DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Holy Crap! Darabont to adapt 'The Walking Dead' for AMC

Awesome
Old 03-29-10, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonny Lee Miller cast as Rick?

I've got a copy of the pilot script and it's very faithful.
Old 03-30-10, 08:17 PM

Darabont shares more info w/ AICN

Hi Herc,

Just to clarify the announcement:

It's not a 6-episode miniseries. It's intended as a regular ongoing series.

AMC is going into it as they did with "Breaking Bad" (which, on a personal note, gets my passionate vote as being the best series on television right now, hands-down): those familiar with "Breaking Bad" may have noticed it was actually a "half season" approach consisting of 7 episodes. When that first season proved successful, AMC then transitioned to the standard 13 episodes per year as of season two.

Same idea here. If WD finds its audience, following seasons will continue with the standard 13 episodes.

It's a very smart approach on AMC's part, in addition to being a tremendous show of their faith: as with "Breaking Bad," instead of giving us just a single pilot episode to prove ourselves, AMC has gone out on a limb and greenlit half a season to kick things off and give our show a chance to bring the audience in. Gale Anne Hurd and I are very grateful to them for that.

Hope that helps dispell any confusion.

Best,
Frank
Old 03-31-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
AMC sends 'Walking Dead' to series

Continuing its perfect pilot-to-series track record, AMC has ordered at least six episodes of "The Walking Dead."

Actually, "The Walking Dead" is one step better than AMC's normal routine, because the cable network has sent the zombie franchise to series without even shooting a pilot.

Based on the Image Comics series by Robert Kirkman, "The Walking Dead" pilot was written by Frank Darabont, who will also direct and executive produce. Joining Darabont and Kirkman on the executive producing team are Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert and the newly added Charles "Chic" Eglee ("Dexter").

"The Walking Dead" will begin production in June in Atlanta. The six-episode first season will premiere in October 2010 as part of AMC's annual Fearfest Halloween celebration.

"AMC strives to make original shows that play like movies and 'The Walking Dead' is a perfect complement to the network’s celebrated movie franchise, Fearfest, which has always been an important destination for our audience," says Charlie Collier, AMC President, in a statement. "With its depth of story and the remarkable talent attached, 'The Walking Dead' gives us an opportunity to raise the bar significantly within this popular genre, and continue our commitment to being the home of premium programming on basic cable."

Kirkman's comic premiered in 2003 and has become one of the medium's landmark titles with its harsh and unflinching depiction of a world overrun by zombies and the increased desperation of the few surviving humans. The series' main character is Rick Grimes, a former police officer. There are dozens of other human characters, but it's best not to get too attached to most of them. In "The Walking Dead," anybody can die at any time.

So far, casting on "The Walking Dead" is in its early phases with only Jon Bernthal ("The Pacific," "The Class") attached, playing Grimes' friend Shane.

"'The Walking Dead' is that rare piece of material that plays on many levels," says Joel Stillerman, Senior Vice President of Programming, Production and Digital Content. "Kirkman's series brilliantly captures the social commentary and ongoing human drama of the zombie apocalypse; and let's us kick a little zombie you-know-what from time to time."

To date, AMC has ordered four drama pilots. "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" are the network's Emmy-winning foundation. The political thriller "Rubicon" will premiere this summer.

SOURCE
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
Old 04-01-10, 08:48 AM

It's kind of funny that I stumbled upon this thread this morning. I've been wanting to read this comic for awhile and I found volume 3 at half priced books with the 50% off coupon so last night I ordered volumes 1 and 2 and now this comes along, it looks like some good times ahead for zombie fans.
Old 04-01-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I think doing a 6 episode run first is a brilliant idea. It worked for Breaking Bad (which picked up moments after that finale). Also, given the nature of the comic, this would work out very well.

On the downside though, if it leaves a huge cliffhanger, it will suck if it gets canned. But I remain positive it will be a hit.
Old 04-06-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Lincoln set for 'Walking Dead'
AMC taps lead actor for zombie series
By CYNTHIA LITTLETON

AMC has tapped thesp Andrew Lincoln for the lead role in its Frank Darabont drama series "The Walking Dead."

Lincoln ("Teachers") will play police officer Rick Grimes, who leads a group of human survivors on a search for a safe place to live in the wake of a zombie apocalypse.
Skein is based on the "Walking Dead" comicbook series by Rick Kirkman. Jon Bernthal ("The Pacific") has been cast as Grimes' partner, Shane.

AMC has also recruited Jack LoGiudice ("Sons of Anarchy") to serve as co-exec producer on the series. "Dead" has a six-episode order and is targeted to preem in October in conjunction with AMC's annual 14-day "Fearfest" marathon of horror and thriller pics.

Darabont, Kirkman, Charles Eglee, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert are exec producers of "Dead."
Old 04-06-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I read all 11 volumes of the comic in about a month. I really hope this show finds an audience, because some of the storylines in the series are fantastic, and could make for great television.
Old 04-30-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sarah Wayne Callies (Prison Break) is Lori Grimes.
Old 04-30-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you know why zombies like AMC? Because they have BRAAAAINNS!
Old 04-30-10, 07:24 PM

Darabont's Pilot Script
Old 05-05-10, 12:45 PM

more cast news

AMC has added to the cast of Frank Darabont's apocalyptic zombie drama "The Walking Dead."

The production has tapped Laurie Holden for the role of Andrea, a key member of the survivor group who has a proficiency with a sniper rifle and falls for a man twice her age.

Holden was in writer-producer-director Darabont's "The Mist" and had a recurring role in the final season of FX's "The Shield." She is repped by APA and Framework.

Also, Adam Fierro has joined the production as a consulting producer. The ICM-repped Fierro has worked on such serialized dramas as "Dexter," "Shield" and "24."

In addition, newcomer Steven Yeun has been added to the cast as Glenn. He and Holden join Andrew Lincoln, Jeffrey DeMunn and Jon Bernthal on the show.
Old 05-05-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I'm liking how this show is shaping up. I've never heard of the male lead, but I like Sarah Wayne Callies and loved Laurie Holden in The Mist and her guest appearances on The Shield. Sounds like they have a solid creative team behind it too.
Old 05-05-10, 01:31 PM

Cant wait for this, I LOVE the graphic novel.
Old 05-17-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some zombie goodness from AICN:

"He produced a zombie that he's working on for THE WALKING DEAD - I haven't seen any of KNB's work for this VERY anticipated show from AMC and Darabont. Any concern about this show not adapting the more ghoulish aspects of THE WALKING DEAD. Well, I haven't seen such an awesome cadaverous Zombie since RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD or... even LIFEFORCE. Only... this was mixed with more "wet" than either of those. We're talking very cool work here. The glimpse raised my already high expectations. Can't wait to see what Frank does with this - and hopefully we'll get some glimpses to share with you shortly!"
Old 05-26-10, 11:09 PM

New interview with Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman over at AICN

A few highlights:

So right now it’s like full speed ahead and they are moving forward with this pilot. I wrote the first episode and then they are going to be shooting all summer for the first six episodes. Frank is in Atlanta right now doing prep, so he’s kind of hard at it. They start shooting in, I think, a week.
Quint: Is it an hour long show or half hour?
Robert Kirkman: It’s an hour long.
Quint: Here’s a question that I know a lot of fans have asked… I’ve seen this pop up a lot in our talkback. Has there been any talk at all about shooting the show in black and white?
Robert Kirkman: No, no there isn’t. I have a concern that if people were flipping the channels and they saw something that was in black and white, they might think it was an old movie. It’s just something that’s usually not done on television and while I think it’s neat and I know Darabont likes black and white a lot, that’s why there’s a black and white version of THE MIST on the DVD and he wanted to do the movie in black and white originally. I don’t know that there’s going to be a black and white version of the show on the DVD. There might be, but it just doesn’t make sense as a television show for a lot of reasons.
Robert Kirkman: Well, one of the many cool things about the show is that while it is going to follow the comic book to a pretty close degree, there’s going to be things that happen in the show that have happened in the comic and most of the characters are there and if the characters aren’t there initially, there will be more characters from the book added in as we go on, but the show is going to have new characters that aren’t in the comic. It’s going to have differences in the storyline and so there’s going to be things in the comic that it just never touches on and it’s really going to be “There’s the television story and then there’s the comic book story,” so as far as catching up to the comic series, it’s not really going to be possible because as time goes on they are not going to be really following the same story.

Last edited by aJOHNymous; 05-26-10 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it won't be in B&W. That is my least favorite aspect of the comic.
Old 06-02-10, 12:45 PM

Video interview with Darabont and our first look at the zombies
Old 06-02-10, 12:59 PM

The makeup effects look amazing! Cant wait for this show!
Old 06-02-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome!
Old 06-02-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I am really excited about this. October is gonna be awesome with this and the halloween challenge. My head will explode.....

Old 06-02-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

yeah, if the hype lives up to expectation, this is going to be fucking awesome.
Old 06-02-10, 07:21 PM

I wonder how they are going to handle the 'Walt' aspect of the child actors. If they stick to the storyline/timeline in the comics it would be nearly impossible I think. If I recall barely two years have passed in the comic in 70+ issues. That would probably take many years to tell in a television format. Not that they will be sticking to the comic story exactly, but the fact remains that every year the child actors will look a year older whether a year has passed in the story or not. Maybe they start every season with everybody still alive and saying "Well we survived another year of the zombie apocalypse" and then the bodies start to drop? I'm confident they'll figure something out.

As for the black and white or lack thereof, I think it would be great if they used the same dull tones used in Band of Brothers. Still colour, but everything is so muted it may as well be black and white. I think it would set the tone of the comic perfectly.
Old 06-02-10, 10:14 PM

Heres some of the first images from the show! Mainly the zombies but they looks pretty sweet

Old 06-03-10, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is going to be so awesome

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.