Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Top Chef Vegas - starts 19 Aug

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
Re: Top Chef Vegas - starts 19 Aug

I don't know about them setting anything up or letting Laurine go because of what Kevin and Jen have done before. If the blogs are to be believed -- and they sure seem believable -- you get no credit for previous performance except for one thing: in the even of a tie at the finale.
Old 10-24-09, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Oh, and we need more footage of Jen in a bikini.
Old 10-24-09, 04:03 PM

Old 10-24-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I don't know about them setting anything up or letting Laurine go because of what Kevin and Jen have done before. If the blogs are to be believed -- and they sure seem believable -- you get no credit for previous performance except for one thing: in the even of a tie at the finale.
Colicchio and the other judges can say that all they want, but they have shown at least a few times that when it is a fairly close decision, the person(s) who have had the stronger performances in the past will get the benefit of the doubt. I think that's the way it should be, too, personally. I just wish they didn't try to act like they are so above considering past performance.
Old 10-25-09, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Oh, and we need more footage of Jen in a bikini.
+2. Except she was supposed to cook in it. Maybe she could have worked front of house.
Old 10-26-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope Jen stays all the way until the end. She's pretty hot and I really like her eyes. For a chef, she's got a nice tummy. I wonder why no one stepped up to cuddle with her when she requested it in the stew room.
Old 10-26-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This could be interesting:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...0091026bravo01

BRAVO ANNOUNCES SERIES PICKUP OF "TOP CHEF: JUST DESSERTS"

Network Kicks Off Nationwide Casting Calls

NEW YORK - October 26, 2009 - Today, Bravo announced the series pickup of its newest culinary competition series entitled "Top Chef: Just Desserts," a spin-off of the Emmy and James Beard Award-winning "Top Chef." The series will consist of pastry chefs competing against one another in a series of challenges.
Old 10-26-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I don't know...I don't think we need another Top Chef. How would it be any different? Same goofy challenges and campy drama. I like Top Chef but I'm not interested in another version of the same show.
Old 10-26-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it could be cool, if only because the Top Chef chefs always act so flummoxed at the thought of doing desserts. Getting to drool over yummy desserts made by people who know how to make them sounds interesting.
Old 10-26-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not particularly interested in this either. Part of the interesting thing about Top Chef for me is how they put together the meals, especially in the final round. Although it is usually pretty interesting to see the chefs get puzzled by being challenged to put together a dessert. But for pastry chefs, this will literally be a piece of cake so that challenge probably won't be there.
Old 10-26-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tofu
I'm not particularly interested in this either. Part of the interesting thing about Top Chef for me is how they put together the meals, especially in the final round. Although it is usually pretty interesting to see the chefs get puzzled by being challenged to put together a dessert. But for pastry chefs, this will literally be a piece of cake so that challenge probably won't be there.
Yeah it's kind of like taking 10 chefs who ONLY cook steak and then have them cook steak each week to see who does it the best. Part of the fun is maybe seeing people that are really good at certain things struggle a bit because they're not quite as good at something else. Plus, not necessarily dumping on pastry chefs, but it seems to me that A LOT more goes into making a full meal compared to just making a dessert, so I just don't see it being all that interesting.

These pastry chefs make desserts all day, everyday, so unless they come up with some wacky challenges, it should be a breeze for all of them.
Old 10-27-09, 06:47 AM

Now back to the important matter at hand....anyone have a screenshot of Jen in a bikini?
Old 10-27-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I can see the Desserts show being ok if it's only like 4 or 5 episodes, tops. Make it a full season and it will get VERY boring.
Old 10-27-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RKETgcRTe00&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RKETgcRTe00&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 10-27-09, 02:35 PM

butterface fo' sho'.
Old 10-27-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
butterface fo' sho'.
Hmmm...I actually like her face and think she's sexy...especially her eyes and she's got pretty hair. I'd let her cook me dinner at her place sometime.
Old 10-27-09, 08:08 PM

Let me soften up a little. She's certainly not ugly. But she makes some of the ugliest faces i've ever seen. Mouth-gaping, ugly faces.
Old 10-27-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Let me soften up a little. She's certainly not ugly. But she makes some of the ugliest faces i've ever seen. Mouth-gaping, ugly faces.
Agreed. She also barely opens or moves her mouth when she speaks, which makes her look quite strange at times.
Old 10-28-09, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jen's face always reminded me of Kairi from this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH9jW...layer_embedded

Sorry, embedding has been disabled.
Old 10-28-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Arrogance and entitlement sends someone packing tonight. Natalie Portman is a beauty for the ages. Vegetarians are unnatural.

"It's like a little prick on the tip of my tongue"
Best line in Top Chef history.
Old 10-28-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I just hope Jennifer gets her confidence back.

While I don't mind seeing Mike leave, I am really sick of Robin on my TV screen. I could have lived with Mike for another week.

Mike Voltaggio is a giant douchebag.
Old 10-28-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis

Mike Voltaggio is a giant douchebag.
He and his brother can't stand the fact that big Kev is kicking ass!
Old 10-28-09, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, as a vegetarian I should have been drooling at this episode but I wasn't excited about any of that food. Goes to show you, that "top chefs" are clueless at cooking vegetarian. Most of those dishes looked like boring side dishes. I can cook better than that!

I am soooo happy to see that douchebag Mike Isabella leave. Even better to see him eliminated before Robin.
Old 10-29-09, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsar Chasm
"It's like a little prick on the tip of my tongue"
Best line in Top Chef history.
I thought the line that came shortly after that was better.

Wow, as a vegetarian I should have been drooling at this episode but I wasn't excited about any of that food. Goes to show you, that "top chefs" are clueless at cooking vegetarian. Most of those dishes looked like boring side dishes. I can cook better than that!
It was a little weird, those dishes were very strange choices. Makes me wonder if there were further menu restrictions than merely "vegetarian". No grains at all, none. No pasta, no soy products. Was there even potato? Almost no dairy. They kept talking about "proteins" but none of the dishes -- with the possible exception of Eli's -- had much.
Old 10-29-09, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am soooo happy to see that douchebag Mike Isabella leave. Even better to see him eliminated before Robin.
But they were limited to what was in the walk-in at Craftsteak. He isn't going to have edamame, tofu, bean sprouts, and other staples of vegetarian/vegan cuisine. His restaurant is new american, so asian just isn't going to be there.

I was really surprised that someone didn't attempt soup. A gazpacho would probably have won it.

Last episode was probably the best episode of Top Chef since the finale of season 4. Season 5 was horrifically boring.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.