Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Gear - Series 14 (UK - November 15; US -TBD)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Top Gear - Series 14 (UK - November 15; US -TBD)

Old 12-09-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Top Gear - Series 14 (UK - November 15; US -TBD)

I loved the big reveal of the Delta Integrale. As BDB said, one of my dream cars. Along with an '88 Countach and a Ruf CTR 2.

The airport bit last Sunday was hilarious.
Old 12-10-09, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the homosexual couples bit was quite funny. Then I read that Top Gear ticket policy is that an equal number of men and women need to be in the audience, so they are strict on 1 man + 1 woman per pair of tickets. Basically, a couple of gay guys have to bring a couple of lesbians along in order to attend.

Remember, no new episode this coming Sunday.
Old 12-10-09, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder when the implemented the 50/50 M/F split rule. For the longest time it was quite obvious that they would pick out and position attractive women to get on camera while the rest of the crowd was a sausage-fest.
Old 12-14-09, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
I wonder when the implemented the 50/50 M/F split rule. For the longest time it was quite obvious that they would pick out and position attractive women to get on camera while the rest of the crowd was a sausage-fest.
Yeah, pretty sure they still do that. However, I think the last few episodes have been lacking in that area. Although I swear there was this one blonde after the SIRP the other week that was mentally having her way with Richard.

I finally caught episode 4 and didn't really care for it that much. Both of the major segments were rehashes of previous gags. I did like how Jeremy railed on all of the SUVs. I think it would have been better had he called out the M division of BMW for turning into the AMG division of Merc.
Old 12-28-09, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone see the Bolivia Special yet?
Old 12-30-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very entertaining Bolivia special.

Jeremy - Land Rover
Hamster - Toyota Land Cruiser
Capt. Slow - Suzuki Samurai
1:16 runtime
Old 02-04-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They need to worry about real problems. Like it says, they make fun of all nations. They actually had a tank battle with a German trio of drivers making fun of WWII.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110204...20110204123415

BBC defends Mexico jokes on 'Top Gear'
Buzz up!4 votes ShareretweetEmailPrint AFP/File – British television presenters Richard Hammond (L) and Jeremy Clarkson (R) join Hong Kong's Marchy …
Play Video TV Video:ShowBiz Minute: Schneider, Super Bowl, Sheen AP Play Video TV Video:Matthew Perry Returns to TV in 'Mr. Sunshine' ABC News Play Video TV Video:'The Bachelor' is Breaking Hearts Again ABC News – 2 hrs 12 mins ago
LONDON (AFP) – The BBC apologised to the Mexican ambassador to London on Friday for remarks made about him on a top television show -- but defended its jokes about the country as being part of British humour.

Ambassador Eduardo Medina-Mora had written to the BBC earlier in the week about comments made by presenters of the motoring show "Top Gear" describing Mexicans as "lazy", "feckless" and "flatulent".

The BBC said in a statement that the executive producer of the show had "written to the Mexican Ambassador and apologised for the comments made about him during the show."

But it added: "On the broader issue of comments about Mexicans as people, the show has explained they were making comic use of a stereotype; a practice with which regular viewers of Top Gear will be familiar."

In the show, during a discussion about a sports car made by Mexican firm Mastretta, presenter Richard Hammond said vehicles reflected national characteristics.

"Mexican cars are just going to be lazy, feckless, flatulent, overweight, leaning against a fence asleep looking at a cactus with a blanket with a hole in the middle on as a coat," he said.

The presenters then described Mexican food as "sick with cheese on it".

Chief presenter Jeremy Clarkson later said "we won't get any complaints about this because the Mexican ambassador's going to be sitting there with a remote control like this" -- before slumping in his chair and snoring.

The BBC said hundreds of Mexicans had contacted its Spanish-language website BBC Mundo to complain.

Medina-Mora described the remarks as "outrageous, vulgar and inexcusable insults".

But the BBC said that while the comments may have been "rude" there was "no vindictiveness" behind them.

"We are sorry if we have offended some people, but jokes centred on national stereotyping are a part of Top Gear's humour, and indeed a robust part of our national humour," the statement said.

"Our own comedians make jokes about the British being terrible cooks and terrible romantics, and we in turn make jokes about the Italians being disorganised and over dramatic; the French being arrogant and the Germans being over organised."
Old 03-10-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not sure what series they're on now, but this was the most recent original Top Gear thread, so here you go:

Jeremy Clarkson suspended by BBC: Top Gear episode cancelled following 'fracas' with producer
The host had an argument with a producer
ADAM SHERWIN Author Biography MEDIA CORRESPONDENT Tuesday 10 March 2015

The BBC has suspended Jeremy Clarkson following allegations of a fracas with a Top Gear producer.

The BBC2 show will not be broadcast this Sunday while the BBC investigates the allegation.

Clarkson was already on a final warning from the BBC following a string of accusations of racism.

The BBC said: “Following a fracas with a BBC producer Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended pending an investigation. No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday. The BBC will be making no further comment at this time.”

Top Gear is a huge cash-cow for BBC Worldwide, the corporation’s commercial wing. It is the world’s most widely watched factual television programme according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

Last year Danny Cohen, the BBC's director of television, ordered a sweeping internal investigation into Top Gear over concerns about racism and offensive gaffes on the show.

The review of the show's culture and practices follows the presenter Jeremy Clarkson being given a final warning over his behaviour on the show.

It is understood that workers on the show have been asked if they think it is racist. The investigation has also explored whether a culture existed where people were afraid to speak out. Clarkson, the executive producer, Andy Wilman, and presenters James May and Richard Hammond are among the many interviewed, it is understood.

Top Gear bosses feared the BBC would axe the show after Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May fled Argentina amid threats from locals who believed a number plate they used was a joke about the country's defeat in the 1982 Falklands War.

The fall-out forced them to rein in their more outlandish ideas, which is being blamed for a drop in ratings.

Clarkson made more than £14million from Top Gear in 2012 after a BBC move to take full control of the hit series' production company. BBC Worldwide, the corporation's commercial arm, bought out the controlling stake in Bedder 6, a firm formed in partnership with Clarkson to exploit the show globally.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...=facebook-post

Kinda funny given the preceding post in this thread. Though I don't watch the show very often, the give and take between Clarkson and the other two *is* Top Gear to me. It wouldn't be the same show if he was replaced.
Old 03-10-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

A lot of this is cultural as well. On a global level I have to wonder how many of the refernces are understood by the audience. I'm versed in some British culture and news, but still find many of the allegations meaningless to me (not to say they aren't important).
Old 03-11-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Jeremy Clarkson 'punch': Top Gear episodes to be dropped
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31828184

James May: Clarkson 'dust-up' not that serious
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31834058

James May: I was blind drunk (warning: contains strong language)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qo85xMi8imY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-11-15, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad that we're losing the last 3 episodes of the series.

The thing that really sucks is that this "Final straw" sounds like a serious incident while a lot of the previous behavior that got him in trouble with BBC management was PC bullshit over jokes.

This may be the end of an era. So far the TG international spinoffs have shown that the BBC can't reproduce the show with different hosts. The US and Aussie versions were produced by the BBC using talent that worked on the original and all were lacking. The US version started as a clone but only survived by ditching most of the format and become full episode "challenge" segments.

All three hosts' contracts are scheduled to expire at the end of this series, so they could all go to another network. Thankfully the guy he allegedly hit was white, otherwise not only would he be in a lot more trouble at the BBC but, if the allegations are proven true, he would have a lot more difficulty getting picked up elsewhere.
Old 03-24-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Clarkson to be firing announced tomorrow according to this report: http://jalopnik.com/clarkson-reporte...0/+kevindraper
Old 03-24-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

be interesting to see where it goes from there. clarkson is a complete ass, but he also is the biggest cog in the machine that is that show. hamster & captain slow can't carry it alone, and even adding some new guy, it's going to be hard to get that chemistry going that those 3 had.
Old 03-24-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So Clarkson gets fired and then goes to Sky or Channel 4 for a ton of money. I'm sure Hammond and May will follow. There is the theory that this is was a setup for Clarkson to get out of his non compete clause.
Old 03-24-15, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dave99
be interesting to see where it goes from there. clarkson is a complete ass, but he also is the biggest cog in the machine that is that show. hamster & captain slow can't carry it alone, and even adding some new guy, it's going to be hard to get that chemistry going that those 3 had.
Hammond and May have categorically said they won't do the show without Jezzer.

Also doesn't Clarkson own a significant portion of Top Gear, making it impossible for the BBC to replace him?
Old 03-25-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Clarkson's gone. And no - he sold his Top Gear share a few years ago. Although I think he has a separate contract with BBC Worldwide for worldwide TV rights.

"The BBC announced on Wednesday that is has dropped Jeremy Clarkson’after the Top Gear presenter was involved in a physical assault on a producer that required hospital treatment, the BBC announced on Wednesday.

BBC director general Tony Hall isaid he took the decision to end Clarkson’s BBC career “with great regret”, 16 days after he was suspended following a “fracas” with a member of the Top Gear production team.

A BBC investigation led by BBC Scotland boss Ken MacQuarrie found that Clarkson engaged Oisin Tymon in a 30-second physical assault after a 20-minute verbal tirade. Tymon took himself to the accident and emergency department for treatment after the assault, MacQuarrie’s report found."

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...r-contract-bbc
Old 03-25-15, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I know of a US version that could use 3 new hosts.

Just saying.
Old 03-25-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
So Clarkson gets fired and then goes to Sky or Channel 4 for a ton of money. I'm sure Hammond and May will follow. There is the theory that this is was a setup for Clarkson to get out of his non compete clause.
Maybe Netflix? The show is 60 minutes long and has no commercials.
Old 03-25-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I know of a US version that could use 3 new hosts.

Just saying.
Old 03-25-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Match
Maybe Netflix? The show is 60 minutes long and has no commercials.
I could definitely see that with the steps Netflix has taken into producing their own shows.
Old 03-25-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N6cfFnBNELs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-25-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

It won't be TG without him, I am glad they took this stance. I have worked with people (doctors and offspring) that get away with this kind of crap and it's good to see them at least making an example.
Old 03-25-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

This is teh worst news evar.
Old 03-25-15, 01:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this has zero chance of happening, but I hope no one else hires Clarkson and he ends up losing a ton of money over this. What a piece of shit.
Old 03-25-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope the producer never works in television ever again. And his little dog too.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.