Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Leslie Knope still has a job: Parks and Recreation gets renewed for a 3rd season.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Leslie Knope still has a job: Parks and Recreation gets renewed for a 3rd season.

Old 01-29-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/pa...on-three-13697

Fans of NBC's "Parks and Recreation" can exhale: The show will be back next fall.

NBC has just picked up the third season of the Amy Poehler comedy from executive producers Greg Daniels and Mike Schur ("The Office"), sources confirmed Friday. The greenlight comes far sooner than typical network renewals for sophomore series.

The show had certain production timing issues that made an early renewal necessary, network sources said. "Parks and Rec" has also quickly become a favorite of NBC executives, including NBC U TV chief Jeff Gaspin and NBC Entertainment president Angela Bromstad.

After an OK start last spring, "Parks and Rec" has turned into a major buzz magnet among critics and bloggers, landing on a slew of year-end top 10 lists. The series' ratings, while still softer than NBC would probably like, have been consistent and in line with other scripted series in the 8:30 p.m. Thursday time slot.
Fantastic News.
Old 01-29-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Leslie Knope still has a job: Parks and Recreation gets renewed for a 3rd season.

I'm a bit surprised, but it's a pleasant surprise. Surprise might be a strong word. I think given the deficit of 5 hours of programming NBC needs to fill, a lot of their shows will be picked up when they may have faced trouble in other years.

The show has definitely improved. It still bugs me that Rashida's character has such a tenuous connection to the rest of the cast, though.
Old 01-29-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Leslie Knope still has a job: Parks and Recreation gets renewed for a 3rd season.

Not surprising given NBC's situation; very happy, though!
Old 01-29-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

There is some speculation that Community might be in jeaporady. I know it's a co-production with Sony Pictures and might cost a little more than Parks.
Old 01-29-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good news. This show has come into its own this year.
Old 01-29-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
There is some speculation that Community might be in jeaporady. I know it's a co-production with Sony Pictures and might cost a little more than Parks.
Now that would really suck.

Actually, perhaps ABC could pick up Community from the trash heap and throw it in among their Wednesday block somehow...
Old 01-29-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great news! I really look forward to this on Thursdays.
Old 01-29-10, 10:24 PM

Great news! I hope Community is renewed, too, because I love all 4 Thursday comedies. I would hate for them to replace it with a show that's not as good.
Old 01-29-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I just read another article that said NBC had to renew it now so they wouldn't risk losing the actors to other projects.
Old 01-29-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just read another article that said NBC had to renew it now so they wouldn't risk losing the actors to other projects.
Brilliant. Maybe they'll decide to run it at 12:05 after 7 weeks.

Good to know NBC decision-making hasn't changed.
Old 01-29-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Brilliant. Maybe they'll decide to run it at 12:05 after 7 weeks.

Good to know NBC decision-making hasn't changed.
I don't know what kind of contracts they negotiated with Poehler, Rashida Jones etc, but that just seems strange to renew it solely because you are afraid of losing them. You would think they would all be under contract at least until the network upfronts.
Old 01-29-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Bulla! Bulla! Buuulaaaaa!!
Old 01-30-10, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Parks and Rec was renewed early because Poehler was going to go off an do something unless (when they would shoot Season 3) so they had to make a decision. Thankfully it was the right one as this show is really funny.

Community still has a shot, especially with Joel McHale being the 'it' boy for E!....and you know who is buying NBC, right? His bosses!
Old 01-30-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

It's their best show, and...

Leslie Knope is a real stand-up guy.

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/e8rG9ZLUe7tJz_RGNoEjKQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/e8rG9ZLUe7tJz_RGNoEjKQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Last edited by B.A.; 01-30-10 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-30-10, 10:45 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

My favorite Thursday comedy -- great news indeed.
Old 01-30-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news. I've really grown to like it.

Hope Community makes it back as well.
Old 01-30-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

shocking considering the ratings, but good news. this has been probably the most consistently funny of the thursday night comedies this year.
Old 01-30-10, 12:03 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome. The show had really taken off in S2.

Now renew Community, NBC!
Old 01-30-10, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geofferson
My favorite Thursday comedy -- great news indeed.
Ditto.
Old 01-30-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonderful news. Every episode of the second season has been topnotch; they really stepped it up in a big way and delivered for the second go around, and this is indeed a deserved renewal for everyone involved.

I really hope Community gets renewed too. While I still love The Office, this season of Parks & Recreation has been much better than the current season of The Office (the Jim & Pam Wedding Episode aside, which was perfection).
Old 01-30-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So glad to hear this - my favourite Thursday night comedy. This season has been leaps and bounds better than Season 1. I think the ratings next season should see an uptick - I'm going to make all my friends catch up with Season 2 when it hits disc and I have no doubt they'll love it and tune in for Season 3 (ala The Office US version).
Old 01-30-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Community has consistently gotten better ratings than Parks. I would be shocked if they didnt bring it back. Especially since its only in its 1st season.
Old 01-30-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

I agree that Community has progressively gotten better. IMO, NBC will probably keep all the Thursday sitcoms, but reshuffle the order and then air a new 1 hour drama at 10pm.
Old 01-30-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that Community has progressively gotten better. IMO, NBC will probably keep all the Thursday sitcoms, but reshuffle the order and then air a new 1 hour drama at 10pm.
I see no need for any shuffling. They work pretty well in the order they're in. I suppose they could try:

The Office
Community
30 Rock
Parks and Recreation

I don't see the point, though. I don't think the ratings would significantly change. It seems to me that these shows probably get the viewers they do on their own merits for the most part. P&R was pretty bad its first season, and not everybody has tuned back in like I have.
Old 01-30-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the order as it is. I find 30 Rock terribly unfunny and don't watch it, so it works out well watching Community, Parks & Recreation, and The Office all in a row and then doing something else. It'd be annoying to have a 30 minute window in the middle of what I normally watch.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.