Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So I've never seen Star Trek...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: So I've never seen Star Trek...

Well one can assume the Vulcans always knew and kept that information to themselves so as to not jeopardize their relations (still in the early stages) with Earth during the Earth-Romulan War. It's a shame that Enterprise never got to this point because it could have been quite interesting IMO.
Old 12-23-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I'm fine with the idea that Nero's appearance revealed this fact to the Federation, but I wonder what the 23rd Century Romulans did about this, if anything? It seems of some import.
There has been a suggestion that what has happened is something like this:

From the original series through First Contact is (more or less) one timeline. After Picard's crew followed the Borg back in time, a somewhat new timeline emerged. Enterprise takes place in this sort of 1.1 timeline. Now, what's odd is that Nero and Spock traveled, apparently, from the 1.0 timeline backwards and sparked a 2.0 timeline. The 1.1 timeline in which Enterprise existed is still part of that 2.0 continuity.

Ergo, it is entirely plausible that the familiarity with Romulans was an outgrowth of the events between Enterprise and Star Trek. Geez, I feel like such a geek right now....
Old 12-23-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

The familiarity with the Romulans came from the Kelvin's contact with Nero and his gang. Even though that was limited contact, they still gained the knowledge that they were Vulcanoids and then probably also pushed their intelligence gathering of the Romulans into overdrive thus gaining more info on them, including language. In our regular timeline, after the Romulan wars, there wasn't much contact.

And the episodes of ENT that used the Romulans showed the viewer their appearance, but nobody in the show knew what they looked like. I could see it being done on weekly basis very easily, just make sure no Romulan craft is ever taken intact.

And if you want to go into the novels, one of the ENT novels reveals the knowledge that they look like Vulcans, but only to a select few, and they agree to keep it quiet so as not to bruise the already fragile relationship with the Vulcans. I can even see someone in Section 31 over they years scrubbing that info for what reason so that info doesn't make it to Kirk-Prime's time.
Old 12-23-09, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been watching some TNG reruns lately and have a question.

Spoiler:
I believe this is in season 2. What explanation did they give in the show for the absence of Dr. Crusher? I can't stand the replacement dr. In the few episodes I've seen Wesley is still around but there's been no mention of his mother.
Old 12-23-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Super J
I've been watching some TNG reruns lately and have a question.

Spoiler:
I believe this is in season 2. What explanation did they give in the show for the absence of Dr. Crusher? I can't stand the replacement dr. In the few episodes I've seen Wesley is still around but there's been no mention of his mother.
Instead of relying on my fuzzy memory, I'll use Memory Alpha instead. Here's their write-up:

Spoiler:

"Crusher was offered a position as head of Starfleet Medical in 2365 and left the Enterprise during that year. She was replaced by Dr. Katherine Pulaski. (TNG: "The Child") While at Starfleet Medical, she worked with the notorious Lieutenant Commander Calvin Hutchinson. (TNG: "Starship Mine") Crusher found it difficult to be away, however, and decided to return to the ship the following year. (TNG: "Evolution")."
Old 12-23-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
But they would be hostages of The Canon, and they could never interact with --or even see! the Romulans.
Oooh the battles waged over Canon on the trek boards on the net was just intense. I was like, really?
Old 12-23-09, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Instead of relying on my fuzzy memory, I'll use Memory Alpha instead. Here's their write-up:

Spoiler:

"Crusher was offered a position as head of Starfleet Medical in 2365 and left the Enterprise during that year. She was replaced by Dr. Katherine Pulaski. (TNG: "The Child") While at Starfleet Medical, she worked with the notorious Lieutenant Commander Calvin Hutchinson. (TNG: "Starship Mine") Crusher found it difficult to be away, however, and decided to return to the ship the following year. (TNG: "Evolution")."
Spoiler:
And then on her last day aboard the Enterprise, after Dr Crusher came back, Dr Pulaski stepped into a malfunctioning turbolift and fell down an open shaft to her death.
Old 12-23-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Depicting that war, though, could've been pretty cool anyway. Just show scenes on the starfleet ships and scenes on the Romulan ships separately with no ship-to-ship communications.
I think you are over-estimating how interesting a bunch of space battles would be. Remember this is Star Trek, not the new BSG.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think that "Balance of Terror" used the conceit of nobody knowing what a Romulan looked as a McGuffin to examine the crew's reaction to Spock. Seems kind of dodgy that nobody would know what a Romulan looked like despite being at war with them.

Not sure if this was by design that the Romulans didn't want to be seen, or just because of the nature of the conflict and treaty. (I haven't seen most of the Enterprise episodes, so I don't know if they dealt with this or not.)
That was the thing about TOS and the establishment of The Canon.

When they made "Balance of Terror", they threw in that stuff about how no human had ever seen a Romulan --despite the fact that the two species had fought a war, so they could have that reveal, and that one crewman could get suspicious of Spock.
All throughout TOS, they threw in bits of historical and biographical information that served whatever episode they were making that week, and the later Trek shows (felt they) had to adhere to that stuff.
I'm sure they would have loved to have gotten the Romulans involved regularly on ENT, but they weren't going to be able to do that without Archer eventually coming face to face with one.

Another example of this is when Picard made a reference to the disasterous consequences of humans first contact with Klingons.
Then when ENT premiered, a lot of Trek fans were eager to see this played out. And all we got was that humans misunderstood Klingon culture and that Klingons were total assholes. Big deal.
Old 12-23-09, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Well one can assume the Vulcans always knew and kept that information to themselves so as to not jeopardize their relations (still in the early stages) with Earth during the Earth-Romulan War. It's a shame that Enterprise never got to this point because it could have been quite interesting IMO.
They established on ENT that a few Vulcans did know about their connection to the Romulans, but that information was in the hands of nefarious Vulcans that Archer helped get removed from power.

ENT further explains that Vulcan pulled back from their involvement with humans, and from exploring space in general, to focus their culture on its heritige and logic.
This sets the table for why over a century later, Spock serving in Star Fleet would be so unusual, and why humans would have so little knowledge of Vulcan culture.
Old 12-23-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw

From the original series through First Contact is (more or less) one timeline. After Picard's crew followed the Borg back in time, a somewhat new timeline emerged. Enterprise takes place in this sort of 1.1 timeline. Now, what's odd is that Nero and Spock traveled, apparently, from the 1.0 timeline backwards and sparked a 2.0 timeline. The 1.1 timeline in which Enterprise existed is still part of that 2.0 continuity.

Ergo, it is entirely plausible that the familiarity with Romulans was an outgrowth of the events between Enterprise and Star Trek. Geez, I feel like such a geek right now....
You're over-thinking it. This explanation is simple and logical enough:

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The familiarity with the Romulans came from the Kelvin's contact with Nero and his gang. Even though that was limited contact, they still gained the knowledge that they were Vulcanoids and then probably also pushed their intelligence gathering of the Romulans into overdrive thus gaining more info on them, including language.
Old 12-23-09, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Oooh the battles waged over Canon on the trek boards on the net was just intense. I was like, really?
One of the things I loved so much about the new movie was that right from the outset they took one of the fundamental tenets of The Canon and blew it up, thus indicating that in this new time line anything was possible.
Old 12-24-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,272 Likes on 730 Posts

So here's my ranking of ST .. For what it's worth:

Star Trek - Original Series: I put this first for originality and for the baseline it laid for all the rest of the shows. Just remember this was filmed in the 60's with a relatively low budget (even Lucille Ball didn't know what it was she was paying for). Some episodes are real stinkers but they did the best they could with what they had and they did an amazing job. "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "City on the Edge of Forever" are great episodes.

Star Trek - Deep Space 9: As others have said it takes a while to get into this one but once you do this series is just fantastic. Really good episodes like "Trials and Tribbleations" and "Duet" made it stand out. For me this was more about the characters than necessarily "Star Trek" - but it worked.

Star Trek - The Next Generation: If you throw the first season out the window this is a great series. The characters worked nicely together and there were some really strong episodes produced. "Darmok" and "The Inner Light" are probably the top 2 best episodes ever produced in trek and both for completely different reasons.. but they belong to TNG.

Star Trek - Voyager : This series took a while to get going but once it did it became pretty watchable. I agree with what some others have said that it didn't really start working until 7 of 9 came onto the show but once she did it added an interesting new dimension and saved what otherwise was a pretty lackluster series.

Star Trek - Enterprise: While my wife absolutely loved this series it never really worked for me. As a convention going, trivia answering, die-hard Trekkie I couldn't handle the sudden creation of Captain Archer, the Xindi, and an Enterprise that looked way more advanced than anything else that was to come along within the next 200 years. To me it just never really worked and the season long story arc with the Xindi just wasn't very good at all. It had some good character development but never got to warp speed.

Last edited by General Zod; 12-24-09 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-24-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
One of the things I loved so much about the new movie was that right from the outset they took one of the fundamental tenets of The Canon and blew it up, thus indicating that in this new time line anything was possible.
Indeed. I hope they continue to shock us in the subsequent movies.

I think I'd also like to see a TV series set in the new timeline, but I doubt that's at all likely.
Old 12-26-09, 05:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, so here's my history with Star Trek:

When I was a kid, I was a huge Star Wars fan, but also a sci-fi fan in general. My dad showed me some TOS episodes, but I found them too cheesy to be taken seriously. My mother, on the other hand, started watching TNG and would let me stay up late to watch them with her. These I loved, and I can still remember having to wait to see what would happen after The Borg made Picard into Locutus. When DS9 premiered, I tried to watch it but couldn't get into it. Same with Voyager. Enterprise I didn't even check out until after it had been canceled and reruns were appearing on HDNet.

As I got older, I read more and more hard sci-fi, and started to see the shortcomings of the Star Wars films. The disappointing special editions and prequels didn't help on that score. But I found I was becoming more and more fond of Star Trek, especially the TOS films. So I picked up a cheap used copy of TOS season 1 on HD DVD and was surprised at how solid, sometimes even great, the episodes were. After seeing Star Trek (2009), and participating in the Star Trek Reverse Sheep games, I decided to catch up on TNG and DS9. Since the sets are still prohibitively expensive, I put both series in my Netflix queue and have been going through them three discs at a time, with the TNG movies mixed in. And I've been having a blast.

Of the series, I do think TNG is the best. The crew was so multi-faceted and interesting, and seasons 3-5 are just amazing television. Yes, it had its share of clunkers, but those were rarely outright bad, simply nothing special. And, of all the captains, I think Picard is the most interesting. A single storyline never went beyond two-parters, but given that the ship could travel the galaxy, it made sense. And of all the ships, I love the Enterprise-D design the best.

After that, TOS is a really fantastic series that holds plenty of surprises and treats, as long as you're willing to accept the 60's style and effects. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are the backbone of the entire Star Trek phenomenon, so TOS has plenty to enjoy.

When I originally watched Deep Space Nine, I was disappointed. It seemed slow and the characters weren't nearly as engaging as on Next Generation (despite Chief O'Brien getting more screentime). Watching it again, I'm sad I didn't stick with it for more than one season. Season one is quite like a weak season of TNG, except the station is stuck in one spot, so there wasn't even any space traveling to liven things up. And Sisko seems utterly uncharismatic. But, watching it further, the show really blossoms, and goes places no other Star Trek series ever did. The new Battlestar Galactica wouldn't exist if it weren't for this series. Plus DS9 has the best group of character actors as the guest/recurring characters.

It's amazing how quickly Star Trek went from great to crap. Voyager was a pathetic excuse for a Star Trek show, with unmemorable characters and poor scripts. Of course, that's nothing compared to the utter embarrassment that was Enterprise. From the cringe-inducing opening titles through to the poor attempts at re-writing Trek history while still staying true to canon, Enterprise was an utter failure from start to finish.

If you're willing to look past the 60's aesthetics of TOS, I'd say start there. If not, then give TNG and DS9 a shot.

Last edited by Supermallet; 12-26-09 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-27-09, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
Now, I did see the recent movie that came out in theaters, and I really liked it. There is obviously a mythology in this universe, and I believe it might be something I want to delve into. Is this a good idea? Was the original show any good? How about following variations of the Star Trek tv show?

For a frame of reference to what I dig when it comes to Sci-fi...I HATE Star Wars, it's just a lot of boring to me, however, I LOVED Battlestar Galactica Re-imagined. Firefly was actually quite good as well, shame it never got the chance to flesh out more.
Since you're a big BSG fan, I'd recommend DS9 like so many others have already said. BSG is the spiritual successor to DS9 in some ways as the two shows share a lot of behind the scenes crew, notably Ronald D. Moore. Both shows are also similar in their use of long story arcs involving war, secular/religious conflicts, and overall dark tone. While DS9 never gets as dark as BSG got (this is Star Trek after all), it goes to places that no other Trek series or movie would dare travel.

I would say that the first season and a half of DS9 is a bit slower-paced but once they start The Dominion storyline, it's full thrusters ahead. The thing though is that it's crucial to watch the complete series to really understand the overall story arc. A throwaway reference in a 2nd-season episode could have major ramifications four seasons later or a minor character in the pilot episode could become a core member of the cast later on. The characters on DS9 are by far the most well-developed of the various Trek series. Take Voyager, for example. Ensign Harry Kim, a main cast member, doesn't really change at all over the course of seven years which is preposterous considering all the crap his ship went through. Meanwhile, a recurring (RECURRING!) character on DS9 like Garak shows seemingly infinite shades of grey in his arc over seven seasons.

And for pure eye candy, none of the TV series (even VOY or ENT which aired after DS9) can match the sight of the HUGE fleet battles shown during the latter seasons. I'm talking hundreds of ships, weapons blazing, with our heroes right there in the thick of it fighting it out for the survival of the Federation.

Last edited by Defiant1; 12-27-09 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I agree it is not that bad. My biggest problem with the show was how inconsistent it was. For every good episode there was a clunker. You never knew what you were going to get. That said, I do own the DVDs so I can revisit the episodes I truly loved. There were some definite great moments.
I have some of "Voyager" too, and I think that you described the way I've been with the DVD releases (I have 1, 3, and 4, but not 2, for obvious reasons). I haven't been going in order on them, because, as you said, it's best to look at the episodes you really enjoyed first. "Voyager" did have quite a few that I have enjoyed so far, including a few that, IIRC, were panned quite a bit-- "Macrocosm" and "Fair Trade" from season 3, and "Learning Curve" from season 1.

Last edited by bmasters1981; 01-20-10 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw

I've thought about the alternate timeline thing of the new movie a few times lately since re-watching the movie a few times and I actually think the 2.0 split happened prior to Nero's appearance. I hadn't thought about the 1.1 thing you mentioned so maybe my thought about the divergence happening prior to Nero can be based on that.
Your 1.1 idea is sound due to the appearance of
Spoiler:
Borg in Enterprise that were from a chunk of the sphere or something that fell from orbit in First Contact
The reason I think the timeline diverged prior to Nero is the Kelvin. It has twice the crew of the 1.0 NCC1701 which would seem to indicate it is bigger than the NCC1701, and although I don't think there is any canon reference one way or another I think it is generally assumed the Constitution class was the biggest starfleet class to date in the 1.0 timeline. Memory Alpha also has a reference that puts the length of the Kelvin at much more than the Constitution class
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Kelvin
Concept art from the 3rd disc of the Blu Ray release indicates that the Kelvin is 1500 feet long.
Add in the Kelvin having the much different looking engine special effects and I argue that they were already in an alternate timeline prior to Nero popping out of the "lightning storm in space"