Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wire: Come watch the greatest crime series ever with me. . .

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wire: Come watch the greatest crime series ever with me. . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 05:51 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: The Wire: Come watch the greatest crime series ever with me. . .

It's spelled "Kima," people!
Old 01-26-09, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
"Now can you feel me?"

As far as Keema goes I agree that her home life was always a drag for me. I like her on the street but whenever she goes home it drags.
Personally, I felt the
Spoiler:
Ikea stuff with Kima at home
was one of the funniest moments of season 5.
Old 01-26-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Omar is the most bad-ass character in TV history, in fact I can't think of that many more in film history who're more bad-ass either.
Which makes his demonstrative homosexuality all the more daring and subversive a character choice by the creators. I'm greatly looking forward to the impending Omar/Brother Mouzone dustup - that shit's like Godzilla vs. Mothra, son!
Old 01-26-09, 08:32 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Omar is the most bad-ass character in TV history, in fact I can't think of that many more in film history who're more bad-ass either.
Yeah, agreed.

When he would walk out from the shadows and the lookouts would scatter, yelling "Omar comin'! Omar comin!" it was so badass.

One of the coolest things about him was how the gay part of his character was introduced and it was definitely a big part of who he was (driving a lot of his revenge on Avon's team early on) but it was just one part of his personality.

Most TV shows would have only focused MAINLY on that aspect of his personality.

The way The Wire handled his progression as a person is a good microcosm of why the show was as awesome as it was. Kima is the same deal really... and all the other characters have their own quirks or vices but they're all so complex and fully formed I ended up thinking of them almost as real people.

I've been meaning to look that actor up on IMDB to see what else he was in.

Just watched RockNRolla and the actor who played Stringer Bell was in that... first time I even realized he's British. haha. Dude has mad acting skills for sure.

Shit, I wish this show was still on!

If any of you have yet to watch Homicide: Life On The Streets it's pretty good too. Not NEARLY as awesome as The Wire but it's a great show.
Old 01-26-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
When he would walk out from the shadows and the lookouts would scatter, yelling "Omar comin'! Omar comin!" it was so badass.
Whistling "The Farmer in the Dell"!
Old 01-26-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When Omar was walkin' around the block to get his Honey Nut Cheerios in his robe (and no gun, either) and everyone was screamin "Omar's comin! Omar's comin'!"

Then he stops for a smoke in front of an apartment building and the dope dealers just drop their bag of caps for him.

One of the first times my girlfriend ever saw his character, and the first thing she said was, "That's bad ass!"
Old 01-27-09, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished season 1 myself. I slept on all the hype, just not a big fan of dramas, but I'm so glad I finally gave it a chance. Great show. Can't wait to watch season 2.
Old 01-27-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When Omar was walkin' around the block to get his Honey Nut Cheerios in his robe (and no gun, either) and everyone was screamin "Omar's comin! Omar's comin'!"

Then he stops for a smoke in front of an apartment building and the dope dealers just drop their bag of caps for him.
My favorite Omar moment is.. well, how do I put it in a way as to not spoil it for everyone else.. um..

fucking Spider-Man.

Yeah, that'll do.
Old 01-27-09, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Fandango
Carnivale is a show with similar complexity that ended far too soon.
+11111111111111111111111111111111

Carnivale was another show that seemed to grab you and suck you into its world. I have lent the series out to numerours family and firends all who were saddened that the show was killed off.

Now back to the Wire.....

I wish I could be a Wire virgin and see all of the shows for the first time again ....This show is one of the best shows in recent years hands down. THis is another show that I have sucked family and friends into and like it was said earlier this show is like tv crack, I have had reports of people watching the entire 1st season in one day loosing total track of time and not wanting to put it down.

IF you think the writers have balls in the 1st few seasons wait until the last two, they will leave your mouth on the floor with WTF did they really do tht moments....This show takes no prisoners and much like in real life NO ONE is safe.

As far as favorite characters go, mine still hasnt been mentioned...Wee-Bey (even named our Rottie after him), we get people here and there that are fans of the show and they "light up" at his name ........

But to name just one favorite would be unfair. I could give a good explination to most of the characters on why I liked them (from both sides of the fence).

This show will make you laugh, anrgy, and bring you close to tears all in the same episode, I find it a shame (much like some of my other favorites) that this show got snubbed for some of the major awards while it was running....

That reminds me someone still has my Season 1 discs grrrrrrrrrr....Off to collect a soul....

"
BTw if you havent yet I reccomend going out and picking up "The Wire: Truth Be Told" as it will give you some insight to the characters (as some of them are based on real people) and the show.

Last edited by Ph8te; 01-27-09 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-27-09, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up the series from Amazon last week when it was the Gold Box special for $81. Looking forward to watching.
Old 01-27-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Sunday night I decided to start watching the series for the second time. I hadn't seen S1 since it hit DVD years ago. I've wound up watching 6 episodes in 2 days. It just pulls you right back in.
Old 01-27-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of my favorite characters that nobody has mentioned is Bubbles. "Much obliged."
Old 01-27-09, 10:22 PM
Suspended

One of my favorite characters that nobody has mentioned is Bubbles. "Much obliged."
Yeah, Bubbles is the man.

... and Lester... and Herc... and Pryz

Fuck, The Wire is the greatest show on TV ever... EVER!!!
Old 01-28-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ayre
I picked up the series from Amazon last week when it was the Gold Box special for $81. Looking forward to watching.
Post your thoughts here when you watch it.

I'm so glad to see all the love for this show here, I did a search before posting this thread & there was very little discussion on the series before so I really wasn't sure if this would be very popular here.

Got the 2nd ep of season 2 in last night.

"Collateral Damage" - First & main thing that sticks out to me watching this episode. Dear sweet baby Jesus, if quality & real entertainment actually meant something in the TV world, there would be a detective series spin-off based on Bunk & Lester as partners. Fuck Law & Order in the ass. Loved ultimate ass-hole McNulty in this ep. He is just the greatest self-destructive prick in the history of television. Personally, I'm really diggin' the world of the dock workers, such a great landscape to base a crime story around. No Kima in an ep is always a great thing. Also, good to see Wee-Bey back b/c I thought he got
Spoiler:
multiple life-sentences & was out of the series
Old 01-28-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Wrapping up the first season as we speak (I type). I can say that this is one great series but I don't want to talk about it too much as I do not want to divulge any spoilers to those that haven't seen it yet. I will say that it was a great choice to cast people that you most likely have never seen or heard of before. I remember seeing only one of the actors from this show in another show. Season 1 is an A+ in my book. I'll give a final comment or two after the last 40 minutes of the finale are over.
Old 01-28-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I second this. His character shows what ups and downs people can go through in life. He shows the desire to change but the weaknesses that many people have that keeps it from happening. I have high hopes from him as the series movies forward.
Old 01-28-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Wrapping up the first season as we speak (I type). I can say that this is one great series but I don't want to talk about it too much as I do not want to divulge any spoilers to those that haven't seen it yet.
The entire point of this thread is to discuss the series, specifically the 1st season, since I've watched it so far. Just use spoiler warnings like I did above.
Old 01-28-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sessa17
The entire point of this thread is to discuss the series, specifically the 1st season, since I've watched it so far. Just use spoiler warnings like I did above.
The hard part of discussing this show is picking out parts to discuss since the overall show is well made and not just great parts strung together by a bunch of filler. Right now I'm into the second episode of season two. I'm not sure what to think about this season yet but it does seem that is is starting to pull together most of the key players from season one.
Old 01-29-09, 12:56 AM

Post your thoughts here when you watch it.

I'm so glad to see all the love for this show here, I did a search before posting this thread & there was very little discussion on the series before so I really wasn't sure if this would be very popular here.

Got the 2nd ep of season 2 in last night.

"Collateral Damage" - First & main thing that sticks out to me watching this episode. Dear sweet baby Jesus, if quality & real entertainment actually meant something in the TV world, there would be a detective series spin-off based on Bunk & Lester as partners. Fuck Law & Order in the ass. Loved ultimate ass-hole McNulty in this ep. He is just the greatest self-destructive prick in the history of television. Personally, I'm really diggin' the world of the dock workers, such a great landscape to base a crime story around. No Kima in an ep is always a great thing. Also, good to see Wee-Bey back b/c I thought he got
Spoiler:

There used to be threads on this show, but they are probably archived, since they were done 1 per episode, the 2 per when HBO started releasing them On Demand a week early.

Believe me there is a following on this board, but since the show has been over for a little while the threads have all been pushed back...

For those of you who like Bubbles should def read the book, he is actually based on a real person....
Old 01-30-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blah blah blah

Last edited by dsa_shea; 01-31-09 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-30-09, 03:35 PM

Just finished the series. Wow. Just.....wow.
Old 01-30-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe that they killed off D'Angelo. I was hoping that we would someday see him free and String out Stringer for sexing up his woman.
ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME!! Please tell me this is a joke!!!!

Cause if it's not I will seriously delete this thread, my first post in this thread states in bold letters don't post spoilers unless you hide them.

Last edited by Sessa17; 01-30-09 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-30-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't believe that they ******************. I was hoping that we would someday see him **********.
Kindly use spoilers.

Last edited by The Bus; 02-10-09 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-30-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Spoiler:
While they aren't Bunk and Lester, both Wendell Pierce and Clarke Peters are in Simon's next series for HBO about musicians in New Orleans.

McNutty is a real piece of work. I don't want to get into too much spoiler territory but wait till season 5.

As for Wee-Bey, while he's not a major character, he'll remain a periodic presence in the show going forward, and the storyline that directly involves him in season 4 is a good one.

In fact, almost all Wire characters show up again from time to time throughout the run of the show.
Old 01-30-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Snoop has always been one of my favorite characters even though it took about a season and a half for me to realize she was a girl..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.