"Why 3-D Television Will Flop"

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Why 3-D Television Will Flop"

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Come on, the glasses are a problem.

Want to lie down and watch TV? Nope.
Want to have guests over to watch 3D TV? Nope.
Can't find your glasses? Shit!

I enjoy 3D, but just every now and then. When I went to see "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" in IMAX 3D, it became tiring after a while (not to mention the fact that the glasses pinched my temples and hurt pretty bad). I couldn't imagine watching 3D all the time like that, and I wouldn't be surprised if it would causes some type of vision issue down the road.

The 3D was amazing, but the discomfort caused me to opt-out of the Toy Story double feature.
Old 01-08-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by mraw

I enjoy 3D, but just every now and then. When I went to see "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" in IMAX 3D, it became tiring after a while (not to mention the fact that the glasses pinched my temples and hurt pretty bad). I couldn't imagine watching 3D all the time like that, and I wouldn't be surprised if it would causes some type of vision issue down the road.

The 3D was amazing, but the discomfort caused me to opt-out of the Toy Story double feature.
It's definitely an adjustment. I've seen 3 movies at the theater in the new 3D style. With each one, I have grown more and more comfortable watching in 3D.

Oh, in regards to the not being able to find the glasses, we've seemed to do all right with remote controls and such. I don't see where keeping track of a pair of glasses would be that difficult.
Old 01-08-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know why nobody rides a roller coaster to work? Because not only would it lose its appeal after the first week, it's completely impractical.
No, you know why nobody rides a roller coaster to work? Because there aren't any roller coasters that actually go to anybodies work! That's why! I would certainly pay twice the cost of a bus pass if I could have a 15 minute roller coaster ride instead of a commute. Right now, nothing sounds cooler to me. Analogy fail.
Old 01-08-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Convenience and ease of use is KING. The main reason HDTVs took off wasn't because they gave you a better picture (non-HD content actually looks worse), but because you get a much bigger screen at a fraction of the weight of your old tube, and they look all slick when not even in use.

Everyone in the room needing glasses for 3D viewing is a major pain in the ass that the average consumer doesn't want to put up with.
Old 01-08-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
It's definitely an adjustment. I've seen 3 movies at the theater in the new 3D style. With each one, I have grown more and more comfortable watching in 3D.

Oh, in regards to the not being able to find the glasses, we've seemed to do all right with remote controls and such. I don't see where keeping track of a pair of glasses would be that difficult.
I had 20 people over to my house a few weeks ago, and at one point we all watched something on TV. Anyone who thinks people will be willing to bring their own glasses to something like that (at least enough people to make money, meaning not people on this forum) is flat-out insane.