Face Off - special F/X reality competition on SyFy

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Re: Face Off - special F/X reality competition on SyFy

Originally Posted by dex14
For anyone who cares...

To me... Face Off has run its course... it's the same thing every week...no surprises... there's only so much they can do. I like the topic, but the competition is stale. I like the idea of spin offs showing what contestants are up to in the field. I enjoyed this first episode of Foxy & Co. and would watch.
On Face Off -- there is a serious lack of creativity occurring from season to season. I think there could be tons of new ground to cover if they brought on some truly creative people who weren't simply making aliens, demons, and super heros no matter what they are told to make. One recent example was the week they were supposed to make dragons and all we got were lizard people. There have only been a few truly "outside the box" designs over several seasons.

On Foxy & Co. ...

The Bad:

... The title sucks ass. I never would have watched it just by the listing. I happened to be flipping channels and saw the cowboy (who I liked on Face Off), so I stopped.

... The title character sucks ass. I don't think there has ever been a competitor on Face Off that I cared less about. I almost turned it off as soon as he came on screen and opened his mouth.

The Good:

... The rest of the cast. I enjoy the other three artists and would gladly tune in more to see their efforts.

The Ugly:

... The projects were terrible. WTF was up with the Susan G Komen thing? What does a purple alien have to do with breast cancer? I can't believe the people in charge actually liked that. The design was not bad, it made no sense with its purpose. The second project was pure shit ... but then so was the "movie" (I use that term very loosely) it was being made for. Even the director came off as a shitty extra who was trying to ham it up to earn screen time.

... The "flow" came off as another formulaic fake reality show and this will prevent me from watching it. The projects were obviously staged for the show. If they are opening up an effects shop, show me what it is really like busting balls, beating the pavement, and trying to get a foot in the door.
Old 03-26-14, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
On Face Off -- there is a serious lack of creativity occurring from season to season. I think there could be tons of new ground to cover if they brought on some truly creative people who weren't simply making aliens, demons, and super heros no matter what they are told to make. One recent example was the week they were supposed to make dragons and all we got were lizard people. There have only been a few truly "outside the box" designs over several seasons.
Very true. If I see one more tree creature that looks like logs and moss I'm going to puke. Yes, they all look very cool but they also all look exactly the same. Every time the contestants are coming up with their creations they all use the same ideas. Everyone's demon, monster, and creature looks just like everyone else's demons, monsters, and creatures. It's very rare that someone thinks outside the box.
Old 03-27-14, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

One of the few:

Old 06-26-14, 11:15 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Looks like a lot of us have lost interest in this... and it is definitely due to over saturation. A new season starts July 22nd at 9pm.
Old 06-26-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts

Already? I enjoy the show but it seems like the last season just ended.
Old 06-26-14, 11:19 AM

This will be the 3rd season in less than 1 year. Its ridiculous.
Old 06-26-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This will be the 3rd season in less than 1 year. Its ridiculous.
Yeah, plus you can tell that they raided most of the good talent already. I really enjoyed the Jim Henson version of this show.
Old 06-26-14, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the Henson show was good; I'd like to see another season of that.
Old 06-26-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I gave up on this show. It just got too boring seeing the same thing over and over every season.
One thing I always hated was McKenzie introduce the judges every single time as if we forgot who they were. It must have been on their contracts to advertise who they were at every judging.
Old 06-26-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VHS?
One thing I always hated was McKenzie introduce the judges every single time as if we forgot who they were. It must have been on their contracts to advertise who they were at every judging.
That seems to be common for these types of shows. Top Chef re-introduces the judges every week as well.
Old 07-22-14, 05:59 PM

New season begins tonight
Old 07-22-14, 06:17 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

what is this, season 34?
Old 07-23-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
That seems to be common for these types of shows. Top Chef re-introduces the judges every week as well.
Waiting for them to introduce an empty chair as the seat 3 time Oscar winner, Ve Neil would have sat if she were here ... and mentioning Hunger Games.

The previews showed some beautiful designs and talent but I've been fooled before by this show.
Old 07-29-14, 02:53 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Almost as bad: Introducing some obscure guest mentor and the contestants fawn over them like they're Steven Spielberg.

McKenzie: "Our guest mentor this week is an executive producer of the brand new SyFy original series Andromeda Six: The Calling, debuting August 27. He also appears frequently on the popular podcast Into the Forbidden. Please give a warm welcome to Todd Mathews!"

Contestant: "When I saw that Todd Mathews was going to be the guest mentor this week, I was totally stoked. Andromeda Six is going to rock, so I hope I don't let him down!"
Old 07-29-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

They were able to work in that " 2 is on Wednesday night" into tonight's show.

Ohwell, at least Dina is cute.
Old 09-03-14, 08:36 AM

Nice change of pace with last nights judges competition episode.
Old 09-08-14, 09:33 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah really impressed the judges put themselves on the line, that was very cool

I was then interested to see how much better their work would be compared to regular contestants

and wow they were amazing

The main difference was the level of design, so much better than the regular contestants
Old 09-08-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I totally dropped this show. I watched I think 3 episodes. Nothing new here to see. I moved along.
Old 09-09-14, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the Judge Match but was really surprised who won. Perhaps more close ups of the six costumes might have helped us understand why. Did the Rook end up opening or was it static?
Old 09-10-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, to me it seemed Neville's was by far the worst of the 3, not to say it was bad, but the other ones were just so much better.
Old 09-10-14, 12:51 PM

Ve should've won.
Old 01-13-15, 07:02 AM

Season 8 starts tonight.

Syfy's critically-acclaimed reality competition series Face Off - the network's most watched unscripted series - will return on Tuesday, January 13 at 9PM for an action-packed eighth season themed "Return of the Champions." In a twist on the show's traditional format, three former champions, Rayce Bird (Season 2), Anthony Kosar (Season 4) and Laura Tyler (Season 5), will return in the premiere and select teams of five new artists who they will coach throughout the season. Additionally, the Season 8 premiere will be super-sized over two episodes. At the end of premiere, host McKenzie Westmore delivers a challenge twist in lieu of an elimination, forcing the action of the premiere to carry over into the next week's episode. Makeup super-legend and seven-time Academy Award-winner Rick Baker (makeup artist for American Werewolf in London, The Men in Black trilogy, Michael Jackson's Thriller, Planet of the Apes) will appear in both episodes, first mentoring the artists and then appearing as a guest judge.
Old 01-13-15, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^Thanks for mentioning the premiere.

This is the only show I can think of that seems to always premiere two months after the previous season ends. Is it doing THAT well for Syfy?
Old 01-13-15, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
^Thanks for mentioning the premiere.

This is the only show I can think of that seems to always premiere two months after the previous season ends. Is it doing THAT well for Syfy?
Yea... they do 2 seasons a year. It's kind of overkill. I appreciate the fact that they atleast are trying new things.
Old 01-14-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Another season just premiered. I liked the team aspect and the returning champions sort of like coaches on the Voice, etc. I am not sure if I like having contestants who are clearly fodder i.e. fans of the show who decided to go to makeup school and try out for the show. Really, are they scrapping the bottom of the barrel looking for enough out of work make up artists that they are casting random viewers of the show?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.