TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica -- "A Disquiet Follows My Soul" -- 1/23/2009

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 08:01 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Battlestar Galactica -- "A Disquiet Follows My Soul" -- 1/23/2009

I can't help at times while watching this show, think: "Holy shit, this is bleak... why am I watching this depressing stuff?"
Old 01-25-09, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I can't help at times while watching this show, think: "Holy shit, this is bleak... why am I watching this depressing stuff?"
That's been a part of the show since the beginning, with the miniseries that kicked the TV series off being literally drenched in a post-Sept 11th type of morose gloom. (Actually the TV series has been somewhat less depressing than the miniseries was, otherwise I would've abandoned ship long ago.)

Old 01-25-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Yeah, that's the inevitable hazard when your central concept is the potential wipeout of the human race.
Old 01-25-09, 11:24 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelWill
I wonder if the Gaeta love/hate line is falling between those who watched the Face of the Enemy webisodes and those who haven't.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/48347/batt...y---webisode-1

I watched them and I vote douche.
Thanks for the link, somehow I missed out on those. They do make my opinion less black and white, but I still fall on the side of Gaeta and Zarek, for now at least.

Of course the worst part about "siding" with them, is you know damn well Adama/Roslin are going to end up the heroes.
Old 01-25-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
Of course the worst part about "siding" with them, is you know damn well Adama/Roslin are going to end up the heroes.
I wouldn't be too sure of that, the way this series can go.

I have to say that this week's show was a let down. The Tigh/Caprica 6 thing was out of character, the Tyrol thing was a retcon, and the whole show seems to be setting itself up for a disappointing conclusion. I had hoped the finale of this show would be a little more substantial than the ruining of Tom Zarek's political career.
Old 01-25-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The way things are shaping up with Adama, he might be the dying leader Pithea (sp?) prophesied about.
Old 01-25-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they did have that shot of him in the preview last month blindfolded and about to be sent out of the airlock
Old 01-25-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I'm clearly in a minority because I think Gaeta and Zarek could team up for a new show "Intergalactic Douchebags"... I fucking HATE them...that said, sure did set up some interesting shit to play out in the next few eps...
You're not in the minority, I wouldn't think. Gaeta is, will be and always has been a giant fucking d-bag. There are two things I can't stand in anyone I work with: Laziness and Incompetence. This little fucker has both in spades.

He got shot in the leg because he was a piece of shit soldier who was refusing to follow the orders he was given. Not only that, but he tried to mutiny even then. When I was in the Army, I saw a few people like that. Just whiny complaining assholes that didn't want to suffer any inconvenience for the betterment of the mission.

Further showing his ineptitude, he stupidly let the people get killed on his lists on New Caprica, because he was ineffective in his role in the government. Also in those webisodes, we see he's now a piece of shit drug addict.

There's no defending this fucker in my book. He had to wait for medical treatment? Uh, anyone in the military knows medical treatment, enemy or not, depends on how badly they're injured. Military doctors are still doctors. Hell, the Hippocratic Oath would ALSO mean if a guy walked into the ER, shot a doc in the stomach and then himself in the head and you could only treat one of the two (assuming both still alive), you'd have to take the head trauma, if it was more serious.

Then, you have Adama. Say what you will, but if I have to put my life and future into someone's hands, I'm not going to trust a guy who can't even handle his own JOB and a TERRORIST more than the man who has taken care of me and kept his promises to me throughout the years.
Old 01-25-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
I went back to the 4.0 boxset and watched Razor, and it struck me how similar Adama and Roslin's decisions really were to Cain's. The onyl real difference is that Cain went off the deep end.
The critical difference between Adama and Cain is that Cain didn't know when to pull back. Even though Adama has chosen to briefly cross the line at times, he always knew where it was. He respects that line because he recognizes that it's not just about surviving, but being worthy of survival. Roslin is really the flip side of the same coin.
Old 01-26-09, 12:32 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I won't come back here for a long time but I think I have it figured out

Spoiler:
They ARE the 13th tribe.
Old 01-26-09, 01:14 AM

Clarify 'they'.
Old 01-26-09, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
You're not in the minority, I wouldn't think. Gaeta is, will be and always has been a giant fucking d-bag. There are two things I can't stand in anyone I work with: Laziness and Incompetence. This little fucker has both in spades.

He got shot in the leg because he was a piece of shit soldier who was refusing to follow the orders he was given. Not only that, but he tried to mutiny even then. When I was in the Army, I saw a few people like that. Just whiny complaining assholes that didn't want to suffer any inconvenience for the betterment of the mission.

Further showing his ineptitude, he stupidly let the people get killed on his lists on New Caprica, because he was ineffective in his role in the government. Also in those webisodes, we see he's now a piece of shit drug addict.

There's no defending this fucker in my book. He had to wait for medical treatment? Uh, anyone in the military knows medical treatment, enemy or not, depends on how badly they're injured. Military doctors are still doctors. Hell, the Hippocratic Oath would ALSO mean if a guy walked into the ER, shot a doc in the stomach and then himself in the head and you could only treat one of the two (assuming both still alive), you'd have to take the head trauma, if it was more serious.
Damn, I just can't agree with any of this. Lazy and incompetent? He's always been one of the hardest working. Hell, that's pretty much all he did, you never saw him socializing like the rest. As for the leg, Helo had already officially relieved Kara....Gaeta was following orders. And finally, ineffective role in the government on New Caprica? I don't think there was any government role. The cylons were going to do what they wanted to do, and if you disagreed.....well, we saw what they did to Baltar. Besides, he's the one who smuggled crucial info to the resistance. Without him, everyone would have been fucked.
Old 01-26-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

al bundy...

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by al_bundy
they did have that shot of him in the preview last month blindfolded and about to be sent out of the airlock

Can you please spolierize that? Some of us don't watch the previews.
Old 01-26-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Is that how you get your kicks? Sorry. I guess I mean half-kicks."
Old 01-26-09, 09:20 AM

BTW did anyone have a problem w/ this eps as far as the broadcast? The copy on my Tivo was VERY choppy (had it been any other show I would have turned it off). Looking at SciFi a few times over the weekend, in general the channel is having some heavy artifact/broadcast problems that I don't see on any other channel (this is on FIOS).
Old 01-26-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, we get it the entire fleet in in a state of dispair. Why do they have to keep hitting us over the head with it??
Old 01-26-09, 11:49 AM

^ They've spent 4 years looking for a place to settle down and "call home", only to find out when they finally reach it that it is unfit for anything. Of course they're going to keep hitting you over the head with it. It's not going to be that simple to just get rid of all that baggage in one episode.
Old 01-26-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched the webisodes this morning and am curious as to when this is supposed to have occurred. It seems like it was somewhere between episodes 1 and 2 of this current half-season.
Old 01-26-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xfusejc
^ They've spent 4 years looking for a place to settle down and "call home", only to find out when they finally reach it that it is unfit for anything. Of course they're going to keep hitting you over the head with it. It's not going to be that simple to just get rid of all that baggage in one episode.
I agree with you but they did that in the last episode.
Everyone is giving up and killing themselves and rioting. Next plot!
Old 01-26-09, 10:05 PM

Everybody on this show just needs to die now. I don't care about any of them anymore.
Old 01-26-09, 11:48 PM

Sounds like it's time to stop watching the show
Old 01-27-09, 01:24 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Clarify 'they'.
Spoiler:
The crew of Galactica and the fleet are they.
Old 01-27-09, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Why does Adama hate Zarek so much? Adama advised Roslin not to steal the election from Baltar even though he disliked Baltar, so why doesn't Adama ever honor the democratic process in which Zarek was elected? Every time Roslin's not available to play President, Lee steps in instead of the V.P. What a load of horseshit. I would be pissed off too if I was Zarek. Adama and Roslin have pretty much done whatever they wanted while Roslin was in office. It's time somebody told Adama to fuck off since he doesn't give a crap about democracy. I hope Zarek and Gaeta kick ass!
Old 01-27-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Why does Adama hate Zarek so much? Adama advised Roslin not to steal the election from Baltar even though he disliked Baltar, so why doesn't Adama ever honor the democratic process in which Zarek was elected? Every time Roslin's not available to play President, Lee steps in instead of the V.P. What a load of horseshit. I would be pissed off too if I was Zarek. Adama and Roslin have pretty much done whatever they wanted while Roslin was in office. It's time somebody told Adama to fuck off since he doesn't give a crap about democracy. I hope Zarek and Gaeta kick ass!
Zarek had people airlocked last time he was president and it seems like he may want to airlock Adama this time. Even though the Adamas and Roslin may have a superior complex I honestly don't think anybody else with the conditions they had to go through with this group of people could have done any better.
Old 01-28-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Also, remember that on New Caprica Zarek was as about as close as you could get to a modern-day terrorist. He gained support from the people following the destruction of New Caprica which is how he got into high political office--but as far as Adama is concerned, he's still a terrorist.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.