Spoiler:
Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This
Old 02-26-09, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 2/26/09

And here is expected, but good news!

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20090226cbs02

[02.26.09 - 08:14 AM]
CBS ORDERS TWO MORE EDITIONS OF "SURVIVOR" FOR BROADCAST DURING THE 2009-2010 SEASON
Released by CBS
[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CBS ORDERS TWO MORE EDITIONS OF "SURVIVOR" FOR BROADCAST DURING THE 2009-2010 SEASON

CBS has ordered two more editions of SURVIVOR to be broadcast during the 2009-2010 season. These will mark the 19th and 20th editions of broadcast television's longest-running reality competition series. Jeff Probst, who won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality Competition Series, will continue as host.

"SURVIVOR is one of CBS's signature series and a symbol of enduring quality and entertainment on prime time television," said Nina Tassler, President, CBS Entertainment. "Every season delivers a fresh new adventure for viewers and a time period-winning performance on the network. We're excited to deliver audiences two more editions of outstanding production values, exotic scenery, new castaways and, of course, our Emmy Award-winning host."

"I am happy to be able produce two more editions of survivor for our loyal fans," said Mark Burnett, Executive Producer of SURVIVOR. "Our show stands for high quality family entertainment and all of us on this team will continue to deliver on this promise."

"We have a unique relationship with our audience," said Jeff Probst, host of SURVIVOR. "They tell us what they like and we listen. It's worked for 18 editions and we're looking forward to delivering two more satisfying seasons!"

This fall, SURVIVOR: GABON (8.4/14, 13.8 million viewers), the franchise's 17th edition, continued its ratings dominance, winning its Thursday (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) time period every week in viewers, adults 18-49 (4.6/12) and adults 25-54 (5.8/14).

The 18th edition, SURVIVOR: TOCANTINS, premiered on Feb. 12 and continues to place first in its time period in viewers (13.61m), adults 18-49 (4.5/13) and adults 25-54 (5.6/14). Last week's episode built on its premiere by +2% in adults 18-49 (4.5/12 from 4.4/13) and by +4% in adults 18-34 (2.6/08 from 2.5/07).

The groundbreaking reality series, which premiered in May 2000, has anchored CBS's winning Thursday lineup since February 2001.

SURVIVOR is produced by SEG, Inc. Mark Burnett is executive producer.
Chris
Old 02-26-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

For those playing the DVDtalk Survivor Game:

Goat3001 - JOE
Maxflier - DEBRA
taa455 - JERRY
ardathbey - TYSON
Damfino - BRENDAN
Sven - SYDNEY
LiquidSky - SPENCER
dadaluholla - JT
Quack - BENJAMIN
JuryDuty – STEPHEN
BadlyDrawnBoy - ERIN
Wildman1037 - SIERRA
runner001 - TAJ
LolaRennt - SANDY

ELIMINATED:

Patman - CAROLINA
TimeandTide- CANsDACE
Old 02-26-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Good news about the renewal, but it sounds to me that the 20th season will most likely be the final edition.
Old 02-26-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Good news about the renewal, but it sounds to me that the 20th season will most likely be the final edition.
Why? As long as the ratings hold up, the show could run forever.
Old 02-26-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Why would you say that? The show is still doing good in ratings and it's still cheap to produce. The only issue may be that Jeff wants out but he's certainly replacable. Maybe they're running out of challenge ideas and places to send these people? Even if thats the case, I don't think anyone would mind if they recycled some of the settings and reused some challenges from earlier seasons.
Old 02-26-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All they need are people willing to be contestants and an audience to watch, both of which they have plenty of, so there's no way it will end after next year.

As for Probst being "replaceable", do you really think that? He loves this job (who wouldn't) and is way more involved in the production than Burnett. Probst is Survivor, so it's funny to say he is replaceable.

On a side note...Goat3001: Don't you have a separate thread for your game that you can just update and bump rather than putting it here? Not a big deal, but I thought I saw a separate thread.
Old 02-26-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dino88
As for Probst being "replaceable", do you really think that? He loves this job (who wouldn't) and is way more involved in the production than Burnett. Probst is Survivor, so it's funny to say he is replaceable.

On a side note...Goat3001: Don't you have a separate thread for your game that you can just update and bump rather than putting it here? Not a big deal, but I thought I saw a separate thread.
I'd sure be disappointed if Jeff left. I think he's a great host for the show. And I know he's deeply involved in production as well. But it's not like they would have to cancel the show if he chose to leave. They can find another host. Of course it's just speculation, I don't think he'd want to leave he has the best job on TV.

and yes there is another thread for the contest. I just think it makes more sense to have the list in the weekly threads, that way there aren't two Survivor threads floating around. If anyone would rather me bump that thread every week, instead, I'll do that. Maybe the contest will get more discussion that way.
Old 02-26-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

All they need are people willing to be contestants and an audience to watch, both of which they have plenty of, so there's no way it will end after next year.

I like Survivor but I hate Probst. He is arrogant, cocky and plays favorites. Plus, he injects himself into the game which can affect the outcome. He needs to shut up with his needless commentary during the challenges. Phil from Amazing Race is a far superior host.
Old 02-26-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'd sure be disappointed if Jeff left. I think he's a great host for the show. And I know he's deeply involved in production as well. But it's not like they would have to cancel the show if he chose to leave. They can find another host. Of course it's just speculation, I don't think he'd want to leave he has the best job on TV.
The thing is that he is not just the host. Like you said, you know he's deeply involved in production, but I don't think you understand the extent of his involvement. Of course the show would still air, but it most likely go down the drain quickly. His hands are in selecting contestants we'll want to watch, creating challenges, creating drama during the competition (those things he says during tribal council have an effect on the players), promoting the show (he is the only one that does), etc...I liken him to Simon Cowell on Idol. They both are on screen, but are much more important off screen. The show could go on without them but at the expense of lessening the quality greatly.
Old 02-26-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I was hoping Jerry would make it thru this TC so he would have time to get better. He seemed like a very likable person.
Old 02-26-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It seemed to me that Jerry wanted to get sent home...
Old 02-26-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What was interesting was that Tyson voted out Jerry, but his reaction made it seem like he was surprised, but if Coach is smart, he can count who voted for Erinn, and there were only 2 votes against her. They didn't show Brendan's vote at the end during Jerry's final words, so that was weird.
Old 02-26-09, 11:39 PM

Wasn't Jerry's vote against Erinn the only one?

And it was either the editing or Tyson & Coach are a bunch of pussies for voting Jerry out after saying they wouldn't do that.

Chris
Old 02-26-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Wasn't Jerry's vote against Erinn the only one?

And it was either the editing or Tyson & Coach are a bunch of pussies for voting Jerry out after saying they wouldn't do that.

Chris
Yes. Ultimately, only Jerry voted against Erinn.
Old 02-27-09, 12:13 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Editing I'm sure.

Everyone except Jerry voted for Jerry, and I was surprised he didn't vote for himself tbh
Old 02-27-09, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

"I love seeing people cry when you crush their dreams".
Funniest Survivor Quote Ever.
Old 02-27-09, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Damfino
I thought the exact same thing when I heard it!
Old 02-27-09, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I like Survivor but I hate Probst. He is arrogant, cocky and plays favorites. Plus, he injects himself into the game which can affect the outcome. He needs to shut up with his needless commentary during the challenges. Phil from Amazing Race is a far superior host.
Same here... Probst may be involved in the production, but as a host he is rather poor and replaceable. At some tribal councils he appears to try to shape and direct the conversation through his questions (and unfortunately perhaps that's because he is also involved in the production part). I don't mind the editing of the show trying to mislead the viewer or setup future shows, I just don't think those involved in the production should be influencing the show like Probst seems to do.

And couldn't agree more with the needless comments... so-so is getting destroyed in this challenge, so-so needs to get their act together....thank you Captain Obvious!

As for this week - they should have gotten rid of 'coach'... he's just one of those guys with a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Old 02-27-09, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by leeta
It seemed to me that Jerry wanted to get sent home...
Yeah, it was like "I'm not quitting, but if you vote me out I'm OK with that."
Old 02-27-09, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
He has said he would never leave the show, and often mocks other actors who leave successful shows. He's in for the long haul.
Old 02-27-09, 07:31 AM
Banned

His hands are in selecting contestants we'll want to watch
Or contestants he'll want to "date" after the show is over. Talk about "injecting himself into the game"!

Jeff has become so closely identified with the show that it would undoubtedly have an effect if he left, but I agree with the posters who say that he says too much at TB (what you call "creating drama"). If viewers have been watching closely, they are well aware of what has been going on behind the scenes...much of the fun of Survivor is trying to figure out exactly how much of the double-dealing/back-stabbing the contestants are aware of before they vote. Jeff's statements appear to be aimed at bringing hidden things out at the Council (or reminding the contestants who is the likely target, etc.). If he just asked open-ended "innocent" type of questions that probe at strategies & try to get contestants to slip up & reveal too much, that wouldn't be so bad. It's when he starts pointing out certain things that might swing an undecided voter or get them wondering about supposed 'guaranteed' alliances that I think he goes too far. Didn't notice him doing that until the last few seasons.

One thought I had recently is that Probst probably mutters in his sleep, "C'mon in, guys...wanna know what you're playing for?...Worth it?...Wins reward!...I got nothin' for ya".

BTW...thought last night's episode was kinda lackluster, as it usually is when a contestant has been sick & making noises like he/she is "finished". Jerry said he wanted to say, but his eyes & body language said differently. I think he was kinda relieved to be voted off. Seems like a nice guy who wasn't physically up to the challenge. It's happened to far younger contestants (even athletes) whose stomachs just couldn't adapt to the environment. Anyway, you know that not too much is going on when the producers have to feature "Coach" for the second time in a row.

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-27-09 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-27-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sandy: "I know I’m a sex kitten".
Old 02-27-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Damfino
Originally Posted by awil1026
I thought the exact same thing when I heard it!
Really? I thought Coach's little drama queen speech about how he HATES IT! and CAN'T BREATHE THE SAME AIR! as people like Erinn was much funnier.
Old 02-27-09, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fanboy
Really? I thought Coach's little drama queen speech about how he HATES IT! and CAN'T BREATHE THE SAME AIR! as people like Erinn was much funnier.
The coach speech was great, too. I also liked his impersonation of Erinn's "evil" smile.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.