DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic -- Downton Abbey

Where are you all watching this?
Old 10-15-13, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

The cast is the sole I decided to actually plow through the previous 3 seasons but I can't say I've ever truly warmed to this show. Is the 4th season so far a vast improvement (in terms of writing) or is it more of the same?
Old 10-16-13, 07:54 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
All caught up now. Just finished EP4, S4. This is one great season. EP3/S4 was the darkest this show has ever gone. Such a great series. I never want this to end.
Anyone know the number of episodes for the 4th series/season?? I suspect 8 but wanted to confirm.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-06-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan
Anyone know the number of episodes for the 4th series/season?? I suspect 8 but wanted to confirm.

Thanks,

Rick
8 + 1 Christmas episode.
Last night's 2 hour premiere scored 10.2 million viewers. It was the most watched PBS premiere ever (and tied CBS in total viewers). I don't think PBS cares about demos so they didn't release the demos rating.

I thought it was great to see this show back again after catching up on the seasons through Amazon Streaming. Looking forward to more scheming by Thomas and what happens to Edith. Dame Maggie Smith steals every scene she is in. Hopefully, she wins the Emmy again for her portrayal the Dowager Countess of Grantham.
Old 01-06-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Dame Maggie Smith steals every scene she is in. Hopefully, she wins the Emmy again for her portrayal the Dowager Countess of Grantham.
You can say that again. The writers love her too. You can tell because she always gets the very best lines. They never fail to make me laugh.

Last edited by Easy; 01-07-14 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-06-14, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Love this show!
Old 01-07-14, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by chowderhead
8 + 1 Christmas episode.
Last night's 2 hour premiere scored 10.2 million viewers. It was the most watched PBS premiere ever (and tied CBS in total viewers). I don't think PBS cares about demos so they didn't release the demos rating.

I thought it was great to see this show back again after catching up on the seasons through Amazon Streaming. Looking forward to more scheming by Thomas and what happens to Edith. Dame Maggie Smith steals every scene she is in. Hopefully, she wins the Emmy again for her portrayal the Dowager Countess of Grantham.
I admit I've seen the season already. I refuse to post spoilers but hold on to your hat. I do admit I felt a bit "empty" as I believe this season didn't handle some issues in the best and left things hanging. Not really in a "come back next season to see what happens" but more of a "I don't want or know how to continue this" so just drops things. Perhaps things will be continued......

Oh yeah, Anna and Edith are characters to watch.
Old 01-13-14, 09:54 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Surprise to see no comments from anyone on the

Spoiler:
rape of Anna

Horrifying to see something so horrible happen to such a sweet character.

Kudos to Julian Fellowes for making this show so fun to watch as he tortures the characters he created!
Old 01-14-14, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
Kudos to Julian Fellowes for making this show so fun to watch as he tortures the characters he created!
I feel the complete opposite of you...I think he's just using what were once well-written characters (see Season 1 and most of Season 2) for cheap stunts and soap-opera tactics. This latest event has me considering just dumping the show for good.
Old 01-14-14, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I feel the complete opposite of you...I think he's just using what were once well-written characters (see Season 1 and most of Season 2) for cheap stunts and soap-opera tactics. This latest event has me considering just dumping the show for good.
I think I'm somewhere in-between as I agree the writing has become lazy (my term) compared to earlier seasons but think things like this actually do happen to people. Overall, this season doesn't seem to be as satisfying, to me, as did the earlier ones. Perhaps Season 5 will be some sort of redemption for the series.
Old 01-14-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I think I'm somewhere in-between as I agree the writing has become lazy (my term) compared to earlier seasons but think things like this actually do happen to people. Overall, this season doesn't seem to be as satisfying, to me, as did the earlier ones. Perhaps Season 5 will be some sort of redemption for the series.
I thought similarly about the writing. Although bad things happen to good people, this one just came out of left field, and to me, seemed like a stunt. I almost dropped the show because I disliked it so much. But I stuck with it, and the show actually gets much better.
Old 01-14-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

still enjoying the show...
Old 01-15-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a soap opera, so I guess I wasn't as shocked by what happened to Anna as some. Prior seasons have had soap opera staples, like the soldier who claimed to be the Crawley heir back from the dead, Matthew's paralysis and impotence from his war injury and Edith getting left at the altar.
Old 02-02-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I admit I've seen the season already. I refuse to post spoilers but hold on to your hat. I do admit I felt a bit "empty" as I believe this season didn't handle some issues in the best and left things hanging. Not really in a "come back next season to see what happens" but more of a "I don't want or know how to continue this" so just drops things. Perhaps things will be continued......

Oh yeah, Anna and Edith are characters to watch.
I've seen the whole season now too thanks to Blu-ray. I enjoyed it, but this was probably my least favorite of the 4. Yes, some parts were "empty": there was one storyline that was left up to viewers in the end (which I don't like), another storyline line that was mysterious but never fleshed out, and there was a character on the show that was strangley underutilized this season. I won't mention anything specific that hasn't aired at this point... I knew this season was going to introduce an African-American jazz singer, but I didn't know the producers were going to pick someone with a lousy voice. I was shocked at how bad he was. I also found Mary to be her most icy and snobbish, making it a bit hard to like her or feel bad for her when she was mourning Matthew.
Old 09-26-14, 10:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Season 5 began last week in the UK. I guess the US premiere will be in January.
Old 09-27-14, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Season 5 began last week in the UK. I guess the US premiere will be in January.
PBS announced a month or two ago that S5 will premiere in the US on January 4.
Old 01-12-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

anybody watching this? Episode 2 was just on for Season 5. I think they are just recycling story lines from previous seasons. Bates is involved in a murder ... or not. Thomas trying to get revenge on Bates and being foiled. Mary being cold and distant. She really has no chemistry with either of the suitors. Edith AND Moosley being jokes/punching bags. Robert being clueless and inflexible. Cora being clueless.

I really dislike the Bates character. I don't see why Anna is with him. They should make him the villain and show that he really did kill his wife and that valet. I also don't like the teacher that is friends with Tom. Really, this show used to be one of my favorites but they really have written a lot of the characters to be completely unlikeable.
Old 01-12-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a bit disappointed to see Bates involved in another crime, but then again he's an ex-con, isn't he? Maybe it's just in his nature. And I'm disappointed at how long Baxter's secret is being drawn out. Other than those stories, I still love this show.
Old 01-13-15, 09:00 AM

I've seen all of Season 5. I'm not sure if I'm just getting tired of the show or,if the writing this season is the laziest ever. I'm leaning toward the latter especially after reading a couple of other reviews of this season. I will say give Bates a chance. Sorry no spoilers from me. The only thing I can say is the Christmas Special, really the last episode for us here in the US,is the highlight of the season. Unfortunately you have to suffer through the trials and tribulations especially of Anna and Lady Edith.
Old 01-13-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I've seen all of Season 5. I'm not sure if I'm just getting tired of the show or,if the writing this season is the laziest ever. I'm leaning toward the latter especially after reading a couple of other reviews of this season. I will say give Bates a chance. Sorry no spoilers from me. The only thing I can say is the Christmas Special, really the last episode for us here in the US,is the highlight of the season. Unfortunately you have to suffer through the trials and tribulations especially of Anna and Lady Edith.
I have to agree. What a dismal season this was. Boring and pointless. The xmas special was the highlight of the season. The momentum of last year is totally gone. I would be surprised if season 6 was not the last one. There's just obviously no more story to tell.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 01-13-15 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-13-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Saw all of season 5 as well, and I agree too. Outside of a some funny bits of dialog from Maggie Smith, this season, while not outright bad, felt tired and just going through the motions. Time to end it - I hope next season is that last and that they go out on a high note.
Old 01-13-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Leave bates alone!
Old 03-26-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

upcoming season will be the last.
Old 03-26-15, 06:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yep. It sucks, but at least they're leaving on a high note.
Old 11-10-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Season 6 just finished over in the UK on ITV.... except for the Series finale at Christmas.

I just watched 6x08 last night.... damn.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.