Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fox Friday Nights at the Grindhouse! New Terminator/Dollhouse ad

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-09, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fox Friday Nights at the Grindhouse! New Terminator/Dollhouse ad

Originally Posted by Ayre
Lost tricked the public. A very clever premise about a plane that crashes on an island. It was advertised as an adventure drama and not SciFi. One can't help but notice the decline in viewership as SciFi was added, although it wouldn't be completely fair to blame SciFi.
Bah! That is nonsense. The reason the viewership went down is that they had god awful writing for all of season 2 and half of season 3. Viewership actually rose from season 3 to season 4 after declining miserably the previous 2 seasons. People came back to it once the writing got fixed. Before that, it was a jumbled mess every week. This kind of proves that people will watch good serialized television of any kind as long as the writing is good AND the show receives a marketing push. Without both of those working in concert, a show will never get off the ground. So yeah, we can always blame Fox, because Fox refuses to actually advertise for their new TV shows. Case in point currently is Dollhouse. It starts up next week and we're just now starting to see ads for it. Although from the ads, unless you already know what it is, you're not going to tune in because their marketing hasn't told you what the show is about. I wouldn't so far if I didn't know what it was about.
Old 02-06-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I agree I hate this type of philosophy to TV viewing: I won't support the show until it becomes a hit. I'll wait for the DVD release, then watch season 2.

Keep in mind, if you watch the show, like it, go on forums like this and talk about it, word of mouth spreads and people who actually have a Nielsen box will hear about it and probably start watching. Choosing not to support a new show because you think the network will fuck you over is assinine. Watching TV is all about taking risks.
It's not my job to keep a show on the air. I watch TV for entertainment, and I don't enjoy my favorite shows being yanked off the air in 13 episodes or less. Why would I subject myself to that? I'll watch shows on networks that don't show the same propensity for hair-trigger cancellations, and tune into the other networks when I know a show is a bona fide hit and will stay on the air awhile.
Old 02-06-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the poster above about House. Fox should just show House 24x7 and be done with new shows. Then maybe they will be shopped around to a network that will give them a chance.
Old 02-06-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdc3000
According to early reports Fox is aware that Dollhouse might take some time to catch on and I hear they're actually going to give it a fair shake - so I don't think it'll get canned too soon - it may not get a season 2 pickup in May, but it sounds like they might have learned from some of their mistakes (Firefly, Wonderfalls)...but who knows, this is Fox so they'll probably fuck it up - but I do like that ad...very well done and I can't wait for the 13th...
They have given Sarah Connor a long time to build. It's not doing any good but...
Old 02-06-09, 04:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
How long before they can Dollhouse? Bets? 3 weeks?
Halfway through the first episode, it'll be replaced with one of those "1 Dude, 12 Skanks" dating shows.
Old 02-06-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
They have given Sarah Connor a long time to build. It's not doing any good but...
Yes, and that's because The Terminator franchise is a FOX property.
They can accept Sarah Conner's lower ratings because the show is promotion for FOX-owned Terminator films and merchandising.
Old 02-06-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Yes, and that's because The Terminator franchise is a FOX property.
They can accept Sarah Conner's lower ratings because the show is promotion for FOX-owned Terminator films and merchandising.
Wrong, Terminator is not a FOX property. It's owned by Warner Brothers. They decided to keep it on the air even with the shitty ratings because it's popular with the advertisers.
Old 02-07-09, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It doesn't excuse my mistake, but I was thinking of Predator.

I apologize, and I won't delete the bad post so my shame can be seen by all.
Old 02-07-09, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
It's not my job to keep a show on the air. I watch TV for entertainment, and I don't enjoy my favorite shows being yanked off the air in 13 episodes or less. Why would I subject myself to that?
Subject yourself to what? 13 episodes of a good show. Even though Journeyman was canceled, I am thankful I had the opportunity to watch the show. There are a good dozen canceled shows that never made a full season that I am glad I watched. Why would anyone deny themselves good drama programming in the era of such crappy instant gratification reality TV?
Old 02-07-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Maybe you were thinking that Fox via MGM owns the rights to the first Terminator movie
Old 02-07-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
It's not my job to keep a show on the air. I watch TV for entertainment, and I don't enjoy my favorite shows being yanked off the air in 13 episodes or less. Why would I subject myself to that? I'll watch shows on networks that don't show the same propensity for hair-trigger cancellations, and tune into the other networks when I know a show is a bona fide hit and will stay on the air awhile.
Actually, it IS your job to keep a show on the air. TV is business, not art, so if you (and other people) don't watch...they don't make money...and then they can't afford to keep the show on the air.

It's very simple. I'm surprised that so many people expect the networks to keep up their end of the bargain but are unwilling to do their part.
Old 02-07-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dig the promos... too bad I'm not interested in either one of the shows.
Old 02-07-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
Actually, it IS your job to keep a show on the air. TV is business, not art, so if you (and other people) don't watch...they don't make money...and then they can't afford to keep the show on the air.
Only if you are in a Nielsen home
Old 02-07-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You really disappointing me.
Old 02-07-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ayre
Only if you are in a Nielsen home
Maybe not exactly true. Some DVRs are being tracked now too. Then there is the whole bit about you watching the show and seeing a product being advertised, then going out and buying that product. Would that count?
Old 02-07-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Like I was saying. When people watch new shows like Dollhouse and go to message boards like this and talk about it, word of mouth spreads. Then probably someone in a Nielsen household will start watching.

I know some TV viewers don't give a shit about the business end. But, still if your a Whedon supporter and want his show to succeed, watch it, talk about it and support it. FOX already paid Whedon to produce the show, it's up to the viewer now to keep it on the air.
Old 02-07-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Maybe you were thinking that Fox via MGM owns the rights to the first Terminator movie
I had it in my mind how FOX came up with Alien vs Predator because they owned the properties, and wanted to milk cash from the franchises.
And then I mixed up Predator and Terminator due to the Arnold factor.