Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Where to start with Babylon 5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to start with Babylon 5?

I understand that the 90 min pilot is not part of the 1st season box set? is this necesary veiwing before I kick off with the 1st season set?
Old 02-09-09, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Re: Where to start with Babylon 5?

Not particularly. I had the season box sets before I had the pilot and I started right in with S1.

Just be patient with S1. It's a little bit of a chore to get through.
Old 02-09-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Not particularly. I had the season box sets before I had the pilot and I started right in with S1.

And that's an understatement IMO and that first pre-season-one movie is even worse.

This might help from another Babylon 5 thread:
“To answer your question, I believe you should watch them (more or less) in the order in which they were aired. IMO, the only reason to watch In the Beginning earlier than its original broadcast is if you need convincing of how incredible the story is before sitting down to watch. If you’ve already made up your mind to watch the show, no sense spoiling stuff that’s much better when revealed slowly over a few seasons. You say you’ve already seen up to Season 3, so I guess it doesn’t matter too much.

Also, while ‘Sleeping in Light’ does take place chronologically after River of Souls and A Call to Arms, I’d recommend watching it right after ‘Objects at Rest.’ This is certainly debateable, but unless there is a compelling reason otherwise (the network shuffled the eps or something), I tend to lean towards watching things in the order in which they were broadcast. I think ‘Sleeping in Light’ works best as a one-two-three with ‘Objects in Motion’ and ‘Objects in Rest’.

If I were building a definitive order, it’d likely go like this.

The Gathering
Season 1: Signs and Portents
Season 2: The Coming of Shadows
Season 3: Point of No Return
Season 4: No Surrender, No Retreat I
Thirdspace (Either directly after ‘Into the Fire’ or after ‘The Illusion of Truth’ … anywhere between ‘Into the Fire’ and ‘No Surrender, No Retreat’ would be fine though)
Season 4: No Surrender, No Retreat II
In the Beginning
Season 5: Wheel of Fire (I’d watch ‘Phoenix Rising’ before ‘Day of the Dead’, even though their aired flipped - doesn’t really matter as ‘Day of the Dead’ is a stand-alone, but it flows better that way)
The River of Souls
A Call to Arms
Crusade
The Legend of the Rangers

Hope that helps.”

das
Old 02-09-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thats what I hear..thats why I was thinking that the pilot might be helpful..
I did hear that the pilot is really bad compared to the rest of the series
though
Old 02-09-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, it's bad. I'm sure if I was back in the 90s and checking the premiere/pilot out, I would have said it sucks and never bothered watching the series.
Old 02-09-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
And that's an understatement IMO and that first pre-season-one movie is even worse.

This might help from another Babylon 5 thread:

thanks..I did do a search first but this thread did not pop up
Old 02-09-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, it's bad. I'm sure if I was back in the 90s and checking the premiere/pilot out, I would have said it sucks and never bothered watching the series.

90 min worth too..
hmmm..
Old 02-09-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The Gathering sets up the premise of the series and introduces two of the mysteries that will be very important later: Namely, that something significant happened to Sinclair during the Battle of the Line, and that there's something big going on with the Vorlons.
Old 02-09-09, 09:04 AM
Suspended

just finished season 5 and i would suggest watching The Gathering first even though it's not essential.

it made the seasons more enjoyable for me.
Old 02-09-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks all..gonna try the pilot first..heard lots of good things about this series but never watched it when it was on TV

Last edited by Deke Rivers; 02-09-09 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-09-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
thanks..I did do a search first but this thread did not pop up
Yeah, it's probably buried. I wasn't suggesting you should have done a search--I actually had that link bookmarked in my browser from a year or more ago because I thought I might need it again.
Old 02-09-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow I didn't think there were so many people who hated S1. It's true that it takes awhile for the brilliance of the show to shine through. The 'mystery' of S1's arc doesn't readily become apparent until later in the show but it is pretty important to understand events that happen later on. There are a small handful of rubbish episodes in S1, but the finale is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series. When I saw it for the first time, the tension and suspense was breathtaking...until I got to S3's finale...I still get chills watching that one.

I also think that you should at least rent the pilot before starting S1 - there are threads mentioned there that come back later on in the series and, while it won't necessarily confuse you later on, will enrich your enjoyment of the show later.

I still think S5 is worse than the first season - the entire byron arc is difficult to sit through even once.

Advice for starting out - keep a careful eye on G'Kar and Londo - their character arcs shape everything that happens throughout the show. Don't be distracted by how 'standalone' many of the early episodes seem - a LOT comes back to haunt the characters later on - don't be too tempted to skip.
Old 02-09-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My problem is that everyone says you just have to sit through the first season till things get really good. But I just couldn't do it... Like I just couldn't do it, haha.
Old 02-09-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

It's been a few years, but I too would say S5 was worse than S1. Also, due to my screw up (not going to rehash) I can't recall if I ever ended up watching The Gathering or not.
Old 02-10-09, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I think that one problem with season five is
Spoiler:
replacing Ivanova with Lochley. Gods, I hated that bitch. (The character, not the the actress.) And when JMS announcedthat he was going to be making "Lost Tales" I just knew he was going to stick her in there. And he did.

One of the problems with the "Byron arc" is that the character was designed to play off of Ivanova -- tying into her latent telepathy and her guilt over Marcus. So without Ivanova in the mix, Byron's just this asshole who wanders around the station acting like a pretentious brat.
Old 02-10-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk God

I thought S5 was better than S1. The last 1/3 of S5 is far far better than S1.
Old 02-10-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

I think watching In The Beggining first could create a sense of expectation of things to come, a teaser, that would make sitting through The Gathering and lesser season one episodes more enjoyable.
Old 02-10-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone (and the OP for starting this thread)! Once BSG wraps, I was intending to start watching this start to finish over the summer. Now I know how to proceed!
Old 02-10-09, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
I think watching In The Beggining first could create a sense of expectation of things to come, a teaser, that would make sitting through The Gathering and lesser season one episodes more enjoyable.
I've seen this suggested every so often, and I always feel compelled to completely disagree. Even though most of In The Beginning takes place well before S1, it really should be watched in its proper place (any time after the S4 episode, "Atonement"). As-is, it goes into a ton of the backstory and mysteries that are slowly revealed over the rest of the series.
Old 02-10-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
My problem is that everyone says you just have to sit through the first season till things get really good. But I just couldn't do it... Like I just couldn't do it, haha.
I wish I could have gotten into Babylon 5--I think it was das who said Season 3 was some of the most compelling TV there is. But I made it through the entire pre-pilot movie, the entire season 1 and half of season 2 and just couldn't go any farther. I WANTED to like the show so bad, but I just couldn't stand most the main character's acting.

Truth is, had I watched this when it was on TV, around the days of Star Trek: TNG, I probably would have enjoyed it--it hovers around that calibur of TV. But TV today is different, especially sci-fi TV (ie BSG), and I just couldn't get past its shortcomings.

I'm still planning to do it "someday..." but I don't know when that'll come.
Old 02-10-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I think B5 in the last half of S2 through the end of s4 was far better than anything on NextGen at the time. Das is right that S3 is one of the most breathtaking seasons of any show and its finale is one of my favorite single episodes EVER. This show certainly had character development that was unheard of in television at the time - Londo and G'kar are almost unrecognizable by the end of the show and yet their journey to get there is completely natural.

I also would say that In the Beginning spoils too much of Season 1 for it to be a good starting point. You really don't want to know the secret of S1 starting out.

I'm sure I'm in a minority that I couldn't get into BSG despite watching 2 full seasons of it - I don't think it's that tv is so much different today, it's that B5 was so ahead of its time. It definitely is a 'novel' for television.

B5 used to be my favorite show, but these days it's probably third, behind Farscape and The Wire.

Michael