Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hell's Kitchen -- Season 6 Thread -- Premieres 7/21/09

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hell's Kitchen -- Season 6 Thread -- Premieres 7/21/09

A friend that used to work in a local steakhouse said that they were told to grill to mark it and then finish in the microwave. He quit.

My preview cut off. What did I miss?
Old 08-12-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
My preview cut off. What did I miss?
The MOST. SHOCKING. EPISODE. EVER. is next week

Oh wait, that was the promo for the week before. And the 143 weeks before that too.
Old 08-12-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by djbrown
The MOST. SHOCKING. EPISODE. EVER. is next week
Does someone make Chef Ramsay upset? Does he yell at them? Do they try to send something that is raw?

I was more interested in the Robert thing someone mentioned. What exactly did they show with him?
Old 08-12-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Robert is like one of those professional students that never graduates. He'll keep having infarctions, have to leave the show and then be invited back next season.
Old 08-12-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zuffy
Do many restaurants cook their steaks as suggested in Hell's Kitchen? Grill is only for marking and you cook it in the oven? Uh, I think I like my steak to be grilled from beginning to end like what Tex was doing except not burn it. If that really is true, no wonder many non steakhouse restaurant has shitty steaks. You can taste it that it was not grilled.
No, you can't. If they were using gas grills, there is no "taste" difference. Only char-grilling would taste different. Once the marks are on the steaks, they put them in the convection oven until they hit the right internal temperature. (In fact it is MUCH easier to control how well done the meat gets by putting it in a 400 degree oven!)

This was sort of amusing to watch since neither of the chefs on the meat station realized that the ONLY way they were going to avoid being slammed on the grill would be to put the marks on, putting them in the oven and moving onto marking more steaks.

Originally Posted by JasonF
Originally Posted by mugwump
Here's what I don't get -- after so many seasons with essentially the same damn menu wouldn't you at least practice cooking some of those dishes before you went on the show? They stare at the scallops like they've never heard of the things.
No kidding. Risotto and Beef Wellington, people. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you'll be cooking a lot of both of those.
Thing is there is a pre-prep status for everything they serve. You can't just MAKE risotto when someone orders it. So a lot of these mistakes have to do with them not learning the proper shortcuts. I haven't figured out if they're expected to know them, get taught them when they arrive or figure it out after a few services. Certainly by 5 services in, you would expect them to not be serving raw menu staples.
Old 08-12-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
No, you can't. If they were using gas grills, there is no "taste" difference. Only char-grilling would taste different. Once the marks are on the steaks, they put them in the convection oven until they hit the right internal temperature. (In fact it is MUCH easier to control how well done the meat gets by putting it in a 400 degree oven!)
I'm not so sure about that. A steak grilled to cooked will have a different outside layer texture taste vs just a marked one.
Old 08-12-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm more interested in robert's fate next week..
Spoiler:
I would guess that he'll have to quit again. He looks like he's gained quite a bit since last season and in the previews for next week his attack looked worse than before. He's gonna get 'the big one' if he doesn't do something about his weight soon...
Old 08-12-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leeta
I'm more interested in robert's fate next week..
Spoiler:
I would guess that he'll have to quit again. He looks like he's gained quite a bit since last season and in the previews for next week his attack looked worse than before. He's gonna get 'the big one' if he doesn't do something about his weight soon...
I'm surprised he hasn't.

The man is a walking timebomb. I wonder if they'll have him back again if he has to leave.
Old 08-18-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They really hyped up that Ramsay vs. Tenielle fight in to something when it was really nothing. They pretty much showed everything that happened in the previews. Surprised to see that one guy go - I for sure thought it was Andy. That guy hasn't shown competence since day one.
Old 08-19-09, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
They really hyped up that Ramsay vs. Tenielle fight in to something when it was really nothing. They pretty much showed everything that happened in the previews. Surprised to see that one guy go - I for sure thought it was Andy. That guy hasn't shown competence since day one.
I missed it last night, who got the boot?
Old 08-19-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim, who wasn't nominated by the men's team.
Old 08-19-09, 09:00 PM

They've been showing clips of the Ramsay vs. Tenille fight since the start of the season. I thought that maybe she'd be gone after that incident, but it seems as if he likes her. I almost threw up when they kept showing the foam in the corner of her mouth.

As for Robert, I think it's really sad that they made him pedal that bike to the store knowing his physical condition. They could be liable for anything that happens to him as a result. This is my first season tuning in, is Robert's condition due to his size only? Sometimes it could be the other way around and a condition could cause someone to gain weight.

Last edited by mraw; 08-21-09 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-19-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mraw
As for Robert, I think it's really sad that they made him peddle that bike to the store knowing his physical condition. They could be liable for anything that happens to him as a result. This is my first season tuning in, is Robert's condition due to his size only? Sometimes it could be the other way around and a condition could cause someone to gain weight.
He says he just likes to eat. He had an abusive childhood he blames it on that.

Last season he made it to the Final 5 but had to quit because of his heart which is why Ramsay brought him back this round.
Old 08-19-09, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by gmanca
Jim, who wasn't nominated by the men's team.
I like to root for the underdog, so I liked Jim and Andy. I just knew that Andy was gone because he's the focus of attention every week. It was nice to see Dave get shut down for a change because he is way too cocky. Now I hope that Kevin is next, but I still think that he and Ariel are the most talented and one of them should win. Tenille is fighting hard for this, though. I must give her credit for that.
Old 08-19-09, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
He says he just likes to eat. He had an abusive childhood he blames it on that.

Last season he made it to the Final 5 but had to quit because of his heart which is why Ramsay brought him back this round.
It looks like he could have that lap band surgery or something. His line about "I take 700 calorie bites" was funny.
Old 08-20-09, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife was shocked that they made him join that bike ride since he is so out of shape. Even if he comes back, he's missed a service so it isn't really fair.

I don't think that I've ever had risotto, but it looks good every week, so I am going to have to find out how to make it.
Old 08-20-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by movieking
My wife was shocked that they made him join that bike ride since he is so out of shape. Even if he comes back, he's missed a service so it isn't really fair.
Is it any less fair than spending a week on garnish or desserts?
Old 08-20-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a big guy like Robert and i've never been like he was at the end of the show. He must have another medical condition that is causing him to shut down like that.
Old 08-20-09, 11:55 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tenille is growing on me very slightly
Old 08-20-09, 02:37 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's funny the whole episode came off as Ramsey trying to sabotage the men's team, after there dominating victory last week. I mean come on. I don't think the women would have received that punishment of riding the bike to the store. He knew Robert was out of shape and had heart problems, why would you put him on a bike and make him ride up hill. Now Ramsey see's something in Tenille. If any man had mouthed off like that to him, he would have told them to pack there bags.
Old 08-20-09, 04:19 PM

I kind of felt a weird tension between the two of them [Tenille and Ramsay]. Had Tenille been attractive, that's the type of fight that ends up with two people in bed.

Last edited by mraw; 08-20-09 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-20-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude, next week Robert DIES!!!!1!!!1!!!!

Seriously, the promos Fox has been cutting for this show are outrageous. Anyone catch the quick clip where Ramsay roars like a dinosaur? WTF?

Tenille needs to die, but I love mocking her and making my gf crack up when we watch the show so I can tolerate her for a little bit longer.

Last edited by islandclaws; 08-20-09 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-20-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tenille has gotten on my last nerve. I can't stand her - and she's even more annoying and ugly when she's pissed off. I can't stand the sound of her nasally voice.
Old 08-20-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mraw
They've been showing clips of the Ramsay vs. Tenille fight since the start of the season. I thought that maybe she'd be gone after that incident, but it seems as if he likes her. I almost threw up when they kept showing the foam in the corner of her mouth.

As for Robert, I think it's really sad that they made him peddle that bike to the store knowing his physical condition. They could be liable for anything that happens to him as a result. This is my first season tuning in, is Robert's condition due to his size only? Sometimes it could be the other way around and a condition could cause someone to gain weight.
Without knowing for sure, I would bet a lot of money that all contestants sign some sort of waiver stating that FOX and Ramsay are not liable for any injuries sustained while they're on the show.

I'm not a lawyer either, so I don't even know if something like that would stand up in court, but I can't imagine they'd be stupid enough to make a gigantic guy with a history of heart problems pedal a bike up a hill.
Old 08-20-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also regarding Robert, don't you think he'd do damn near anything to get his weight under control? We'll see what happens next week, but this could potentially be twice now that he's not only ruined his chance at accomplishing his dream, but also almost dying.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.