Doesn't anyone here watch Chopped?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doesn't anyone here watch Chopped?

Old 03-10-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts
Re: Doesn't anyone here watch Chopped?

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Yep. I hated Debbie from the word Go on her actual season and she was just as irritating on this. Even though I knew she would stick to her one dimensional cooking (Korean), it was still a bit comical to watch it play out that way.
Oh, is she Korean?
Old 03-10-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 414 Posts

Hi, I'm Debbie, I'm Korean!
Old 03-10-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Duff should do a presentation on some sort of plate made from ice as a big FUCK YOU to the network for replacing his show with some ice sculpture show. That's gotta hurt.
Old 03-14-11, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely worth catching the 2nd round of the Chopped All Stars, one of the best episodes of the show ever imo. Still think the 4th round will be the best
Old 03-14-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Damn, forgot about this last night. I think the also rans from last week put a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 03-14-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering if top-tier talented chefs would make a difference on this show, and the answer is yes.

The 4th rd, with the Chopped judges competing, will be great. Next week should show some great food too, if less personality.

How on earth did Irvine cook a stuffed tenderloin in under 10 minutes???
Old 03-14-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 903 Likes on 667 Posts

I think they should have separated Robert and Anne. They have experience with timed competitions and both should have been able to make the finals.
Old 03-14-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
I think they should have separated Robert and Anne. They have experience with timed competitions and both should have been able to make the finals.
Agreed. They could have planned it better so you would have the potential for a great final.

Last night's episode was pretty amazing to watch.
Old 03-14-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I actually mistakenly made a separate thread because I never noticed this one, but I really enjoy this one. Unlike Iron Chef which is mostly staged, for the most part I think that they really do not know the ingredients beforehand and cook in a true 20 minute window. I suspect that there is some time for water to boil and ovens to preheat but thats about it.

Last nights was particularly good I thought and the TV chefs defintely showed some of the reasons that they are where they are. I mean they made what is essentially dog food look good, and both main courses looked awesome.
Old 03-14-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Robert and Anne were amazing to watch. It's a shame they both couldn't make it the the finals. I have to laugh thinking about the guy who won last week having to go against Anne. Good luck, buddy!
Old 03-14-11, 11:06 PM

I was hoping to see Duff in a different light with this Chopped competition. He definitely had the talent to make it to the finals if he wanted to but he was put up against powerhouse competitors. Kind of a sad way to leave the Food Network if that indeed was his last appearance sans his parts in "the Best thing I ever ate."
Old 03-16-11, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I think Duff should do a presentation on some sort of plate made from ice as a big FUCK YOU to the network for replacing his show with some ice sculpture show. That's gotta hurt.
I really liked his show.
Old 03-16-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Noonan
Agreed.
Old 03-16-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Looked like Claire almost took a finger off.

Part way through the first round, she started wearing a rubber glove with a very red middle finger.
Old 03-16-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Looked like Claire almost took a finger off.

Part way through the first round, she started wearing a rubber glove with a very red middle finger.
I noticed that and wondered if it was a cut and why they didn't comment on it. They do every other time someone does it.
Old 03-17-11, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I cannot wait to see how the judges do....and how they take criticism.
Old 03-19-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I actually mistakenly made a separate thread because I never noticed this one, but I really enjoy this one. Unlike Iron Chef which is mostly staged, for the most part I think that they really do not know the ingredients beforehand and cook in a true 20 minute window. I suspect that there is some time for water to boil and ovens to preheat but thats about it.

Last nights was particularly good I thought and the TV chefs defintely showed some of the reasons that they are where they are. I mean they made what is essentially dog food look good, and both main courses looked awesome.
To my knowledge, on Iron Chef they only find out what the secret ingredient is about 15 minutes beforehand. So still quite a feat at what they do.

But yeah, almost certain they have no idea on Chopped which does make it entertaining. As far as boiling water almost certain they do not get that luxury. The oven on other hand almost certainly are already turned on. And since Robert did a tenderloin does not shock me that he was able to get it done to rare. It was even cooking from the inside as the stuffing he was putiing in was still hot the judges mentioned in amazement that he was tolerating it.
Old 03-19-11, 11:52 AM

Your right they know the Main or Secret Ingredient before hand. But with most foods. If you know how to cook with meats. Your good to work with most items on the fly.
Old 03-19-11, 11:53 AM

Sorry 15 minutes beforehand and they tape it 3/5 times to get it right. Top it off there is only 60 mins to make the food and another 45 mins to plate the other 3 plates.
Old 03-19-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Schloob1
To my knowledge, on Iron Chef they only find out what the secret ingredient is about 15 minutes beforehand. So still quite a feat at what they do.
Not quite true, read here: http://www.lohud.com/article/2007052...y-an-Iron-Chef
Old 03-19-11, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I am there once a year, I have seen the show taped. I have nothing to do with the show (FN Yes, any shows NO).

I do know that they tape the opening (where they see what they will be cooking with) 3 to 4 times. At this point they know what the main item will be. 15 Mins before they start cooking and the last time the bring it up. They talk about what they are going to cook. Yes everything is hot or cold that is need. They have 60 mins to cook it all, then 45 mins to plate the extra plates, then time to be judge, etc (takes close to 3 hours total). They shoot two shows with the same chef. He is right only the main chef is there the rest is taped. Brown is funny, once someone did make him a plate (Main Chef).

As for Chopped. Some did post and I did ask today about this. Yes they have no idea what is in the basket. The idea (from what I was told other then that I have no idea) came from a soup called "Pantry Soup"? I did have to ask what that means. You take cans of what you have a make a soup out of it.

I know that the shows that have cakes, and chocolate (the only thing) is that the stage is cold. The ovens over heat the place.

HK is a hoot. I have never been there when they have been taping once/twice (last year was twice). I go there and play a Chef that cannot cook (I can cook). It's to test out the place and make sure it all working and to have fun. FYI they do not get a job as it pointed out time and time again. They do win the cash, and they do get a job there. But not as the Head Chef and for only a year.
Old 03-20-11, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by drq2
I
As for Chopped. Some did post and I did ask today about this. Yes they have no idea what is in the basket. The idea (from what I was told other then that I have no idea) came from a soup called "Pantry Soup"? I did have to ask what that means. You take cans of what you have a make a soup out of it.
Chopped is very much like an old cooking show called "Ready, Set Cook". Much of the ideas come from that show I believe.
Old 03-24-11, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone else watch this latest round of all-stars? I liked the guy who won (Appleby?) but based on all 3 courses, it appeared that Anita Lo had the better overall performance. It really seemed to me like they gave it to Appleby out of sympathy for how close the charity he is playing for is to his heart.
Old 03-24-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Did anyone else watch this latest round of all-stars? I liked the guy who won (Appleby?) but based on all 3 courses, it appeared that Anita Lo had the better overall performance. It really seemed to me like they gave it to Appleby out of sympathy for how close the charity he is playing for is to his heart.
She didn't get all the food on to a plate in one round. That's why she lost.
Old 03-24-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

She did pretty poorly all around. I couldn't believe it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.