Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
CSI: -- "19 Down..." -- 12/11/08 -- Laurence Fishburne Debut

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Grissom announces he is leaving CSI and it stuns his staff, but a murder that may be linked to an infamous serial killer commands everyone's attention. The latest victim's body is found dismembered in a trash bag along a creek. Evidence suggests the murder is connected to the so-called Dick and Jane Killer, who is now in jail. Grissom then attends a class taught by criminal pathologist Raymond Langston (Laurence Fishburne), hoping to gain insight into the case.

This is the last new CSI of 2008. It will return January 15th. William Petersen will make his final appearance on that episode.

Regarding Fishburne's character Dr. Raymond Langston:

Spoiler:

He will be offered a full-time position on episode 10 on January 15th. He will be hired as an entry level CSI 1

Old 12-11-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Regarding Fishburne's character Dr. Raymond Langston:

Spoiler:

He will be offered a full-time position on episode 10 on January 15th. He will be hired as an entry level CSI 1

Spoiler:
That probably means that Catherine takes over the team.
Old 12-11-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
It was alright, but NY and Miami were better.
Old 12-12-08, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought this was an excellent episode. When CSI does these multi-episode murder mystery story arcs, they're always top notch IMO.

The teleconference reminded me of the movie Copycat.
Old 12-12-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I liked this episode a lot.. but can't remember - did they catch the killer who killed that couple (Justine and ?)? how do they tie into this new serial killer guy?

Overall - much better that the let down with the miniature killer revisit last episode.
Old 12-12-08, 09:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I concur - great episode last night. The introduction of Fishburne was well-handled.
Old 12-12-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably the best episode of CSI that I've seen in quite a while. Although I can't say I've been into it as much since the miniature killer storyline concluded.
Old 12-15-08, 12:00 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I've missed most of the season but tuned in for this and enjoyed it quite a bit.
Old 12-15-08, 08:45 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Really enjoyed how they introduced Larry
Old 12-16-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Excellent way to introduce Fishburne. Excellent episode, although it was confusing as hell.

I liked all the little character moments when Grissom addressed each CSI personally, especially Wendy and David. Very touching. The others; Doc, Brass, Catherine & Hodges were pretty solid. Could have been better if they didn't try and squeeze them all into one episode. I guess Nick & Greg will get a moment with him in part II.
Old 12-18-08, 01:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I liked this episode a lot.. but can't remember - did they catch the killer who killed that couple (Justine and ?)? how do they tie into this new serial killer guy?
they never caught the killer of the "S&M Couple". They didn't have any evidence to lead them anywhere, except a shoeprint.

But they found that the shoeprint that was left in the blood of the "plastic bag guy" matched the shoeprint they had found before. They also then remarked how the S&M guy had 9 post-mortem stab wounds. At the time, they thought they were S&M related, but in this episode, they realized they were the next in the DJK killer's (or his accomplice or a copycat) line of victims.

now i have a question - The dead body at the end - with the bike. Was that one of the students in the lecture hall? The lighting wasn't great. I thought it was the guy that asked the other girl out for a drink, but couldn't confirm.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 12-18-08 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-18-08, 02:17 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Also wanted to comment on the use of the extreme zoom to see the logos on the concert-goers hats.

They took the video off of a website! And could have that level of detail? That's the one thing about the show that just continues to annoy me. I can deal with fingerprint matches being found in seconds rather than the actual days it probably takes to find a match... But that visual stuff is so unbelievable. And the worst part is, it's that stuff that typically ends up being a big turning point in the case (like the time they zoomed in on footage from a security camera and enhanced the image enough to read a bar code off of a plane ticket in the guy's hand).

ok, annoyance rant over.
Old 12-18-08, 03:56 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Also wanted to comment on the use of the extreme zoom to see the logos on the concert-goers hats.

They took the video off of a website! And could have that level of detail? That's the one thing about the show that just continues to annoy me. I can deal with fingerprint matches being found in seconds rather than the actual days it probably takes to find a match... But that visual stuff is so unbelievable. And the worst part is, it's that stuff that typically ends up being a big turning point in the case (like the time they zoomed in on footage from a security camera and enhanced the image enough to read a bar code off of a plane ticket in the guy's hand).

ok, annoyance rant over.
I thought the same thing. You'd be unlikely to get that kind of resolution from uncompressed HD camcorder footage, especially in that sort of light, let alone something from a low-res camera that is compressed to Youtube-type standards.