TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jay Leno - Shows, Projects, and News

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 11:05 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 'Jay Leno Show' Format Revealed

I'm sort of confused by this. It seems like they are whittling a lot down... the intro is shorter, there will be fewer guests... but the show is still an hour. What is going to fill that time? A longer monologue? Longer comedy segments? Will musical guests get to do multiple songs (as on SNL)? Or are they just going to spend more time with each guest?
Old 08-06-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm sort of confused by this. It seems like they are whittling a lot down... the intro is shorter, there will be fewer guests... but the show is still an hour. What is going to fill that time? A longer monologue? Longer comedy segments? Will musical guests get to do multiple songs (as on SNL)? Or are they just going to spend more time with each guest?
My guess would be more commercial time...
Old 08-06-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great article on the new show at ew.com. It is not going to be a talk show. From what I've read I don't like the new format.
Old 08-07-09, 06:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
My guess would be more commercial time...
Also, my first thought.
Old 08-07-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
So....it's the Tonight Show, just 90 minutes earlier.
And 80% more suck!
Old 08-07-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like the show will also have a bunch of comedian correspondents such as D.L. Hughley, Mikey Day, Rachael Harris, and Jim Norton.

Also it was announced that Jay-Z will perform with Rihanna and Kanye West on the opening show.
Old 08-07-09, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
More comedy. They have a love-hate relationship with musical guests on shows like these, which is why they almost always bury them at the end of the show on the late-night talk shows. Take Jay-Z, who is going to be a guest on the first show. Under the traditional late night format, there would probably be some group of people who would tune in just to see Jay-Z. But there would probably be a much larger group of people who wouldn't bother to sit through the last commercial break to see him because they don't really like his music. They would either flip over to Letterman or go to bed.

So on the new show, you bunch 2 or 3 of them up to maximize the number of fans who tune in for the musical guest. You throw it in the middle of the show, so that the people who want to see the comedy stick around through the musical guest. And you keep it to one segment, to minimize the chance of channel-flipping (although I'm not sure how much of an issue that will be, given that most of Leno's competition in the new slot is not conducive to flipping over midway through).
Old 08-07-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
So on the new show, you bunch 2 or 3 of them up to maximize the number of fans who tune in for the musical guest. You throw it in the middle of the show, so that the people who want to see the comedy stick around through the musical guest. And you keep it to one segment, to minimize the chance of channel-flipping (although I'm not sure how much of an issue that will be, given that most of Leno's competition in the new slot is not conducive to flipping over midway through).
I appreciate the finagling these networks do to try and make a show work, but DVRs completely negate this. Personally, I don't care if there are more commercials or musical acts. I'll just skip past them all to get to the segments I want, whether they're at the beginning or end of the show.

Here's that EW article that reveals more:
When Jay Leno takes over the 10 p.m. hour of NBC’s weeknight primetime schedule this fall, viewers will get a whole new Jay: More comedy. Correspondents doing bits. Celebrity guests racing cars instead of just yakking. Yes, even the host himself will be a different man — one who’s at least 10 pounds thinner, thanks to running 4 miles a day to “get into shape” for his new gig.

On Wednesday at the annual Television Critics Association press tour, Leno unveiled some particulars of his foray into primetime to reporters. “It’ll be more intense,” he promised. “There’ll be a lot more comedy in the show.” Among the specifics: The set is bigger and the desk is gone (though it could return for his beloved “headlines” segment). “It won’t be a talk show,” he said. “But it won’t be a variety show with wigs and hats.” NBC News anchor Brian Williams — who’s shown impressive comedic chops on Saturday Night Live and The Daily Show – has committed to doing an occasional segment such as “stories that weren’t good enough to make the Nightly News.” D.L. Hughley will report on politics, while Rachael Harris (The Hangover) and Mikey Day will also tape occasional segments as correspondents. “I’m hoping we can make some stars here,” Leno said.

The celebrities who come on the show to promote their latest projects could find themselves with a lot more than talking to do. In one significant change from The Tonight Show, Leno’s crews have built a race track right next to the new studio so celebs can participate in an occasional “Green Car Challenge” — racing against each other in environmentally friendly vehicles. “Even Tom Cruise called and asked, ‘Can I get in early and practice?’” Leno joked. (Answer: No, no one gets to practice in advance.)

The extravagance of such additions shows the network’s commitment to the arrangement; NBC exec VP Rick Ludwin said the Leno experiment will last at least a year, and “we hope many years beyond that.” He wouldn’t set a specific ratings benchmark by which its success will be judged, but stressed that the net is thrilled to have Leno on its side instead of competing against Conan O’Brien’s Tonight Show for another network.

Leno, for his part, swears that while the new challenge has reinvigorated him, it isn’t stressing him out. That’s mainly because he’s not worrying much about rescuing struggling NBC, even if it has fueled his entire career. “The network is on its own,” he said, when asked if he felt pressure to “save” NBC. “There are things I like about it, there are things I don’t. But much like a marriage, you work it out. If we go down in flames, we’ll be laughing on the way down.” So what’s his secret to remaining so calm launching this show, as opposed to when he nervously took over The Tonight Show in 1992? Says Leno: “I’m rich now.”
Old 08-07-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds interesting enough to me. I've always been a fan of Leno's humor so I'll likely DVR this to see if it's worth watching.
Old 08-07-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is Kevin Eubanks coming back?
Old 08-07-09, 01:05 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never been a huge fan of Leno's, but I like that he's trying some interesting things and playing with the format instead of being content to merely transplant the old show over as is. The Brian Williams idea has promise, and the race car thing adds a unique touch to the show.
Old 08-07-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by anomynous
I'm pretty sure I remember Jay saying everyone would be back.
Old 08-07-09, 01:43 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I appreciate the finagling these networks do to try and make a show work, but DVRs completely negate this. Personally, I don't care if there are more commercials or musical acts. I'll just skip past them all to get to the segments I want, whether they're at the beginning or end of the show.
Yeah, but I have a feeling that most of us who post here aren't the typical viewer (or, at least, aren't considered the typical viewer by NBC). Personally, all I ever do these days is check all the shows (Conan, Jimmy, other Jimmy, Dave, Craig, and Carson) to see if any of them have a musical guest I like or want to find out more about. If so, I'll DVR it and watch just the musical guest. If not, I'll skip it entirely. Occasionally, there will be a non-musical guest I'm interested in, but by and large, I don't care enough to watch the star of the day exchange witcisms with whichever host so they can show me a 30-second clip from a movie.
Old 08-07-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The celebrities who come on the show to promote their latest projects could find themselves with a lot more than talking to do. In one significant change from The Tonight Show, Leno’s crews have built a race track right next to the new studio so celebs can participate in an occasional “Green Car Challenge” — racing against each other in environmentally friendly vehicles.
What's funny or interesting about this?
Old 08-07-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
It's called ADVERTISING. I guarantee you some car company is paying for this kind of crap. Leno basically sold everything including his ass for advertisers to advertise on for this show.
Old 08-08-09, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Top Gear (british car show) had a segment where they had celebrities race an ordinary car around a track. Leno has some originality.
Old 08-08-09, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Isnt racing cars needlessly around a track, even in green cars, wasteful?
Old 08-08-09, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't see the point of this. Conan is probably pretty annoyed.
Old 08-08-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
I don't see the point of this. Conan is probably pretty annoyed.
I'll bet! The ratings against Letterman can't be cheering him up, either.
Old 08-08-09, 10:51 AM
Suspended

Its weird cause I actually watched Conan more on Late Night than the Tonight Show. I just kinda gave up on late night shows though. The Daily Show is the only one i watch consistently.
Old 08-08-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Oh course! We need somebody to laugh at EVERY SINGLE joke, even if it's not funny.
Old 08-11-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

When I saw "GI Joe" the other day they played a shockingly interesting long form promo for Jay's show with Fred Armisen (SNL) that was actually pretty good. It had "dark edge" to it and "edge" of any kind is something Jay NEVER had.
Old 08-19-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New 'Jay Leno Show' theater ad:

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?&width=486&height=412&flashID=myExperience&bgcolor=%23FFFFFF&playerID=30780834001&publisherID=769341148&isVid=true&autoStart=true&videoID=34442294001" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="486" height="412"></object>
Old 08-19-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Not bad. A lot better than his usual skits.
Old 08-19-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^
Yeah, looks like Jay's humor might be going a little darker in his new show. Love it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.