Dollhouse -- "Haunted" -- 4/24/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Haunted" -- 4/24/09

Originally Posted by mikehunt
so did topher simply clone himself?
That's what I thought at first too, but he probably just made himself the perfect girlfriend.
Old 04-26-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't care for it, but didn't want to pile on. The best part of the episode for me was the FBI guy/Millie bits, rare as they were. I didn't care about the mission at all. The situation was interesting, but I didn't care for Dusku's performance and once they got into "mystery" part I was done.
Old 04-26-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very true, Dushku simply lacks the acting chops to disappear into the different roles on a weekly basis, and thus people basically are forced to focus on the side subplots to garner any entertainment value of interest for this show.
Old 04-26-09, 05:34 PM

Maybe Dushku isn't supposed to be completely disappearing into her characters? Maybe her/Echo is bleeding into them the same way she seems to retain aspects of her implants. I was on the bandwagon of Dushku not pulling off her character, but after thinking about it some more, and with the "yay" that was inserted into the final letter (sort of outside the implant's personality but obviously intentional), maybe Dushku's acting is exactly as it should be.
Old 04-26-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with you on that point and have been thinking that for awhile. I think eventually we might be talking about her like we do Shirley Manson in TSCC.
Old 04-26-09, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

they're going to implant her with a urinal profile?

Old 04-26-09, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I am not sure Topher programmed himself a girlfriend, rather just a friend. He didnt choose which doll to activate, he left that up to the head security guy.
Old 04-27-09, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

The main plotline was good in theory, but it was handled poorly. It just didn't captivate, and again, Eliza is not good. I think people are giving her too much credit as to why she doesn't disappear into roles. She hasn't shown the acting chops previously, and I don't think her injecting her personality into each assignment is intentional. She just can't pull the roles off.
Old 04-27-09, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
The main plotline was good in theory, but it was handled poorly. It just didn't captivate, and again, Eliza is not good. I think people are giving her too much credit as to why she doesn't disappear into roles. She hasn't shown the acting chops previously, and I don't think her injecting her personality into each assignment is intentional. She just can't pull the roles off.
You can tell she is acting and that takes me out every episode.
I thought it was a decent enough episode.
Always like Tahmoh's story.
Old 04-28-09, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
What is the Alpha?
Alpha is a rogue Active who escaped the Dollhouse. Due to a "composite event", all of the personalities imprinted on Alpha, along with the associated memories and skill sets, resurfaced simultaneously. In his escape, he killed several Dolls and Dollhouse staff members, including Echo's previous handler, yet he let Echo live. Though most of the Dollhouse staff have been told that he was hunted down and killed, he is actually still at large.
Old 04-28-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed the episode, but I have to reiterate what other people are saying and what I've been saying myself since early in the season - Eliza was a casting mistake. Honestly, I think the girl who plays Sierra would've been better, esp considering how much she transformed when she became Topher's geeky videogame playing girlfriend. Eliza seems like the same person no matter who she plays. But I don't think there was much choice in the matter. If I recall correctly, Joss came up with the story while lunching with Eliza and they're friends, so I guess it would've been bad for him to NOT cast her.

I will say that I think there's room for improvement though. I didn't think much of SMG in the first season of Buffy either. Actually, I never really thought as highly of her as the "supporting" cast.
Old 04-30-09, 08:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
Is it just me or is Topher cast something like Wash (on Firefly)?
I'm a bit shocked we didn't see Andrew from Buffy (S6/S7) playing Topher.
Old 04-30-09, 08:12 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Echo's story sucked. My question - why did the Asian guy go freaking nuts and try to kill Echo and the son? I get he was mad...but chasing a girl around with a shovel is not a good way to make yourself look innocent of killing your much older wife.