Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you care where your American Idol's tongue has been? Lambert's "ungay" agenda

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Do you care where your American Idol's tongue has been? Lambert's "ungay" agenda

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting article taking hate mongers to task for making Idol about sexuality and not about talent. I don't care if he's gay, he's the best.

http://tiny.cc/RabidIdol
Old 05-12-09, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Do you care where your American Idol's tongue has been? Lambert's "ungay" agenda

Having seen his version of a Johnny Cash song on The Soup, I doubt he's the best, but not having seen one episode of this show ever, and the fact that Taylor Hicks won, mediocrity rules.
Old 05-12-09, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Do you care where your American Idol's tongue has been? Lambert's "ungay" agenda

Wait, so there's guys on Idol who aren't gay?
Old 05-12-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To me, it's irrelevant that he's gay. I just can't stand his singing which is more like screaming and his whole look.
Old 05-12-09, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe he should come out in drag and sing I will survive. That'll blow the ppl away.
Old 05-12-09, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by big whoppa
To me, it's irrelevant that he's gay. I just can't stand his singing which is more like screaming and his whole look.

THIS.

When he stops screaming at me and actually sings a song, I'll start paying attention. Until then, not paying attention.

I also find it unfair that EW did a cover and I'm assuming a full article about him. That sort of stuff shouldn't be allowed until after the voting is over.
Old 05-12-09, 07:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
THIS.

When he stops screaming at me and actually sings a song, I'll start paying attention. Until then, not paying attention.

I also find it unfair that EW did a cover and I'm assuming a full article about him. That sort of stuff shouldn't be allowed until after the voting is over.
We got a free 6-month sub to EW & I read the article yesterday. I would estimate that around 50% of the piece was devoted to his alleged (or assumed) gayness rather than his actual ability. The author seems to decry the wealth of background material devoted to others (Allen, Gokey,) while surmising that Lambert's personal life remains hidden because of a fear that it would negatively impact his vote tolls.

I did have to laugh at the author's (who openly admits to being a "gay fan") assumption that anyone who suggests that Lambert is too "Broadway musical" or "too theatrical" is being homophobic.

I always thought those criticisms were directed at his over-the-top flamboyance on some numbers and his tendency to "push" the vocals & screech (witness Slash's advice for him to stay in the lower registers...advice which was ignored, of course). I think Stephen Tyler, Mick Jagger (and for that matter, most contemporary male pop singers) tend to be over the top vocally, but I never associated that with "homophobic" thoughts. Guess I missed that sensitivity training session.
Old 05-12-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You've clearly missed them all up till now, while spoil a perfect record?

AI has been pretty homophobic since its inception, filled with closet cases and f@g-baiting insults at every level. Contrast this to its "mother show" in the UK where gay contestants compete regularly and win occasionally without lying or hiding their orientation.

Of course it's a cultural difference, and AI has always been designed to appeal to America's Stupidest (among others, of course.) The fact that this guy is only *half* in the closet is progress, I suppose, but for me it still sounds like the only interesting thing about him or the show.

While it's unfair to say that anyone who calls him "too Broadway musical" or "too theatrical" is being homophobic, it's a fair criticism to say that those are *often* used on the show as euphemisms for "too gay".

Last edited by adamblast; 05-12-09 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-12-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why isn't there a poll with the following four options : "Why the heck would I care what a law-abiding citizen does in their free time" , "I'm an intolerant douche, and this queer is going to hell!" , "American Idol Sucks" , and "Twikoff". Of course, then I would be torn between option one and three. :\

Last edited by JohnSlider; 05-12-09 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-12-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ardathbey
Interesting article taking hate mongers to task for making Idol about sexuality and not about talent. I don't care if he's gay, he's the best.

http://tiny.cc/RabidIdol

Hate Mongers are good at that.
It shouldn't be about the sex. It should be about the talent.
Just like Gay Marriage shouldn't be an issue if it isn't hurting anyone else.

Now we know why Clay Aiken denied it for years.
Old 05-12-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by adamblast
You've clearly missed them all up till now, while spoil a perfect record?

AI has been pretty homophobic since its inception, filled with closet cases and f@g-baiting insults at every level. Contrast this to its "mother show" in the UK where gay contestants compete regularly and win occasionally without lying or hiding their orientation.

Of course it's a cultural difference, and AI has always been designed to appeal to America's Stupidest (among others, of course.) The fact that this guy is only *half* in the closet is progress, I suppose, but for me it still sounds like the only interesting thing about him or the show.

While it's unfair to say that anyone who calls him "too Broadway musical" or "too theatrical" is being homophobic, it's a fair criticism to say that those are *often* used on the show as euphemisms for "too gay".

You're too sensitive.
Old 05-12-09, 02:49 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

While Adam Lambert may be the best remaining contestant for a television show, how many people would actually BUY an album of his fucking 80's throwback screeching? Not I.
Old 05-12-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll admit that I have only seen this tool on clips on The Soup, but he sounds, looks, and acts like a douche. I mean, look at that fucking guy.
Old 05-12-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I'll admit that I have only seen this tool on clips on The Soup, but he sounds, looks, and acts like a douche. I mean, look at that fucking guy.
But aren't they all pretty much? Which is why neither you nor I appear to be fans of the show at all.
Old 05-12-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
But aren't they all pretty much? Which is why neither you nor I appear to be fans of the show at all.
But at least most of them don't look like douches. I just want to punch this guy thru the TV screen.
Old 05-12-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld
You're too sensitive.
Yes, I'm a delicate flower.

Old 05-12-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EW is independent of "American Idol" and Fox. A little thing called the First Amendment allows them to write any sort of story they want.
Old 05-12-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
EW is independent of "American Idol" and Fox. A little thing called the First Amendment allows them to write any sort of story they want.

Then they should have played fair and had all three of them on the cover.
Old 05-12-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Look, I could give a rat's ass if Lambert is gay. Just like I don't care if Clay Aiken is gay. What I do care about is talent. Which I don't think either has. Lambert is just way too over the top. Not only with his singing style (the screeching, yelling and that tongue sticking out), but also his physical style. From the caked on make-up to that hideous wardrobe. And although I think Aiken has a decent voice, he's just so painful to watch too. Plus his music is not the type I like to listen to. But back to Lambert. Let him win. He'll release one album that might sell 300K. The second will sell half that, maybe 1/4. Then he'll be dropped from his label and gone from our memories. Hopefully.
Old 05-12-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think it's unfair but it's another example of how fucking out of touch EW has been lately...give me a fucking break.
Old 05-12-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Adam Lambert is like Sebastian bach with a Pete Wentz / Michael Knight makeover in the Frankenstein monster's body.
Old 05-12-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just dumbfounded how the judges (especially Simon) think Adam can just about 'walk on water' with regards to his singing. I don't believe there is anything wrong with my ears.
Old 05-12-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just dumbfounded how the judges (especially Simon) think Adam can just about 'walk on water' with regards to his singing. I don't believe there is anything wrong with my ears.
Me either. Until now. By any chance did you just have the misfortune of hearing Adam's rendition of U2's "One" !? I just wanted to stick ice picks in both ears.
Old 05-12-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Me either. Until now. By any chance did you just have the misfortune of hearing Adam's rendition of U2's "One" !? I just wanted to stick ice picks in both ears.
Yes, Simon gave it a standing ovation which he has never done for an active Idol contestant, AFAIK.
Old 05-12-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, Simon gave it a standing ovation which he has never done for an active Idol contestant, AFAIK.

Yeah. I'm just dumbfounded by the judge's foaming of the mouth for this guy. And please my last response in this week's "A.I." thread for more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.