Royal Pains (USA) - Series Thread

Old 06-03-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Royal Pains -- New USA Series -- "Pilot" -- 6/4/09

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

The young and recently fired Dr. Hank Lawson (Mark Feuerstein) stumbles into a new career as a concierge doctor to the privileged denizens of the Hamptons in the series premiere. Hank's ambitious brother (Paulo Costanzo) assists this new endeavor, providing encouragement and financial advice along the way.

Looking forward to this as well. FYI, the Pilot is 77 minutes. If your DVR hasn't caught this, please be sure to pad.
Old 06-03-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Royal Pains -- New USA Series -- "Pilot" -- 6/4/09

This looks interesting. Maybe he can get Constance Zimmer to guest for a Good Morning Miami reunion.
Old 06-04-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We'll give it a shot. Looks pretty quirky. We like quirky.
Old 06-04-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

It's trying a little too hard, but it is a pilot afterall.

"You look like Jesus and Patrick Dempsy had a kid, and that kid got sick."
"I have no money, no job, and my Saab is older than you."

Some nice one liners, but the diagnosis scene was just.. brutally corny but it is shaping up to be Burn Notice MD. I'm a fan of the women on this show, seriously, hot.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-04-09 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-04-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I thought this show was decent enough and I'll continue watching the series. Not the best thing I've ever seen but it seems like there is potential to make for a fairly interesting show.
Old 06-04-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark Feuerstein must have made a deal with the devil to get this many chances at TV shows.

Recognized April from America's Next Top Model as one of the girls that the doc unimpressed at the party.
Old 06-05-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was pretty good, about what I expected. So far, not as good as Monk, Psych, In Plain Sight, or Burn Notice, but definitely worthy for future viewing. I'm assuming he'll branch out from medical emergencies into solving murders and stuff like that.
Old 06-05-09, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wasnt the brother on 'joey' with matt leblanc?

i sort-of liked it. going to give it another week or 2.
Old 06-05-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by siddd5
wasnt the brother on 'joey' with matt leblanc?
Yup!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0182455/
Old 06-05-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i liked it
Old 06-05-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I thought the brother made the show. The main character, not so much--just no real personality (as of yet), but I'm going to give it some time for sure.
Old 06-05-09, 06:42 PM

I find it interesting that three of USA's shows star thin, dark-haired white men who look like they were ripped off of magazine covers (Psych, Burn Notice now Royal Pains). Maybe they think they've found a formula that works. I wish they'd change it up a bit.
Old 06-05-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed it.
Old 06-05-09, 07:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

I liked it.
Old 06-05-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I like RichC2's characterization of this series as Burn Notice, M.D. I understand that a pilot episode is basically designed to explain the premise for a series and introduce us to the characters, but for some reason this actually felt like a pilot. It's like I could tick along mentally with a list of scenes that were deemed necessary (show he cares, show him losing his gig, show him down and out, introduce brother and new location, introduce to his Robin Masters/Higgins, show him return to form but resist then accept). Very paint-by-numbers. Still, it has promise and I'm going to be watching Burn Notice anyway so I suspect I'll watch it anyway and hope it turns out well.
Old 06-05-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

^ I was thinking the same thing with regards to a Pilot checklist. Establish the character, get the character where he needs to be, show him working his magic, show that he's needed, give him a reason to stay, introduce a love interest, and a "throw down" comment to close it off ("You're going to get what you deserve", " You're in over your head", "You have no idea what you're in for.", "Good luck, you're going to need it.", etc; )

It was extremely paint by numbers, but likable so I'll likely keep watching it. It's not like there is anything better at 10 pm Thursday during the summer.
Old 06-06-09, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk God

I thought this was a great pilot. After the 77 minutes ended, I literally wanted more.

I thought there were alot of fun and quirky characters. I haven't seen alot of Feuerstein's previous efforts, but I thought he was solid as Hank. Paulo Costanzo was definitely the highlight as the brother.

But oh man, if you love eye candy, the woman on this show are amazing. Hank's ex-fiancee was smoking hot, loved the girl that Hank saved and the Hospital Administrator is gorgeous and I think she has some good chemistry with Hank. We'll see where that goes. Even the Indian Girl who plays Hank's PA is not bad either.

But eye candy aside, I think this show is a great compliment to Burn Notice and a good addition to USA. I was thoroughly entertained. I just hope they can keep it up.
Old 06-06-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it. I remember the lead from a recurring role he had on Once & Again, and he makes a fine lead here.

The only thing I thought was contrived was how resistant he was to take the concierge doctor job. After they set it up that he had no job, no money, and literally no prospects in NYC, you would have thought he would have leapt at the opportunity that showed up in his lap. His protesting went on far too long, I thought. Other than that, I thought it was great.

I must have missed the scene where he first met the hospital administrator. I first remember her when he was helping her into her car after the party, but I got the feeling they had already met. Was she among the string of girls he talked to at the party? Or did they have another meeting I missed?
Old 06-06-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I must have missed the scene where he first met the hospital administrator. I first remember her when he was helping her into her car after the party, but I got the feeling they had already met. Was she among the string of girls he talked to at the party? Or did they have another meeting I missed?
I just re-watched the scene and they definitely met for the 1st time there. She just said, "Oh hey, the Rogue Doctor. Nice work in there."
Old 06-06-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought one of the promos leading into the episode was hilarious when Michael Weston mailed Hank some sun glasses and C-4 to welcome him.
Old 06-08-09, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in, started kinda slow, but picked up the pace towards the end. Looking forward to the rest of the season
Old 06-08-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Still, it has promise and I'm going to be watching Burn Notice anyway so I suspect I'll watch it anyway and hope it turns out well.
Which is exactly what USA hopes you will do by moving Burn Notice ti 9pm!

I enjoyed it enough. Between this and The Listener in the same timeslot, this is the clear winner.
Old 06-08-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I thought one of the promos leading into the episode was hilarious when Michael Weston mailed Hank some sun glasses and C-4 to welcome him.
I like when USA does crossover promos like that. When In Plain Sight started, there was a promo with Big Show welcoming Mary to the neighborhood, then asking to use her bathroom.
Old 06-08-09, 03:16 PM

I enjoyed the pilot a lot. I am not crazy about the brother, though. I swear Hank looks like he could be Tom Jones' son. Divya adds a lot to the show, I like her- but I have no idea how long this show is going to last given the premise.
Old 06-08-09, 03:21 PM

I was a fan of the brother actually, it's very funny to have their back and forth between the one track mind of the brother and the more calm Hank.
I'm interested in what they are going to do in the Hampton's too since there's so much money and so many crazy things that could be going on for Hank to attend to...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.