Reload this Page >

Worst Cooks in America on the Food Network

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-12-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the worst shit I've ever seen. I hate reality shows to begin with, but I have a certain love for these cooking shows. Iron Chef America, Chopped, Next Iron Chef, Next Food Network Star, etc. but this is just absolutely horrid. Has anyone else been watching this crap?

It's mean spirited nonsense. The hosts are jerks, and that's a disappointment because I always thought Anne seemed nice when she worked with Batali in Iron Chef battles. Not only are these two head chefs most generally pricks, they don't seem to be legitimately teaching these people anything except single recipes, no real technique. They keep saying stuff like "You didn't disappoint me as much as I thought you would," and it's the worst thing about reality shows (arrogance and mean spirited garbage) magnified.

The show's structure is even crap. They get the twelve worse cooks they can find and say they're going to teach them to be better cooks, and then they eliminate the worst ones. So, you really aren't teaching them anything, you're just eliminating the worst ones each week until you have two mildly good cooks. I was expecting some actual training, and drills, producing a product of multiple good cooks, but instead they're just bringing in bad cooks and sending them home bad cooks.

I just got done watching the second episode, and had to come here and bitch about it. Food Network really let me down here, there's a lot on that channel I don't watch but this is the first thing I've actually seen on the channel that makes me despise them for it.
Old 01-12-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Worst Cooks in America on the Food Network

I watched the first episode and found it entertaining. Though the most entertaining part was seeing the "bad" food that the first round of people were making. Although a couple of the ones they chose to continue on didn't really seem to have the worst food, which means they'll probably stick around for a long time, while the more entertaining/clueless people will drop off.

I didn't watch the 2nd one yet, but I can see how it would get less entertaining every week.
Old 01-12-10, 10:46 AM

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by John Slider
This is the worst shit I've ever seen. I hate reality shows to begin with, but I have a certain love for these cooking shows. Iron Chef America, Chopped, Next Iron Chef, Next Food Network Star, etc. but this is just absolutely horrid. Has anyone else been watching this crap?

It's mean spirited nonsense. The hosts are jerks, and that's a disappointment because I always thought Anne seemed nice when she worked with Batali in Iron Chef battles. Not only are these two head chefs most generally pricks, they don't seem to be legitimately teaching these people anything except single recipes, no real technique. They keep saying stuff like "You didn't disappoint me as much as I thought you would," and it's the worst thing about reality shows (arrogance and mean spirited garbage) magnified.

The show's structure is even crap. They get the twelve worse cooks they can find and say they're going to teach them to be better cooks, and then they eliminate the worst ones. So, you really aren't teaching them anything, you're just eliminating the worst ones each week until you have two mildly good cooks. I was expecting some actual training, and drills, producing a product of multiple good cooks, but instead they're just bringing in bad cooks and sending them home bad cooks.

I just got done watching the second episode, and had to come here and bitch about it. Food Network really let me down here, there's a lot on that channel I don't watch but this is the first thing I've actually seen on the channel that makes me despise them for it.
Unfortunately, if Food Network's programming is any indication, people no longer want to learn *how* to do things in the kitchen anymore. Instead, they're more interested in being entertained by some over-the-top "personality" (this is how FN labels its "talent" now) - if they learn a new recipe that they think they'd like to try, then that's just a bonus. So-called reality programming is where it's at these days; it entertains and brings the sweet, sweet ratings.

Last edited by Vipper II; 01-12-10 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-12-10, 12:24 PM

I've actually learned a lot from some of their shows, even the ones with odd personalities that focus more on the food than they do on the instruction. This show just pissed me off, it seems so ass backwards. They really aren't helping any body, and they're mean. It's not constructive, it's just stupid.
Old 01-12-10, 12:31 PM

I don't mind the show, but it's not just that these people can't cook. They can't function in life, apparently. They're unorganized, they can't follow simple instructions, read their own notes, or retain any knowledge. It goes beyond cooking. That being said, I'll still watch next week.
Old 01-12-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I don't see why the worst of the bunch get's booted each week, shouldn't they be the ones to stay around as that's the most challenging aspect? IMO, those that do learn about and do decent on their single dishes should be eliminated because they are progressing. Those that fail should remain till the end.
Old 01-12-10, 02:00 PM

Agree, there is something backwards about this show. And the hosts are grating, unpleasant, and don't seem to be teaching anything. Same reason I gave up on Chef Academy on Bravo.

I'll stick to Top Chef, Chopped, and Iron Chef, thank you.
Old 01-12-10, 02:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The show's title is a farce, since I'm not on it. I once tried to boil water in the microwave, and broke the plastic measuring cup I was using.
Old 01-13-10, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Unfortunately, if Food Network's programming is any indication, people no longer want to learn *how* to do things in the kitchen anymore. Instead, they're more interested in being entertained by some over-the-top "personality" (this is how FN labels its "talent" now) - if they learn a new recipe that they think they'd like to try, then that's just a bonus. So-called reality programming is where it's at these days; it entertains and brings the sweet, sweet ratings.
Food Network has two distinct periods of programming. The education or more traditional cooking shows are on in the morning and afternoon, while the reality, documentary and "personality" stuff is on at night.
Old 01-13-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't watched this yet, but if you want to try something similar you can check out the Chef Novelli show on Bravo. I really like that show's format.
Old 01-30-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Caught a few episodes of this. I've seen Anne on Iron Chef, but it wasn't until now that I noticed that she looks exactly like Tweek from South Park.
Old 01-30-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's does the winner get besides the title of worst cook in America?
Old 01-30-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601
What's does the winner get besides the title of worst cook in America?
25 grand. And the finale is Monday.
Old 01-30-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I'm mildly entertained by the show, it's fun to watch

And the title they win isn't Worst Cook, it's Best of the Worst.
Old 01-30-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I must be one of the few that actually like this show. Thou I agree they don't really teach them anything and I think they started with to hard of tasks for beginners.
Old 01-30-10, 10:55 PM

show is funny in a sad way....just wondering do the contestants get paid to be on the show, even if they don't win? lynn43