TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men - "The Grown-Ups" - 11/01/09

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Mad Men - "The Grown-Ups" - 11/01/09

Originally Posted by conscience
Thankfully we got some action with Pete. I may be one of the few to think this, but he is probably the most interesting character on the show and I was waiting for something to happen over the past few episodes with him.
Did you catch the .22 leaned up against the wall in his office? Nice to see it is still around.
Old 11-03-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thankfully we got some action with Pete. I may be one of the few to think this, but he is probably the most interesting character on the show and I was waiting for something to happen over the past few episodes with him.
I'm also a Pete fan. I really prefer the Sterling Cooper plotlines to the Don and Betty drama. Betty confronting Don last week was great, but I'm ready for them to just get a divorce already.
Old 11-03-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I'm also a Pete fan. I really prefer the Sterling Cooper plotlines to the Don and Betty drama. Betty confronting Don last week was great, but I'm ready for them to just get a divorce already.
Yup. My favorite scenes from the first two seasons are the pitch scenes and scenes in the conference room. We've hardly had any at all this season - big ones at least other than Hilton. I can't even remember any others if they happened.
Old 11-03-09, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Hopefully they'll get a divorce, then there will be some manner of salary/contract dispute with January Jones and her and all of her plotlines get excised.
Old 11-03-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yup. My favorite scenes from the first two seasons are the pitch scenes and scenes in the conference room. We've hardly had any at all this season - big ones at least other than Hilton. I can't even remember any others if they happened.
Don't forget jai alai. The sport of the future! We also had the Lucky Strike fiasco.
Old 11-03-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks
Don't forget jai alai. The sport of the future!

I've been to jai alai matches in S.Florida. Pretty cool. And I won some money on it.
Old 11-03-09, 03:23 PM

My favorite scene from the 1st two seasons took place in a hospital.
Old 11-03-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cleaver
My favorite scene from the 1st two seasons took place in a hospital.
That was a damn good scene.
Old 11-03-09, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I found it humorous that Peggy's hairspray storyboards looked like the Zapruder film (not that anyone will really see that for a few years). Thinking back to the original pitch it now reminds of the scene from the movie JFK.
Old 11-03-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

Great episode.
Yes

I have to ask, was JFK dying really, that big of a deal to everyone?
Unlike most of you, I lived through it (I was 16). It was indescribably huge. Four days I will never forget.
Old 11-03-09, 10:04 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I found it humorous that Peggy's hairspray storyboards looked like the Zapruder film (not that anyone will really see that for a few years). Thinking back to the original pitch it now reminds of the scene from the movie JFK.
Good one - I didn't even catch that. She'll have to redo the whole campaign and they were supposed to start filming it in a week.
Old 11-03-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Much like the post wedding episode of The Office, this episode was rather ho-hum after last week's fantastic episode.

Obviously, Matthew Wiener changed his mind since the end of Season 2 when he said that the show wouldn't really deal with the Kennedy assassination, but there is only so much one can do with one of the biggest events in American history.

Although Cronkite announcing the news is the most lasting image, I found it interesting that the secretaries changed Harry's TV to NBC with Brinkley and Hume who were more popular at the time. I knew the show was dealing with the assassination when I saw the Breaking News graphic on the TV when Harry and Pete were talking.

Interesting line for Pete Campbell "Just when things were going to change." You have no idea how much it is about to change. The seismic cultural shift has just begun and it'll be interesting to see which sides all of the characters end up on.

Betty telling Don that the marriage is over didn't surprise me and I wonder where they'll go from here.

Couldn't the church have cleared out the non guests for an hour or so for Margaret's wedding?
Old 11-03-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I misunderstood, but wasn't that the point of the scene? I thought she told Don she needed to re-work the campaign now (because of the JFK assassination in an open car.)
Old 11-03-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Couldn't the church have cleared out the non guests for an hour or so for Margaret's wedding?
They dont do that
Old 11-03-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Maybe I misunderstood, but wasn't that the point of the scene? I thought she told Don she needed to re-work the campaign now (because of the JFK assassination in an open car.)
Yes, but Don said it wouldn't need to be. My point was how closely it did look like the Zapruder film which actually wouldn't be released to the public for several more years.
Old 11-03-09, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unlike most of you, I lived through it (I was 16). It was indescribably huge. Four days I will never forget.
I wasn't born until the early 70s, but everyone around my age grew up knowing that the country did stop for those few days and it makes sense that the show's characters would be just as shocked and confused.

The show goes out of its way to be that era even if subtle, it only makes sense that we get to see this major moment unfold in one episode.
Old 11-04-09, 09:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The grass is always greener, Betty. The grass is always greener.

Yeah, I was quite surprised at how heavily they incorporated it into the show. Well done though.

at Duck unplugging the tv so he could get some action first.
Classic, it's good to see that Duck has his priorities straight!
Old 11-04-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
They dont do that
Why not? If the wedding party booked the church, doesn't that mean that no one else is allowed inside while the ceremony takes place? I know it was extenuating circumstances, but I find it odd that a church wouldn't kick out non-guests during the ceremony.
Old 11-04-09, 12:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Why not? If the wedding party booked the church, doesn't that mean that no one else is allowed inside while the ceremony takes place? I know it was extenuating circumstances, but I find it odd that a church wouldn't kick out non-guests during the ceremony.

I've been to many a wedding where folks just hang in the back and enjoy the mass, or the celebration. Unless the Church is Tiny, they are rarely asked to leave.

From my understanding and my days as an Altar Boy , the Wedding Party essentially booked the Priest, the church is still open for silent respectful prayer.
Old 11-04-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I've been to many a wedding where folks just hang in the back and enjoy the mass, or the celebration. Unless the Church is Tiny, they are rarely asked to leave.

From my understanding and my days as an Altar Boy , the Wedding Party essentially booked the Priest, the church is still open for silent respectful prayer.
I never knew that. A lot of good 13 years of Catholic school did.

I'm glad that the writers didn't have Betty and Carla say anything to each other when they found out about Kennedy. After Betty's comment a couple of weeks ago about civil rights, I expected the issue to come up again.
Old 11-04-09, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did I miss something, the blurb about the episode led with Don "meeting with an impressive candidate" but did we ever see that? I know we saw he and the British guy discuss it, but did we see him meet with them? was that really a detail that the episode description needed to lead with?
Old 11-04-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
did I miss something, the blurb about the episode led with Don "meeting with an impressive candidate" but did we ever see that? I know we saw he and the British guy discuss it, but did we see him meet with them? was that really a detail that the episode description needed to lead with?
Seemed odd to me since it was part of the description. We never saw him go to Cooper about it either. Made it a head-scratcher.
Old 11-04-09, 06:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

generally yeah churches would be open to people
Old 11-04-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I don't think any of the points actually happened in this episode. I don't remember Peggy second guessing her taste in men, and Pete didn't actually make any career decisions - he was only thinking of his situation and what he could do, he didn't do anything yet.

This sounds more like a description of the final episode.
Old 11-05-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Yes, but Don said it wouldn't need to be. My point was how closely it did look like the Zapruder film which actually wouldn't be released to the public for several more years.
It was obviously intentional that it looked like the Zapruder film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.