Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ABC Cancels All My Children AND One Life to Live

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: ABC Cancels All My Children AND One Life to Live

Jenny was Kim Delaney so she's had a pretty good career. I guess she's a regular on a Lifetime series now. I remember when she died on AMC. I also remember her one off "heaven" appearance in the 90s (when Tad "died") before she started NYPD Blue.

I used to watch both of these shows at different times in my life. I quit soaps in the 90s b/c it's just so easy to get hooked on them when you're unemployed. I know my Mom has watched All My Children for years and years so I'm sure it's a disappointment for her.
Old 04-17-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My grandma watches The Bold and The Beautiful & Days of Our Lives.

I only rememeber watching Days when Marlena was possessed by a demon and then when they had the "Slasher" storyline because I loved me some horror soaps. Passions was really neat. Timmy was the best ever
Old 04-17-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 740 Likes on 380 Posts

My grandmother died in 1979, but I remember spending days with her and her soaps were "Another World," "Love of Life," "Search for Tomorrow," and "Edge of Night," which was actually more of a daytime crime drama than a soap, although it was counted among the soaps. All four of those shows are long gone now.

I hate soaps, but I do have the original DVD releases of the granddaddy of them all, "Peyton Place," for some reason. (the movie AND the TV series).
Old 04-18-11, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

To Our Loyal ABC Soap Fans
.by Hoover on Monday, April 18, 2011 at 2:21pm.To all the loyal ABC soap fans,

I want you to know from me personally that we hear you loud and clear. My wife and mother are both passionate viewers of All My Children and One Life to Live, as are many of my colleagues here at Hoover. We were and are as disappointed with this news as you are.

In fact, we will discontinue our advertising with ABC this Friday, 4/22. We're making every attempt to pull our spots from these programs sooner.

Because we feel that’s not enough, we also want to help get your voice heard with ABC. So, we’ve set up a special email address, [email protected], to help pull together the mass emotional outpouring of support for our beloved ABC soaps and get it to our contacts at ABC. Please, send your emails to us at [email protected], and we’ll get every, single last one of them to ABC.

We’re 150% committed to doing what matters most to you – so if there’s anything else we can do to help or you have any ideas, please email this address, and we will respond to you personally.

Thank you for standing up for what matters to you! We need more of that in this world.

Brian Kirkendall

Vice President of Marketing
Old 04-18-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well pretty soon my Mom will be able to cancel her subscription to Soap Opera Digest.
I still watch 3 shows. Y&R, B&B, and GH. I quit DAYS in the 90s when the devil story came in to play.
Old 04-18-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Well pretty soon my Mom will be able to cancel her subscription to Soap Opera Digest.
Will that even be necessary? At this rate they might as well discontinue the magazine.
Old 05-05-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Katie Couric to replace 'General Hospital'? By Ann Oldenburg, USA TODAY.

The latest Katie Couric buzz: She'll soon cut a deal with ABC.

Deadline reports that CBS is out of the negotiations, having pulled its offer for a daytime syndicated show.

And TMZ says Couric is "on the verge of a $20 million deal" with ABC that would include an hour-long, Monday-Friday syndicated talk show to begin in September, 2012 in the General Hospital timeslot. She would also do specials for 20/20.

I don't know why i'm getting upset about it. After AMC and OLTL got the ax, I knew it was a matter of time before ABC gets rid of GH.
Old 05-05-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read that AMC is bringing Dixie (Cady McClain) back. It would be nice if they could get all the memorable characters back before they are forced to close shop.
Old 05-05-11, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts

I guess it was inevitable that GH would go too.
Old 05-10-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I understand that the day of the soap opera is over, but I read somewhere that canceling these two soaps would save the network something like 1 to 2 million dollars a day as the new shows would cost half that. Seems like a sensible business decision, but if they give Katie Couric some $20 million to replace GH then I am not really seeing the savings anymore.
Old 06-06-11, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like Katie may be taking over the 3pm time slot. Hmmm... does this mean the end of General Hospital??

Katie Couric
Old 06-06-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JJE-187
My grandma watches The Bold and The Beautiful & Days of Our Lives.

I only rememeber watching Days when Marlena was possessed by a demon and then when they had the "Slasher" storyline because I loved me some horror soaps. Passions was really neat. Timmy was the best ever
I loved those storylines on Days even though were really over the top. I also miss Passions. It was also over the top and had some really bad storylines but the supernatural storylines were fun to watch at times.
Old 06-07-11, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Looks like Katie may be taking over the 3pm time slot. Hmmm... does this mean the end of General Hospital??

Katie Couric
I hope not. I'm going to cuss a blue streak if it's canned. It wouldn't shock me though.
Old 06-07-11, 09:07 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
I understand that the day of the soap opera is over, but I read somewhere that canceling these two soaps would save the network something like 1 to 2 million dollars a day as the new shows would cost half that. Seems like a sensible business decision, but if they give Katie Couric some $20 million to replace GH then I am not really seeing the savings anymore.
$1 Million a day = Let's just say M-F is....250 days. That's $250 million.

$20 Million for Katie is a drop in the bucket.
Old 06-07-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Josh Duhamel is returning to his TV roots: The Transformers star will appear on All My Children before the soap goes off the air for good, TVGuide.com has confirmed.

Duhamel got his start on the ABC soap, playing Leo du Pres, a con artist who apparently died in 2003, though his body was never found. (Dun. Dun. Dunnnn.) The role landed him four Daytime Emmy nominations, including one win for Outstanding Supporting Actor in 2002.

The 38-year-old Las Vegas alum will return in at least one episode in August before the soap's swan song in September. Children will be replaced by The Chew, a one-hour live show centered on food.

Other notable stars who got their start on All My Children include Sarah Michelle Gellar, Melissa Leo and Christian Slater. Who else would you like to see return?
Old 06-07-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Josh Duhamel is returning to his TV roots: The Transformers star will appear on All My Children before the soap goes off the air for good, TVGuide.com has confirmed.

Duhamel got his start on the ABC soap, playing Leo du Pres, a con artist who apparently died in 2003, though his body was never found. (Dun. Dun. Dunnnn.) The role landed him four Daytime Emmy nominations, including one win for Outstanding Supporting Actor in 2002.

The 38-year-old Las Vegas alum will return in at least one episode in August before the soap's swan song in September. Children will be replaced by The Chew, a one-hour live show centered on food.

Other notable stars who got their start on All My Children include Sarah Michelle Gellar, Melissa Leo and Christian Slater. Who else would you like to see return?

Kelly Ripa said this morning that she and Mark are trying to work it out so they can appear. She said it may be difficult because it's now being filmed on the West coast and she has a job on the East coast.

Maybe one of the new shows that is taking over the slots vacated by OLTL or AMC will flop and they'll move GH and have Katie at 3??
Old 06-08-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Maybe one of the new shows that is taking over the slots vacated by OLTL or AMC will flop and they'll move GH and have Katie at 3??
I think that may be the plan. ABC could have cancelled GH outright, but it makes sense to hold onto it just in case one of the new shows tanks. GH has a year to get its act together... they just replaced the headwriter, and rumor has it a new EP is being brought in.
Old 06-08-11, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

^did General Hospital finally can Guza? I havent heard anything.
Old 06-08-11, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
^did General Hospital finally can Guza? I havent heard anything.
Guza was fired a few weeks ago, replaced by Garin Wolf.
Old 07-07-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

ABC Licenses 'All My Children' And 'One Life To Live' To Prospect Park; Shows Will Continue Production And Move Online

BURBANK, CA – July 7, 2011 – ABC has licensed its iconic soaps, “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” to Prospect Park, it was announced today by Brian Frons, President, Daytime, Disney/ABC Television Group & Janice Marinelli, President, Disney/ABC Domestic Television and Rich Frank & Jeff Kwatinetz of Prospect Park. The exclusive multi-year, multi-platform deal enables the soaps’ stories to continue beyond their finale dates on ABC. ABC will broadcast its final episode of “All My Children” on Friday, September 23rd and will air the final episode of “One Life to Live” in January, 2012.

The licensing agreement, brokered by Disney/ABC Domestic Television Group, enables Prospect Park to continue production of “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” beyond their life on ABC. Prospect Park will produce and deliver the two long-running programs to consumers via online formats and additional emerging platforms including internet enabled television sets. Under the terms of the arrangement, the programs will continue to be delivered with the same quality and in the same format and length. Additional details of the new productions and tune-in will be forthcoming from Prospect Park.
Old 07-07-11, 01:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Great. Mom can't even send an email. Good job. This will work out well.
Old 07-08-11, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Great. Mom can't even send an email. Good job. This will work out well.
Yeah, this doesn't seem to be a good combination of technology and audience. Nobody has found a way to make real money with TV shows online, and this company thinks they'll do it with exiled soap operas?
Old 07-08-11, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheKing
Yeah, this doesn't seem to be a good combination of technology and audience. Nobody has found a way to make real money with TV shows online, and this company thinks they'll do it with exiled soap operas?
I agree 100%! It won't help the elderly, shut ins or people who are in nursing homes like my Mom. They make up a large part of the audience for these shows. Everytime I bring her home, I try to explain what you can to on a computer or laptop. She still doesn't get it.
Old 07-08-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Geez.....bitch when they cancel the show, bitch when they save it.....isn't this better than nothing?
Old 07-08-11, 09:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by auto
Geez.....bitch when they cancel the show, bitch when they save it.....isn't this better than nothing?
Why does it matter if the intended audience can't view it?!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.