Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Top Gear - Series 13 discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Top Gear - Series 13 discussion

The nicest thing I think of this week (Episode 5) was the music selection was pretty good.

I wanted to like the challenge/ice track segment, but it fell short in the end. Plus since it made a call back to Big Rig challenge, I found myself thinking more about that segment. Now that was entertaining.

Marginal Top Gear is still better than most TV, but this Series 13 has been very uninspired so far.
Old 07-20-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Adboy151
Marginal Top Gear is still better than most TV, but this Series 13 has been very uninspired so far.
Agreed, although I would say Sienna was the best part about the episode. Of course the length of that segment made it uninspired as well. I wonder if the live interviews are only 5 minutes as well.
Old 07-20-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, Superman07.

I usually like the used car bits, but this one didn't seem to have much of a point. The ice racing probably sounded much better on paper, but even heavy editing couldn't make 15mph sloppy racing look good.

I will say the news wasn't bad this week. And I mean exactly that, it was not "bad", which is unusual for this series. "The Jaaag" bit was actually funny.

Speaking of the Jaaag. Jeremy said "Sitting in the M5 is like sitting in a laptop, but with the Jag all I've got is a steering wheel and some pedals", but in the same shot it looks like it has a sat nav/computer screen in the dash, one of those "iDive" like control knobies and a button covered steering wheel.
Old 07-20-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmansir
I agree, Superman07.

I usually like the used car bits, but this one didn't seem to have much of a point. The ice racing probably sounded much better on paper, but even heavy editing couldn't make 15mph sloppy racing look good.

I will say the news wasn't bad this week. And I mean exactly that, it was not "bad", which is unusual for this series. "The Jaaag" bit was actually funny.

Speaking of the Jaaag. Jeremy said "Sitting in the M5 is like sitting in a laptop, but with the Jag all I've got is a steering wheel and some pedals", but in the same shot it looks like it has a sat nav/computer screen in the dash, one of those "iDive" like control knobies and a button covered steering wheel.
I actually feel like the news has been the best to date, and in fact one of the highlights of the series so far. Odd too because in the past it didn't work out too well.

Maybe all the gadgets are hidden away if you don't want to see them?

I think he said something along the lines of sitting on a big dog too. I was waiting for him to do that since he walked over and sat on a pile of rocks a few episodes back.
Old 07-21-09, 11:14 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

I enjoyed this episode, a lot, love when they go to France.
Thought the ice racing was cool, liked seeing them try and get up the hill to the track
Panis was a good sport, those guys were awesome going around the top gear fellas.

And I liked that May won the race.
Old 07-21-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone watching this in England... is it in HD yet?

BBC America keeps touting that they're going to have Top Gear in HD on their new BBC America HD channel, but the only thing I'm aware of being in HD was the Polar Special.
Old 07-21-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the Polar Special was the only one filmed in HD to date? The regular broadcasts are at least widescreen (I'll assume 480p - or maybe 540 since it's euro?).

Meanwhile HOT - http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/21/s...-for-top-gear/ I'm gonna take the GF to go see the proposal just because of this!

Meanwhile from episode 5 it turns out the "ticket" during the news segment was fake (not sure if the hosts knew).
Old 07-28-09, 11:12 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Enjoyed the auction in this episode. I liked May's car the best.

Classic Citroen, how can you go wrong..

And how about the SIARPC? Killer
Old 07-29-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fairly good episode. It actually felt a bit short. I did find the dinosaur bit very odd and eventually a little annoying though. Who was James' co-pilot? I thought that was one of the most fun SIARPCs in a long while since it seems like a genuinely honest conversation that Jeremy would enjoy even off camera.
Old 07-29-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
Who was James' co-pilot?
Google "Madison Welch." You'll be glad you did.
Old 07-31-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I found this on youtube. It could air soon on Top Gear (maybe on the last show of the series.)
THIS A SPOILER FOR SIARPC SEGMENT. Its not the actual show, just a behind the scene shot. If you want to see who it is, click on the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1B5xH3_6HQ
Old 08-03-09, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, series 13 is over and while it definitely didn't go out with a bang, it did go out with a pretty good episode.

Hammond's review of the VXR8 and flashy El Camino was pretty good. Richard really seemed to be enjoying himself.

I really enjoyed the VW commercial segment. The only bit that felt really hammy was the bit when May and Clarkson were show "directing" one of the spots. Other than that it was genuinely funny. They even sneaked in a pretty good review of the car.

News was OK. The only time I rolled my eyes was when James said he didn't believe in electricity and then made the asparagus pee joke. When he said that I thought for a moment he had accidentally grabbed Clarkson's script.

The Cool Wall could have stayed in the shed. Although I did like Hammond's crack at Jeremy's hair as he went up in the scissor lift.

Leno was pretty good as the SIARPC. I got the feeling he was a bit gutted by his mediocre lap time. BTW, if you haven't done it do yourself a favor and check out his site jaylenosgarage.com

The ending had some amazing cinematography, but also felt a little pompous. I didn't like them going out on that and would have preferred a wrapup in the studio.

Overall, I would say Series 13 was a mixed bag, bordering on a disappointment.
Old 08-03-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The final two episodes of the series really redeemed this one. Loved the auction and subsequent race in Mallorca in episode 6, and then almost everything in episode 7, although I could have done without the Cool Wall, which always seems totally random. Both SIARPC guests were great as well.

Loved the shots and music of the ending, but didn't care much for the melodrama about it being the end of an era or whatever. Just reminds me too much of the faux outrage you see on cable news here sometimes. The Vantage is a fantastic car, and companies will keep on making cars that inspired by it in the future.
Old 08-04-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For anyone who's interested, the music during the Vantage piece was Brian Eno's "An Ending (Ascent)" from his "For All Mankind" soundtrack.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 08-04-09 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well that last episode certainly wasn't great. I loved that they called out Scuderia Spider buyers on the eve of the 458 Italia reveal.

I really enjoyed the commercial segment and the final product. All he little things that ended up in it were great: bikini, coffin and explosion. However, I can't help but feel the dueling commercials and the cool wall were tacked on as an afterthought for filler. What ever happened to the airport vehicle challenge that was shown in the 13x01 preview?!
Old 08-04-09, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Loved the commercial challenge -- especially the ripped-off arm spot. (And for seeing too much of myself in the red-headed agency guy. I've had to be that guy way too many times in pitch meetings.)

Last edited by Adboy151; 08-04-09 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Comments over on TG.com indicate that in addition to the airport vehicle race that was shot and not shown there was also a R8 v ZR-01 segment that was shot and not shown.