Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Top 4 -- 5/9, 5/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Based on Tonight's performance, who do you think will go home?
Joshua
0%
Jessica
31.25%
Hollie
62.50%
Phillip
6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-05-09

We're in the home stretch. Top 4

Tonight's Song List:

California Dreamin':

Creedence Clearwater Revival "Have You Ever Seen The Rain"

Etta James, "Steal Away"

Josh Groban, "You Raise Me Up"

Journey, "Faithfully"

Songs You Wish You Wrote:

Jennifer Holliday, "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going"

Bonnie Raitt, "I Can't Make You Love Me"

Damien Rice, "Volcano"

James Brown, "It's a Man's Man's World"

Duets

The Bangles, "Eternal Flame"

Maroon 5, "This Love"
Old 05-09-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: American Idol -- Top 4 -- 5/9, 5/10

I so hoped we had heard the last of that infernal Dreamgirls song. It actually makes me angry.
Old 05-09-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just two more weeks.

Really, I don't know what to say with regard to who will go home. Hollie should be the one to go home, but she has surprised us each week so far and anything can happen this late in the season. Who are the Elise Testone and Skylar Laine fans voting for?

And my favorite rendition of the And I Am Telling You song - by Normal Gentle (embedding was disabled):

http://youtu.be/tON9hju29Ek
Old 05-10-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

The problem with "And I Am Telling You", -and why it can be spoofed, -is that it has been ruined by talent contests; its a "Go-To" song to show off verbal gymnastics and has very little to do with the song's meaning. Its become the equivalent of Juggling. Jessica did the song tonight for the same reason she did it in the clip when she was seven; while it was technically precise I just can't feel much other than Jessica wants a Standing O. That is the problem I have with under-age singers like Jessica and Holliie.

I wish on one of their Results Shows "Idol" was self-aware enough to pull out a phone book and have the finalists actually sing it.
Old 05-10-12, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hollie is the only one I like, but I think she's going home. She made 2 very difficult song choices. Jessica has such a grating, unpleasant voice. Phillip is a farce to me. He was absolutely horrid on the CCR song but admittedly much better on the second. I just think he's very limited and he doesn't sing very well -- he covers for it by pretending that's his style. Joshua is OK and I think he's winning it.

This has been the most boring season so far. Mainly because there's no one who came close to being a "rocker". They have been few and far between. And no, just because Elise sang Led Zep doesn't make her anywhere near one.
Old 05-10-12, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did like the crazy hot chick playing the sax during Phillip's CCR song.
Old 05-10-12, 07:19 AM
Banned

Hollie's cuteness factor may save her yet again. When they allow her to talk with that puuh-fik accent, that just ups the quotient.
Old 05-10-12, 08:24 AM

That was just a one upmanship of screaming at me last night. They are so talented, no doubt, but seriously, just felt baraged with screaming. I guess that is why I enjoy Phillips. I know he doesnt have range or a big voice, but I rather be entertained then just screamed at.
Old 05-10-12, 03:26 PM

I hope Hollie goes home tonight.
Old 05-10-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Joshua was awesome last night.

IMO, he sealed the deal for getting into the final 2.

I enjoyed Hollie's 1st performance, but her second performance was pretty meh.

As far as Jessica goes, she was good, but I am bored to tears with that Dream Girls song. Now that I think about it, I'm also starting to think that maybe it will be hard to market her as a recording artist, considering her age.

Phillip was good, but compared to Joshua, his vocals are pretty weak.

I'm thinking that Hollie will be going home.
Old 05-10-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

No surprise on who's going home. She did give a very good "going home" performance. She showed that she belonged in the top 4.

Joshua should win it. Not sure if he will...but he's the better of the final 3. Too bad I still don't live in San Diego. I could stop by for Jessica's homecoming.
Old 05-10-12, 09:49 PM

I haven't really been paying much attention to this season until the past couple weeks, but the judges are a little over the top on Joshua. As I read on another board, you would have thought he was the combination of Elvis and Michael Jackson only 10x better, and his music was so awesome that it cured cancer, lol. I can barely listen to him sing, it's so over the top and almost grating and times, and then to listen to the judges talk about the best performances ever seemingly after every song he sings just makes it worse.

Holly has the best 'radio' voice in my opinion but she constantly screws herself by picking the wrong song that has too many low parts which she sucks at. I don't know what her though process is, "I'm awesome at singing high and powerful, let me pick a song that has neither". I think she's the only one who could actually be a star after the show someday, she just needs someone to make song decisions for her and develop her somewhat raw talent (as I think she has the highest ceiling of anyone, just not at that point yet).
Old 05-10-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
No surprise on who's going home. She did give a very good "going home" performance. She showed that she belonged in the top 4.

Joshua should win it. Not sure if he will...but he's the better of the final 3. Too bad I still don't live in San Diego. I could stop by for Jessica's homecoming.
I agree. I felt The Climb was a perfect "going home" choice. The lyrics (and her performance) brought a lot of added meaning to the moment. I also liked how she hugged everyone. Very classy exit.
Old 05-10-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

So how come Phillip get a pass on the Ford music videos? I've never seen this happen before. Is he a Chevy guy or something?
Old 05-10-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eddie W
So how come Phillip get a pass on the Ford music videos? I've never seen this happen before. Is he a Chevy guy or something?
I was wondering that too. Maybe he wasn't feeling well. I was expecting Ryan to say something because it was pretty obvious he wasn't there.
Old 05-10-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So Jennifer got her wish, I see. I can no longer stand her as a judge. She has no clue what it means to be impartial.

Jessica is really in the top three? I can't understand how she made it into the top ten.
Old 05-11-12, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W

Medical reasons. He has some kidney problems. Early in the season, they were actually worried he would have to quit the show because of it. Apparently, he is going to have to have surgery after the finale.
Old 05-11-12, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I was wondering that too. Maybe he wasn't feeling well. I was expecting Ryan to say something because it was pretty obvious he wasn't there.
That's been the excuse, -that he's too ill to do them (they generally do them on Sunday, I believe). To protect his privacy, they've never really been that clear on the state of his health. Personally, I think they should have to carry around a cardboard cut-out of him during the commercial, since not being in the commercial gives him a certain advantage in terms of image.
Old 05-11-12, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Not surprised at all who the final 3 is.

Hollie went out with lots of class. I hope she manages to have a good career.

Was really surprised to see Joshua balling.

Who were they kidding thinking they could pass off J-Lo's little performance as live. It was so obviously pre-taped. There was no way she could change her clothes, get her hair done and have them clear the stage that fast.
Old 05-11-12, 02:52 AM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11188832-post22.html (04-13-12, 09:51 AM)
The final three are Phillip, Jessica and Joshua with Phillip going out third. Jessica wins. Her voice and talent is beyond this show.
Voting-wise, there's really no way to guess who will win of these three. I'm kinda hoping for Joshua now after he killed that James Brown song.
Old 05-11-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm curious how social media can measure the popularity of the contestants and, possibly, the eventual winner. Here are the number of Twitter "followers" and Facebook "likes":

Last to leave Hollie = 98k Twitter, 41k Facebook

Joshua = 93k Twitter, 50k Facebook
Phillip = 272k Twitter, 71k Facebook
Jessica = 307k Twitter, 186k Facebook

So, looking at the numbers, Joshua should be the next to leave.
Old 05-11-12, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Philip had this locked up a while ago, and I still lean towards him as the favorite, but it seems like he may have peaked too early.
Old 05-11-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm curious how social media can measure the popularity of the contestants and, possibly, the eventual winner. Here are the number of Twitter "followers" and Facebook "likes":

Last to leave Hollie = 98k Twitter, 41k Facebook

Joshua = 93k Twitter, 50k Facebook
Phillip = 272k Twitter, 71k Facebook
Jessica = 307k Twitter, 186k Facebook

So, looking at the numbers, Joshua should be the next to leave.
American Idol is immensely popular in the Philippines. All the idol winners, etc have traveled there to do shows, etc. Jessica is getting a lot of support from the Philippines. I think the only one I would be shocked going would be p2.

Ryan also did not say that Hollie/P2 were in the bottom 2 last night ... they pulled the same thing with Scotty last season and Scotty led throughout the entire season.