Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Struggling 4th place NBC sends 3 top executives packing

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Struggling 4th place NBC sends 3 top executives packing

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,3601996.story

The purging signals desperation at the peacock network, now No. 4.

By Meg James

December 6, 2008

NBC, in a move as harsh as it was swift, forced out three top programming executives Friday after a disastrous crash of its fall television season.

Gary Friedman / Los Angeles Times (left photo) and Chris Haston / NBC Universal
Ousted NBC programming executives Katherine Pope, left, and Teri Weinberg

The three -- Katherine Pope, Teri Weinberg and Craig Plestis -- all lost their high-profile jobs amid one of the most sweeping shake-ups in television. The purging signals the desperation of NBC Universal bosses to fix the network, which slid back into fourth place last week.

NBC's latest solution: It plans to announce next week that Angela Bromstad, who has been running a production unit for the company in London, will return to Los Angeles to become the network's chief programming executive.

She will assume a role that many expected Ben Silverman to fill when he joined the company nearly 18 months ago as co-chairman of NBC Entertainment. Silverman is negotiating a new contract with NBC that will include additional duties, according to two people familiar with the negotiations.

"Somebody's head had to roll," said David Scardino, a longtime television analyst with advertising agency RPA in Santa Monica. "But why these people? Maybe they were the ones who were picked to lay on the pavement so the bus could run over them."

The former first-place television network, once the proud home of "Must-See TV" and such award-winning shows as "Seinfeld," "Friends," and "Frasier," has been embroiled in management upheaval for more than two years.

Despite the musical chairs in the programming suites, the peacock network continues to lose viewers at a rapid pace. This season NBC's ratings are down 14% compared with the same time last season -- a new low.

Recently launched programs, including "Knight Rider," "Lipstick Jungle" and "My Own Worst Enemy," have all flopped as well as the heavily promoted special last week featuring Rosie O'Donnell. The sitcom "Kath & Kim" has performed below expectations. NBC's juggernaut drama "Heroes" also has stumbled badly, losing nearly half of its audience from its peak during its first season.

As part of the restructuring, NBC plans to collapse its two separate programming groups -- one at the network and the other at the TV production studio -- into one team managed by Bromstad. Bromstad, a former NBC studio chief, is a close ally of NBC Universal Chief Executive Jeff Zucker.

The move is intended to cut costs and eliminate the seemingly endless turf battles between programming executives at the network and the studio.

The situation came to a head Friday when Pope, president of the television studio, confronted her bosses, NBC Entertainment co-Chairmen Marc Graboff and Silverman, after an industry breakfast to honor women executives in entertainment. Pope sensed something was wrong when no one sought her input into a companywide restructuring that began this week.

Pope was told that her instincts were correct that she was being moved out and that NBC "would no longer be a place where she would want to work," according to a person who was present at the meeting with Graboff and Silverman.

The studio chief, who helped shepherd such shows as "Heroes" and "30 Rock," had clashed with Zucker on several occasions, including earlier this year when he split Pope's Universal Media Studios into two parts, handing half of her responsibilities to another programming executive. Pope's last day was Friday.

Silverman had brought his assistant, Weinberg, with him in June 2007 when he left his boutique TV production firm for NBC. But Weinberg's tenure as the No. 2 programmer was fraught with controversy, including lobbying for shows developed by her live-in boyfriend. Weinberg, who quickly alienated her staff, had never worked at a network and was suddenly charged with reading scripts, recommending what shows should be selected and meeting with advertisers.

Weinberg did not return a call to her office. She is expected to remain at NBC during a "transition" period before becoming a producer. NBC is also hiring Paul Telegdy, a BBC America executive who helped develop ABC's hit program "Dancing with the Stars." Telegdy will be in charge of alternative programming, taking over the duties of Plestis, who will remain at the company. Telegdy begins Jan. 5.

The shake-up was first reported by the website Deadline Hollywood Daily.

Scardino, the TV analyst, had started in the industry 45 years ago as a mail boy for NBC. He said the network has been losing ground for years, pointing to Zucker's tenure as programming chief in Burbank and the 2004 prime-time schedule that featured such misses as "LAX" and "Joey."

"You look at the shows they have been putting on the air and they are so generic. It's sad," Scardino said. "Ultimately people have to be judged by their results. Zucker took that network from first to fourth place; that's a fact that you can't escape."

James is a Times staff writer.

[email protected]
Chris
Old 12-06-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Whose dick is Zucker blowing that he still has a job? He started NBC's freefall.
Old 12-06-08, 11:26 AM

NBC should just cancel every show on the network except for Chuck and put it on 24/7. Maybe give the actors a few hours off a week.
Old 12-06-08, 12:43 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Whose dick is Zucker blowing that he still has a job? He started NBC's freefall.
Silverman is Zuckers boy. He is certainly not going to go anywhere. Gotta blame everyone else for the failures of almost all of NBCs 08/09 schedule.
Old 12-06-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
There was another article in Deadline Hollywood that mentioned the 500+ layoffs which I'm sure most of you have seen in the papers and evening news.

Here's the stuff that NBC is cutting that is freaking hilarious:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...to-super-bowl/

-- No staff is allowed to have personal printers. Printers in individual offices are being removed to save on toner and paper. All printing will be done from a central location for each department.

-- Each week Jeff Zucker in conjunction with Human Resources will be reviewing overtime charged by assistants, permanent and temporary.

-- Everyone including department and division heads must drop a class when traveling. No exceptions. For the Super Bowl in Tampa, all executives attending are to travel coach.

-- Six-month freeze on office supply spending.

-- Federal Express: No "priority" service or Saturday delivery permitted.
Old 12-06-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off with their heads whoever canceled Journeyman and Las Vegas and put on Knight Rider.
Old 12-06-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Off with their heads whoever canceled Journeyman and Las Vegas and put on Knight Rider.
That would be Ben Silverman.
Old 12-06-08, 01:36 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Amen to that. Journeyman and Las Vegas or Knight Rider and Lipstick Jungle...hmmm...tough choice!
Old 12-06-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The big problem with NBC is they don't have any "tent pole" shows to consistently prop up ratings with the possible exception of their Sunday night NFL football game broadcast--and those will end pretty soon. Even their best night of programming--Thursdays--can't compete against the powerhouse programs on ABC and CBS in the same night, especially with CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and Grey's Anatomy consistently getting huge ratings despite being opposite each other.
Old 12-06-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not going to totally bash NBC, they did a very decent thing... not only giving FNL a full first season, but a second one as well. The ratings didn't warrant either.... And then they joined forces w/ Dtv so we could get a third.
I'm not sure who exactly is responsible for all of this.. but I hope it wasn't one of the three that got canned.
Old 12-06-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know a lot about the management of NBC but kicking out those responsible for getting Heroes and 30 Rock on the air and bringing in a reality programming guy doesn't seem like a great move. Maybe it will be for the network's bottom line but not for programming quality, IMHO.
Old 12-06-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Zucker and Silverman are idiots, and this network will go down until somebody at Universal figures that one out. I don't understand how NBC could give Ancier and Reilly such short leashes but give Z&S every opportunity to ruin the network. It's pathetic.
Old 12-06-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
I don't know a lot about the management of NBC but kicking out those responsible for getting Heroes and 30 Rock on the air and bringing in a reality programming guy doesn't seem like a great move. Maybe it will be for the network's bottom line but not for programming quality, IMHO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Reilly

Those responsible for Heroes and 30 Rock are essentially Kevin Reilly. We lost that battle when Silverman came aboard.
Old 12-06-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
There was another article in Deadline Hollywood that mentioned the 500+ layoffs which I'm sure most of you have seen in the papers and evening news.

Here's the stuff that NBC is cutting that is freaking hilarious:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...to-super-bowl/
I know where they can get a good deal on paper
Old 12-06-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
I don't know a lot about the management of NBC but kicking out those responsible for getting Heroes and 30 Rock on the air and bringing in a reality programming guy doesn't seem like a great move.
Heroes and 30 Rock... two decent shows (OK, one and a half) out of how many? Doesn't seem like they had a winning percentage to me.
Old 12-06-08, 10:27 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
I'm not going to totally bash NBC, they did a very decent thing... not only giving FNL a full first season, but a second one as well. The ratings didn't warrant either.... And then they joined forces w/ Dtv so we could get a third.
I'm not sure who exactly is responsible for all of this.. but I hope it wasn't one of the three that got canned.
They canceled Freaks and Geeks. Idiots in my opinion.
Old 12-08-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
They canceled "Manimal" and "Hello, Larry". I have no use for NBC.
Old 12-08-08, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
They canceled "Manimal" and "Hello, Larry". I have no use for NBC.
***Moving to the 80's forum***

Chris
Old 12-08-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Katherine Pope looks hot. If she is looking for work, I have a position on my staff she can have.
Old 12-08-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby

And maybe if they put on a show that got good rating these people would still have a job.
Old 12-08-08, 04:47 PM
FuQ

I think they are hanging on too much to the past. Thursday night will no longer be a "must see" TV night. CBS has it locked up and have for many years. They should move the Thursday shows to Tuesday and then put Chuck on at 10 after them. Have comedy lead into comedy. Whose idea was a Rosie variety show? They really have the pulse of American, don't they? I love Chuck, 30 Rock, Earl, The Office and Conan. They have nothing else that looks remotely interesting to me. I'm shocked Chuck has made it this far.