Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Best/Worst of the Fall 2008 TV season

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-08, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best:
True Blood - Hands down my favorite new show of the year. Went from only watching hoping to see a topless Anna Paquin to a must watch every week.
The Shield - Series Finale. My favorite show of all time went out with a huge bang.

Notables:
Californication - Picked this up this season and have loved both seasons so far. Hank Moody is a terrific character and Duchovny plays him perfectly.
Dexter - Picked this up this season as well. And then went and picked up the complete Six Feet under boxset because Michael C. Hall is bloody brilliant.
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Last season provided it the legs to stand on. This season it ran with 'em. Hopefully, Fox will pick this up for another season.
How I Met Your Mother - Four seasons in and this is still my favorite sitcom on TV. America's Emmy Award Winning Neil Patrick Harris is the reason to watch.
Sons of Anarchy - The spiritual successor to the Shield on FX. Great, GREAT, show.

Worst:
Heroes - By far the biggest disappointment this year. It just got worse and more convoluted each and every week. They can't stick to any kind of origin story for these guys and have people turn face or heel more often than any wrestler ever has. Its officially off the TiVo now.
Old 12-27-08, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082
Dexter - Picked this up this season as well. And then went and picked up the complete Six Feet under boxset because Michael C. Hall is bloody brilliant.
Funny, usually I hear it the other way around. Either way, two pretty fantastic shows.
Old 12-27-08, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by ruddiger_718
Funny, usually I hear it the other way around. Either way, two pretty fantastic shows.
Yeah, I get that a lot. Never did remember Six Feet Under being on HBO (as in, never could remember when new seasons were coming on) at a particular time, so I never did pick it up for a season pass. Kinda glad I didn't now, since I got that beautiful box set half off.
Old 12-28-08, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by skatefan20
GOOD

Dirty Jobs (Discovery) - ex-QVC personality had tendency to go overboard with the innuendo/double entendre
Glad someone else has noticed this. Formula for the show: Show crew arriving. Mike makes tongue in cheek dick jokes. Mike fucks with the camera guy. Mike makes more dick jokes. Mike and crew leave before the job is done.
Old 12-28-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Wow. Some good stuff in the bad category, and some bad in the good. My worst for the fall season are:
-Kath and Kim. Simply god awful.
-Knight Rider. Who on earth watched this show and thought it was good enough to air. I understand that Ford paid an assload of cash to keep it on the air, but seriously, this needs to die.
-The fact that Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone and Dirty Sexy Money were all canceled. These three shows could have been huge, but the networks refused to return them to the air after the damn writers strike last year, so they died when they did come back. The networks get props for actually bringing them back this season though. Wish it was for longer.
Old 12-28-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by groovrbaby
Glad someone else has noticed this. Formula for the show: Show crew arriving. Mike makes tongue in cheek dick jokes. Mike fucks with the camera guy. Mike makes more dick jokes. Mike and crew leave before the job is done.
I was going to give a to that too. I like Mike Rowe. He's very quick on his feet and is a great people person, but the sexual innuendos get old fast. I can forgive it when he's improving on the job, but can't stand it when they work it into promos, voice overs and prepared bits.
Old 12-29-08, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good:
Chuck
NCIS

Bad:
Heroes (stopped watching 4 episodes into this third season)
Knight Rider (stopped watching 8 minutes into this season)
Putting Terminator and Chuck on at the same time
Old 12-29-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wmansir
but the sexual innuendos get old fast.
Originally Posted by groovrbaby
Formula for the show: Show crew arriving. Mike makes tongue in cheek dick jokes. Mike fucks with the camera guy. Mike makes more dick jokes. Mike and crew leave before the job is done.
That's pretty dead-on.

Didn't mind a recent cutaway reference to his old job at QVC but the slew of Fall episodes were overall weak, with Mike even crossing over to I Love Lucy territory ("Dirty chip maker".)

Originally Posted by jjcool
-The fact that Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone and Dirty Sexy Money were all canceled. These three shows could have been huge, but the networks refused to return them to the air after the damn writers strike last year, so they died when they did come back.
Someone needs to be slapped silly at ABC. They could have at least given each a full run of 18-20 eps this season.

One more addition to my WORST list courtesy of TBS/MyNetwork: House of Payne
Old 12-29-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For me:
1-Surprised at how good Smallville has been this season so far (and looks to get better)
2-"Discovering" the Wire and 24 on DVD this year.