TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Inside the Actors Studio -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-01, 11:23 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inside the Actors Studio -- Series Discussion Thread

Does anybody watch this show?

It is so wonderful and informative (and as J. Lipton would say, "A Delight!")

The 100th guest marathon aired yesterday and it was great although I had seen most of them.

Loved Gene Hackman interview and I ESPECIALLY LOVED the James Lipton interview by himself (a la Will Ferrell)!

Any thoughts?
Old 10-15-01, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every couple of months this discussion pops up and people point out what an arrogant jackass Lipton is, but it doesn't take away from what a wonderful show he's created. He and Charlie Rose (whom many people also find arrogant and obnoxious) get the most insightful interviews on television. I only wish we could see the whole 4 hour set instead of the choppy 44 minutes that actually get televised.

I only saw the first 30 minutes of the special (on the TiVo though), and it was nice to revisit some of the guests that haven't aired in a while. It was a little masturbatory in the ego department for Lipton, but that's what you expect with him. The montage of all the foreign magazines with him on the cover was like an SNL skit gone awry.

But yeah, lots of people watch this show, and rightfully show. It's one of those "gems" that most people aren't taking advantage of. I've considered taping them all, but that would be too daunting a task, considering the 75 minute episodes and the almost complete random airing schedule.

das
Old 10-15-01, 11:42 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Great show. But I can only really watch it if I'm interested in the guest. The best one was with Christopher Walken ... I couldn't decide who was weirder, him or Jimbo.
Old 10-15-01, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Every couple of months this discussion pops up and people point out what an arrogant jackass Lipton is, but it doesn't take away from what a wonderful show he's created. He and Charlie Rose (whom many people also find arrogant and obnoxious) get the most insightful interviews on television.
I know what you mean. I know a guy that studied there and got his masters at the New School and he said that nobody really like Lipton. He called him pompous and pretentious. I still like the old fellow even if he is self serving and a huge brown nose.

As for Charlie Rose, he is my favorite interviewer period! I don't see how people call he arrogant and obnoxious but I guess I am bias in those regards. It is great when he gets a huge extrovert like Robin Williams, etc., and you finally see a serious side and you get to hear what is going on in that head of their; no showy pretenses.

I actually don't watch too much of it anymore because I have seen most everyone more than once. I really enjoy how the show is really doing the tv audience a favor by letting us watch it. It is set up first and foremost for the students so they can be enlighten, entertained, and leave learning a thing or two.

And what the hell; would anyone like to answer the Bernhard Pivot questionare?

What Is Your Favorite word:
What Is Your Least Favorite Word:
What Turns You On:
What Turns You Off:
What Sounds Do You Love:
What Sounds Do You Hate:
What Is Your Favorite Curse Word:
What Profession Others Than Yours Would You Like To Attempt:
What Profession Would You Not Like To Particapate In:
If Heaven Exists, What Would You Like To Hear God Say When You Arrive At The Pearly Gates:
Old 10-15-01, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From Entertainment Weekly: Interview with Lance Henrikson:

"You are a former student of the Actors Studio. Is there any chance you could send a Terminator after James Lipton?"

Lance: Lipton! Can you believe that guy? I've never seen so much adoration in my life... Talk about a brownnower.
Old 10-15-01, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by zooroaster
And what the hell; would anyone like to answer the Bernhard Pivot questionare?

What Is Your Favorite word:
What Is Your Least Favorite Word:
What Turns You On:
What Turns You Off:
What Sounds Do You Love:
What Sounds Do You Hate:
What Is Your Favorite Curse Word:
What Profession Others Than Yours Would You Like To Attempt:
What Profession Would You Not Like To Particapate In:
If Heaven Exists, What Would You Like To Hear God Say When You Arrive At The Pearly Gates:
Why not ...

Dude
Can't
A smile
Defiant Ignorance
Music (not noise)
Drilling
Pigf*cker
Performer
Gizz Mopper
"Go Irish!"

das
Old 10-15-01, 12:59 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
the show is a lot of fun, but I agree I wish I could see the whole thing not the edited version.

for example last night he talked with hackman about the royal tennebaums, and said that when they had gwyneth on she was talking about it, I saw the gwyneth show, but no mention of the tennenbaums.

The skit they did was a bit too forced, will ferrell is awesome at lipton, but interviewing himself was a bit much...

Great show, got a season pass on tivo for it, which means I watch all the eps/
Old 10-15-01, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's funny that the actors always seem to answer the survey very off-the-cuff, as if they are startled by the questions.

You would think since they are always the same questions they would have their answers rehearsed.

Was anyone else as touched a sI was when Gene Hackman teared up over his father leaving him? Heartbreaking.

I wish they talked more about "The Conversation"--my favorite movie from the 70's.
Old 10-15-01, 01:41 PM
Suspended

Was anyone else as touched a sI was when Gene Hackman teared up over his father leaving him? Heartbreaking.
Yep, that got me too. And that was right out of the gates like less than five min.'s.

He is one of those actor's that just about everyone loves and that is good in most of his stuff.
Old 10-15-01, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, Lipton is a self serving egomaniac a$$kiss, but when a guest I like is on Willem DaFoe, Chris Walken, etc, I watch and enjoy it. Ferrel did the best he could, though I suspect Lipton had a heavy hand in it, thus diluting the funny.

From the very first show, I filled out the questionaire-

What Is Your Favorite word: too many, unfair to choose one
What Is Your Least Favorite Word: algebra
What Turns You On: quiet, darkness
What Turns You Off: arrogance
What Sounds Do You Love: guitar feedback
What Sounds Do You Hate: laughing I cant identify the source of (like behind my back)
What Is Your Favorite Curse Word: damn, because you can get away with it in any kind of company.
What Profession Others Than Yours Would You Like To Attempt: surreal/abstract painter
What Profession Would You Not Like To Particapate In: soldier
If Heaven Exists, What Would You Like To Hear God Say When You Arrive At The Pearly Gates: (Chris Walken much to my amazement used mine!) "You were right."
Old 10-15-01, 03:41 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What Is Your Favorite Word?

-Cinema

What Is Your Least Favorite Word?

-Algebra

What Turns You On?

-Honest, deep and true understanding of one's own self

What Turns You Off?

-Willful ignorance

What Sound Do You Love?

-the ocean

What Sound Do You Hate?

-the uniquely shrill scream of babies

What Is Your Favorite Curse Word?

-f*ck (unimaginative, but unequalled in power and viciousness)

What Profession Other Than Yours Would You Like To Attempt?

-Film Director (since I have directed/edited/written/acted in, etc. some student films and am actively pursuing directing as my career goal, I already feel, in a sense, that I am a film director, so my alternate answer would be Astronaut)

What Profession Would You Not Like To Participate In?

-Police officer (though they are the protectors of social peace, and would be the first people I'd call on if I was being mugged/beaten/attacked etc., I do not trust them and they disquiet me on a very deep level)

If Heaven Exists, What Would You Like To Hear God Say When You Arrive At The Pearly Gates?

"All right, we'll let it slide this time..."

And for the record, the best episodes of INSIDE THE ACTOR'S STUDIO were those featuring Steven Spielberg (a two-hour event that honestly nearly moved me to tears more than once) and Harrison Ford (I just love how down-to-earth and unaffected this guy is). I'll have to keep an eye out on the Gene Hackman one since it has, thus far, eluded me...

P.S.--I would eat my right arm off to have the INSIDE THE ACTOR'S STUDIO theme song by Angelo Badalamenti on CD...it is the very definition of melancholy, but it is also achingly beautiful...

[EDITED TO ADD: I did not steal the Least Favorite Word from Slumbering Fist, but that ought to tell you something about the inherently evil nature of algebra, and most mathematics in general...]

Last edited by Filmmaker; 10-15-01 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-15-01, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Inside the Actors Studio

Does anybody watch this show?

It is so wonderful and informative (and as J. Lipton would say, "A Delight!")

The 100th guest marathon aired yesterday and it was great although I had seen most of them.

Loved Gene Hackman interview and I ESPECIALLY LOVED the James Lipton interview by himself (a la Will Ferrell)!

Any thoughts?
I've been looking for the one that Billy Joel did (the second only none actor to do this show). Anyone have it on tape?

V
Old 10-15-01, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Has anyone ever seen the guy off of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 do Lipton?

It's too funny .

Will Ferrell also does a great Lipton...in fact it's better than Lipton
Old 10-15-01, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are they going to reair the 100th episode special again soon? I was telling myself all weekend not to forget, and what happens? Why I forget, of course.
Old 10-15-01, 09:44 PM
Suspended

Are they going to reair the 100th episode special again soon? I was telling myself all weekend not to forget, and what happens? Why I forget, of course
Fear not! If you watch the show with any regular addition you know that they show them all over and over and over and over and over and ov...well you get the idea.
Old 10-15-01, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the show, though their efforts to cram a 90(?) minute program into a 50 minute timeslot is laughable. Some of my favorite episodes: Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford, Gene Hackman, Mary Stuart Masterson, Mike Myers, Mike Nichols. And I hope that people agree that the Robert de Niro one was the worst. I didn't know that such a brilliant actor would give such a half-assed attempt at an interview. I sincerely hope he was inebriated or intoxicated at the time - he didn't even remember where he was born!
Old 10-15-01, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fear not! If you watch the show with any regular addition you know that they show them all over and over and over and over and over and ov...well you get the idea.
Yes, but some of them (Billy Joel) have been put in the library for some reason (I heard that they could only air the BJ episode a certain number of times).
Old 10-16-01, 12:11 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I just finished watching the Anthony Hopkins one, and I really enjoyed it. It sure is interesting to see how some actors are good interviewees, people like Mike Myers, Nathan Lane, Robin Williams, as comedians are well able to keep the audience entertained.

And as RolloTomasso mentioned DeNiro was a crappy one, but hopkins was well into it, using the clarisse to full effect.

Nice episode.
Old 10-16-01, 12:59 AM
Suspended

And I hope that people agree that the Robert de Niro one was the worst. I didn't know that such a brilliant actor would give such a half-assed attempt at an interview. I sincerely hope he was inebriated or intoxicated at the time - he didn't even remember where he was born!
He is notorious for sub par interviews.

I heard he was giving Rolling Stones an interview once and for the first fifteen min.'s he kept his head down and spoke in mumurs and slurs. He was slated for an hour or two interview but then just walked out!

He is still one of my favorites, however.
Old 10-16-01, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

kevin spacey is the man! he was awsome on the show
Old 10-16-01, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Gizz Mopper
"Go Irish!"

das
dude, those were my answers. Now I have to pick something else. Crap.

Here goes:
What Is Your Favorite word: Love
What Is Your Least Favorite Word: Pro-Life
What Turns You On: Strenght
What Turns You Off: Ignorance
What Sound Do You Love: Laughter
What Sound Do You Hate: Tin foil being chewed
What Is Your Favorite Curse Word: F***
What Profession Others Than Yours Would You Like To Attempt: Everything I can
What Profession Would You Not Like To Particapate In: Insurance
If Heaven Exists, What Would You Like To Hear God Say When You Arrive At The Pearly Gates: "You were wrong, but that's a good thing. It's nothing but fun from here on out."
Old 10-16-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw interviews with Val Kilmer and Harrison Ford. The way Kilmer compared wearing the batsuit to being an old man had me A fairly embarrassing moment for Ford came when he couldn't remember Indiana Jones' real name.
Old 10-16-01, 07:01 PM
Suspended

kevin spacey is the man! he was awsome on the show
Man, he sure did a great tap.
Old 10-17-01, 11:31 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I felt a little sorry for Kevin Spacey ... Lipton had him doing impressions like a trained monkey for 15 minutes. They were funny, but Lipton wouldn't let up.
Old 10-17-01, 12:40 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross
I felt a little sorry for Kevin Spacey ... Lipton had him doing impressions like a trained monkey for 15 minutes. They were funny, but Lipton wouldn't let up.
I know alot of people said they didn't like the De Niro interview but your post reminded me alot of it. Like how Lipton asked De Niro to give us the ole "You Talking To Me?" De Niro just shook his head gradual and said I don't think so.

You could see a quiet dismisal from Lipton on that fact.

I love it!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.