Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Cougar Town -- "When a Kid Goes Bad" -- 02/10/10

Cougar Town

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Laurie meets Smith's father (Barry Bostwick); Jules turns to Grayson for a default Valentine's Day companion; Bobby and Jules debate letting Travis go to a party where there will be alcohol.

I'm curious. Out of all the new sitcoms that have aired this season. Where would this one rank for you? I like it and think it has it's moments, but It looks like it's hitting bottom of the barrel compared to Community or Modern Family as far as fans here.

The one thing that bugs me is Courteney Cox acts like she's on speed every week. She a little over the top playing Jules.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-10-10 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-11-10, 12:38 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Cougar Town -- "When a Kid Goes Bad" -- 02/10/10

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm curious. Out of all the new sitcoms that have aired this season. Where would this one rank for you? I like it and think it has it's moments, but It looks like it's hitting bottom of the barrel compared to Community or Modern Family as far as fans here.
I don't think it's as consistent as those 2 are, but it has it's moments when it is right on par with those two. The characters aren't strong across the board like those two. I don't think Jules and Bobby are very funny, but Travis and Andy together are comedy gold. Laurie and Ellie have their moments.

Andy was great tonight.
Old 02-11-10, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"You have let too many people into our coffee circle! Why don't you invite those creepy home-schooled kids from next door? They can wow us with math skills while they stab us to death!"

Easily the funniest line of the night for the ABC comedies. I thought this episode was stronger than "Modern Family" tonight. I liked the Andy stuff, both his owning up to his freaky fetishes and the fact that he opted to be a stand-up guy in the end. And I'm getting past Christa Miller's freaky appearance and enjoying her character more. She's nasty, but she's still got a heart. Sometimes.

As far as new shows, MF is #1 & this is #2. I watched and enjoyed "Community" the first few eps, but I fell behind and just stopped watching altogether. Even though it's not normally all that important with comedies, if I miss some episodes, I just can't pick it back up again or jump into an already established program, so unless a new show is just an absolute must for me, like these two are, they tend to fall off my radar.
Old 02-11-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this show and couldn't get into Modern Family or Community.
Old 02-12-10, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
I don't think it's as consistent as those 2 are, but it has it's moments when it is right on par with those two. The characters aren't strong across the board like those two. I don't think Jules and Bobby are very funny, but Travis and Andy together are comedy gold. Laurie and Ellie have their moments.

Andy was great tonight.
I don't think it as consistent as the other two either, but the guys make the show watchable. A couple of them usually steal the show on a weekly basis.
Old 02-12-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya

The one thing that bugs me is Courteney Cox acts like she's on speed every week. She a little over the top playing Jules.
I really enjoy it and also love Modern Family. I don't think there's been an episode I didn't like, although I didn't catch the first two episodes. At first I didn't care for Ellie, but it seems she's softened up a bit recently. Still bitchy, but not 24/7 bitchy which is fine.

I started on Community but didn't find it that funny. I have a friend who really likes it though, so I don't know if it got better or not.
Old 02-12-10, 03:32 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I really love this show and Modern Family and Community. If you told me I could only watch one, I'm not sure which I'd pick.

I can tell you this: I watch the Middle every week and while it's perfectly enjoyable, it's nowhere close to the other three I mentioned.
Old 02-12-10, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good ensemble comedy. I think they started out with Courney Cox being the focus and now it has kinda distributed things out to everyone. Everyone works well together although I kinda find the father annoying sometimes.
Even the kid does a great job holding his own.
Old 02-14-10, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going away from being Courtney Cox-centric definitely made this show better for me.
Old 02-14-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Alan Sepinwall of the blog What's Alan Watching? raised the idea of changing the name of the show:

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2010/0...honeytoes.html

Ratings haven't been great lately, at least compared to how "Modern Family" does right before it. ABC's already renewed it for next year, so that's not a big concern at the moment, but after a couple of people on Twitter asked me today if the show would do better with a different name, I wonder if they might be right. Lawrence says that the title helped get the show picked up in the first place because it was an attention-getter, but it's also a big turn-off to people who don't watch the show, and/or those who sampled it early when the title was much more apt than it is now. There's not a ton of precedent for a show retitling itself mid-stream, but as James Poniewozik pointed out, Ellen DeGeneres' ABC sitcom did start as "These Friends of Mine" before becoming "Ellen." So it can be done.

So the question is, should they try? And, if so, what might be more apt for what "Cougar Town" has turned itself into?
It's an interesting idea; I don't think the title really fits the show anymore (if it ever did) and it may in fact be turning people off from watching.
Old 02-16-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I wouldn't mind a name change. It's actually pretty cringe inducing. I don't know what I would suggest as a replacement though.
Old 02-16-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

MILF Town?