TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Report: NBC to Cancel LENO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Report: NBC to Cancel LENO?

Originally Posted by Match
Did NBC finally cancel Last Call with Carson Daly?
It still comes on after Fallen. However, it has taken a different format. From Wikipedia: "Currently in its eighth season, NBC's "Last Call with Carson Daly" utilizes a new style by introducing a documentary style format. Host Carson Daly gets out of the studio and takes the show on location each night. Recent highlights include Daly’s motorcycle trip across the historic Route 66, a visit to comedian Tom Green's house in the Hollywood Hills, and a scene at the Whiskey Bar with the Grammy Award-winning band Kings of Leon."
Old 01-08-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
So either way, Conan's getting fucked. Nice.
loyalty is apparently overrated in the tv business.
Old 01-08-10, 12:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I liked wwtdd's take

http://www.wwtdd.com/

Jeff Zucker is the man to blame for all this. He’s skillfully fucked up in new and imaginative ways since being named Head of Programming in 2000, but this could be his masterpiece. Mostly known for his unique ability to never do anything right, NBC should of course fire him, then drag him outside and load him in a cannon and fire him into a wall, but instead they’ve promoted him several times, eventually to CEO in 2005 and then to President and CEO in 2007. No one in Hollywood has been given this much as a reward for so little since Cash Warren got to fuck Jessica Alba.
Old 01-08-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
horrible post
Sorry to wake you up to the fact that there are people who are on the side of Leno > Conan. But that's ok... I love you anyways, snookie.
Old 01-08-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm confused. I thought Leno said he would be willing to go back to late-night. So why is he pissed? Was that only if it was The Tonight Show?

If this clusterfuck doesn't get Zucker fired, then nothing will. The guy is the teflon executive.

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 01-08-10 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No, they can't. They ordered additional episodes of the already canceled Trauma to pad out their Spring season. If they cut Leno right away (i.e. need to fill 5 more hours a week!), they will have no programming by the end of March. They are reaaaaally screwed. Of course, they can order more Chuck and/or Heroes (which both got 19 episodes this season). Even though NBC has some other shows in the can, let's face it, they all likely suck. They might be able to bring back FNL early, but from what I read, they can't until June because that's the deal they struck with DTV.

At best, NBC will eat some crowe and order additional episodes of Mercy, L&O, SVU and Chuck to help fill a few weeks if Leno goes off in Feb. Parenthood is a fucking mess right now and they may not even get the full 13 episode order this season. They could always import some Canadian shows again (Merlin is ready, as is The Listener).

Very interested to see what NBC does. They are so fucked.
Well, they said that none of these changes would take effect until after the Winter Olympics which would be the beginning of March. Then you roughly 60 hours to fill until May sweeps. I heard nothing about FNL having to wait until June. I believe that was a network decision because they thought the ratings wouldn't be good enough during the regular season. They were under the same deal with DTV last season but brought it back midseason.
Old 01-08-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I heard nothing about FNL having to wait until June. I believe that was a network decision because they thought the ratings wouldn't be good enough during the regular season. They were under the same deal with DTV last season but brought it back midseason.
But Direct TV started FNL late this year if I'm not mistaken. They are only halfway through the season. I think there are still a good 6 weeks left. Of course, those with DTV can chime in with better specifics. Last year, DTV had finished airing all of FNL by the end of December for a January NBC premier.
Old 01-08-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
But Direct TV started FNL late this year if I'm not mistaken. They are only halfway through the season. I think there are still a good 6 weeks left. Of course, those with DTV can chime in with better specifics. Last year, DTV had finished airing all of FNL by the end of December for a January NBC premier.
There is 5 more episodes left on DTV.

Yes it started about 27 days late this season. Last year FNL started October 1st, but finished on DTV January 14th. It launched on NBC 2 days later.

The season finale on DTV is going to be February 10th, so I don't see why they can't bring it back after the Winter Olympics.
Old 01-08-10, 01:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well, they said that none of these changes would take effect until after the Winter Olympics which would be the beginning of March. Then you roughly 60 hours to fill until May sweeps. I heard nothing about FNL having to wait until June. I believe that was a network decision because they thought the ratings wouldn't be good enough during the regular season. They were under the same deal with DTV last season but brought it back midseason.
They struck a new deal for 2 additional, 13 episode seasons. From what I read (and it's been a while) NBC agreed not to air these until June. Of course, that could have been wrong, I'm just going on memory from 4+ months ago.
Old 01-08-10, 03:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Late-Shift-Let...2984756&sr=8-2

Looks like we're due a few new chapters soon...
Old 01-08-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Silly Burrito
http://www.amazon.com/Late-Shift-Let...2984756&sr=8-2

Looks like we're due a few new chapters soon...
I on the other hand was thinking of this

Old 01-08-10, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777

I actually picked up the book at a B&N a loooong time ago. It's a very interesting read. Very worth picking up a copy or reading a library copy.
Old 01-08-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This Twitter update made me

If I were Conan O'Brien, I would have the Masturbating Bear as my only guest for an hour every night until NBC fired me.
Old 01-08-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777

Helen Kushnick must be spinning in her grave.
Old 01-08-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
This Twitter update made me
If I were Conan O'Brien, I would have the Masturbating Bear as my only guest for an hour every night until NBC fired me.
Yeah, I think that's about right.
Old 01-08-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Silly Burrito
I actually picked up the book at a B&N a loooong time ago. It's a very interesting read. Very worth picking up a copy or reading a library copy.
Not a bad movie either. I picked it up at Big Lots for 3 bucks.
Old 01-08-10, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Only you could come up with this.
Someone has to say it on DVDTALK.
Old 01-08-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Yeah, I think that's about right.
Oh, I think that would be letting them get off light. I'd pick an affiliate a night and ridicule them. I'd start actively promoting programming on the other networks. I'd do my best to irritate the IOC that NBC has to pull my taped shows.
Old 01-08-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This debacle will likely cost Jeff Zucker his job at NBC Universal.

It was an interesting experiment, but the fact its poor ratings are killing the NBC affiliate ratings for the 11 pm ET/PT / 10 pm CT/MT local late news broadcasts is all the more reason why NBC needs to massively rethink its entire prime time over-air broadcast lineup.
Old 01-08-10, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Fuck Leno, fuck NBC. Fallon is the best thing going on network late night, so as long as they don't fuck with his show, I'm OK.

Oh wait, were you serious?
Old 01-08-10, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Someone has to say it on DVDTALK.
No, they really don't.....
Old 01-08-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Dun dun dun!

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/a...eslot0108.html

LOS ANGELES - Fox, never one to miss an opportunity to make a competitor's life more difficult, has indicated that if Conan O'Brien wants to leave NBC, it would be happy to talk.

O'Brien, who is being asked to move "The Tonight Show" from 11:35 p.m. to 12:05 a.m. to make room for Jay Leno's return to late night, has not made up his mind on whether he'll take one for the team or take a walk. Leno's moving back to late night because NBC affiliates are beyond frustrated with his 10 p.m. show and what its ratings are doing to their late local news.

Of course, Fox has toyed with late night before (Chevy Chase, anyone?), and quietly telling inquiring reporters that "Conan would be a great fit for Fox" could be just as much about annoying NBC chiefs Jeff Zucker and Jeff Gaspin as about trying to start its own late-night franchise.

Fox couldn't just jump into the late-night game. It would have to ask, and in some cases beg, its affiliates for the time to carry a late show. The stations won't hand over that time just out of the goodness of their hearts. Furthermore, Fox is already asking (or is it demanding?) that its affiliates give it a cut of any money they get from cable operators for carrying their signals. The logic is that because Fox provides the affiliates with programming, it should get a cut of any money distributors pay them to carry the signal.

While Fox is spinning one thing, it is unclear whether the brass at its parent company News Corp. are really that interested in getting into this game. It's true the network made a run at Conan six years ago (a move that led NBC to anoint Conan as Jay Leno's eventual successor, which led NBC to put Leno in prime time, which led to the mess NBC currently finds itself in), but the company may have different priorities now.

If Fox does seriously go after O'Brien, it won't be cheap. Yes, NBC may have big penalties to pay O'Brien if he were to be bounced from "The Tonight Show." But right now NBC is only talking about bouncing O'Brien out of his time slot, not the show (so tricky!). NBC could even bench O'Brien for a couple of years if he does want to leave, although it would be more likely to try to extract big payment from whoever wants his services.
Old 01-08-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it typical for NBC local news to be on the CW at 10 PM ET? Wesh NBC2 Orlando has local news on the CW at that time. Seems odd.
Old 01-08-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, Conan's going to talk about this on tonight's show in some way (according to the twitterverse).
Old 01-08-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I missed the monologue, did he say anything?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.