Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wire: Come watch the greatest crime series ever with me. . .

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Open up those box sets, start adding to your Netflix Queue, & get ready to watch with me, what is by far, the greatest American crime story ever commited to television.

Back when the 1st season originally came out on DVD, I had bought it, & was completely captivated (although not instantly) by a story & cast that is unlike anything that has been aired before. It's a rare TV show that can actually maintain my interest, being a crime story junky, but often bored to death by cliche, I just needed to see one season to know this is a show for me, but like I often do, I waited years for the inevitable box set to come out to actually watch anymore. I have only seen the first season so far.

If you are in the camp of many, that have said they can't get into the show, I urge you, you have to give it about 6 episodes, it confused the hell out of me at first, it just throws you into the world of these characters. However, there-in lies the brilliance of this series. This is not CSI, Law & Order, Bones, the Mentalist, or any other paint-by-the-numbers neatly wrapped up series. It demands your attention & dedication, it has an immense cast, yet I promise you that they all get fleshed out to the point that you will likely, like me, change your favorite character several times in just the first season alone. I started with McNutty, then it was Lester for most of the season, then for a while, I mean how F'n awesome is Omar, but by the end of the first season my favorite character became. . .

So if there is enough interest, I'll try to keep this thread updated with my thoughts from episode to episode, much like I did with my epic & sadly lost Buffy/Angel threads years ago. As soon as I have time to watch a few in a row, I will begin with the second season, so for anyone that wants to watch along or rewatch the 1st season, post your episode thoughts on the first season until then. I just request that everyone please hide your spoilers, & remember that I have not seen past season 1, so if you discuss plot points past that, please put a warning before the hidden spoiler so I don't look & read it

So if you are a fan, discuss, if you tried & couldn't get into it, try again, & if you haven't seen this show yet, no more excuses.

Old 01-22-09, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: The Wire: Come watch the greatest crime series ever with me. . .

Amazing show. Brilliant. I look forward to your reactions.
Old 01-22-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17

One of the greatest characters in television history.
Old 01-22-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shit! I literally JUST finishing watching the finale. I'll be sure to contribute from what I remember. Look forward to your comments.
Old 01-22-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
One of the greatest characters in television history.
The scenes with Stringer and Avon in season 3 are some of the best scenes of not only the show, but in television. Broad statement or not, those were awesome.
Old 01-22-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I blind bought the complete set from Amazon a couple of weeks ago, and am utterly hooked. I watched the entire first season in two days, and am now taking a breather so as not to get burned out. I'll probably tackle season two this weekend. D'Angelo's brilliant monologue about McNuggets was as succinct and on-point a summation of corporate capitalism as you will find outside a classroom. Here's the YouTube clip:

Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cvq3Pf3j61c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cvq3Pf3j61c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-22-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Shoot I'm ready to watch my set but the Oscar challenge starts today. Ugh. It will be cool to read other people's reactions since I missed this when it was on the air.
Old 01-22-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget that you can order the complete series of The Wire today only (Jan 22nd) on Amazon.com for $81.99. Put my order in the first thing this morning.
Old 01-22-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw seasons 1 & 2 a couple years back, but never made it past that. Then for Christmas, I got the entire series. I've already re-watched the first two seasons, but like NoirFan, I'm taking a break. I don't want to get burnt out and I don't want to do the whole thing in one shot. I enjoy looking forward to it. But when you get to season 3, I might just have to pick it up again.
Old 01-22-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

So what happened to the Buffy thread again? You deleted it?
Old 01-22-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is such a slow burn show... You enjoy it, but by the end of each season you are in awe in how they make everything work.
Old 01-22-09, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shiiiiiieeeeeettttttt!!!!
Old 01-22-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Brilliant show. 5 years of perfection. Stringer Bell was also my favorite character on the show.
Old 01-23-09, 12:04 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 268 Likes on 203 Posts

Lester was always my favorite.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7EeFa8QOq_Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7EeFa8QOq_Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 01-23-09, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by MrX

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7EeFa8QOq_Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7EeFa8QOq_Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oh, man, I laughed so much after watching this. I haven't seen that episode in years, but I will be re-watching it soon.
Old 01-23-09, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only Six Feet Under rivals The Wire as my favorite show ever. They're like great American novels. Enjoy it!
Old 01-23-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX

Holy crap is that funny. Lester was my fav most of the season, but Stringer is the man.

It is just ridiculous how good the writing is on this show. It is without a doubt, IMO the greatest written televesion series ever. It is immensely complex, yet genius in it's subtlety as well.

This is once of my favorite scenes that sums up the utter brilliance of this show. I literally rank this as once of the greatest scenes I've ever seen on TV.

Last edited by Sessa17; 01-23-09 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Wire would be the perfect TV show except for 2 things: 1) it ended too soon and 2) it makes me mad (and jealous) to think I'll never be smart enough to write something so amazing.
Old 01-23-09, 04:26 PM

Blind bought this and Six Feet Under during Best Buy's half off HBO week based on the ravings of this forum's members. I thought to myself that surely this could not best The Shield. Almost through Season 3 right now and I still think The Shield is better. But I can see where this show is going and I'm positive that when the credits roll at the series finale, I'll be changing my tune. As far as cop dramas go, this does an ok job of it. As a critique of the degeneration and rebirth (hopeful on this, it seems like season 3 is setting this up) of a city and its citizens, no other show ever has had the writing this show does. This show portrays an honest look at the inner workings of a major metropolitan city, from the drug dealers who own the streets, to the ports and the people who are responsible for bringing in goods to the streets of Baltimore, to the classrooms in the Western District, and finally to the cops trying their hardest to make things right against all odds, this show has a downright ethereal feel to it. You know a show is good when you're rooting for both sides.

for those who are arguing what character is best, I have only one, the city of Baltimore itself. All the people, strife, and conflict this show dredges up only adds to the mythos of the city itself. It truly is a living, breathing thing, and that's why I find myself slowly turning towards the belief that this is the best damn show of all time.
Old 01-23-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
He had a wonderful progression during the first season, going from oddball dead-weight to mysterious, tight-lipped procurer of seemingly impossible information (Avon's photo, D'Angelo's phone number), to eventually become one of the most proactive, intelligent members of the team.
Old 01-23-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Lester is the man.
Old 01-23-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082
Blind bought this and Six Feet Under during Best Buy's half off HBO week based on the ravings of this forum's members. I thought to myself that surely this could not best The Shield. Almost through Season 3 right now and I still think The Shield is better. But I can see where this show is going and I'm positive that when the credits roll at the series finale, I'll be changing my tune. As far as cop dramas go, this does an ok job of it. As a critique of the degeneration and rebirth (hopeful on this, it seems like season 3 is setting this up) of a city and its citizens, no other show ever has had the writing this show does. This show portrays an honest look at the inner workings of a major metropolitan city, from the drug dealers who own the streets, to the ports and the people who are responsible for bringing in goods to the streets of Baltimore, to the classrooms in the Western District, and finally to the cops trying their hardest to make things right against all odds, this show has a downright ethereal feel to it. You know a show is good when you're rooting for both sides.

I love both shows but I would give the edge to the Wire. I think once you finish the whole series you will agree.

for those who are arguing what character is best, I have only one, the city of Baltimore itself. All the people, strife, and conflict this show dredges up only adds to the mythos of the city itself. It truly is a living, breathing thing, and that's why I find myself slowly turning towards the belief that this is the best damn show of all time.
Old 01-23-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought the box set and the first thing I did is give it to a friend. He just has the finale tonight, and all he can do is talk about it.

He (and I up until Season 4) had never even heard of the show. We talked about how it actually scared us that there might be other great shows out there that we have never seen.

I've never watched 6 feet under, so I may do that.
Old 01-24-09, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No love for the Bunk? He is, after all, just a humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick.
Old 01-24-09, 12:40 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I picked up the complete series a few weeks ago and I've been working my way through it. I just finished Season 3. This show gets better with every episode.

Cory, I absolutely love Bunk. And Lester. And Kima. And Herc. And Jimmy. And Carver. And Prez. And that's jsut the guys from the Detail.

Basically, what I'm saying is that all of the characters are awesome. I even kind of liked Ziggy in that love-to-hate-him sort of way. Except Rawls. He's a major dick.

Originally Posted by kvrdave
He (and I up until Season 4) had never even heard of the show. We talked about how it actually scared us that there might be other great shows out there that we have never seen.
Why don't you list all the shows you've heard of and we'll let you know what you're missing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.