Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Glee -- "Throwdown" -- 10/14/09

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
To cause dissent among the Glee Club members, Sue forces the students to compete against each other, but the real showdown happens when she and Will get called into the principal's office. Meanwhile, the Glee kids rally to support Quinn after some shocking news is revealed.
Old 10-14-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Glee -- "Throwdown" -- 10/14/09

When Quinn said the minorities felt they weren't being heard, did Sue really say "a chink in the armor"?
Old 10-14-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sue
Old 10-14-09, 08:46 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Emmy nom for Jane Lynch please.
Old 10-14-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This episode did a great job of balancing the story and the singing.

Sue is so unbelievably funny. I really like Quinn's character; they've done a great job of making her interesting and likeable, avoiding the snobby cheerleader stereotype. Will's wife's fake pregnancy storyline is so messed up. What they did to the doctor and tricking Will into believing he saw his daughter is sick.

Last edited by kstublen; 10-14-09 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-14-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An entire smorgasbord of emotions with this episode, right up to the final number which demonstrated through song that Quinn has the complete support of her friends in the Glee Club, including Rachel. I was a little choked up myself. Very well done.

Up to now, Sue was just as much a "cartoon character" (as someone else put it) as anyone else in the cast, but tonight she really showed how completely evil she is. How in the hell has she remained an educator for this long?!? She makes racist, derogatory, threatening comments toward the other staff members and children alike, and blackmails the principal! And by the way, I'm glad the video is no longer being held over his head. I didn't think that would last very long. Sue may have her "funny" moments in other episodes, previous and in the future, but in this one, she was just pure hate...and hell yeah she deserves and Emmy nod!

Kind of weird to see an episode completely devoid of Emma, but with these stories, it's easy to see how certain characters might not be needed from time to time.
Old 10-14-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am afraid they are taking Sue just a bit too dark. I would rather see why she is like this instead of spouting off ugly comments to everyone. I think there has to be some redeeming quality to her of she is just a caricature.
Old 10-14-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen
Will's wife's fake pregnancy storyline is so messed up. What they did to the doctor and tricking Will into believing he saw his daughter is sick.
I'm not sure how much longer this can go on with Terri. I actually felt a little sorry for her there at the end. You can tell she just doesn't want to lose Will, and I think she really does love him, she doesn't know how to get herself out of this mess. Her sister definitely isn't helping.
Old 10-14-09, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I'm not sure how much longer this can go on with Terri. I actually felt a little sorry for her there at the end. You can tell she just doesn't want to lose Will, and I think she really does love him, she doesn't know how to get herself out of this mess. Her sister definitely isn't helping.
Yeah, it isn't even me hating her for it anymore. It's just turned into something really sad and desperate. She loves Will, but doesn't really know how to care about anyone other than herself. It's interesting, but I hope it resolves before the back 9. What I do hate though is that she is taking advantage of Quinn's situation.
Old 10-14-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I couldn't believe Quinn got a solo, and she didn't disappoint in terms of performance and acting out her situation.

Loved "No Air", even with the vocal embellishments.

The battle between Shu and Sue was good ol' fashion conflict fun, the barbs were entertaining and sharp.

Terri, OTOH, is going to crush Will when the truth comes out.
Old 10-14-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

So it occurred to me, tonight, that the kids are all highschoolers, some of them juniors and seniors. Can we expect a revolving cast of kids?
Old 10-14-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sue was really dark and funny in tonight's episode. Jane Lynch's acting was really good. I do wonder if Puck will ever find about Quinn and Terri's plan.
Old 10-14-09, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by shaun3000
So it occurred to me, tonight, that the kids are all highschoolers, some of them juniors and seniors. Can we expect a revolving cast of kids?
I have been wondering if there will be a revolving cast too. I think it was mentioned in one episode that Kurt was a sophomore. I think if Glee lasts a few years they might make cast changes after a couple of years and introduce new teen characters. Friday Night Lights has phased out a few teen characters.
Old 10-14-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
Terri, OTOH, is going to crush Will when the truth comes out.
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that at all.

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Honestly, I don't know how far they're going to take this show. I mean, they're going to sectionals, then I believe it's regionals and then state. After that, what's left? By the time they get to state, surely a lot of these stories will have panned out. I'm envisioning one season for each level they go to compete.

Originally Posted by writer106
I have been wondering if there will be a revolving cast too. I think it was mentioned in one episode that Kurt was a sophomore.
Rachel is a sophomore, too.

Originally Posted by writer106
I do wonder if Puck will ever find about Quinn and Terri's plan.
Or for that matter, when will the secret about Puck being the father come out?

By the way, what was the general concensus on hearing a live song for once, instead of the studio/overdub thing some people seem to dislike?
Old 10-14-09, 11:06 PM
Banned

This episode was a masterpiece. Sue was on fire. So many great lines. "Asian. Other Asian." Quinn looked angelic at the end with her hair down. Great ending with the music stopping and hearing her breathing. Her version of "You Keep Me Hanging On" was also excellent and masterfully edited.
Old 10-14-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Outstanding. I really have nothing more to say about it.
Old 10-14-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Good music, great lines, cool characters, and Cheerios...
Old 10-15-09, 01:22 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

"It's sad enough my Sue's Kids are living in squalor and probably on food stamps"

"My dad's a dentist"

Loved the Cheerios performance and the scene where Sue finds out almost the whole squad is ineligible.
Old 10-15-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by cracksky
This episode was a masterpiece. Sue was on fire. So many great lines. "Asian. Other Asian." Quinn looked angelic at the end with her hair down. Great ending with the music stopping and hearing her breathing. Her version of "You Keep Me Hanging On" was also excellent and masterfully edited.

..."your sad devotion to that dying language"

I loved the bit about the Dishwasher/Gardener.

I'm Mexican and she had me rolling.....
Old 10-15-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Loved the Cheerios performance and the scene where Sue finds out almost the whole squad is ineligible.
"Sue! For every multiple choice question on the quiz, she answered with a little sombrero!"

Honestly, I don't know how far they're going to take this show. I mean, they're going to sectionals, then I believe it's regionals and then state. After that, what's left? By the time they get to state, surely a lot of these stories will have panned out. I'm envisioning one season for each level they go to compete.
Well the first half of the season is being released on DVD in December as "Glee, Vol. One: Road to Sectionals". So you may well be correct.

By the way, what was the general concensus on hearing a live song for once, instead of the studio/overdub thing some people seem to dislike?
Which are you talking about? I personally felt a little violated by the show's conceit when Quinn sang her number throughout the school a la a music video while pretty much every other song has been in the context of a "performance" by a character. Maybe I'm mistaken about the context of Quinn's Diana Ross solo.
Old 10-15-09, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rfduncan

Which are you talking about? .
I'd assume he's probably talking about when they were all singing "Must Be The Money".
Old 10-15-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"I like minorities so much I am thinking of moving to California so I can become one."

Old 10-15-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Look at me, even in the heat of battle, I am so elegant, regal. I am Ajax, mighty Greek warrior.
Old 10-15-09, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
"It's sad enough my Sue's Kids are living in squalor and probably on food stamps"

"My dad's a dentist"

I loved those lines.
Old 10-15-09, 02:20 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

It got a good reaction from my wife and I, especially in the context of why they were all together.

Great episode. Probably my favourite one (not including the Pilot).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.