Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sherlock (BBC/PBS) Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sherlock - BBC July25 / PBS Oct 24

Sherlock is a British television series created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss. It is a contemporary update of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes detective stories, starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson. It was originally commissioned as a 60-minute pilot, which was filmed but never broadcast. Three 90-minute episodes were commissioned, which are scheduled to broadcast weekly from 25 July 2010 on BBC One and BBC HD.

This was co-produced by PBS and will be shown in the states starting in late October. Moffat is known for his work on the new Doctor Who series, but this production seems more like his Jekyll series from a few years ago.

I just watched the first episode and I liked it. A good modern update in writing and direction, but still captures the classic Holmes feel. Homles' eccentric nature lends itself quite nicely to the modernization actually.

If anyone wants to discuss specifics I suggest spoilerizing them for the time being since it's lesser known than the usual BBC premiere programming we discuss here.
Old 07-25-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sherlock - BBC July25 / PBS Oct 24

Wow...really sounds great. Hadn't heard anything about this before this thread but I'm definitely going to check this out.
Old 07-26-10, 03:58 AM
Mod Emeritus

I agree that this continues Moffat's practice of smartly bringing classics to the modern age.

From my memory of the original stories - and without giving anything away - I could see that there were elements that they'd cleverly updated e.g. Holmes & Watson's meeting; deduction based on a mobile phone instead of a pocket watch etc. etc.

I certainly liked the interaction between the main characters and the occasional misdirection but was not entirely surprised as to the turn of events and the identity of this week's "villain".

Looking solely at the story, I'd say the first episode was something of a triumph of style over substance but, that being said, I do like stylish shows and I'll certainly be watching next week.

And, no doubt all the non-UK based viewers who somehow manage to get to see the show in advance of its official overseas screening will be sending their donations to the BBC by way of an informal licence fee!
Old 07-26-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

+1, benedict.

Re:the story
Spoiler:

Not only was the story a matter of style over substance, but it seems the producers didn't see the forest for the trees. They showed off Sherlock's parlor tricks and skills of deduction in minor issues, but then completely dumbed him down when it came to solving the actual case. Sherlock gets close to the killer but ultimately fails to deduce his identity, motive or method until the killer approaches him and reveals all three, which is quite un-Holmes-like.

The cab/foot chase sequence was interesting for a couple of reasons. First, it was the only moment where the stylized directing went way overboard. I guess it was intended to show Holmes working at genius speed, but it came across as just a jumbled mess of quick cut editing. Second, I assumed he was after the cab driver from the start. Granted this was mostly because they way they lit the passenger and my own right/left hand drive confusion made me think the man they saw was the driver.

As for the killer himself, the "Princess Bride" twist was cute, but ultimately I would say his method was a lot closer to "forced them to take a suicide pill at gunpoint" than "just talked to them."
Old 08-01-10, 03:38 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Saw the first episode today. I'm kinda 'meh' on it. Some aspects were great - acting, direction, but I thought the script was really crappy in parts and I really hated the visual gimmicks.
Old 08-01-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Wife and I just finished watching the first installment and really liked it a lot. I did not realize that Watson was Arthur Dent from the Hitchhikers movie! Anyway, great start, looking forward to part two - and funny misdirection on the introduction of Holmes' "arch-enemy". We had a good laugh about it. Love Holmes' preference to text rather than talk to people on the phone, and we thought the visual gimmicks were actually clever, similar to Downey's version running through strategies in his head before actually putting them in motion. Nice job! Too bad there are only three movies to begin with...
Old 08-03-10, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I caught this last night and though it was fun. I think him 'failing' to deduce the identify was actually a good thing. As SH said to Watson early on (or perhaps himself) - "I always get something wrong." He pretty much had it right,
Spoiler:
but missed that it was the cab driver instead of the passenger. Plus, you could tell at that point it was more for his own curiosity as to why he was still going along with the driver. Plus, that was necessary for Watson to save him.

I also liked the twist with the 'villain'. Should be interesting to see that play out further in the next two episodes. Would like to see more of the assistant.
Old 08-05-10, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I caught the second episode last night. I thought it was mixed from the first one. It was certainly good, but I'm not sure it had the same energy as the first one. However, I do think the case was better than it showed more of Sherlock's detective and reasoning skills. The case was solved more than the first, yet it still leaves open a large story thread. I'm very curious to see how that bit emerges in the third episode, whether it is a dangling plot point or at the front. I think it may be discovery with something to look forward to should more be made.

It sounds like it's doing well in the ratings, so I hope that bodes well for any future series. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...bc1-tv-ratings
Old 08-10-10, 07:23 AM

Good news for fans of the show.

Sherlock to return for second series

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 10 August 2010 12.00 BST

Sherlock, BBC1's Sunday night drama that has drawn both big audiences and critical acclaim, will be returning for a second series, the show's producer confirmed today.

Sue Vertue told BBC1's Breakfast programme that a meeting was planned with BBC executives to discuss production plans for the second series. "There will be more. We're having a meeting to talk about how many and when really," she said.

The updated tales of the consulting detective, created by Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat and writer and actor Mark Gatiss, have been a huge success for the BBC – with fans clamouring for more episodes on blog and online forums as soon as Sunday's final episode concluded.

"Steven and Mark are very busy – Steven is obviously doing Doctor Who as well - so it's just when we're going to do them," said Vertue. She also said that the episodes will remain at 90 minutes long.

Vertue was joined on the Breakfast sofa by Moffat, her husband, who described himself and Gattis as "massive, massive Sherlock Holmes geeks", before explaining how the pair had created their version of Moriarty - unveiled on Sunday night to somewhat mixed reviews.

"We knew what we wanted to do with Moriarty from the very beginning. Moriarty is usually a rather dull, rather posh villain so we thought someone who was genuinely properly frightening. Someone who's an absolute psycho," Moffat said.

"In a way Moriarty is the man who makes Sherlock a hero … he's a rather amoral character Sherlock Holmes, so you want someone for him to respond to that turns him into the hero he's sort of destined to be."

Moffat later told Radio 5 Live: "We're going in for a meeting any second now about it. But yes, of course it will [come back]. It's not officially confirmed yet but yes, it will – of course it will."

The BBC said last week that it had been "thrilled" by reaction to the programme. Overnight figures for Sunday's final episode had a combined audience of 7.3 million viewers on BBC1 and BBC HD.

Sherlock has turned Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays the consulting detective, into a television superstar.

"Benedict was the only person we actually saw for [the part of] Sherlock," said Vertue. "Once Benedict was there it was really just making sure we got the chemistry for John [Watson, played by Martin Freeman] – and I think you get it as soon as they come into the room, you can see that they work together."

Vertue produces Sherlock for Hartswood Films, the independent production company founded and chaired by her mother, Beryl Vertue.
Old 08-10-10, 07:24 AM

BTW, I thought the characterization of the Moriarty character was horrible. Just completely and totally awful.
Old 08-10-10, 09:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

The final ep's story was certainly gripping - and I kind of liked the way they included "The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans" almost as a subplot - but one really had to suspend the disbelief as to the overall sequence of events and the motivation behind them.

And, yes, Moriarty was, er, strange.
Old 08-10-10, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by benedict
And, yes, Moriarty was, er, strange.
The consensus online is that the actor was channeling Graham Norton.
Old 08-11-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the first episode, and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially considering I just finished "A Study In Scarlet", which served as a basis for most of the episode.
Old 08-19-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched all of the episodes and enjoyed them all. I was totally blindsided by the reveal at the end, and just plain did not see that coming. It's not often those things aren't overly telegraphed and this was a good job.

As for Moriarty, I've read many people thought that he was trying to pull off a Heath Ledger type unhinged Joker, but just didn't pull it off.
Old 08-19-10, 03:21 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Saw the first episode today. I'm kinda 'meh' on it. Some aspects were great - acting, direction, but I thought the script was really crappy in parts and I really hated the visual gimmicks.
You are mad Sir! Mad!

I loved the texting, and how it showed up on screen!
Old 08-19-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I loved the texting, and how it showed up on screen!
It's about time an English speaking country did that. I've been seeing it for years in Korean films. Always thought it was a nice technique.
Old 08-24-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally saw part 3. I think it was the strongest of the 3 in fact. I thought you saw more of Sherlock's deductive skills and another side with him enjoying the thrill of the mystery.

Originally Posted by movieking
Watched all of the episodes and enjoyed them all. I was totally blindsided by the reveal at the end, and just plain did not see that coming. It's not often those things aren't overly telegraphed and this was a good job.
I agree 100% Usually that type of thing is so obvious. At first I didn't even get it. Heck,
Spoiler:
the trick reveal was even better. I was thinking, "No way! Now that's screwed up and interesting."

For anybody that didn't manage to see them I certainly think they're worth checking out when they hit PBS in October.

Things I'd like to see explored more in Series 2:

- More text information. I think it's a neat way to give the viewer information and insight without being obtrusive. If anything I think they used it too little.

- I'd like to see more
Spoiler:
of Watson's deductive skills. Right now he doesn't get much think time and even then Sherlock always one ups him.

- I'd like to see the female doctor appear more
Old 10-24-10, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Sherlock (BBC/PBS) Series Thread

Outstanding series of three movies chronically the beginnings of Holmes' and Watson's relationship. First film, A Study in Pink, is a modern day take on A Study in Scarlet. I watched this a few months ago when it first aired on BBC, and am glad it is finally getting to a larger American audience.
Old 10-24-10, 07:39 AM

Re: Sherlock (BBC) begins tonight on PBS...

Thanks for the heads-up on this...I just set my DVR to record them.
Old 10-24-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Set my DVR as well. I meant to watch this when it originally aired on the BBC but didn't get a chance.
Old 10-24-10, 10:59 AM

I've seen - and loved - all 3 episodes as well. Sherlock is an excellent re-imagining of the Sherlock Holmes franchise.
Old 10-24-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

FYI, on my TWC DVR, it was listed under "Masterpiece Mystery".
Old 10-24-10, 03:06 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Brilliant Stuff - Loved it.
Old 10-24-10, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
FYI, on my TWC DVR, it was listed under "Masterpiece Mystery".
Glad I read this. I checked the guide and even did a keyword search, so I assumed my PBS wasn't broadcasting it.
However, it is indeed listed under Masterpiece Mystery.
Old 10-24-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A huge thumbs up from me as well. I think that Bravo or Showcase has started to air it in Canada as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.