TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Melrose Place -- New Series -- "Pilot" -- 9/8/09

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Melrose Place -- New Series -- "Pilot" -- 9/8/09

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
This show looks like a much better fit for Katie Cassidy, she had no business being on Supernatural.
I liked her on Supernatural. Didn't realize she was in this until it started, so I'll tune in for her and Michael Rady. This was sort of boring though, so hopefully it'll get better.
Old 09-09-09, 12:06 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So does Ashlee Simpson just haunt the pool area? Does she actually live in a room or just doles out poor
advice?
Old 09-09-09, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I was kinda lost during the pilot. Had a hard time keeping track of who's who and who does what.

Last edited by boogieman03; 09-09-09 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-09-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was pretty good. A lot of Hot males to look at and Katy Cassidy too.
Looking forward to this addition next week.
http://www.afterelton.com/blog/micha...-melrose-place
Old 09-09-09, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I also thought it was pretty good.

I can probably understand how some of you may not have enjoyed it since the show was really geared towards a young 20-something audience and was more style than substance.

You have to keep in mind when the original Melrose Place debuted 17 years ago, it was a fricking awful show. So, being that this is the 1st episode, I think they improved alot from how the original version started out as.

One thing that sucked me in right away was Katie Cassidy's Ella. Loved her onscreen presence. Very sexy, devilish and reminded me alot of a young Heather Locklear. I think she's already my favorite character.

I thought Michael Rady and Jessica Lucas (Jonah and Riley) were a very believable couple. However, the whole deal with her not being sure that he was ready for marriage seemed cliched. However, the cheeseball video that he made for her was cringe-worthy. Jonah catching the sleezeball Producer hooking up w/ his daughter's friend was a little cheesey and contrived. I wasn't crazy about his whole morality speech either.

The Lauren character interests me. It was also interesting seeing Stephanie Jacobsen speek w/ an American accent for the 1st time. I did think it was absurd for her to open up about the $5K offer to Violet, especially to someone she barely knows.

It was also good to have Michael back even if it is only as a guest star.

I think this was a much better Pilot episode than 90210 last season. I think this is a lock for a full season.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-09-09 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-09-09, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It has to be WAY better next week or I'm out. Once the real season starts, my DVR will be too busy.
Old 09-09-09, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

How on earth does Michael have a 24-ish kid?
Old 09-09-09, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I was kinda lost during the pilot. Had a hard time keeping track of who's who and who does what.
Color me lost as well. Seemed like the show didn't really "begin" they dropped us in on a bunch of established characters and back stories and didn't give us enough time to catch up on that "universe". It's like they wanted to get things rolling too fast and the show suffered. I went away from it feeling I know exactly 3 characters and 2 of those were from the original show.
Old 09-09-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was the 1st episode. I'm sure in a few episodes, the characters that weren't really featured in ep1 will have more screen time to show who they are. There seems to be enough that if they all had equal screen time, we'd barely know anything about them so they just showed a few now & get to the others soon.

As for Michael, he did say that he didn't know about his son for the fist 13 years & took custody when the mother died. So he was a father all during the original series but didn't know it.

Since his son slept with Syd, it means he slept with his one-time stepaunt & stepmother.

The only contradiction I've seen with the old show is Syd's death (in the old show) was retconned into an accident.
Old 09-09-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
How on earth does Michael have a 24-ish kid?
I wondered the same thing. He would have had to have him in the 80's.
Old 09-09-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was more or less "Meeh"

Wasn't impressed but at the same time I didn't hate it. But for some reason I just could get hooked into the characters - despite being a fan of a majority of the cast.

Looks like the ratings were not that hot at all though: 2.27 million according to the futoncritic.com, loosing about .5 million from "90210".
Old 09-09-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow, those ratings are disappointing, but not surprising since probably noone watched the CW over the summer. Also, the CW just doesn't have enough viewers overall compared to the other networks. Both shows probably had to rely more on internet/radio and billboards to get their promotion out.
Old 09-09-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wow, those ratings are disappointing, but not surprising since probably noone watched the CW over the summer. Also, the CW just doesn't have enough viewers overall compared to the other networks. Both shows probably had to rely more on internet/radio and billboards to get their promotion out.
I guess 90210 did better but not by much.
Old 09-09-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

What the hell is wrong with American TV stations!? Is it really necessary to fill half of the goddamn screen with logos and promos for other shows? For fucks sake!
Old 09-09-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was not impressed and I have been kind of surprised how many people liked it. I thought the acting and dialogue were atrocious. And I agree with what people said upthread at how it seemed to plop us into this world without really introducing the characters first. Let us know who they are before they start scheming against each other.

I cant believe they went to all the trouble of bringing Sydney back to life only to off her in the first episode. WTF. That seems like a huge waste. Sure, flashbacks, blah blah blah. But why not at least let us get to know her again and off her later in the season. Would have been more dramatic that way.

I also really did not like the look of this show at all. It seemed way too dark. I liked the original how it had more of a lighter look and tone, so it seemed funner with all the scheming and sex. This show just has a depressing look to it.

And that was the worst station bug I have ever seen. It took up almost a quarter of the screen!

I am happy to have Thomas Calabro back on my TV screen. I always thought he was the most underrated aspect of the original show and I have long wanted him to be added to a series (I think he would be awesome on Desperate Housewives.) Not sure if this Michael Mancini will be as fun as the original. He seemed more dour here.
Old 09-09-09, 04:17 PM

I loved the look of the apartment complex. That's it :-)
Old 09-09-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched, not expecting much. It lived down to my expectations. I'll take a quick look next week, but when some of my regulars return, this one gets dumped.
Old 09-09-09, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The Apartment Complex looked just like the one from "Chuck" and I'm pretty sure the little girls birthday party was taking place at the house from "Privileged".
Old 09-09-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't think it was the best thing in the world but it was only the premiere episode so I wasn't expecting to be blown away.

but Katie Cassidy will keep me tuning in again next week.
Old 09-09-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
but Katie Cassidy will keep me tuning in again next week.
Agree, Katie Cassidy will definitely keep me watching.
Old 09-09-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
What the hell is wrong with American TV stations!? Is it really necessary to fill half of the goddamn screen with logos and promos for other shows? For fucks sake!
Amen. Not only that but they have to put it almost in the middle of the screen. Because God forbid somebody with a 4x3 TV doesn't know that THE VAMPIRE DIARIES or SOME STUPID MODEL SHOW is coming soon. I've learned to live with the bugs stashed in the corner, but I gave up 20 minutes into staring at these stupid promos.

If the CW ever accidentally produces a show worth watching I guess I'll have to catch the DVD.
Old 09-09-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I am happy to have Thomas Calabro back on my TV screen. Not sure if this Michael Mancini will be as fun as the original. He seemed more dour here.
It is good to have him back on TV (twice in one week - he was also on Greek this week). Katie Cassidy
Old 09-10-09, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
So is Sydney just going to pop up in flashbacks all season? Her showing up dead in the pool was a big WTF given how Laura Leighton was the face of the media campaign.
It was an even bigger WTF given how Sam ran over Syd & killed her on her wedding night in the original show.

I didn't expect this to be good and it wasn't. If it eventually gets as over the top as the original, I may start watching again, but the first episode blew.
Old 09-10-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by golden_rod
It was an even bigger WTF given how Sam ran over Syd & killed her on her wedding night in the original show.

I didn't expect this to be good and it wasn't. If it eventually gets as over the top as the original, I may start watching again, but the first episode blew.
Well they did touch on that a little in the flashback when Michael mentioned the "Accident" from 11 years ago to her. I do hope they go into that a little more in a future episode. But, again even though this sounds extremely far-fetched and ludicrous, this is a nighttime soap opera. Days of Our Lives has pulled some of the most whacked shit on TV (Salem Stalker from a few years ago and everyone ended up being alive and well) Dallas pulled the Bobby Ewing thing back in the day.
Old 09-10-09, 01:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
apparently it's from watching so much television and tiny ipod screens, that Americans have terrible eyesight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.