Battlestar Galactica -- "Blood on the Scales" -- 2/6/2009

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: Battlestar Galactica -- "Blood on the Scales" -- 2/6/2009

Originally Posted by riley_dude
It has not been disclosed yet.
If Starbuck turns out to be a sixth Cylon, that would be the dumbest thing they ever did on the show. They have made such a HUGE DEAL about the fact that were five Cylons remaining, that to add another completely negates all of it.

She's something else - I guarantee it.
Old 02-09-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was something in a previous episode that I commented on that made me believe the Tigh had at least confided his vision to the Adamas (as Lee seemed to know).

But the remark to Starbuck about "what she is" sure made it seem like a) Ellen isn't widely known and/or b) Starbuck's discovery was known to someone besides her and Leoben.
Old 02-09-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grrr
Solid episode.

I'm sad to see Gaeta go, but it was written on the wall last episode. Zarek has always been a cipher, but I was curious whether he'd turn dictatorial once he had the power. He didn't fail to impress.

Adm. Adama and the President both need to go. Beyond betraying the trust of the civilians under their care, they just executed a senior staff member for precisely the same crime that Adama committed against Cain two seasons ago. Funny how mutiny is just fine when you're the one perpetrating it. The President's speech was painful and poorly delivered; I've never cared for steely Roslin, as she's rarely anything more than a screechy bat devoid of any real power.

With Gaeta and D gone, there're no likable officers left..
ditto..I was mentioning this just the other night to a friend..personally I think this show should have just ended with the scene right after they landed on Earth
Old 02-09-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
If Starbuck turns out to be a sixth Cylon, that would be the dumbest thing they ever did on the show. They have made such a HUGE DEAL about the fact that were five Cylons remaining, that to add another completely negates all of it.

She's something else - I guarantee it.
Well given the whole 12 tribes thing and the revelation of a "13th tribe", I wouldn't be surprised if they go for the symbolism of a "13th cylon".
Old 02-09-09, 01:56 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
God I hope Gaeta and Zarek are actually dead.

Subplot that went nowhere.
I disagree. The subplot served the purpose of showing how the fleet is/has been split over the human-cylon alliance, and just how upset a large number of people were over it.
Old 02-09-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I disagree. The subplot served the purpose of showing how the fleet is/has been split over the human-cylon alliance, and just how upset a large number of people were over it.
Plus, it wrapped up both of their stories completely, which is needed since this is the final season.
Old 02-09-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
The plot should never "demand" anything. If it does, then we're being given what we want or expect.
You misunderstand. They show a firing squad, presumably killing Zarek and Gaeta. Now then, if in the future we see something like, say, Zarek and/or Gaeta alive, then what the hell was the point of having said firing squad scene? And since we actually didn't see Zarek and Gaeta get shot, chopped into a million pieces, buried and a time lapse of their pieces decomposing, then according to the Complete Compendium of Movie and Television Cliches, it's entirely possible that they reappear.

Last edited by Shazam; 02-09-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-09-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. So they showed it. Now what?
Old 02-09-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I loved the Gaeta - Zarak subplot. And I loved how it ended as well.
Old 02-09-09, 02:51 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
Meh. So they showed it. Now what?
Now we have a better understanding of the situation in the fleet.
Old 02-09-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

The last two episodes have been simply brilliant. I actually respect the fact they didn't drag out the mutiny, too few episodes left to have it stretch into 3-4.
Old 02-09-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of which, how long did the mutiny even last? Like 4-5 hours?
Old 02-09-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now we have a better understanding of the situation in the fleet.
I guess we'll see the occasional person rebelling against some sort of order that involves them working with the Cylons?
Old 02-09-09, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
There was something in a previous episode that I commented on that made me believe the Tigh had at least confided his vision to the Adamas (as Lee seemed to know).

But the remark to Starbuck about "what she is" sure made it seem like a) Ellen isn't widely known and/or b) Starbuck's discovery was known to someone besides her and Leoben.
Lee Adama definately knows. In a previous episode when talking to reporters he slipped and said something like "She died a while ago"

I think the remark to Starbuck is due to the fact that she was presumed dead for 2 months and then reappeared out of nowhere. Regardless of what Starbuck and Leoben saw, I think everyone is pretty suspicious of what or who she is.
Old 02-09-09, 08:32 PM

Loved this episode and loved this entire mini-arc.

I think it's amazing that BSG can show us how much strain the fleet has been under. How even good people with good intentions, like Gaeta, can find themselves on the wrong path (paved with good intentions).

It just blows me away imagining another show doing something as bold as this. Could you imagine Star Trek TNG ever having a coup aboard the Enterprise?

As much as I hated Gaeta in these last two episodes, I still think he's one of the most sympathetic and sad characters on the show and I'll miss him.

Anyone else find it interesting that both the Cylons and the Humans started fighting amonst themselves as the stress kept mounting? I think this is just one more way for the writers to show us that whether Toaster or Human, we're more alike than not.
Old 02-09-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by runner001
So how come no one has said anything about Starbuck? Is she a cylon too? Who/what was that in the crashed viper on Earth?
Originally Posted by Draven
She's not a Cylon (the "Five" have been revealed) and I'm sure it'll be explained.
She's not one of the Final 5, but that doesn't mean she's 100% human. Remember, there were supposedly billions of Cylons on Earth 2000 years earlier who weren't among the 12 models we know.
Old 02-10-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aintnosin
She's not one of the Final 5, but that doesn't mean she's 100% human. Remember, there were supposedly billions of Cylons on Earth 2000 years earlier who weren't among the 12 models we know.
Again, I still think they've made such a big deal about the Five that having a Sixth just seems...dumb.

I'm leaning toward the idea that it wasn't Kara in the crashed Viper. Blonde hair and dog tags could be faked. But we'll see what they come up with.
Old 02-10-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Starbuck is a clone of some sort made from the parts they took way back when she was captive on Caprica. As much as I hated the turn of events with Gaeta, I think it was a great storyline and I think it shows how people would react when faced with what the survivors are supposed to be facing. The lines in battle are not always so easy to see.

Last edited by beavismom; 02-10-09 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-10-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GF and I watch this together and she has finally won me over to her side of thinking regarding Starbuck...and it is thus:

Starbuck is damn near a useless/underused character.

The "miracle return" aside, all Starbuck has done the last 2 years is tick people off. She has no real thoughts or usage in the show. She can dish out the abuse and jokes but when someone dishes it back she throws a bowl of cereal at them and glares.

What kind of writing is that? I want her airlocked if I'm on the ship, and that's not even taking into account her 'human' status.

Going commando with Lee to take back the ship was a good move, and she DID say that she felt alive for the first time in weeks. Hopefully whoever puts words in her mouth is alive now, too.
Old 02-10-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
My GF and I watch this together and she has finally won me over to her side of thinking regarding Starbuck...and it is thus:

Starbuck is damn near a useless/underused character.
which is it? You can't be both useless and be underused, can you? I think she's been useless.

The "miracle return" aside, all Starbuck has done the last 2 years is tick people off. She has no real thoughts or usage in the show. She can dish out the abuse and jokes but when someone dishes it back she throws a bowl of cornflakes at them and glares.
fixed
Old 02-10-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by aintnosin
That's a good point that there were billions of cylons on earth before it was devastated. But we don't know for sure if they were all different models or if they were the same models, just various copies (like what we have now with the 12).

As far as the body being faked, it still doesn't resolve how she was able to survive an explosion of her viper in high altitude of a planet.
Old 02-10-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She can dish out the abuse and jokes but when someone dishes it back she throws a bowl of cereal at them and glares.

What kind of writing is that? I want her airlocked if I'm on the ship, and that's not even taking into account her 'human' status.
You've never been around someone who can dish it out but not take it? I've known many people like that in my life. Nothing unusual about that aspect of her character.
Old 02-10-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by runner001
which is it? You can't be both useless and be underused, can you? I think she's been useless.
Lately, yes, she's been pretty useless, as has Lee Adama. As has Baltar. All three of these characters were integral to the first couple seasons. But once they switched things up, there's just not much need for any of them, which is a real shame given that they have historically been very compelling characters for this series.
Old 02-10-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Lately, yes, she's been pretty useless, as has Lee Adama. As has Baltar. All three of these characters were integral to the first couple seasons. But once they switched things up, there's just not much need for any of them, which is a real shame given that they have historically been very compelling characters for this series.
Not everyone cast member can have a Big story every episode and it wont matter in another 6 weeks or so because the show will be over.
Old 02-10-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Not everyone cast member can have a Big story every episode and it wont matter in another 6 weeks or so because the show will be over.
No, you're right--but I think they're referring to the character's importance over an entire season, which is what I was referring to. Those characters were much more integral to the series in the first couple seasons. This last couple, they've been a bit on the back-burner, and even episodes that do feature them don't seem all that important to the overall storyline of the series, whereas they used to, big-time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.