Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 6" (7/29-30/09)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which four dancers deserve to be in next week's FINAL 4?! (Pick two girls & two guys)
Jeanine Mason (CONTEMPORARY)
85.00%
Kayla Radomski (CONTEMPORARY/JAZZ)
85.00%
Melissa Sandvig (CLASSICAL BALLET)
25.00%
Brandon Bryant (CONTEMPORARY)
85.00%
Evan Kasprzak (BROADWAY)
30.00%
Ade Obayomi (CONTEMPORARY)
80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-09, 08:35 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts

"The Top 6" - Wednesday, July 29 - 8/7c - 2 hours

The top 6 dancers perform on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, the series that has America on its feet. Dancers must impress the TV audience with their moves and rigorous routines in order to get the votes needed to remain in the competition.

"Results Show" - Thursday, July 30 - 9/8c - 1 hour

Two of the final 6 dancers are eliminated.

Your "Top 6" America!!!!!

Jeanine Mason
CONTEMPORARY
Kayla Radomski
CONTEMPORARY/JAZZ
Melissa Sandvig
CLASSICAL BALLET

Brandon Bryant
CONTEMPORARY
Evan Kasprzak
BROADWAY
Ade Obayomi
CONTEMPORARY

Links for Season 5!:
So You Think You Can Dance (The 1&O Season 5 Auditions Thread - 5/21-22, 28/09)
So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "Vegas Week / Top 20 Revealed" (6/3-4/09)
So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 20" (6/10-11/09) - Eliminated: Tony & Paris
So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 18" (6/17-18/09) - Eliminated: Max & Ashley
So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 16" (6/24-25/09) - Eliminated: Jonathon & Asuka
So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 14" (7/1-2/09) - Eliminated: Karla & Vitolio
So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 12" (7/8-9/09) - Eliminated: Caitlin & Phillip
So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 10" (7/8-9/09) - Eliminated: Randi & Kupono
So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 8" & "100th Episode" (7/22-23/09) - Eliminated: Janette & Jason

Last edited by Goldberg74; 07-28-09 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 08:43 PM

Re: So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 6" (7/29-30/09)

NOTE: This week's poll question is: "Which four dancers deserve to be in next week's FINAL 4?!"

Which two guys and which two girls would you like to see in next week's TOP 4?

Remember to vote for who you think deserves it and you would like to see next week.
Old 07-29-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I know who Evan reminds me of!

Stan Laurel!!

Old 07-29-09, 09:07 PM

Brandon and Kayla were amazing! I wished they have been paired together earlier. Brandon is a dance god and Kayla is a dance goddess. I dont know if they will win, and Im not even sure they are my favorites, but they have been perfection this whole season.

Loved the hip hop, hope it saves Janine and Ade. I love Melissa, but between the 3 girls, I feel it is her time to go. I'm hoping for a Brandon, Ade, Janine, & Kayla finale. I think it will be amazing.

Got tickets for the tour in Miami, and after watching tonights performances, esp. the mens trio, got really really excited to see it!
Old 07-29-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

I was only sort of watching in passing while I was working but I didn't really care for Kayla and Brandon's disco. Maybe I'm comparing to Brandon's disco with Janette earlier in the season which was amazing. I just wasn't feeling Kayla in it at all.

Ade and Janine's ball room was painful to watch and it was because of Ade. I hope the hip hop saved him but hip hop hasn't saved anybody all season I don't think. I fear he may be gone tomorrow.
Old 07-29-09, 09:54 PM

Dang it... I forgot that I changed the question this week... stupid me... I voted for who I thought was going to be sent home.

I should pay more attention to what I do.

Brandon, Evan, Kayla, and Jeanine will be in Top 4.

... and this is the immortal example for "do as I say, not as I do."

I'm going to go hide now.
Old 07-29-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Evan and Melissa - Broadway/Quickstep - Evan had a softball thrown his way with the Broadway number, but he didn't exceed expectations, he was playing catch-up at times in the Quickstep, while Melissa was solid in both numbers and handicap with Evan as her partner.

Ade and Jeanine - Salsa/Hip-hop - Ade continues to struggle with latin ballroom numbers, but Jeanine is able to use her sex appeal to dance through them. Their hip-hop was solid, but it ran out of steam for me.

Brandon and Kayla - Contemporary/Disco - Strong contemporary number, very much in Kayla's wheelhouse. The disco number also ran out of steam a bit at the end, but they were asked to pull off many tricks, and had a higher degree of difficulty, and did well, though their double death throws looked a bit weak. Thought Nigel oversold his pimping of Kayla and Brandon.

Evan looked a little out of place in the guy's dance, while all three of the gals were all strong in their number.

The only reason Evan doesn't get sent home this week will be due to his fan base, which means Ade might not make the finals.

Melissa getting paired with Evan might be responsible for her being sent home and missing the finals. But as I said before, they continue to pimp Kayla (I think she should be in the finals, but it's such a toss-up amongst the 3 gals) and that might backfire as well. Jeanine just has so much sex appeal, but her dancing isn't as technically strong, but her intangibles make up for it. Nigel's dirty ol' man came out tonight when he was critiqueing Jeanine's assets after the gals group number.
Old 07-30-09, 02:51 AM

Hope Brandon and Kayla go home.

Evan, Melissa, or Jeanine are all at the top of my list to win simply because they have at least shown some semblance of personality. This season has really bored me. I think the choreography has been lackluster overall and the dancers have been lackluster as people (their dancing is generally great.)

I'm also really tired of how much the judges have been praising Brandon since day 1. I feel that they picked their winner from the beginning and haven't been paying attention to everyone else or even to Brandon's mishaps. (I thought the disco tonight was really clumsy in the second half, but it was fan-freaking-tastic according to the judges.)

And remember when it seemed special to get on the hot tamale train?

Here's to hoping that S6 will return SYTYCD to season 1,2,3 or 4 glory.
Old 07-30-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to remember that it's America's favorite dancer, not America's best dancer. That's why I voted that Brandon and Melissa will be going home.

And I finished the show late last night - that superhero dance by the women was one of my favorite dances of the year.

Just one more week...

and here are the dialidol predictions:
Spoiler:
Melissa is definately going home, and either Evan or Ade will be going home (a toss-up).

Jeannine, Kayla, and Brandon are safe.

Last edited by Heat; 07-30-09 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-30-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't like the hip-hop. I hate that style of hip-hop. Bad like the Twitch-Kherington one from last year.

They need something more like Josh-Katee no air and Dom-Sabra make it work, Chelsie-Mark bleeding love etc.

Ade and Brandon's solos were good, Evan's was ok. I don't really remember the girls, however their girl group dance was good.

I actually did try voting for Jeanine but her line was still busy at 10:30.

I'm borrowing this thread title from the imdb board:Evan's pasty hairy thighs, boxers, garter socks = scarred for life
Old 07-30-09, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Brandon, Evan, Kayla, and Jeanine will be in Top 4.
I was right.

Should be a good finalé... with Brandon dancing circles around Evan.

And as my wife pointed out, Kayla is the tallest of the four dancers.
Old 07-30-09, 10:01 PM

When they showed the already 3 finalists when they announced that Evan would be joining them it really looked like they were not happy with that. Kind of a 'wtf why is he here' or 'wtf omg he might outvote me for some strange odd reason.'
Old 07-30-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have that wtf and omg he fucking outvoted me look too.
Old 07-30-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gasspasser
When they showed the already 3 finalists when they announced that Evan would be joining them it really looked like they were not happy with that. Kind of a 'wtf why is he here' or 'wtf omg he might outvote me for some strange odd reason.'
You mean the judges? The 3 other finalists looked excited to have him.

But yeah, too bad for Ade.

But yay, Jeanine - Florida representin'!
Old 07-31-09, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No idea how Evan has made it this far, but thrilled that two of my favorites -- Kayla and Branden -- are in the finals. Those two just KILLED their routines on Wed. (Best disco routine of all seasons, IMO.)

Entertaining Thurs. night show. Loved seeing Will's performance again.

Lil' C is SYTYCD's Paula Abdul.
Old 07-31-09, 09:30 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still not sure I understand Evan's survival/popularity. Is it just because he was featured prominently in the early rounds? When I think of past 'favorites' (Benji or Twitch, for instance) who got further than dancers who were arguably better all-around skillwise, I can still remember some of their standout routines and can understand their popularity. In fact, I'm a fan of both. But Evan really hasn't had many exceptional routines throughout the competition -- the only memorable thing he's been in was Mia's 'booty' dance with Randi, and he's not what I remember about that dance. His style has a certain charm to it, but not so much to inspire the overwhelming love from the voters to take him into the finals.
Old 07-31-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's because Evan is simply likable, moreso than Ade or Brandon, on a personal level as far as screen presence. We all know that Ade is a more powerful dancer than Evan, but Ade just never really connected with the audiences enough to garner as much call-in support as Evan has. Ade was powerfully competent in his non-ballroom dance styles, but he just wasn't a good ballroom dancing partner. Evan, though, is physically challenged height-wise, in most ballroom dances as well, but he seemed to be able to project his character in the dance numbers better than Ade, thereby connecting with the audiences more.
Old 08-01-09, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

And although I love Evan (great to see a musical theater background featured so prominently on national television!) I think that Ade was starting to come off as a "poor man's Brandon" at this point in the competition. Ade would come out and be good, then Brandon would be better in a similar style.

As for Evan's popularity, I think the brother story at the beginning was HUGE and he seems like a genuinely likeable guy. And I am STOKED that Jeanine made it through. I have loved her for a long time and I was afraid she'd become a forgettable generic dark-haired girl. And she also has done musical theater, so that's a win-win all around for me.

I predict that it comes down to Kayla and Brandon for the title, and I'm feeling like the audience is going to go with Brandon though I think Kayla is a better performer.
Old 08-01-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jeanine might pull off the upset, especially if she draws Brandon as her partner next week. She's got the bod, nice performance acumen in the acting side, and is pretty competent as a technical dancer (but Kayla is a tad better in that aspect). She might come across as more likable than Brandon or Kayla (but no one is going to unseat Evan for Mr. Congeniality).

Brandon is the best dancer technically and athleticaly, but not overall performer in terms of personality in concert with dance ability. So he doesn't always connect emotionally with the crowd in some of his numbers.

Kayla is the better overall performer in terms of the combination of dance ability and performance personality, but if she gets Evan as a partner next week, she'll be at a slight disadvantage. When paired with a partner that doesn't hold her back, she usually rises to the ocassion.

Evan is the most likable dancer (call it the Kris Allen effect, if you will), but is lagging behind in dancing polish on the technical side, but can perform the character for each dance well enough to connect with the audiences.
Old 08-01-09, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Jeanine might pull off the upset, especially if she draws Brandon as her partner next week....
If they hold true to past seasons, they are all going to dance with each other next week.

We'll get 7 dances:
  • Evan and Jeanine
  • Evan and Kayla
  • Evan and Brandon
  • Brandon and Jeanine
  • Brandon and Kayla
  • Jeanine and Kayla
  • Jeanine, Kayla, Brandon, and Evan
Old 08-01-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aw man, they all have to dance with Evan, that means Evan's gonna win, he's like the Black Widow of this season. Heh.
Old 08-01-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they hold true to past seasons, they are all going to dance with each other next week.

We'll get 7 dances:
  • Evan and Jeanine
  • Evan and Kayla
  • Evan and Brandon
  • Brandon and Jeanine
  • Brandon and Kayla
  • Jeanine and Kayla
What about:
  • Evan, Kayla, and Jeanine
  • Evan, Kayla, and Brandon
  • Kayla, Jeanine, and Brandon
  • Evan, Jeanine, and Brandon
  • Mary, Nigel, and Little 'C
Old 08-01-09, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Heat
What about:
  • Evan, Kayla, and Jeanine
  • Evan, Kayla, and Brandon
  • Kayla, Jeanine, and Brandon
  • Evan, Jeanine, and Brandon
  • Mary, Nigel, and Little 'C
Old 08-01-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We'll get 7 dances:
  • Evan and Jeanine
  • Evan and Kayla
  • Evan and Brandon
  • Brandon and Jeanine
  • Brandon and Kayla
  • Jeanine and Kayla
How long was the finlae last year? My tv schedule says it is only one hour. And they usually have SIX judges for the finale. Seems like a lot to cram in one hour.
Old 08-01-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
they all have to dance with Evan, that means Evan's gonna win.
Here's hoping!

But truthfully, I'll be happy as long as Brandon doesn't win. He's a really good dancer, but he just really, really, really annoys me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.