Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wire: Come watch the greatest crime series ever with me. . .

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wire: Come watch the greatest crime series ever with me. . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 11:04 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: The Wire: Come watch the greatest crime series ever with me. . .

Originally Posted by Sessa17
ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME!! Please tell me this is a joke!!!!

Cause if it's not I will seriously delete this thread, my first post in this thread states in bold letters don't post spoilers unless you hide them.
He's totally fucking with you. I won't spoil what happens to D'Angelo, but that ain't it.
Old 01-30-09, 11:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mwbmis
McNutty is a real piece of work. I don't want to get into too much spoiler territory but wait till season 5.
Cool. I'm currently about halfway through Season 4 and it amazes me how McNulty

Spoiler:
has more or less settled down, both in terms of rocking the boat at work and in terms of his drinking and womanizing. Part of me wants the old McNulty back and part of me is glad he finally found a place in the world where he's comfortable and happy.
Old 01-30-09, 11:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Snoop has always been one of my favorite characters even though it took about a season and a half for me to realize she was a girl..
One of my favorite moments in the series so far is the scene that opens Season 4 with Snoop in the hardware store.
Old 01-31-09, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Cool. I'm currently about halfway through Season 4 and it amazes me how McNulty

Spoiler:
has more or less settled down, both in terms of rocking the boat at work and in terms of his drinking and womanizing. Part of me wants the old McNulty back and part of me is glad he finally found a place in the world where he's comfortable and happy.
Not really a spoiler but just in case...

Spoiler:
he's mainly a fringe supporting character in four, but the end of the season lays the ground work for what happens in five where he's back front and center.

Another thing about the Wire is that the characters are so fully formed you kind of get attached to the actors...who are mainly relatively unknown. It's kind of cool when they pop up in other things. For example, in this week's Fringe both Frank Sobotka and Chris Partlow showed up (of course Daniels is in the series cast). It's also safe to say that Wire fans got a lot more enjoyment out of Isiah Whitlock Jr. in that "Dad got hosed" cellular phone commerical than non-Wire fans. There's a thread on this board for Wire actors in other shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnUCbnuURVU

Last edited by mwbmis; 01-31-09 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-31-09, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For example, in this week's Fringe both Frank Sobotka and Chris Partlow
The guy that plays Sobotka is hilarious in True Blood.
Old 01-31-09, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing about the Wire is that the characters are so fully formed you kind of get attached to the actors...who are mainly relatively unknown. It's kind of cool when they pop up in other things. For example, in this week's Fringe both Frank Sobotka and Chris Partlow showed up (of course Daniels is in the series cast). It's also safe to say that Wire fans got a lot more enjoyment out of Isiah Whitlock Jr. in that "Dad got hosed" cellular phone commerical than non-Wire fans. There's a thread on this board for Wire actors in other shows.
I knew that was Chris! I was happy to see those guys getting some work.
Old 01-31-09, 09:54 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Ph8te
There used to be threads on this show, but they are probably archived, since they were done 1 per episode, the 2 per when HBO started releasing them On Demand a week early.

Believe me there is a following on this board, but since the show has been over for a little while the threads have all been pushed back...

For those of you who like Bubbles should def read the book, he is actually based on a real person....
Do you happen to know the person whos life is based on bubbles? i would be interested in reading that book. This is by far my favorite show. i was in baltimore last weekend and this girl and i started talking randomly. For some reason we started talking about the wire. Its great when i find other people who love the show and characters as much as i do. Great thread.
Old 01-31-09, 12:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I basically blind bought The Wire complete series for Christmas as I had only seen the first 4 eps of season 3. I was hooked from the start. It's the best show I've ever seen. I didn't think I'd like it because I could never really get into shows like the Sopranos or Deadwood or any other crime dramas.

I finished watching it about 2 weeks ago and I'm ready to watch it all again cause it's that good. I let my roommate borrow season 1 and he's already scratched the casing for the discs pretty badly. I'm hoping he didn't mess my discs up too.

The writing is amazing and the characters are so real. Almost everyone has their own story and you either care about them or love to hate them. Like someone mentioned earlier about Slim Charles, he's such a cool character even though he never really has his own scenes. He's one of my favorites along with like 10 other people. I also love how every season is easily distinguishable from another.

Anyway, I wish I could go back in time and watch The Wire fresh. I couldn't stay away from message boards and saw some spoilers. But it's definitely a show I will rewatch over and over.
Old 01-31-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyway, I wish I could go back in time and watch The Wire fresh.
Agreed. Of all the shows I've ever seen The Wire and Buffy/Angel are the only ones I would agree to have my mind Eternally Sunshined just so I have a chance to watch them again fresh.
Old 01-31-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I just powered through all of S1 and half of S2 and it's just as good as watching it the first time for me. It's been about 4 years since I saw them so maybe that's why.

I think S4 was the first one I actually saw first-run. I had to catch up with S3 on DVD right before S4 aired.
Old 01-31-09, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was with you until you started shit about Bones and The Mentalist .
Old 01-31-09, 11:39 PM
Suspended

Oh, man. I'm watching Season 4 now and I just want to punch

Spoiler:
Herc for the way he's treating Bubs. I just watched the episode where Bubs gets his revenge by tipping Herc off that the preacher is carrying. Great revenge for Bubs, both on Herc and the dick of a preacher who went out of his way to avoid even making eye contact with Bubs, but I'm scared that Herc is going to get pissed at Bubs instead of owning up to the fact that he fucked Bubs over.

It's amazing how different are the paths that Herc and Carver went down considering the two were pretty much interchangable during the first season.
Old 02-01-09, 02:53 AM

I had just finished Season 5 (after getting it for Christmas) and after seeing this thread, I felt compelled to go back and watch the whole damn thing again (I'm through season 2). So I say both THANKS! and DAMN YOU!

I've seen in a lot of places where a lot of folks thought Season 2 was one of the weaker seasons - I've seen a lot of people rank Season 3, then 1, then 4/5 (in either order), and then 2.

I've always been partial to season 1 (it moves slow and deliberately - but I thought that was what made it so good. With that many characters, they took the time to develop them and did not clutter things up with action scenes that do not forward the story or the characters). I also enjoyed being pissed off at how things unfolded during the season as well as the last few shows - that was a signal to me that this is/was going to be a truly great show as the writers stayed true to the realism they were trying to portray and did not go for the usual copout of putting a nice happy bow on everything.

I also really liked season 2, I don't think it gets as much love as it should. The scene with Omar in court is just fantastic:

"What exactly do you do for a living Mr Little?" Omar: "I rip and run."

O: "that wasn't no 'tempt murder", " I shot that boy Mike Mike in the hind parts, that all. Fix it so he couldn't sit right"

And the classic: "I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase" (with the quizzical look from Levy to the judge and the judge just shrugging in response)

(For those who haven't see I don't think any of this a spoiler)
Old 02-01-09, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I was with you until you started shit about Bones and The Mentalist .

Sorry, I tried getting into Bones b/c I like Boreanez a lot. I blind-bought the 1st season once cause Target or someplace had it for under $15. It's just like every other show on TV, it's so repetitive, boring cast. I get the banter is suppose to be cute, but there just is no substance or originality. It's just not for me, I get why it's popular. But shows like these, pretty much every major network shows, they are all so cookie-cutter, paint-by-the-numbers. It's why I so rarely watch a TV show.
Old 02-01-09, 12:36 PM

I've seen in a lot of places where a lot of folks thought Season 2 was one of the weaker seasons - I've seen a lot of people rank Season 3, then 1, then 4/5 (in either order), and then 2.
Methinks alot of the hatred toward Season 2 is only because this show did something extremely fucking bold and started the second season with a whole new cast of characters as the main cast and storyline were pushed to the background. It's something that usually doesn't happen.

Oh, and Ziggy was annoying.
Old 02-01-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"What kind of asshole gives whiskey to a duck?"
Old 02-01-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think season 2 and 4 are my favorite seasons of the show.
Old 02-01-09, 04:08 PM

Methinks alot of the hatred toward Season 2 is only because this show did something extremely fucking bold and started the second season with a whole new cast of characters as the main cast and storyline were pushed to the background. It's something that usually doesn't happen.

Word. The whole new cast in Season 2 threw me for a loop. I was looking forward to the further adventures of Barksdale and crew and instead I'm greeted with Sobotka and his whiny ass kids on the ports. It took me about half the season before I really started to warm up to them. And even then, it was because I was intrigued by the Greek.

And yes, Ziggy was an annoying asshat. As someone else posted, what kind of asshole gives whiskey to a duck?
Old 02-01-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Season 2 was important to the larger picture of the drug trade in the city. I loved what they did with it.
Old 02-01-09, 04:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Methinks alot of the hatred toward Season 2
Hatred is the wrong word. A lot of people put season 2 as their least favorite, it's clearly behind 4 & 1 for me, but I don't think anyone hates it.
Old 02-01-09, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
Hatred is the wrong word. A lot of people put season 2 as their least favorite, it's clearly behind 4 & 1 for me, but I don't think anyone hates it.
Agreed. I didn't mean hatred. Even though it's my least favorite I don't hate it. It's almost impossible to hate anything The Wire has done.. and even if you do hate it, you soon realize that everything else you watch is so far beyond it your "hate" becomes admiration.
Old 02-01-09, 10:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't mind season 2 at all but my favorites would probably 3, 4, or 1. 4 was great with the corner kids and Marlo's stone cold crew. I loved the way the Stringer/Avon relationship plays out in season 3. One of my favorite scenes in the entire series is

Spoiler:
Avon and Stringer talking to each other on the rooftop. You get the sense that each knows the other betrayed him. It's really awesome. I may have to watch that again tonight.
Old 02-02-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched the first episode of season 3 last night. It's still a bit early at this point to see where things are heading, but I enjoyed it.

One thing that constantly bugs me about this show is Lance Reddick (Lt. Cedric Daniels). I like his character and his acting, but someone needs to teach that man how to use a pocket or something. He has the most unnatural walk I've ever seen. He's like a robot. It bugged me on Oz, it bugs me on The Wire, it bugs me on Fringe and everything else I've ever seen him in. Someone needs to hand that man a coffee cup or something. Beyond that, I think he's been fantastic in everything I've ever seen him in.
Old 02-02-09, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fandango
Shiiiiiieeeeeettttttt!!!!
Old 02-02-09, 07:21 PM

^ That's awesome.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.