

Should American Gods move forward, it would become Fuller's second series on the air based on a book, joining the third season of NBC's Hannibal adaptation.
Old 07-02-14, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Starz/Bryan Fuller Developing Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' for Series

I love the idea of American Gods more than the execution, if that makes any sense. I have complete faith in Fuller to turn this into an amazing series though. Go go go buddy.
Old 07-02-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Starz, Bryan Fuller Board Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods'....
So if this gets greenlit, that'll mean the Bryan Fuller will be running both this show and Hannibal. He wouldn't be the first showrunner with multiple shows at once, and at least both series are short seasons.

BTW, I had to look up the phrase "script-to-series commitment." Basically, it means that if the channel likes the pilot script they turn in, the show goes straight to series without shooting the pilot first.
Old 07-02-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This article has a quote from Bryan Fuller:
http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/a...unner-20140701
Commented Bryan Fuller, "Neil Gaiman has created the holiest of holy toy boxes with 'American Gods' and filled it with all manner of magical thing, born of new gods and old. Michael Green and I are thrilled to crack this toy box wide open and unleash the fantastical titans of heaven and earth and Neil's vividly prolific imagination."
Old 07-02-14, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
So if this gets greenlit, that'll mean the Bryan Fuller will be running both this show and Hannibal. He wouldn't be the first showrunner with multiple shows at once, and at least both series are short seasons.

BTW, I had to look up the phrase "script-to-series commitment." Basically, it means that if the channel likes the pilot script they turn in, the show goes straight to series without shooting the pilot first.
Hrmm... Isn't that rather odd?

There are some projects I can understand such a caveat becoming necessary - namely ones based on immensely popular (preexisting) source material that's already proven both successful and of considerable quality. Likewise, committing to a series order sight unseen? Crazy risk there - scripts based off an existing work are pretty much no-brainers. You not only largely know what you're gonna get, but based on that fact it'd be pretty damn hard to screw up so bad that a network, knowing the content/premise already, would pass on it.

The bestest scripts and writing in the world can't save a poorly cast/acted/directed/visualized filmed work - chemistry/etc. is where these things live or die.

All that aside, however, the most bizarre part for me about the script commitment is the fact HBO passed on this already. I get it if it's an incredibly sought after/highly competitive project. Why on earth would Starz sign off on this deal when it's already been passed - long ago, to boot, languishing in the interim. More to the point, the R-rated material means they're looking at HBO, Starz or Showtime (plus Netflix/Hulu/Amazons) - so one of the three main options are already out of the picture. Then add HBO passing = signs of potential trouble/difficulties, and agreeing to order the series based solely on the pilot's script makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, I loved reading American God's years ago and the genre is right up my alley. Add in Fuller on top of that, and I simply must see this get filmed somehow, someway, somewhere. But the business side of entertainment is always of some interest to me, and this one is a definite head-scratcher as far as I can see things right now.
Old 07-03-14, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coladar1
Hrmm... Isn't that rather odd?
It's not common, but it's not that odd. Hannibal went straight to series after NBC saw the first script:
http://www.hitfix.com/articles/nbc-s...ipping-a-pilot

CBS just ordered a James Patterson's Zoo straight to series:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ons-zoo-716098

NBC gave Parks and Recreation a 6-episode first season without shooting a pilot first:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parks_a..._1)#Conception

Originally Posted by Coladar1
All that aside, however, the most bizarre part for me about the script commitment is the fact HBO passed on this already. I get it if it's an incredibly sought after/highly competitive project. Why on earth would Starz sign off on this deal when it's already been passed - long ago, to boot, languishing in the interim.
TV shows and movies get shopped around and passed on all the time. What's more, we don't know why HBO passed, and it may have nothing to do with quality. Maybe HBO simply didn't have the budget. Maybe they didn't want to put on another fantasy-based series at the moment. Or maybe the producers got tired of HBO dragging their ass and asked if they could shop it around.

Remember, Lord of the Rings was originally a Miramax production before Miramax lost confidence in it, tried to reduce it to one film, and Peter Jackson asked to be able to shop it around.

HBO passed on The Walking Dead, wanting to tone down the gore:
http://screencrush.com/the-walking-dead-hbo-nbc/
Old 07-03-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, looking it up, "straight to series" seems to be the more common phrase, meaning skipping a pilot. It appears that most of these deals are announced after seeing the first script. This deal is somewhat unique in that the deal was announced before the first script was reviewed, which the deal is contingent on.

Here's a few articles on networks doing straight-to-series orders more often:
http://www.backstage.com/news/trigge...series-orders/
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-why-tv-650025
http://www.vulture.com/2013/11/tv-pi...d-species.html

Those articles mention a large number of shows that went straight to series: Under the Dome, Mistresses, Hieroglyph, Extant, Battle Creek, House of Cards, Orange Is the New Black, Gotham, Bates Motel, Gracepoint, Terra Nova, and Tina Fey's untitled new series.

That last article notes that NBC made a massive 44-episode commitment to Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories back in 1985, although that may have made sense since as an anthology series, a pilot episode really wouldn't have given a good idea of the series as a whole anyway.

Not mentioned in those articles, the recent series Fargo went straight to series:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-series-680996

Of course, such deals don't always work out. FOX recently canceled the show Hieroglyph after it has shot only one episode out of its 13 episode order:
http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/fox_canc..._order-2014-06
Old 07-03-14, 10:16 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
BTW, looking it up, "straight to series" seems to be the more common phrase, meaning skipping a pilot. It appears that most of these deals are announced after seeing the first script. This deal is somewhat unique in that the deal was announced before the first script was reviewed, which the deal is contingent on.

Here's a few articles on networks doing straight-to-series orders more often:
http://www.backstage.com/news/trigge...series-orders/
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-why-tv-650025
http://www.vulture.com/2013/11/tv-pi...d-species.html

Those articles mention a large number of shows that went straight to series: Under the Dome, Mistresses, Hieroglyph, Extant, Battle Creek, House of Cards, Orange Is the New Black, Gotham, Bates Motel, Gracepoint, Terra Nova, and Tina Fey's untitled new series.

That last article notes that NBC made a massive 44-episode commitment to Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories back in 1985, although that may have made sense since as an anthology series, a pilot episode really wouldn't have given a good idea of the series as a whole anyway.

Not mentioned in those articles, the recent series Fargo went straight to series:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-series-680996

Of course, such deals don't always work out. FOX recently canceled the show Hieroglyph after it has shot only one episode out of its 13 episode order:
http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/fox_canc..._order-2014-06
That seems to have turned out well... http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...roglyph-715938
Old 07-03-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by malichai
I love the idea of American Gods more than the execution, if that makes any sense. I have complete faith in Fuller to turn this into an amazing series though. Go go go buddy.
I agree 100%. I was in love with the concept, but wasn't completely satisfied with what Gaiman actually did with it.

Either way, it certainly made my visit to Rock City more meaningful.
Old 07-03-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I don't think HBO passing on it is a sign of anything. They have demographic niches they like to target and if they thought American Gods already duplicates a current show's audience niche they air, they might still pass on a quality show.
Old 06-16-15, 07:41 PM

Starz is moving forward with plans for a series adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s 2001 novel “American Gods,” to be shepherded by Bryan Fuller and Michael Green.

Fuller and Green are writing the adaptation and will serve as showrunners and exec producers. Gaiman will also exec produce for FremantleMedia North America.

Starz said series production would be begin once producers land their leading man for the role of Shadow Moon in the saga about a war between traditional gods from mythology and contemporary, materialistic deities. Shadow Moon is an ex-con and bodyguard for Mr. Wednesday, an older god in the guise of a conman.

“I am thrilled, ‎scared, delighted, nervous and a ball of glorious anticipation. The team that is going to bring the world of ‘American Gods’ to the screen has been assembled like the master criminals in a caper movie: I’m relieved and confident that my baby is in good hands. Now we finally move to the exciting business that fans have been doing for the last dozen years: casting our Shadow, our Wednesday, our Laura,” Gaiman said.

Starz is looking to build buzz for the project by promoting the search for the right actor to limn the lead character with the social-media effort #CastingShadow, inviting fans to weigh on who should get the gig.

“We hope to create a series that honors the book and does right by the fans, who have been casting it in their minds for years,” Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said.

“American Gods” is a big priority for FremantleMedia North America as it looks to grow its scripted production operations. The novel was brought into FremantleMedia by exec Stefanie Berk.

“Neil’s novel is a brilliant work of art, and together with the talented Bryan Fuller and Michael Green, we are committed to delivering a series that is nothing short of extraordinary,” said FremantleMedia North America co-CEO Craig Cegielski said.

Starz is hanging on to pay TV and SVOD rights, but Fremantle will distribute the property in the rest of the world. The much-praised book, which has landed fantasy fiction’s Hugo and Nebula awards, has been translated into 30 languages.

“Almost 15 years ago, Neil Gaiman filled a toy box with gods and magic, and we are thrilled to finally crack it open and play. We’re grateful to have Starz above us and FremantleMedia at our backs as we appease the gods, American or otherwise,” Fuller and Green said in a statement.

Fuller discussed his work on the project at the recent ATX Television Festival in Austin, telling fans, “I was raised Catholic, (Michael Green) was raised Jewish, so we both have fascination with these great mythological stories, so we were talking over lunch one day about how we both want to work together again on something, then ‘American Gods’ came up … There’s so much of that book that is a story of Shadow and Wednesday, and our approach is almost anthological — but we wouldn’t tell the network ‘anthological’ — in that we get to see Bilquis, who we see eat a man with her vagina in one chapter of the book and is never seen or heard from again. She’s a main character. We get to tell stories that start 5,000 years ago in ancient Babylonia and then see how she came to the modern day.”

He added, “Neil Gaiman has given us a lot of room to really dig into the characters and he’s shared them with us. It’s an immigration story really, at its heart, so it feels like we can unpack that in a way that allows us to tell a signature story.”
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/neil...rz-1201520765/
Old 06-17-15, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will get excited about anything Fuller is attached to, so I'm all about this.
Old 06-17-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I know people hold this book in high regards, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll watch this and try again someday.
Old 06-17-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I know people hold this book in high regards, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll watch this and try again someday.
No book is for everyone.

Have you read any Neil Gaiman? Maybe start with something more accessible, like Stardust or Neverwhere, or even Anansi Boys.
Old 01-28-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

‘American Gods’ Casts Its Shadow: ‘The 100’ Actor to Play Lead Role in Starz TV Adaptation
JANUARY 28, 2016 | 09:00AM PT
Laura Prudom News Editor @lauinla

“American Gods,” Starz’s TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s beloved fantasy novel, has cast Ricky Whittle in the lead role of Shadow Moon, the premium cabler announced Thursday.

The series posits a war brewing between old and new gods: the traditional gods of mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs. The plot centers around Shadow Moon, an ex-con who becomes bodyguard and traveling partner to Mr. Wednesday, a conman but in reality one of the older gods, on a cross-country mission to gather his forces in preparation to battle the new deities.

Gaiman said in a statement, “I’m thrilled that Ricky has been cast as Shadow. His auditions were remarkable. The process of taking a world out of the pages of a book, and putting it onto the screen has begun. ‘American Gods’ is, at its heart, a book about immigrants, and it seems perfectly appropriate that Shadow will, like so much else, be Coming to America. I’m delighted Ricky will get to embody Shadow. Now the fun starts.”

Showrunners Bryan Fuller and Michael Green added, “We searched every continent and country and all the islands in between for our Shadow Moon, and we are lucky to have found Ricky. Fans of the novel will find he has every bit of the heart of the character they fell in love with.”

British-born Whittle is currently a series regular on The CW’s post-apocalyptic drama “The 100,” and has previously appeared in “Austenland,” “Hollyoaks,” “Mistresses,” “NCIS” and “Holby City.”

“American Gods” is produced by FremantleMedia North America for Starz. Fuller and Green serve as writers and showrunners, with Fuller’s frequent “Hannibal” helmer David Slade set to direct the pilot and additional episodes. FMNA’s Craig Cegielski and Stefanie Berk are executive producing the series along with Fuller, Green, Slade and Gaiman. SVP of Original Programming Ken Segna is the Starz executive in charge of “American Gods.” Starz retains all network pay TV and SVOD rights to the project, and FremantleMedia is distributing the series worldwide. The show will begin shooting in April in Toronto.

Ricky Whittle is represented by TalentWorks, Creative Artists Management in the UK, and Untitled Entertainment.
Old 04-14-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://deadline.com/2016/04/american...on-1201737830/

Jonathan Tucker and Crispin Glover cast

Previously castings announced:

http://deadline.com/2016/03/american...rz-1201713313/

Ian McShane

http://deadline.com/2016/03/american...rz-1201722126/

Emily Browning from Sucker Punch

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/amer...ow-1201690861/

and Ricky Whittle, who just left the CW series The 100.

This thread was really hard to find. It did not show up in the search function. I had to use Google to find it.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-14-16 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm liking the castings for this so far.
Old 04-14-16, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://deadline.com/2016/04/american...on-1201737830/

Jonathan Glover and Crispin Glover cast.
I think you mean Jonathan Tucker, not Glover.
Old 06-03-16, 02:31 PM

Gillian Anderson has joined Starz’s adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s “American Gods,” Variety has learned.

Anderson will play Media, the mouthpiece for the New Gods, functioning as their public face and sales representative, by taking the form of various iconic celebrities. She lives off the attention and worship that people give to screens — to their laptops, their TVs, to their iPhones in their hands while they watch their TVs. Ever the perky spokesperson, and always in control, she spins stories in whatever direction best suits her.

The casting marks a reunion between Anderson and “American Gods” executive producer Bryan Fuller — the two previously collaborated on NBC’s “Hannibal.”

In addition to “Hannibal,” Anderson recently returned to her iconic role as Dana Scully in Fox’s revival of “The X-Files,” which premiered in January, and will next be seen in the third and final season of crime thriller “The Fall,” which will air later this year.

“American Gods” is produced by FremantleMedia North America. Fuller and Michael Green are writers and showrunners. David Slade is directing the pilot and additional episodes. FMNA’s Craig Cegielski and Stefanie Berk are executive producing the series along with Fuller, Green, Slade and Gaiman. Senior Vice Presidents of Original Programming Marta Fernandez and Ken Segna are the Starz executives in charge of “American Gods.” Starz retains all network pay TV and SVOD rights to the project, and FremantleMedia is distributing the series worldwide.

The plot of “American Gods” posits a war brewing between old and new gods: the traditional gods of mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs. Its protagonist, Shadow Moon (Ricky Whittle), is an ex-con who becomes bodyguard and traveling partner to Mr. Wednesday (Ian McShane), a conman with personal ties to the battle between the deities.
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/gill...er-1201788348/
Old 06-03-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/gill...er-1201788348/
Ever the perky spokesperson...
It'll be interesting to see Gillian Anderson as "perky." I wonder if she'll be dressed like Lucille Ball in her first appearance.
Old 06-16-16, 10:33 AM

Old 06-16-16, 07:23 PM

I have 100% faith that this is going to be the best new show of 2017. Good source material, fantastic casting, and my favorite television producer/creator/whateveryoucallhim.
Old 06-16-16, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I read American Gods years ago but can't for the life of me remember much about it. I remember liking it but thinking it was overrated.
Old 07-22-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

1st full trailer. Premieres in 2017

Old 03-15-17, 01:58 PM

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3awG5wEE7LU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.