Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy season 6 and 7 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy season 6 and 7 questions

I'm halfway through season 7 of Buffy and I've had a few questions on my mind.

1. What's with the lack of Giles? Was Anthony Stewart Head ready to leave the show? Because he seems to pop up every couple of episodes.

2. There was never an episode where Andrew had demons attack the play or whatever happened was there? I don't remember him from before and I'm guessing that's all part of the joke of nobody else remembering him either.

3. This one is really driving me crazy. Buffy died and came back at the beginning of season 6. Why isn't there a 3rd slayer in play now? I read somewhere that the slayer lineage was passed on to Faith so it would have to be Faith to die for another slayer to be chosen. But Buffy keeps telling the potentials that when she dies one of them will be chosen. I guess Buffy could just be wrong but I hate that it has never been addressed at all. I kept waiting for someone to bring it up during season 6 but it never happened. I started expecting Giles to show up with a 3rd slayer but that never happened either.

Just a few things I've been wondering about. Damn I'm gonna miss Buffy and Angel when I finish these.
Old 04-25-09, 10:09 PM

Re: Buffy season 6 and 7 questions

Originally Posted by Super J
I'm halfway through season 7 of Buffy and I've had a few questions on my mind.

1. What's with the lack of Giles? Was Anthony Stewart Head ready to leave the show? Because he seems to pop up every couple of episodes.
I believe that during S6, he went off to do something else (plays, maybe? I don't remember for sure). As far as S7 goes, I personally found it to be written rather sloppily, and a lot of his coming and going has to do mainly with a plot mystery that the writers attempted to pull off:
Spoiler:
They were trying to heighten the "is Giles really dead and being impersonated by the First or not?" thing, but I always felt that it kind of fell flat

2. There was never an episode where Andrew had demons attack the play or whatever happened was there? I don't remember him from before and I'm guessing that's all part of the joke of nobody else remembering him either.
I think that was part of the joke. Unlike Warren and Jonathan, Andrew's a bit of a nobody to the viewers, which is meant to heighten his status as a nobody to the other characters.

3. This one is really driving me crazy. Buffy died and came back at the beginning of season 6. Why isn't there a 3rd slayer in play now? I read somewhere that the slayer lineage was passed on to Faith so it would have to be Faith to die for another slayer to be chosen. But Buffy keeps telling the potentials that when she dies one of them will be chosen. I guess Buffy could just be wrong but I hate that it has never been addressed at all. I kept waiting for someone to bring it up during season 6 but it never happened. I started expecting Giles to show up with a 3rd slayer but that never happened either.
I personally chalk it up to odd writing. Unfortunately, the seventh season of the show is more than a little sloppy. It's easier to watch on DVD, without several weeks between episodes, but the first time around was rough. Thing is, the fact that nobody was called after she died at the end of S5 is the reason why people have settled on the idea that the line runs through Faith now.

Just a few things I've been wondering about. Damn I'm gonna miss Buffy and Angel when I finish these.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-25-09, 10:09 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Tony Head wanted to spend more time with his family in the UK after Season 5, so his role was reduced to guest star (despite the fact that Giles leaving Sunnydale in Season 6 at a time when both Buffy and Willow needed him the most didn't make sense, but I digress).

2. Yeah, it's part of the joke.

3. I always assumed that the Buffy line ended (going to Kendra, and then Faith) when she "died" at the end of Season 1, which his why her death in S5 didn't call a new slayer, but I'm not sure why Buffy told the Potentials that.

Last edited by sb5; 04-25-09 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-25-09, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Super J
Actually, Andrew was the brother of the guy who sent hell hounds to attack anyone in formal wear at the Sunnydale prom, in the season 3 episode titled (naturally) "The Prom". At least that's what someone said about who he was....that's as close to an origin as they got.

Some episode in season 6 mentions that, can't remember which one.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 04-26-09 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-25-09, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally, the trio was meant to include Brad Kane's character, Tucker Wells -- as Nick Martin says, he was the character who summoned hellhounds to attack the prom. But for whatever reason, they couldn't agree on a contract with Kane, so they hired Tom Lenk and created Andrew (Tucker's younger brother) to be the third member of the trio. As Vlad and sb5 note, it's part of the joke that they keep referring to his backstory as a villain who was so unmemorable and pathetic that it didn't actually make it into an episode and that nobody remembers.
Old 04-25-09, 11:06 PM

Thanks for the fast replies. The Faith stuff makes sense but it still should have been explained. It would actually make more sense if she had lost her powers after she first died and Kendra became a slayer but then there wouldn't have been a show. Oh well, this show has been great so I'll let this slide.
Old 04-25-09, 11:36 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by sb5
1. Tony Head wanted to spend more time with his family in the UK after Season 5, so his role was reduced to guest star (despite the fact that Giles leaving Sunnydale in Season 6 at a time when both Buffy and Willow needed him the most didn't make sense, but I digress
I think that was the point, plot-wise.
Originally Posted by sb5
3. I always assumed that the Buffy line ended (going to Kendra, and then Faith) when she "died" at the end of Season 1, which his why her death in S5 didn't call a new slayer, but I'm not sure why Buffy told the Potentials that.
Yes. A slayer gets one replacement. Kendra was Buffy's.
Old 04-26-09, 12:59 AM

Yeah Anthony Head definitely needed more screentime in Seasons 6 and 7, but I see what the writers were trying to accomplish with it. And you can't deny how amazingly well-played his return is in Season 6. "I'd like to test that theory."
One of the best Buffy endings of all time!
Old 04-26-09, 01:22 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh yeah, his return was great, but still, losing him for the majority of the season hurt the show quite a bit, imo.
Old 04-26-09, 03:28 AM

I agree, at least for season 7. I'm in the minority that season 6 is my favorite season next to season 2, even with the lack of Giles.
I wish they'd buckle down and finally make the 'Ripper' movie/tv show, but I don't think it will ever happen.
Old 04-26-09, 11:48 AM

The show officially ended for me with Buffy's death at the end of season 5.
Old 04-27-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, it was Tony Head wanting to spend more time at home that caused the "him returning to England" plotline in S6 and "he might be an agent of the First so don't show him much" one in S7.

Yes, they never showed Andrew's flying monkeys attacking the play. All part of the "no one remembers you" gag.

Buffy's not officially part of the Slayer line any more. She died (for a minute) and Kendra was called. Kendra died and Faith was called. There wouldn't be a new Slayer until Faith dies.

S7 ending spoiler
Spoiler:

Now that all the Slayers are active, it's kind of moot.
Old 04-27-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
S7 ending spoiler
Spoiler:

Now that all the Slayers are active, it's kind of moot.
Technically they are "potentials", but you are correct.
Old 04-27-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Technically they are "potentials", but you are correct.
Spoiler:

They WERE potentials until the last episode when Buffy activated them all. Now technically they're all Slayers.
Old 04-27-09, 02:23 PM

As proven in ANGEL season 5 - "Damage".
Old 04-27-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I agree, that is except for OMWF.
Old 04-27-09, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I agree, that is except for OMWF.
To this day, I have never watched that episode from beginning to end.

I loathe musicals, and I have never been able to sit through the whole thing. I suppose I never will.
Old 04-28-09, 12:10 AM

To this day, I have never watched that episode from beginning to end.

I loathe musicals, and I have never been able to sit through the whole thing. I suppose I never will.
Same here. I tried a few times but there was no way in hell I was making it through that so I just checked an episode summary online.
Old 04-28-09, 12:23 AM

And to add to that, I'll make it clear that it's all musicals. I remember that musical number in Clerks II. That was a very unpleasant surprise.
Old 04-28-09, 12:53 AM

And to add to that, I'll make it clear that it's all musicals. I remember that musical number in Clerks II. That was a very unpleasant surprise.
Another same here. I am fairly broad with the types of movies I will watch but am almost instantly irritated by any musical / musical number. It has been a while since I have seen Clerks II but think I might have skipped forward once a song broke out.
Old 04-28-09, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bateman
Same here. I tried a few times but there was no way in hell I was making it through that so I just checked an episode summary online.
Such a great episode. I guess you will never know what you are missing.
Old 04-28-09, 01:25 AM

From what I have read, the some probably applies to me with Whedon's Dr. Horrible.
Old 04-28-09, 02:01 AM

I've seen enough to know full well what I'm missing, and I'm happy to miss it.

I enjoyed Giles singing the various plot lines in concert in the season 4 finale. At the same time, watching performances like that (the various Bronze gigs, the karaoke songs at Caritas on ANGEL) aren't the same thing.
Old 04-28-09, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were actually two more seasons on UPN. Maybe you didn't get UPN where ever you were at at the time. They're available on DVD.
Old 04-28-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I quite enjoyed OMWF but I feel you. My absolute least favorite episode of Scrubs is the musical one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.