Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Friday Night Lights -- "New York, New York" -- 11/19/08

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Jason's plan to leave Dillon worries Tim; Tami and Eric butt heads over financial matters; Julie champions Matt's idea to her dad; and Tyra turns to Cash during a difficult time.

This is Scott Porter's final episode.

BTW, Tivo user's with a season pass on this. Double check your "To Do" list. For some reason this episode wasn't showing up on my current season pass and I had to do a manual search and re-set the season pass again.
Old 11-19-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Yeah - I was going to give the same warning. For some reason, my DirecTV DVR season pass didn't pick this up to record.
Old 11-19-08, 04:30 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys, my DirecTV DVR didn't have it scheduled to record.

Next week's must be a repeat though?
Old 11-19-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
I hope the description of Julie and Matt doesnt mean matt is going to try and get julie to talk coach into playing him. I dont think that would be something his charecter would do
Old 11-19-08, 09:51 PM
Suspended

Good stuff. As annoying as Street was last season, these last few eps have been great...loved the scene with Riggins waiting by the cab, actually showing some emotion - happy as hell for his best friend, but sad to be losing him.

The Tyra stuff continues to be the weak part of the show, IMO. At least we didn't have Landry crying about missing her this week.

The writers must really hate Realtors, with nice jabs at them both last week and again this week. I always got the impression that the Taylor's house was just a small step up from Saracen's, and then they're looking at some fancy-ass place? How about something in between? But a story I normally would've been bored by was made interesting by Mr. and Mrs. Coach.

How many bye weeks do these guys get?
Old 11-20-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me again why this show continues to be on the brink of cancelation?
I don't get it.
CSI Miami comes back year after year and we have to beg, borrow and steal to see 13 episodes of the best thing written for television. Shameful.

Anywoo.....

I will look past the fact that yet AGAIN Riggins takes off during the school week.. misses a bunch more practices to go to NYC. I will look past it because for some reason .. it all worked.
I loved seeing them like fish out of water. I loved the look on Riggs face watching his best friend rise up and be something. Hopefully, it will give him something to aspire to.. hopefully, he'll remember that moment and let it sustain him when he gets back to reality and his lowlife life style. Sigh.

LOVED how they didn't allow Coach and Mrs Coach to somehow magically be able to get that house that was clearly out of their league.
Real Life. We don't always get what we want. And in Dillon... being a football coach, your job is as secure as your last win.
Tami needs to find a new friend... trying to keep up with the Jone's does not make a good marriage.

Tyra: What can we say? She'll be stuck in Dillon forever.

There's only 5 more left.
Old 11-20-08, 08:46 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
There's only 5 more left.
Any idea when they will air the last 2? Repeat next week, then there are 3 Wednesdays before Xmas eve. So I imagine they'll be saving the last 2 for January?
Old 11-20-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wonderful send-off for Street, you know it is when even Riggins gets a little choked up about it. If you care about the characters, it's okay to even shed a tear of joy or two.

Even with some outlandish plot turns in season 2, this season features much more grounded situations, Saracen finally getting some receiver love by coach after some earnest presentation to make his case, and Mrs. Coach has to face reality during the house-looking tizzy Mrs. McCoy got her riled up for a "bigger" life. Tyra continues to be a slow-cooking train-wreck, though.
Old 11-20-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Gotta love Coach when dealing with the house. If only more Americans had that red light that goes off in their head when it comes to finances.
Old 11-20-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
Any idea when they will air the last 2? Repeat next week, then there are 3 Wednesdays before Xmas eve. So I imagine they'll be saving the last 2 for January?

I believe so.
There's a small piece in the new Tv Guide that says the exact date.. I can't remember.. I do know that it's sometime in January.

It also says that Dtv is 'happy' with their numbers.. it's all in NBC's hands if it comes back again next year.
Old 11-21-08, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Awesome episode. This season has been fantastic.

I thought that was a really classy way to write out Jason Street. I was actually touched to see Tim got choked up to see his best bud happy and moving on with his life. The scenes with him and Street roaming around NYC were great.

Also, I loved how they kept things real with Coach and Tami and their house hunt. I'm glad that the writer of this episode had some common sense to know that kind of house was way out of their league and would be a horrendous burden financially. I liked how Eric tried to set things straight with her about their uncertain job statuses.

As for Tyra....
Old 11-21-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know the name of the song and artist they played at the end... Street and Riggs at Erin's place.
Old 11-21-08, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Does anyone know the name of the song and artist they played at the end... Street and Riggs at Erin's place.
"Gentle Moon" by Sun Kil Moon

Scene at dinner table:

Julie: Dad, why don't you let Matt play wide receiver this year
Coach: We don't talk football at the dinner table
Julie: Dad, we talk about football at breakfast, lunch, and the dinner table
Coach: Sweetheart, it's none of your business
Matt: Yeah, just drop it
Julie: Matt. . .(shuts him up with one word)
(Coach's facial expression is "Oh shit, she's becoming just like her mother)

Last edited by MadMark; 11-21-08 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-21-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Mark!

And yes... great dinner table banter.

No one does good banter like the Taylors!
Old 11-23-08, 12:35 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Street stuff has been good

so that's Street and Smash happy into the sunset

I like Matt in the new position
Old 11-24-08, 10:06 PM

I had two guesses that were obviously wrong, I was listening to the first couple of scenes, not watching.

I thought the original offer on the Street/Riggins "flip" house would fall through, then for some reason the Taylors would be in the market and would get that house. Wrong.

Also thought Matt's new position would be filling in for Mack, with the way the practice started ("coaching" the receivers, etc). Nope.

On a side note, I feel truly sorry for those without DTV. I hope there are other ways to watch... Great episode.
Old 11-25-08, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there any way that Jason Street gets nominated for an Emmy for his performance this season? He's been fantastic, as good as anyone else on TV this fall.
Old 11-25-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Beehut: I thought the same thing about the Taylor's buying that house.. I thought that after they decided 'that' house was way out of their league.. they would find out that the Garrity house deal fell through and would snatch it up quick.

mytzplyx: I guess he could win a 'guest star' Emmy. I don't think he was a regular. They tend to give them out to 'big stars'.. but you never know.
Old 11-25-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Given that FNL hasn't gotten any Emmy noms to date (for the show or higher profile cast members), the chances that the guy (I have no idea what his real name is) who plays Jason Street gets nominated for one is about zero.
Old 11-25-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Given that FNL hasn't gotten any Emmy noms to date (for the show or higher profile cast members), the chances that the guy (I have no idea what his real name is) who plays Jason Street gets nominated for one is about zero.
Yeah, you're right about that!

I believe his name is Scott Porter.
Old 11-25-08, 11:49 AM

Tyra telling the recruiter she was 17 had me shaking my head. The actors were old in the first season, and their never-ending high school years will catch up to them.

Saracen - Senior in HS - 26
Riggins - Senior in HS - 27
Tyra - Senior in HS - 25
Julie - Soph/Junior in HS - 19
Landry - Senior in HS - 20
Lyla - One year out - 28
Smash - One year out - 25
Street - Two years out - 29
Old 11-25-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Lyla is still a senior.
Old 11-25-08, 03:09 PM

Yeah, that's right. She was barely shown in school last year, if at all, so I'd thought she'd graduated. Heck, she might have.

But yeah, the scenes with Riggins this year would lead us to believe she's still in HS, or back in HS for plot's sake.
Old 03-06-09, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Friday Night Lights -- "New York, New York" -- 11/19/08

Bump

This episode airs tonight. This was a really solid episode when I watched this back in November. Hope you NBC viewers enjoy it.
Old 03-06-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Friday Night Lights -- "New York, New York" -- 11/19/08

This is where my DirecTiVo started to drop the season pass on this episode so I stopped watching on DirecTV. So like they say on NBC "if you missed it, it's new to you!". Excited to see how the season ends!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.