TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

House -- "Let Them Eat Cake" -- 12/2/08

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I have to say this...

I haven't watched this week's ep yet but I did watch last week's so forgive me if anything drastically changed this week. But how does this show do the SAME thing every week and stay on for 5 years? Don't get me wrong, I really like the show and I watch every week. But I can't ignore this fact.

1. Sick person gets sick
2. Doctors try to figure it out
3. House is consulted and acts like an ass
4. House sends Doctors out to find causes while acting like an ass
5. Doctors make a guess and are wrong
6. House arrogantly announces the cause and cure and acts like an ass
7. House is wrong and acts like an ass
8. Sick person develops new symptoms ( Cue graphic SFX)
9. Doctors guess wrong again
10. House makes another proclamation and acts like an ass
11. Sick person gets sicker ( cue graphic SFX if needed)
12. House is wrong again and acts like an ass
13. Cuddy tries to be House's Boss and is shot down and or totally disrespected
14. Something random happens
15. House see the answer and figures it all out and saves the day/patient and acts like a slightly humbled ass
Because the show still has a progressive story arc and the writing is top notch. Never underestimate awesome writing...
Old 12-04-08, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kenage
No. I meant all day at work and after I got home hours before the episode aired. Maybe they preview for the episode had that song in it. I have no idea.
they did have the crazy lady singing it in the previews...who knows though
Old 12-04-08, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to say this...
But how does this show do the SAME thing every week and stay on for 5 years? Don't get me wrong, I really like the show and I watch every week. But I can't ignore this fact.

Great characters, great chemistry between some of them, great story lines between some of them.

You could say the same thing about law and order, and that show has been around what 20 years? first half police, 2nd half lawyers.
Old 12-04-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Because the show still has a progressive story arc and the writing is top notch. Never underestimate awesome writing...

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Great characters, great chemistry between some of them, great story lines between some of them.

You could say the same thing about law and order, and that show has been around what 20 years? first half police, 2nd half lawyers.
Nope. Well, maybe. I think there's more too it but I can't figure it out. For some reason deeper than those mentinoed, Fans have simply stuck with it while overlooking this same ole same ole every week. Again, I watch too so I'm not trying to bring the show down.

But there have been plenty of shows that are this repetitive each week with all the same positives mentioned and they didn't last past 2 seasons.
Old 12-04-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But there have been plenty of shows that are this repetitive each week with all the same positives mentioned and they didn't last past 2 seasons.
None of those shows had Hugh Laurie, or anyone even close. His performance carries the show, and people tune in to watch him.
Old 12-04-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Lisa Edelstein has been great lately.
Old 12-04-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenage
So how much will Kutner get to take home after he pays everyone else off?
If I recall correctly, he'll actually be out-of-pocket 5% of each consultation, with Taub taking 30%, Chase taking 25%, and House taking 50%... which would explain the crestfallen expression as he did the math.
Old 12-04-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe

In addition, L&O set the bar for hearing the same thing each episode.

- Detectives while interviewing and following leads find out the witness is hesitant. They always have to say stuff like "we don't care about the weed" or "we're not vice" or "here's a get-out-of-jail-free card".

- I couldn't even guess how many juries come back without a verdict, the judge asks "Do think if you were given more time you could reach a decision?" and the jury foreman says "No, we are hopelessly deadlocked".

- As many times as defense attorneys on the show file motions to exclude evidence, you'd think the DA's wouldn't act so surprised when they get the motions.

- Again, how many times can the police botch these searches leading to evidence that gets excluded?

- Judges always dismiss the case initially b/c of evidence turned up as a result of the bad searches, and "therefore become fruit of the poisonous tree". Can't count how many times you hear that phrase.

I know there's a bunch of other phrases that are repeated time and time again and the exact same situation occurring. It's like every single time in The Practice, they would be told "Jury's back" and they and they react "What!?! Already?!?" every single time every episode.

That said I liked original L&O about the first 10 years, not so much after that. House assery tired me a bit last season and the beginning of this season. It's been better the last few episodes though.
Old 12-04-08, 11:25 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
Lisa Edelstein has been great lately.
Yes. Been enjoying the twins on her lower back part and upper front for the past few weeks.
Old 12-04-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
More Lisa E. is always good in my book.
Old 12-04-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yes. Been enjoying the twins on her lower back part and upper front for the past few weeks.
you said it