Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Office -- "Stress Relief" -- 2/1/09 -- Post Super Bowl Approx 10:45pm ET

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "Stress Relief" -- 2/1/09 -- Post Super Bowl Approx 10:45pm ET

Old 02-02-09, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Office -- "Stress Relief" -- 2/1/09 -- Post Super Bowl Approx 10:45pm ET

Michael saying to Meridith, "If your wearing a dress please put your knees together, no one wants to see that."

This episode was pure gold.
Old 02-02-09, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Office -- "Stress Relief" -- 2/1/09 -- Post Super Bowl Approx 10:45pm ET

Seeing that Dwight mask scene is making me laugh all over again.

Because it wasn't tied on to his head, he had to lean back just a little bit to keep it on and his stiff body language made it all the more funnier!

Chris
Old 02-02-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I'm amazed that we're five pages into this thread and nobody has complained about the realism. .
i see just over 4 pages.
anyway, this was a good show. the length was just fine to me.
the hour went by quick.

No one wants to see that.
Old 02-02-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Michael wanting to make sure YouTube comes to film his roast
Old 02-02-09, 10:17 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
i see just over 4 pages.
Depends upon your "posts per page" settings, the default is 25 posts per page.

I see 6 pages right now.
Old 02-02-09, 10:48 PM

So was everyone insanely drunk last night? That was without a doubt the worst episode of the Office ever. The first half of that episode felt like a completely different show. That cold open was cringe worthy. Everyone was out of character. Really, Oscar jumps into the ceiling before even seeing the tiniest bit of a flame? And Angela who just happens to now keep her cat in a drawer throws it through the ceiling? Come on this is not what these characters would do. It was a lame attempt at humor for the average joe thats never seen the show before. I understand that they felt they needed to do that to hook new viewers, but it amazes me that people here who are fans of the show actually felt it was funny.

The perfect example to show how out of character everyone was is the season two episode The Fire. Where the fire alarm goes off everyone casually walks out with the exception of Michael who pushes everyone out of the way and Dwight who completely overreacts. This is what the characters would do.

On top of that terrible opening the whole bootleg movie thing was just painful. I've never been that bored watching the office. There was some good stuff in the second half of the episode but not enough to redeem it. I don't think i'll ever be able to sit through this episode again. I say this as someone who normally rewatches each episode at least 20-30 times.
Old 02-03-09, 02:19 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by esc24
So was everyone insanely drunk last night? That was without a doubt the worst episode of the Office ever. The first half of that episode felt like a completely different show. That cold open was cringe worthy. Everyone was out of character. Really, Oscar jumps into the ceiling before even seeing the tiniest bit of a flame? And Angela who just happens to now keep her cat in a drawer throws it through the ceiling? Come on this is not what these characters would do. It was a lame attempt at humor for the average joe thats never seen the show before. I understand that they felt they needed to do that to hook new viewers, but it amazes me that people here who are fans of the show actually felt it was funny.

The perfect example to show how out of character everyone was is the season two episode The Fire. Where the fire alarm goes off everyone casually walks out with the exception of Michael who pushes everyone out of the way and Dwight who completely overreacts. This is what the characters would do.

On top of that terrible opening the whole bootleg movie thing was just painful. I've never been that bored watching the office. There was some good stuff in the second half of the episode but not enough to redeem it. I don't think i'll ever be able to sit through this episode again. I say this as someone who normally rewatches each episode at least 20-30 times.
Except in this case, all of the exits were blocked. NOW they panic!
Old 02-03-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. This was a mediocre episode. While I did laugh out loud several times, I also sat there in silence or cringing during other parts.

The Jack Black/Cloris Leachman scenes were boring and gross. The Dwight stuff was stupid and over-the-top, except for the last bit where he gets Phyllis' signature. That was classic.

And the Pam/Jim subplot was bizarre although it did get salvaged by their final scene.

This season has been solid for the most part however, so I'll just chalk this one up to the infamous hourlong episode curse. When they're forced to drag it out this long, people start acting out of character and the show loses the funny.
Old 02-03-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. This was a mediocre episode. While I did laugh out loud several times, I also sat there in silence or cringing during other parts.

The Jack Black/Cloris Leachman scenes were boring and gross. The Dwight stuff was stupid and over-the-top, except for the last bit where he gets Phyllis' signature. That was classic.

And the Pam/Jim subplot was bizarre although it did get salvaged by their final scene.

This season has been solid for the most part however, so I'll just chalk this one up to the infamous hourlong episode curse. When they're forced to drag it out this long, people start acting out of character and the show loses the funny.
I 100% agree. I laughed a few times, and the cat through the ceiling was the funniest thing they've ever done on the show, but other than that this was a real "middle of the road" episode.

I cannot fathom how anyone who complains about this show for the tiniest thing would think this was their best episode, especially in comparison to Season 2.
Old 02-03-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

100% agree. I've been thinking this the whole season; the situations are way over the top. And poor Jim and Pam are another example of a TV couple who get completely boring once they get together.
Old 02-03-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh here you all are.
Old 02-03-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree. Even the things I thought were funny seemed really out of place. Such as the entire cold opening.

This played to the "new" crowd. If you didn't know the characters, you got the gist of it all with this episode. Which makes perfect sense considering it aired after the Superbowl.

With that said, it was a good episode. Just seemed too out of place for me. Hopefully it returns to form on Thursday.

I also agree that Jim and Pam are boring now. Yes they're a couple so they can't do the same games they did in the earlier season, and I'm happy they aren't doing the Ross/Rachel thing. Let's just get them back to where they were playing pranks on Dwight most of the time.
Old 02-03-09, 11:31 AM

The Cloris 'chair lift' scene was hysterical.

The lady's 82 and she's also doing makeout scenes. Great stuff.
Old 02-03-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by lordwow
Oh here you all are.
If you look at threads for past shows, you'll see I'm the biggest defender.

I just wish people would be consistent in their criticisms and hold every episode to the same standards.
Old 02-03-09, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Now that is what I expect from a DVDTalk Office thread!
Old 02-03-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So is there still another new episode this Thursday? I enjoyed the post-Super Bowl episode, but I thought they might just re-air it again in lieu of a new one on Thursday.
Old 02-03-09, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
So is there still another new episode this Thursday? I enjoyed the post-Super Bowl episode, but I thought they might just re-air it again in lieu of a new one on Thursday.
I hope it's the one with Karen.
Old 02-03-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I hope it's the one with Karen.
Spoiler?
Old 02-03-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, that's the first I've heard of
Spoiler:
Karen returning.
Old 02-03-09, 02:00 PM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I say this as someone who normally rewatches each episode at least 20-30 times.
You're such a liar.

I laughed out loud several times. Why the fuck would I care about anything else?
Old 02-03-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I enjoyed the episode, though I did think it was way over the top. And I couldn't help constantly wondering what new viewers would think.

So does Angela always bring her cat to work?

What did Dwight intend for them to do during the "fire drill?" Didn't he block every single exit? (I didn't even know there was another exit until the last episode, when Michael runs out the back with Dwight chasing him).
Old 02-03-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Looks like its new. From the description off Yahoo's TV listing -

Spoiler:
Episode Description
Originally Aired: February 05, 2009
Michael goes on a speaking tour of the other branches to explain Scranton's relative success, accompanied by his driver, Pam. Back at the office, Dwight and Jim - now the heads of the party planning committee - forget a birthday, with severe consequences. Meanwhile, Andy falls for someone he should not.

Edit - spoilered it. Forgot to do that.

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-03-09 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the info!

Another new episode =
Old 02-03-09, 03:50 PM

So is the ep available for free download? Since no one can tell me what the first few minutes before Stanly tries the CPR contained?
Old 02-03-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous
So is the ep available for free download? Since no one can tell me what the first few minutes before Stanly tries the CPR contained?
It's on Hulu - http://www.hulu.com/watch/55745/the-...ief#s-p1-so-i0

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.