Twenty Four (24) -- "8:00pm to 9:00pm" -- 01/25/10

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Twenty Four (24) -- "8:00pm to 9:00pm" -- 01/25/10

Originally Posted by RUSF18
I work for a bureau of the government that is definitely not CTU-like. My background check was ridiculously thorough. If I incorrectly listed the cross street of my sophomore year dorm room, it would have been a red flag.
See that is what bothers me about this show....they spend all this time making it seem like they are in the real world, only to pull us out of it with something stupid like this. Thank you for driving my point home.
Old 01-26-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dana/redneck plot is still bad. The payoff better be awesome. I'd like to see Jack and Renee go to town on him and bring in the cougar to finish him off.
Old 01-26-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Here is what I don't get: Jack Bauer has saved the world on multiple occasions and has even testified before Congress. How come no one ever recognizes him? Never mind going undercover, but random police officers and suspects don't know who he is either.
You incorrectly assume that everybody was watching CSPAN that day. Let's get real, how many people watch CSPAN? Furthermore, when Jack goes undercover next week he's going to be wearing glasses and (hopefully) speaking with a German accent. This will be a perfect disguise in the 24 universe.

I am surprised by the negativity here. 24 has never been about reality, so why would they start now?
Old 01-26-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't think it's lazy writing.
Old 01-26-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Damfino
You incorrectly assume that everybody was watching CSPAN that day. Let's get real, how many people watch CSPAN? Furthermore, when Jack goes undercover next week he's going to be wearing glasses and (hopefully) speaking with a German accent. This will be a perfect disguise in the 24 universe.

I am surprised by the negativity here. 24 has never been about reality, so why would they start now?
Nah, the nitpick is valid. Who cares about C-SPAN. The guy saved the nation/world 7 times now. He would be a world-renowned hero.

Also, there's very little negativity here, minus the dumb subplot mentioned by many.
Old 01-26-10, 03:23 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I disagree, 24 spends a good chunk of time make sure we all think it is in reality. But a lot of times, I think the writers get pressured by the network to make the show more accessible and these stupid sub plots and logic holes start forming.

However, even at it's worst, 24 smokes almost 95% of network TV without even trying.
Old 01-26-10, 03:31 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Furthermore, when Jack goes undercover next week he's going to be wearing glasses and (hopefully) speaking with a German accent. This will be a perfect disguise in the 24 universe.
"The German guy wears glasses. Jack Bauer DOESN'T wear glasses."
"He takes them off when he 'transforms'."
"That doesn't make any sense. He wouldn't be able to see."
Old 01-26-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Nah, the nitpick is valid. Who cares about C-SPAN. The guy saved the nation/world 7 times now. He would be a world-renowned hero.
To be fair there are probably a lot of spies out there who we know nothing about and probably never will, who have saved the nation, or at least accomplished tasks that are vital to national security.
Old 01-26-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldblum
How is that lazy writing? I think they took the time to construct a perfectly legitimate background story for Renee and as I mentioned it coincides with how dark her character evolved into last season. They even covered their tracks with Jack mentioning how the FBI covered up her previous assignment.

Lazy writing was making Blue Tooth Guy conveniently Jack's brother or making Wayne Palmer President of the United States even though his character had no inclination to do it in a previous season.
Old 01-26-10, 04:03 PM

Lazy writing was making Blue Tooth Guy conveniently Jack's brother or making Wayne Palmer President of the United States even though his character had no inclination to do it in a previous season.
or making Logan a bad guy when he showed no signs of it prior to his revealing even in scenes when he was alone.
Old 01-26-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vipper II
"The German guy wears glasses. Jack Bauer DOESN'T wear glasses."
"He takes them off when he 'transforms'."
"That doesn't make any sense. He wouldn't be able to see."
Hey, it works for Clark Kent! nobody knows he's Superman unless they find out another way.
Old 01-26-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
I disagree, 24 spends a good chunk of time make sure we all think it is in reality. But a lot of times, I think the writers get pressured by the network to make the show more accessible and these stupid sub plots and logic holes start forming.

However, even at it's worst, 24 smokes almost 95% of network TV without even trying.
Well, I agree on your 2nd point, which is why I don't care about the stupid sub-plots and logic holes.
Old 01-26-10, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
or making Logan a bad guy when he showed no signs of it prior to his revealing even in scenes when he was alone.

Oh come on, I knew Logan was bad after like 5 hours in season 5.
Old 01-26-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetoast
To be fair there are probably a lot of spies out there who we know nothing about and probably never will, who have saved the nation, or at least accomplished tasks that are vital to national security.
Old 01-26-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

How is that lazy writing? I think they took the time to construct a perfectly legitimate background story for Renee and as I mentioned it coincides with how dark her character evolved into last season. They even covered their tracks with Jack mentioning how the FBI covered up her previous assignment.

Yes, lazy. The whole setup last season and even setup in interviews and external media/press materials, was that Renee was this young Jack Bauer coming to grips with how things played out over the course of a day much like we presume Jack went through before we me him. Giving her this whole Russian backstory was just a lazy way to write her back into the show, and evolve her character further than if she had just evolved naturally over a six week span, even though it invalidates everything they setup last season. Maybe by then end of the season they had this backstory in mind and could foreshadow her emotions a bit for this season, but it still doesn't jive with last season as a whole and her character at all. She was a by-the-books FBI agent crossing a line for the first time. There was nothing in the story or character development that would hint at undercover agent for 2 years with Russians. That's like making Mr. Bluetooth Jack's brother. It was convenient and easy.

I also agree with Blutoast. The world at large probably wouldn't know about Jack Bauer, but high ranking government officials and even everyone at CTU would know he was a living legend.
Old 01-26-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Hey, it works for Clark Kent! nobody knows he's Superman unless they find out another way.
Clark Kent speaks with a German accent?
Old 01-26-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So Renee is going to use Harry Potter as her buyer...

Interesting.
Old 01-26-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tarantino
So Renee is going to use Harry Potter as her buyer...

Interesting.
I hope he uses the spell Lava-te-las-manos.
Old 01-26-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yes, lazy. The whole setup last season and even setup in interviews and external media/press materials, was that Renee was this young Jack Bauer coming to grips with how things played out over the course of a day much like we presume Jack went through before we me him. Giving her this whole Russian backstory was just a lazy way to write her back into the show, and evolve her character further than if she had just evolved naturally over a six week span, even though it invalidates everything they setup last season. Maybe by then end of the season they had this backstory in mind and could foreshadow her emotions a bit for this season, but it still doesn't jive with last season as a whole and her character at all. She was a by-the-books FBI agent crossing a line for the first time. There was nothing in the story or character development that would hint at undercover agent for 2 years with Russians. That's like making Mr. Bluetooth Jack's brother. It was convenient and easy.

I also agree with Blutoast. The world at large probably wouldn't know about Jack Bauer, but high ranking government officials and even everyone at CTU would know he was a living legend.
I'm not sure why, but "24" has a way of forcing former characters that the audience loves back onto the show despite there not being an immediate need for them. They did it with Teri later in season 1 when she got amnesia. They did it all season long in season 2 with Kim. They did it with Sherry Palmer and her contrived storyline in season 3.

Instead of allowing non-essential characters to naturally fit into the storyline, they fit the storyline around certain non-essential characters. Still love the show, but I think it's the producers' biggest mistake since day one with this series.
Old 01-26-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, the perfect disguise was the Harry Potter hoodie. Just put the hood over your head and no one can see you!
Old 01-27-10, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You make a valid case, but I wouldn't but Renee's backstory in the same ballpark as Graem being Jack's brother. That was clearly bad writing.

With Renee, the actually spent time explaining what happened to her after season 7 and her undercover assignment in the past. I do agree with you that it came as a surprise and was very unexpected, but they did put enough effort in my opinion to make it somewhat plausible. The way I see it was that she wasn't green last season, she was just by the book and distanced herself from what has happened with Vlad and the Russians, which may or may not involve being raped.
Old 01-27-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'm finally 24'ed out. I find myself fighting to make it through the episodes this season.

And Renee is looking weird this season. Like she lost too much weight.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-27-10 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-27-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love 24, but fuuuuuuck...this subplot with the redneck is almost as bad as the cougar.
Old 01-27-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I love 24, but fuuuuuuck...this subplot with the redneck is almost as bad as the cougar.
I've set this part of the show to 30 second skip
Old 01-27-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chuckd21
That should be the cover of the season 8 score CD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.