Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Gabon - Earth's Last Eden **Season Finale - Sunday, 12/14/08 at 8am**

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the sole survivor?? (public poll)
Bob
51.52%
Kenny
3.03%
Matty
21.21%
Sugar Shack
24.24%
Susie
0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Gabon - Earth's Last Eden **Season Finale - Sunday, 12/14/08 at 8am**

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emptysky
Randy enjoys acting the way he does way too much to have Asperger's. He likes playing the bitter asshole.
I agree. Both him and Corrine are playing up their parts so they will be memorable and hope to make tons of money from this. It's an act.
Old 12-14-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
I agree. Both him and Corrine are playing up their parts so they will be memorable and hope to make tons of money from this. It's an act.
I think that some of Randy's is a put-on, but I really think that Corinne is that way.
Old 12-14-08, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by zuffy
Kind of suck Sugar didn't get the 100k.
Yea, I was rooting for her to get the 100k.
Old 12-14-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Corrine just want to get into the entertainment business like most reality show guests.
Old 12-14-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by zuffy
I think Corrine just want to get into the entertainment business like most reality show guests.
And will fail... like most reality show guests.
Old 12-14-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by awil1026
Yea, I was rooting for her to get the 100k.
Me too. For a second, I thought Bob might give it to her.
Old 12-14-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I think that some of Randy's is a put-on, but I really think that Corinne is that way.
Maybe, but he really has been pretty much a hermit for a while.

I think tonight's result spoke some to the accuracy of Sugar's social edit. If three people who didn't want to vote for Bob instead decided to vote for someone as completely and totally useless as Susie...well...there must have been some real dislike for Sugar.

I know people don't like Corinne (I don't really either), but I think her and Charlie's friendship with Randy got Bob that fourth vote and saved us from having the shittiest winner of all time (at least Sandra was entertaining and Amber was like Rob winning). Someone here mentioned wanting to punch Corinne...well, I wanted to punch Susie when she wouldn't shut up after winning won that lame final challenge (I'm of the opinion that the final challenge should always be a who wants it the most challenge...and I think they need to bring back the know you fellow Survivors challenge for late in the game too.)

Speaking of Corinne...I think she was more excited that Bob won that $100,000 than Bob was.
Old 12-14-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mwbmis
Speaking of Corinne...I think she was more excited that Bob won that $100,000 than Bob was.
Honestly, Bob seems humble enough to me that I don't think he wanted it. I mean, he just won the million and I imagine he hoped it would go to Matty or Sugar. Especially since Sugar basically gave him the million over Matty.

Funny, at Tribal, I thought all their answers were awful. It seemed like they were three people who really didn't think they should have the money. Sugar approached it like she was convinced she wouldn't get the votes anyway, so she didn't care. Bob, instead of sharing what he did with Jeff about his strategy, he said a couple times he basically wasn't strategic at all. And Susie was just surprised there was a seat there with her name on it.
Old 12-14-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice to see Bob win.

The editing must have gone crazy this season. It seemed that not one of the other survivors liked Sugar yet EVERYONE in the audience loves her. I'll give her props for her game and its unfortunate that she lost a loved one but her personality was annoying me from day one.

And I'll say it now just like I did earlier this season when I was defending her but I like Corrine. She's a huge bitch and smoking hot. She makes for good television. It's funny that some people here are so vile to Corrine yet don't notice that she's one of the few that walked away with close relationships with people (Charlie, Randy, Marcus and Bob).

That still doesn't excuse the comment she made to Sugar. She really does have ice in her heart. But I did find it funny that Sugar started crying during the next line of questioning.

Good season, good finale. A lot of great moments this season. I'm looking forward to January.
Old 12-14-08, 11:27 PM

Bob really needs to thank Sugar for giving him 1.1 million dollars.

I actually thought Susie was the most genuine and level headed during Final Tribal Council, no matter how annoying she may be.

Sugar obviously doesn't think she deserves a million dollars, which makes me kinda sad.

Bob's performance was piss poor. He won because Marcus, Charlie, Randy and Corinne are elitists.

At least Randy and Corinne were entertaining. Every time Marcus spoke, it was just one gigantic eyeroll after another.
Old 12-14-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I still hate having 3 in the final tribal council to decide who wins.

I'm still amazed that Susie got 3 votes, but then again, given the mental make-up of the jury, maybe I shouldn't be that amazed.

Glad that Bob took home $1.1 million. I wrote him off when it was down to 14 players, shows you that this game can change on a dime, and you just have to be prepared to roll with the punches and make moves when the opportunities present themselves.

Corinne's parents must be so proud of her outspokenness. not.
Old 12-14-08, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Nice to see Bob win.

The editing must have gone crazy this season. It seemed that not one of the other survivors liked Sugar yet EVERYONE in the audience loves her. I'll give her props for her game and its unfortunate that she lost a loved one but her personality was annoying me from day one.

And I'll say it now just like I did earlier this season when I was defending her but I like Corrine. She's a huge bitch and smoking hot. She makes for good television. It's funny that some people here are so vile to Corrine yet don't notice that she's one of the few that walked away with close relationships with people (Charlie, Randy, Marcus and Bob).

That still doesn't excuse the comment she made to Sugar. She really does have ice in her heart. But I did find it funny that Sugar started crying during the next line of questioning.

Good season, good finale. A lot of great moments this season. I'm looking forward to January.
Smoking hot? Not even close.

She wasn't even top 3 in looks among female survivors on a pretty weak season with regards to hot women.
Old 12-14-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Randy is still pissed off about that fucking cookie.

I really wish Jeff would have given Randy a cookie at the reunion show. A sugar cookie.
Old 12-15-08, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I really wish Jeff would have given Randy a cookie at the reunion show. A sugar cookie.

Way to go Bob
Old 12-15-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by TwineTime
Bob's performance was piss poor. He won because Marcus, Charlie, Randy and Corinne are elitists.
Bob wasn't great at final tribal, but I think he won b/c Marcus, Charlie and Corinne were alligned with him and genuinely liked him. Why wouldn't they vote for Bob? He was 100% loyal to all three of them, worked his ass off around camp and generally made the entire experience a more comfortable, enjoyable one for them. Plus, he won a lot of challenges. I'm not one of them, but people were clamoring for Ozzy to win a few years ago b/c he won challenges with little strategy. There was no Yul sitting in that final 3 tonight, and even though he took no credit in final tribal Bob did make strategic moves (certainly more than Ozzy did in Fiji). He almost saved Corinne 2 weeks ago.

Besides, there is no rule for Survivor juries that indicate you have to vote for someone b/c they played a better game, and while she controlled the last couple shows I think you can question the game strategy on every move Sugar made. Though it was clear from tonight's show that she couldn't have beaten any of them. Social game matters, and Sugar's crying and general childish behavior was held against her.

Before this show everyone always assumed Bob had this in the bag if he made final 3. I was never certain about Randy's vote, and I think tonight proved it. If Sugar had gotten her preferred final 3 I think Matty wins. Clearly Crystal and Kenny were not going for Bob or Sugar (I mean they voted for Susie...really...Susie...and the Kota 4 are the bitter ones?) Randy was tight enough with Matty that I think he would have voted for him instead and thrown the victory his way.
Old 12-15-08, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I know they don't show all of the last tribal council... but have we ever had 3 finalists who just didn't care about "playing the game" on the last day? Sugar, who probably had no chance anyway, didn't even bother trying, Bob was the same way, and Susie was just going on and on. What a terrible final tribal council.

edited to add: they have world tournaments for Super Smash Bros. Melee??? And Kenny wins because of his mindgames in that game? I thought he was an FPS or Starcraft player or something.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-15-08 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-15-08, 01:03 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Susie wasn't lookin' half-bad at the reunion.
Old 12-15-08, 01:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goat3001
She's a huge bitch and smoking hot.
I don't think there is another player in Survivor history that I disliked more than Corrine, she was an f-ing BITCH. If she had made those comments to me, I would have punched her in the face. That beings said, she does have a smokin' hot body.

Grats to Bob on winning the million. I knew he was a lock to win it once Sugar made one of the dumbest moves in Survivor history. I was rooting for Bob or Matty to win it all and Bob won, so I'm happy.
Old 12-15-08, 01:13 AM

When the vote was 3-1 Susie, was it clear to anyone else that Bob had won? (and they were just putting the votes in an order to build drama) Corrine seems like a nasty person but I tend to think (especially with her sales background), that she is going the extra mile to become an Omarosa-like personality that she will try to milk for as long as possible.

Survivor needs to change, it is getting stale:
1) Pick the best contestants, as opposed to making sure all demographic quotas are met. I will not mention the specific quotas, but it is pretty obvious that it is not random chance that most major demographic groups are represented in a sample size of ~14 people (this is statistically improbable in one season, in 10+ seasons it is nearly impossible)
2) Make it more about survival and cut back on the challenge benefits (in terms of food&comfort)
3) Add some complexity to the game. Maybe factor in the amount of tribal votes received in past tribals. Come up with a different way of getting the hidden immunity idol. (Maybe on some cumulative tasks at camp which lead to clues as opposed to exile island) Make the tribes more fluid (maybe challenges that allow a winning tribe to take one person off the other tribe or swap one member for another)
4) I would like to see people who made it further in the game have more power in the jury (person #10 should have less say than the person who lasted to 4th) - unfortunately this would probably be too complex for TV consumption.

And Jeff is an idiot! His statement that Bob should consider it a compliment that people wanted him to have the $100K, even after winning the mil. Wasn't the voting done BEFORE people knew he won? I hate it when people try to fit facts into what they want them to be and try to make a good story about it. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story!
Old 12-15-08, 01:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fujishig
I know they don't show all of the last tribal council... but have we ever had 3 finalists who just didn't care about "playing the game" on the last day? Sugar, who probably had no chance anyway, didn't even bother trying, Bob was the same way, and Susie was just going on and on. What a terrible final tribal council.

edited to add: they have world tournaments for Super Smash Bros. Melee??? And Kenny wins because of his mindgames in that game? I thought he was an FPS or Starcraft player or something.
It was kinda dull, but I thought Bob was "playing the game" during the jury trial. To me, he seemed to be trying to be all things to all people, playing it safe & trying hard not to offend anybody. He apologized to Randy & mentioned how he berated Sugar for so "mean" to poor widdle Wandy, sort of played along with Corrinne's stupid little "Nasty Bob" game (if he hadn't been playing, he could have just unloaded on Corrinne & put her in her place...then told her, "Well, you asked for nasty"), etc. I think Bob really wanted that money badly & was doing a 'prevent' strategy...play it low-key & try not to offend.

Of course, he didn't have to try too hard. Susie kept expressing how confident she was & how she really deserved it & Sugar...well, let's just say that Sugar was one of the most honest finalists ever. Her performance is what I'd always hoped to see at the end...she didn't suck up to people & cut off Randy's act cold. Had she taken the bait & tried to appease him, it seemed obvious that he would have gone on with his 'rude boy' act to continue his fifteen minutes of fame. Maybe Sugar figured (rightly) that she didn't have much (any, as it turned out) support & might as well go down with some dignity intact. I think she was genuinely sorry that she had hurt Kenny's feelings.

I hate the Final Tribals in which all finalists grovel & endure all manner of insults without fighting back. Regardless of why she did it, I applaud Sugar for speaking her mind & refusing to play along. Good on her for flipping off attention-whore Corrinne.
Old 12-15-08, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by creekdipper
I hate the Final Tribals in which all finalists grovel & endure all manner of insults without fighting back. Regardless of why she did it, I applaud Sugar for speaking her mind & refusing to play along. Good on her for flipping off attention-whore Corrinne.
Amen to that! If the best judge of a person's character is how they handle themselves when they fail (a theory which I subscribe to) - I think you learned a lot about the character (or lack thereof) of a lot of the jury.

The final tribal is very similar to a political race where you never (or rarely) get a straight, direct answer - you get words and answers that are hedged, at times carefully parsed and whose primary purpose is not to offend or alienate anyone (as opposed to conveying clear information).
Old 12-15-08, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper
It was kinda dull, but I thought Bob was "playing the game" during the jury trial. To me, he seemed to be trying to be all things to all people, playing it safe & trying hard not to offend anybody. He apologized to Randy & mentioned how he berated Sugar for so "mean" to poor widdle Wandy, sort of played along with Corrinne's stupid little "Nasty Bob" game (if he hadn't been playing, he could have just unloaded on Corrinne & put her in her place...then told her, "Well, you asked for nasty"), etc. I think Bob really wanted that money badly & was doing a 'prevent' strategy...play it low-key & try not to offend.

Of course, he didn't have to try too hard. Susie kept expressing how confident she was & how she really deserved it & Sugar...well, let's just say that Sugar was one of the most honest finalists ever. Her performance is what I'd always hoped to see at the end...she didn't suck up to people & cut off Randy's act cold. Had she taken the bait & tried to appease him, it seemed obvious that he would have gone on with his 'rude boy' act to continue his fifteen minutes of fame. Maybe Sugar figured (rightly) that she didn't have much (any, as it turned out) support & might as well go down with some dignity intact. I think she was genuinely sorry that she had hurt Kenny's feelings.

I agree on all counts.

Congrats, also, to a hometown guy for winning the whole thing! I don't know the man personally, but I have some kids who work for me that did have him for a teacher at school, and loved him. Anytime a kid can respect and say great things about a former teacher these days - it really says something not only about the character of that person, but to how well they were/are at their job, too.
Old 12-15-08, 02:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Yeah, it sure seems that way. No way that Randy could be a "wedding videographer" with the kind of attitude he displayed. He was trying way too hard to look cool during the Reunion questioning, but a few times he was having a really hard time holding back a grin.

Nobody who is that antisocial applies FIFTEEN TIMES to be on Survivor. He couldn't be in it for the money...what would he spend it on? Premium dog food?

My cynical side halfway believes that Survivor's producers overtly encourage a lot of that behavior. Regardless, every season sees some abrasive personalities. Some of them undoubtedly emerge due to the some of the physical hardships (remember the first seasons when the contestants were nearly starving to death?), strain of having to live in close quarters with strangers, unfamiliar environment & separation from family/friends, etc. Some of them are just cranky (Rudy from season 1, for instance).

However, it seems obvious to me that some contestants have figured out that they have a better chance of becoming some type of "celebrity" than they do of winnning $1 million; therefore, their best chance to be noticed is to play the villain of the piece. Who gets more ink? Christian Bale's Batman or Heath Ledger's Joker? Over the course of Survivor, we've seen some over-the-top goofballs, bullies, nutjobs, cranks, etc. I think Randy & Corrinne fall into the category of playing the bad boy/bad girl in order to get more air time.

And you know what? It works...almost every time. I'm sure Burnett & the other execs leap for joy every time they find a Randy.

Regarding the disconnect between the editing to show Sugar as likeable even though the other contestants didn't think much of her, I seem to remember a previous survivor discussing the much-loved (by the audience) Rupert & saying that the other contestants couldn't stand him & that the editors decided to make him the guy to root for.

Survivor thrives on identifying the distinctive characters, good or bad. It makes for compelling television & the audience eats it up. Randy's act was a good one, though. He managed to make it pretty convincing most of the time...I'll give him credit for that. Corrinne was far less convincing, especially her lame act at the council.

Last edited by creekdipper; 12-15-08 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-15-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad Bob won it. I've been going for him since day 1 when I saw that bow tie. Sad to see Sugar didn't get any votes. She played a pretty amazing mental game, even when she seemed to be leading with her heart a little too much. Randy is awesome, and I wish him all the grumpiness in the world.
Old 12-15-08, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Congrats to Bob ... seems a good guy, and a deserving winner I loved how he snuck off practicing his fire-making, while Matty was just lounging around thinking Bob was meditating on his last day in the game. Surprised he didn't know to set up a little wooden tee-pee before lighting the first spark (though Matty was so incompetent that it wasn't an issue). Not sure how he sucked so bad at the final challenge ... it was like the producers tried to come up with the most "pro-Bob" challenge they could.

They should really disqualify the overall winner from getting the "fan favorite" money too. Wasn't that the whole reason the producers started doing it - give the fans warm-and-fuzzies so a popular non-winner got something (starting with Rupert)?

Jeff sounded surprised that the audience cheered for Randy yet booed Corrine ... but it makes sense to me. Randy was obnoxious in a way that entertains. And there's a self-deprecating tone that hints that it's kind of a put-on. But watching Corrine just makes me cringe (I thought the "silent treatment" of Crystal was horrible, but she seriously should've been smacked for the dig at Sugar's father). If she thinks this will be a springboard to show business, I think she's in for a rude awakening.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.