Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Did Family Guy go too far?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Did Family Guy cross the line with Palins Son joke?
yes
12.02%
no
70.49%
Sarah Palin is hot.
13.11%
Sarah Palin is not hot.
4.37%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Did Family Guy go too far?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Did Family Guy go too far?

Its a tv show who cares if she cant take a joke well thats just sad
Old 02-22-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
It's a cartoon from an liberal creator
What is so inherently "liberal" about Seth MacFarlane and/or Family Guy, other than they take cheap shots at Republican/conservative targets? I've also seen them take shots at blacks, Jews, Catholics, hippies, environmentalists, feminists, Born-Agains, Muslims, homosexuals, nerds, etc. If anything, they've taken more potshots at celebrities and Hollywood than anyone else.

Or are conservatives so persecuted that their suffering earns them an elevated status of chronic woe-is-meism?

People on all sides are such pussies.
Old 02-22-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Of course it was targeted at Palin's family. Duh. That being said, so what, that's what they do. It's a cartoon from an liberal creator, taking cheap shots at a prominent conservative...where's the surprise? Now you could argue about the hypocrisy inherent in that had it instead been some conservative network TV show mining humor from a birth defect in an Obama child there would be widespread outrage at the hate-mongering racist producers of the show requiring a national dialog and immediate show cancellation.

ETA: Sarah Palin is hot.
You are wrong on all points.
Old 02-22-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
What is so inherently "liberal" about Seth MacFarlane and/or Family Guy, other than they take cheap shots at Republican/conservative targets? I've also seen them take shots at blacks, Jews, Catholics, hippies, environmentalists, feminists, Born-Agains, Muslims, homosexuals, nerds, etc. If anything, they've taken more potshots at celebrities and Hollywood than anyone else.
Ask Seth MacFarlane what make him staunchly liberal. He has no problem talking about it whatsoever, and has on many, many occasions. To think he would therefore hold back in any way from cheap shotting a prominent conservative makes no sense.

Or are conservatives so persecuted that their suffering earns them an elevated status of chronic woe-is-meism?
That's funny.

People on all sides are such pussies.
Increasingly true.
Old 02-22-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
You are wrong on all points.
Including this one?

Of course it was targeted at Palin's family. Duh. That being said, so what, that's what they do. It's a cartoon from an liberal creator, taking cheap shots at a prominent conservative...where's the surprise?
Look, as a fan of the show I get Seth's humor, I get Seth's political beliefs, and I get that he likes taking shots as those who don't share his take on things. I get it. This joke was totally in character.
Old 02-22-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Including this one?

Yes even this one. Seth's show was NOT making fun of Palin or her family. Just leave it at that...
Old 02-22-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Family guy is still on??
Old 02-22-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ask Seth MacFarlane what make him staunchly liberal. He has no problem talking about it whatsoever, and has on many, many occasions. To think he would therefore hold back in any way from cheap shotting a prominent conservative makes no sense.
Would ye deny that the show consistently lampoons, mocks, or cruelly makes fun of minorities and celebrities -- ostensibly liberal targets -- to a MUCH higher degree than Republicans or conservatives?

However thin you slice it, it's still just another case of an "outraged" politician making much ado about nothing. I'm just surprised Palin has taken a page out of the liberal playbook on this one. But then again, she's ****y.
Old 02-22-10, 05:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm still not sure how this could be considered a "shot" at Palin, cheap or otherwise. It was a pop culture reference, nothing more nothing less.
Old 02-22-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm still not sure how this could be considered a "shot" at Palin, cheap or otherwise. It was a pop culture reference, nothing more nothing less.
Groucho. Always the voice of reason.
Old 02-22-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You see Bill Needle? Just play along. It's easier this way...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-22-10 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-22-10, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly, it was just a reference. It wasn't even really a joke. It was just a reference to the fact that Palin's kid has down's syndrome. I don't think it can be said that the show "went after" her kid.
Old 02-22-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno
Exactly, it was just a reference. It wasn't even really a joke. It was just a reference to the fact that Palin's kid has down's syndrome. I don't think it can be said that the show "went after" her kid.
"You think THAT was difficult? Remember the time I went up against Trig Palin on 'Are You Smarter Than A Retarded Toddler?" *cue unfunny cutaway gag*

Something like that, yeah, maybe I could see Palin losing her mud over... maybe... and that's still not worth getting huffy over.
Old 02-22-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You see Bill needle? Just play along. It's easier this way...
Old 02-23-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newsweek jumps into the fray:

Two people on opposite paths, only having in common the damp-browed effort with which they approach provoking and being provoked; watching them bicker is like a nature documentary about the beautiful symbiosis that happens in nature, except that it's hard to tell whether Palin is the clownfish and MacFarlane the sea anemone, or vice versa. But while both Palin and MacFarlane seem to benefit from the controversy they're generating, there is a loser in this fight, and it's MacFarlane. Why? Because the joke wasn't funny.

The problem with the conversation surrounding the Family Guy episode is that it presupposes that people fall into one of two categories: those who think the joke was funny because they weren't offended by it, and those who think the joke wasn't funny because they were. I didn't find the joke funny, not because it was insensitive to people with Down syndrome or to Sarah Palin, but because it just wasn't funny. Like, as a joke. Plenty of criticisms have been lobbed at Family Guy, from the quality of the animation, to its reliance on interchangeable, inorganic cutaway gags (see South Park’s two-part take down, “Cartoon Wars”) but the Palin joke is a perfect example of the show's major shortcoming. The MacFarlane sensibility puts a premium on being offensive, and that's fine when the jokes are soundly constructed, but too often Family Guy jokes aren't clever or well written, they're just shocking. To some people (me included, at times) the shock value is enough to inspire some uncomfortable tittering, but jokes like that don't stand up to scrutiny. If you take two seconds to think about them, you realize it wasn't that funny to begin with, and it certainly doesn't work on a subsequent viewing, when you're expecting it.

It's overgenerous to call what Family Guy does satire because it's not terribly smart. It only passes for satire for people who don't have enough interest in the news to watch Jon Stewart or Steven Colbert. The Palin joke is the laziest kind of topical humor, the kind that trades on obvious, surface information: "So, Clinton had to have heart surgery again. Maybe he should lay off all those greasy hamburgers he enjoys so much!" Simply restating a fact in a different context, like the fact that Palin has a child with Down syndrome, isn't funny, even if you dislike Palin or disagree with her politics. There's a lot to like about Family Guy; the arcane pop-culture references kill me, as does anything that features a talking baby. But if MacFarlane is going to climb into Palin's sandbox, he's going to have to equip himself with much sharper material.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/233992?fr...Top+Stories%29
Old 02-23-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Newsweek jumps into the fray
Seems like pretty fair-minded, dare I say it, "professional," criticism to me. I especially liked the remark about the Family Guy audience not having enough interest in the news to watch Jon Stewart or "Steven" Colbert, since his name is actually spelled, "Stephen." An exposure of the writer's own lack of genuine interest, or a clever testing of his readership?
Old 02-23-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Okay, let's try a different tack. Set aside for the moment (if you can) anything to do with Sarah Palin or her family. Is the "joke" itself inherently offensive to anyone? Perhaps to those particularly sensitive to Down's Syndrome, but likely not to any of Family Guy's general viewership (who are long since de-sensitized to such things).
My sister has and goes to a school full of kids with special needs, including downs syndrome, so I'm pretty sensitive to people making fun of them. Yet, I didn't find this offensive at all.
Old 02-23-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm ok with anything that takes a jab at Palin and/or her family.
Old 02-23-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Sarah Palin, no problem. But leave her family out of it.
Old 02-23-10, 12:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

What the Newsweek article doesn't really state is that 90% of Family Guy is random pop culture references with no "funny" behind it. You laugh in recognition rather than hilarity (if you laugh at all). And that's the realm that this "joke" falls in.
Old 02-23-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Super X
I still don't quite see how that made fun of Trig Palin.

Any time you make fun of Palin you make fun of Palin kids. You insult one you insult the other. So If I said Palin looks like a woman. I would also be saying Trig looks like a woman insulting both at the same time. Now do you get it. And yes Trig is being a baby about this.
Old 02-23-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
I say leave the little guy and the youngest daughter out. Since the oldest daughter is running around babbling about being a born again virgin/abstinence only, she's fair game for the media.
Old 02-23-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Bristol Palin to appear on ABC Family series about teen pregnancy

Bristol Palin, arguably the most famous teen mother in America, will play herself on ABC Family's "The Secret Life of the American Teenager," the cable network announced today.
The daughter of former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, Britol will play herself as a friend to the show's protagonist, Amy Juergens. "Secret Life" focuses on how the Juergens family and Amy's friends deal with the teenager's own unexpected pregnancy.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/bristol-pa...ory?id=9917876

All bets are off now because even Sarah Palin thinks it's okay to attack those Hollywood Elites.
Old 02-23-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you name a child "Trig", you have to expect this sort of thing.

I wish that Palin and her entire family would go crawl under a big rock so that we never have to hear about them ever again.
Old 02-23-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no problem with any and all shots at her secessionist mouth-breathing dipshit husband and hypocritical teenage whore daughter. The rest of the family I have no problem ignoring, so long as Sarah doesn't keep parading the retard for sympathy votes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.