Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol Top 3, May 12/13, Judges Pick

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will go home, and who will win AI '09?
Adam Lambert will go home, Kris Allen will win
9.43%
Adam Lambert will go home, Danny Gokey will win
11.32%
Danny Gokey will go home, Adam Lambert will win
32.08%
Danny Gokey will go home, Kris Allen will win
15.09%
Kris Allen will go home, Adam Lambert will win
26.42%
Kris Allen will go home, Danny Gokey will win
5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each singer will sing two songs, one being a judges pick and the second being the singer's choice. The judge's choices were announced during their hometown visits, these songs are:

Adam Lambert: Either U2's "One" or Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game", chosen by Simon.
Danny Gokey: Terrence Trent D'Arby's "Dance Little Sister", chosen by Paula.
Kris Allen: One Republic's "Apologize", chosen by Randy & Kara working together.

Simon was recently on the Oprah Winfrey show with Susan Boyle (Britain's Got Talent), he reportedly said that "his money" was on Lambert because he is fearless and unique.

I'm pretty sure that there won't be a mentor this week.

Anyway, the poll is a little different this week. Who do you think will be going home, and who will win?

Last edited by Heat; 05-12-09 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-12-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: American Idol Top 3, May 12/13, Judges Pick

go Kris! I know he will get the bus tonight but I hope he will sing well and upset the Gokey/Lambert finale they had planned since week 1. Kris is the huge underdog and a much better musician than Karaoke Gokey but the judges have a script and the greyhounds are coming from Kris. I hope he slays them tonight.

ETA: HAHA! I just read what Kris' choice is going to be.
Spoiler:
Man, it is a big FU to the producers and the judges who screwed him over with clearing songs and singing slots! I like him more and more every day.
Spoiler:
HEARTLESS by Kanye West

Last edited by chowderhead; 05-12-09 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-12-09, 05:26 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I'm going to throw a penny into the well and say Danny Gokey will go home, Kris Allen will win.

Old 05-12-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I'm going to throw a penny into the well and say Danny Gokey will go home, Kris Allen will win.

This.
Old 05-12-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With Gokey, you have to remember that his normal style of music is gospel / christian music, so he's going to have the support of a lot of religious people out there in addition to people who like his lounge singer style. And American Idol is the type of family show I can envision a lot of religious people watching.

"Jebadiah, pick up yon telephone and dial thee for Gokey"
Old 05-12-09, 06:46 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bad feeling Gokey will win it all.
Old 05-12-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Re: Adam Lambert's version of U2's "One". Christ almighty. And I don't mean that in a good way. That was just.....wow. One of the most painful things I've ever witnessed.
Old 05-12-09, 08:12 PM

Ok, here's my opinion: I liked Gokey and Allen tonight. Hope they are the final 2 next week. Have not liked Lambert in weeks and tonight backed that up yet again. Between having the sweet spot of always going last and the judges kissing his ass after every performance, I now want him to go down tomorrow night more than ever. His version of One was not great but that performance of Cryin was absolute garbage. I mean, to me it was total karaoke minus a couple of blood chilling screams. Yet the judges all prasied it............AGAIN. This show is really starting to piss me right the fuck off. I have NEVER seen any contestant pimped by the show and judges more than Adam has. Too bad his singing sucks. Just my opinion. I had to vent. Thanks for listening. I'm out.
Old 05-12-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Adam has such a nice voice when he just sings normally, but he always has to do the shrieking thing....it hurts my ears after awhile
Old 05-12-09, 08:19 PM

Really hope Kris makes it through. He needs all the votes he can get to squeak past Gokey.
Old 05-12-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I thought Adam's rendition of "One" was awful. The tune/melody sounded like shit and I am sick of these judges going down on him after every performance.

I liked Kara early in the season, but she has gotten annoying as hell the last few months. The arrogant schtick works for Simon - not for her.
Old 05-12-09, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by TwineTime
Really hope Kris makes it through. He needs all the votes he can get to squeak past Gokey.

Of the three, Kris is the best. And is what I think an American Idol should be. I fucking hate Lambert. If you didn't notice.
Old 05-12-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think an American Idol should be a coffee shop calibur guitarist/singer as well.
Old 05-12-09, 08:30 PM

When the alternative is the screechy mess that is Adam Lambert, yup.
Old 05-12-09, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.
I liked Kara early in the season, but she has gotten annoying as hell the last few months. The arrogant schtick works for Simon - not for her.
Yeah, that was weird when she was trying to up Simon for the song choice while praising Adam.
Old 05-12-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No, I agree. I think all of them should be sent home. Adam should be severely beaten first, though.
Old 05-12-09, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The judges comments on the second set of songs actually set it up for a Kris/Adam finale and that is how I hope it goes. Kris did great on both of his songs and I really liked Adam for a change (on Crying). Finally we may have a chance to get Gokey out of this thing.
Old 05-12-09, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

What a thoroughly mediocre night for a top 3 (really missed Allison tonight). The only performance I truly liked was Kris' 2nd.

You have to hand it to Lambert though. He managed to perfectly integrate everything I like about him with everything I can't stand about about him all in One performance.

Kris is the only one who has used this competition to grow as an artist. His first few weeks on the show I didn't even care who he was. Now, he's been my favorite guy for weeks and weeks. Even though the Adam coronation is almost a foregone conclusion I just hope we get another week for Kris.
Old 05-12-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by freshticles
I think an American Idol should be a coffee shop calibur guitarist/singer as well.
You just described Taylor Hicks.

Kris' performance of Heartless was amazing, one of my favorites of the past several seasons. He's a huge talent. He'll be the most successful of the three.
Old 05-12-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You just described Taylor Hicks.

Kris' performance of Heartless was amazing, one of my favorites of the past several seasons. He's a huge talent. He'll be the most successful of the three.
I hhad never heard Heartless before... But I like it a lot. I HATE Kanye, which means Kris must have done well.
Old 05-12-09, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if you hate Kanye, he did write the song, so at least give him credit for that.

I passed on the show tonight, as I do most nights. I just catch the performances on YouTube or American Idol Website later on; I hate wasting an hour.

That being said, I just saw Kris Allen's performance of Heartless...it was amazing. I really hope he can pull through and reach the finals. Nothing would make me happier than to see the chosen one fall or that smug look get wiped right off Danny's face. Plus, Kris is good and he seems like an all-around nice guy. He hasn't been my favourite, but that's just because he is pretty low key. I've loved some of his performances and been kinda blah about others. I hope we see him again next week.
Old 05-12-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lets hope Danny and Adam cancel each other out and Kris is left standing.
Old 05-12-09, 11:27 PM

Kris' Heartless was the only memorable and great sounding perfomance of the night. I had to turn the volume WAY down on Adam's Cryin'. But the judges acting like Adams is the second coming and Simon begging for his votes is just too much. They must have a shitload of already-printed Adam AI coke cups and t-shirts they're worried about.
Old 05-12-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

god fucking dammit adam QUIT FUCKING YELLING AT ME

kris allen's cds will sell a lot more than adam's, that heartless remake was brilliant
Old 05-12-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Re: Adam Lambert's version of U2's "One". Christ almighty. And I don't mean that in a good way. That was just.....wow. One of the most painful things I've ever witnessed.
Agreed. I'm a part-time watcher of the show. I've seen maybe half of this season, and that was by far the worst thing I've endured in the shows I've watched. It was bad enough to listen to it, but then to hear the judges praise it. Awful. Horrible.

My take on Lambert is this. His voice is impressive. It's quite amazing. But I sure as HELL would not want to listen to an album full of that, or attend a 2-hour concert of that. For the most part, he's okay in small doses, but that's it. And what he did to one of the world's greatest songs was a travesty.

Honestly, of the three remaining, the only one I could ever envision sitting and listening to a full-length album is Kris Allen. Not saying I would, just that he's the only one of the three I'd even consider it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.